Firefox terminating developer edition

ghacks.net/2017/04/16/firefox-aurora-end/
Firefox is killing their developer edition aka aurora starting with 53 this wednesday, meaning that only stable, beta, and nightly will remain. If you like using developer edition, they'll release a special edition of firefox beta will all the features of developer edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2016/08/14/override-firefox-add-on-signing-requirement/
blog.nightly.mozilla.org/
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ricing your wm doesn't make you a developer, user

You don't need to be a developer to use aurora, you don't have to deal with stuff like mandatory extension signing and it's generally more stable and less buggy than nightly.

Winding down to save resources.

Well, it's not like their user base loss is out of the blue. The stiff developers, the browser and the support are really horrid, so what did you expect?

>killing their developer edition aka aurora
>release a special edition of firefox beta will all the features of developer edition.

So, did you mean they are going to rename it or soemthing? Since those 2 things contradict each other.

No, they're killing off the aurora channel meaning that updates will come to beta 6 weeks earlier than usual. The developer edition is going to be based off beta, rather than the different aurora channel.

Are you trying to tell me that the developer version was a pre-beta, but now developers are supposed to just use the beta?

Developer and Aurora were always the same thing. The original cycle was nightly, aurora, beta and then stable. Now it's just nightly, beta, and stable. One less release in the cycle. They're still going to release a special edition of beta for those who like the tools that came with developer edition.

If you're already on developer edition, you'll just be bumped straight to beta since the channel is getting dropped.

kys idiot
they are renaming it and moving to beta not removing developer. fuckking faggot

Did you even read the article you mongoloid? They're deleting the channel, not the browser.

Holy shit the inbreeding. You're moving across topics too.

You should have been drowned at birth you cock gargling halfwit.

>12 weeks from nightly to release instead of 18
watch shit going up in flames left and right.

If you're using developer edition nothing changes. You'll stay on 54 for another 6-8 weeks and then you'll move to 55 along with the people in beta. Not a huge change really.

another nail in the coffin for SJWFox!

godd riddance, piece of shit browser

I've been wondering when they would do this.

Beta has been like a second stable release for years now because Mozilla is overly cautious with introducing new features. Maybe now they'll use Beta like an actual development channel.

Stable moves to 53
Beta moves to 54
Aurora remains on 54
Nightly remains on 55

Developer Edition customizations made by Mozilla will remain for previously installed versions of Firefox. The Developer Edition installer will install Beta instead of Aurora for new installs. To the end user nothing really changes

Is there still a way to escape automatic addon signing? I fucking hate using outdated extentions from the addon store rather than loading .xpi files.

Addon signing can be disabled in Developer Edition and Nightly.

Yeah.

ghacks.net/2016/08/14/override-firefox-add-on-signing-requirement/

nobody gives a fuck about firefox

Right, and in June when the numbers all advanced together there will only be 3 channels.

You do because you replied.

If you're already on developer edition, you get bumped to beta automatically.

finally!
even the beta sucks ass. it should only be stable (esr and non ers) and nightly. who da fuck wants to test features outside of nightly?

Good, who uses anything other than stable or nightly?

@59937169
Kill yourself, shit for brains.

>who da fuck wants to test features outside of nightly?
The purpose of beta is to stabilize APIs and features so devs have something solid to work with that cannot just randomly break the next day.

hahahahahahahHAHAHAAAAAAAA

with less users? how does that work?
i might be wrong but im almost sure that nightly has more users than the beta

This means updates come faster

>all of them have legs
>firefox is the only one with arms and hands
really makes you think

People like Nightly for some reason. They really should have been using Aurora but for some reason people like Nightly. Mozilla even customized it to make it more attractive for developers but maybe it didn't help as much. Although combining Aurora and Beta is probably for the best since the two channels aren't very different anyway.

>updates come faster
why do you fucks need so many updates? this is why modern software is shit. e.g. android

>People like Nightly for some reason
new features, duh. plus you get to help if you find a bug and submit a report/fix.
>Mozilla even customized it to make it more attractive for developers
wasted worktime, if people wanted stability they go with stable channel, if they want new features with the occasional breakage they go with nightly. i cant think of a time ive ever wanted to be a part of a release channel (for whatever) where "new and old things kinda work"

Getting features to the end user faster.

>I hate getting new features
stay on your ancient version of firefox then?

Big part of why android is shit is the lack of updates for many devices.

>using anything beyond firefox-esr/icecat
No thanks.

I wonder if they do fix the ALSA only bug they'll apply it to ESR 52 as well.

Aurora gets new features as well but without the possibility of them being disabled or removed the next day. It's just 6-8 weeks behind nightly so you still get access to new features very quickly but no random updates that render the browser near unusable. Plus updating every night is kinda annoying anyway.

>i cant think of a time ive ever wanted to be a part of a release channel (for whatever) where "new and old things kinda work"
Aurora is nowhere near as unstable as you seem to believe it is. If nightly is stable enough for you the aurora is even more so. Beta was basically redundant, it was almost as stable as stable but 1 version ahead.

>1+ month
>very quickly
uh?
>updating every night
manually update whenever?
>If nightly is stable enough for you the aurora is even more so
>if nightly doesnt break often then aurora breaks even less often
ftfy, still dont see a need for it. if i want stability i will go to the stable channel, preferably the esr one

Ever since the CEO of Mozilla was fired/pushed out/resigned, the company has made one ugly mistake after another. Now "Brown People Are The Alltime Greatest Everything Ever" Firefox is losing its user base at an alarmingly rapid rate, and Mozilla has no idea what to do to reverse it. No one is going to transfer from SJWfox to Chrome or any Chrome derivative, but Mozilla's stumble has opened the door for other browsers to acquire a massive new audience. Indeed, Mozilla's failure has inspired the development of new FOSS browsers.

Okay that's fine then, but there is a reason pre-release builds exist outside of your bubble.

Thank you, saved.

Cool irrelevant rant bro.

how come firefox nightly is so much better than stable? watching streams make firefox sluggish meanwhile it's perfectly smooth on nightly

>your bubble
sure, but if hardly no one is going to touch them besides the automated vm test bots, whats the point in allocating all the resources for it (build, testing, download, etc.)?

Nightly is a chaotic place where devs are constantly testing newer more efficient ways to do things. Sometimes these things break stuff and they have to be reverted back but usually the buildbots can catch severe breakages. Sometimes weird stuff gets through anyway. It might also be a new profile, Mozilla recommends creating a new profile for Nightly since there is the remote possibly that it can corrupt your existing profile.

could be it. I didn't create a new profile for nightly. maybe that's the reason firefox stable is so sluggish

Nice, just fucking great: Here comes the sexist shit to derail the the fucking thread. Just fuck off to Sup Forums with this toxic and unfunny shit. NO ONE thinks this is funny and it's frankly horrendous and offensive. So read my lips: FUCK OFF.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting

blog.nightly.mozilla.org/

This blog is updated about every week or so and highlights some of the more notable changes of that week. It might help you get an idea of what changed.

thanks user, I'll keep my eye on it

What alsa bug?

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
Firefox 52 made a mandatory pulseaudio requirement for GNU/Linux. Mozilla insists it's a feature, but others insist it's a bug. Either way, I don't want mandatory pulseaudio with firefox.

>I work on Moz://a
save me guys

Don't worry, ESR 52 is the last good firefox to use.