Hard drive is making "crunching" sounds

>hard drive is making "crunching" sounds

That means it's doing heavy transfers, I hear it all the time.

>laptop is making burning smells

Don't buy SeaGate.

>in the library
>laptop sounds like it's about to take off

>sleeping
>woke up to my pc's hdd making loud crunching noises like OP
>can't go back to sleep, go over to my desk and turn the monitor on
>as soon as this happens it stops and goes dead silent

It's a Toshiba drive from 2012. PassMark DiskCheckup says the drive is OK, but I'm pretty spooked right now.

Backup just in case

pretty common with macbooks. it's more of a burning vagina smell though

Put Linux on a thumb drive, boot it up. Carefully back up yo files. Never backup shit that's easily redownloadable like steam games. Just makes the HD work harder, killing it faster.

Defrag?

This is APM.

I'm fucking tired of seeing this shit on Sup Forums. If your data isn't in at least 2 and preferably 3 places at any one time, it may as well not exist. If you can't afford a second HDD, you never could afford the first one. It's piss fucking easy to set up a "good enough" backup system. If you have macOS it's even built in and if not there are five trillion third party solutions.

It's like you've come to a car enthusiast's forum and stressing about how your battery is getting flaky. I mean... either you replace the bad part or you run the risk, what else is there to say? Back your fucking data up if you've been too stupid to do it already, buy a third drive for standby, and when your 2012 Toshiba fails you can just shrug and swap them and clone back and be back at work in an hour. It's really really simple.

Maybe you are in Nambia and truly cannot afford another HDD. In that case I feel sorry for you. But your English is good so I assume you're either from the Anglosphere or a rich part of Western Europe.

iktf
I can't afford a new one reeeeeeeee

Does it work though? I've never been able to make it work. It never makes any difference.

>implying anyone here has anything that truly needs a raid or backup

Windows?
Could be: .NET optimization service doing maintenance, file indexing service cleaning up, scheduled defrag (normally happens at 3 am), just us collecting your data. Don't worry too much about it. Good luck.

Nobody needs RAID for personal stuff, everyone needs backups.

why?

People tend to shrug off the idea of backups and then panic when they realise their photos of their newborn are gone forever because they refused to copy and paste their stuff every so often.

>SSD is slow as shit

>keeping photos of your newborn on a volatile device

doesn't justify backups.

>Never backup shit that's easily redownloadable like steam games
This. Anything that can be redownloaded with little or medium effort, leave it on the drive and use IT for your disposable media.

Only backup very important things and rare things.
You'll never get my old Sup Forums memes. Neither will I. Thanks Seagate.

Stop with this meme

Fuck off Seagate.
I've had 4 of your drives fail and I still have drives from the 90s that work.
I've got a friend that has had SEVEN of them fail and only one from any other company.
Many others.

Seagate are literal dirt-tier drives.
You get what you pay for, cheap trash.

i have two old samsung hard drives that both have been used a enormous amount of time so they're everything but in good health. One is used for seeding & backup, the other is straight up backup.
one day while waking up (that was 1 month ago), i could hear those horrible crunching noises from the hard drives. Strangely enough both still work perfectly fine at respectable speeds (120 MB/s both, 2009 hard drives)
I still hear that noise from times to time but i don't really give a shit, i have a total of 7 hard drives my backup weights only 178GB and it's stored in 5 different hard drives, soon to be 6

just trade HDD with blowjob on craiglist FFS

>hard drive sounds like a sink garbage disposal

>buy Hitachi
It fails
>buy WD
It fails

I'm convinced all HDDs are shit

Old seagate is good, but never buy seagate because they fail misarably and it's a backdoored NSA/USA brand, like WD.

The only hdd you may buy is toshiba.

Really, old Sup Forums memes are so important to you?

my hard drive is making clicking noises
i need to wipe this clean
how do i do this properly so that when i toss it, assholes can't retrieve data from it

Someone asked that about recording the deaths of everyone several thousand years ago.

Future generations MUST KNOW!
THEY MUST KNOW ABOUT EMO DUCK AND OPTIMIZED GIF DUDE