Whats stopping us from making a more retarded version of this...

Whats stopping us from making a more retarded version of this? How long till we get robots that can move their limbs in a fluid way? Tired of seeing robots that walk like they shit themselves. Not an expert in any form of Robotics so just give me the facts.

Also why the fuck do all the current robots have creepy baby faces?

Uncanny valley, it'd be better off if they didn't try to emulate people's faces and just make cute pixar robot faces

A long time. It's really hard to make perfectly fluid on the fly movements.

>make fun of robots for walking like faggots
>they leave for mars without us right before the earth kills half of the planet

It doesn't really seem that difficult to simulate a movement though. From what I keep seeing, the only reason it seems so rigid is because only one joint at a time. Like if you were to look at something to the right and below you, you wouldn't turn your head perfectly right and look down, you would gradually look down and to the right at the same time. Who the fuck cares if it takes that long to process, the outcome would look much better. Honestly, wouldn't it be better for the robot to process the movement required, turn it into a list of actions to do with the motor, and just follow through with it as fast as possible? Or am I completely retarded?

Maybe it was a canon of robot face since 1920 (Metropolis). 3CPIO original concept art was based on robot from that film. Other robots looked therefore similar to the pattern.

>I don't know anything about robotics
>let me just shit up the board with dumb assumptions based on vague feelings about how something might work

Computers are retards that need to be told what to do in order to work

It's extremely hard to replicate fluid movement, which makes humans even more astounding machines. We can move fluidly, and extremely fast. It's amazing from a mechanical standpoint

Then prove that my assumptions are retarded fag.

It goes like this: if you thought about something you think will be revolutionary, in this day and age, it'salready been done, and if it hasn't, then most likely it's either been tried and was not efficient, or downright impossible.

its extremely difficult, your mind is making thousands, if not millions of calculations per second just by walking in a straight line. There are tons of tiny micro-adjustments and subtle muscle contractions used for every basic action.

also this quote which I found on google:
>If the human brain were a computer, it could perform 38 thousand trillion operations per second. The world's most powerful supercomputer, BlueGene, can manage only .002% of that.

sure we probably wont need robots with full human mental capacity to walk normally, but we are no where remotely close to the level of complexity needed for that either

So you're saying my assumptions are retarded because you assume its inneficient and imposible? That really activated my almonds.

No computer can make the amount of calculations required to make smooth movements.
So yes, in a way, it is currently impossible.

READ ALL THE OTHER POSTS IN THIS THREAD YOU FUCKING RETARD

Reading Asimov actually made me wish that robotics as a science will never progress very far.

Trips of truth.

I like this answer alot. The thing that gets me though is that a robot brain shouldn't be treated like a human brain unless you want the robot to learn from its mistakes. The way I look at it, for a robot to be as fast and fluid as a human in terms of movement, its going to have to do pre-assigned movements and correct them in while doing it. Whereas a human thinks about where and how they're stepping at a location. That paired with very heavy feet should make a stable robot no? What I'm trying to say is, its not about simulating human movement, its about mimicking it to a certain extent. Robots, unlike humans can be constantly modified to improve the areas that people lack.

Chill fag boi. Everyone else is actually providing useful information.

*improve the areas that they lack.

Has anyone tried a machine learning algorithm to teach a robot to walk?

Keep reading then. Unless you skipped the part that the robots destroyed Earth to let its people establish a galactic empire.

Just make a robot that prepares food and I'll be happy.

In simulations maybe, but simulations can't replicate everything in the physical world offers.

>3CPIO
It's C3PO you fucking 12 year old redditor

You don't want a punchcard meal selector?

Thanks for correction.