ReactOS is getting pretty close to being a stable every day OS...

ReactOS is getting pretty close to being a stable every day OS. If they can get it to Windows XP level of function will you switch to it in 2020 when Windows 7 dies?

Other urls found in this thread:

reactos.org/getbuilds/
youtube.com/watch?v=eHuSPBO9g0g&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=WIXlRyMtNcw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ubuntu mate is the patrician choice.

I'm glad ReactOS is libre because it'll make emulation of windows possible on other distros.

Gentoo Cinnamon is even better

>l0:4l PM

delet

if it can run muh games sure

Last time I tried it gave me like 3 bluescreens in a timespan of 2 hours. It's pretty accurate to Windows already

Why spend so much effort replicating trash?

If it can handle gaymes without any serious performance issues that would be great. We'd have a FOSS platform for all 32-bit Windows compatible games, which is pretty significant.

Because a shitload of good software only works on that trash.

>\
ugh

>Windows XP
>Trash

Not even similar.

>If they can get it to Windows XP level of function will you switch to it in 2020 when Windows 7 dies
>Using KGB OS

But Windows 7 isn't dying, it just won't have future support, which who the fuck even needs anyway

>KGB OS
will I become a hacker?

Xubuntu is already better. Why bother with the exception of what said. WINE will be better for it.

>KGB OS
Gov't doesn't gib moneys to ReactOS

I'll wait for Kids ReactOS

I thought the ruskies were giving money to the project so they can eventually dump windows in favor of it.

underrated post

Probably.

If it can run all the professional software available for windows I'm definitely game. I really like the shells on linux, but beyond that it has absolutely shit to offer. A bunch of half-baked "FOSS alternatives" to real software which only rabid fanboys who never actually use it would consider a valid substitute.

And these fanboys just keep stroking their own ego by telling themselves people don't want linux because they're just not smart enough, while in reality people just don't give a shit about what OS they have, they just want to use good software, made by professionals, not autistic hobbyists. Even Apple understands that.

Anyone run this on real hardware?

Agree completely

I'd switch to Mac OS if Nutella keeps going in this direction.

My computers are pretty compatible.

fucking rustfags need to all die

yeah who needs security patches when nation state 0days get leaked

I doubt WINE will ever not feel like a total hackjob. I'd rather just have a 1:1 OS than some rickety compatibility layer you need to custom rig to every indovidual application.

The projects aren't unrelated. They share developers.

They tried several times to get fundation, but government doesn't seem to be interested in the project.
Maybe Microsoft bribes them.

>C:\>ls
>Bad command or filename - ls
This is going to be fun.

>UNIX commands on NT/DOS system

You have WINE for that.

it's dir, mong

Driver support for non-common shit will break it

But why would we imitate shit? We already won on a front, we forced Microsoft to implement Bash on Windows 10. Why don't we force their hand even further until a point where they go bankrupt?

thats like saying linux imitates bsd kernel
why dont you research some basic facts before
you state your uneducated oppinions?

The fuck? Both BSD kernel and Linux is based on UNIX you fucking retard.

try this
reactos.org/getbuilds/

youtube.com/watch?v=eHuSPBO9g0g&feature=youtu.be

youtube.com/watch?v=WIXlRyMtNcw

I've been wanting to ask if you guys generally get a beter experience running programs in wine on top of linux or on reactos?

>windows XP software
>good
lolno

The delusions of basement dwelling NEET timesinkOS fags, ladies and gentlemen.

>basement dwelling NEET
You are saying it like it is worse compared to the indian shitskins?

>hobby OS
The same OS running on supercomputers. The same os running on most servers. The same os running on majority of Google engineers' computers. The same OS running on most programmers computers'. AHAHA. COMPARED TO YOUR GAYMING OS.

>compared to the indian shitskins
This, russian hackers >>> indian technicians

>will you switch to it in 2020 when Windows 7 dies?
No, but I'll replace my Windows 7 VMs with it.

>it's stable
Those are some pretty low standards for an operating system in 2017.

ReactOS and Wine share a lot of things.

Don't you think stability is the most important factor?

No it isn't

Not at all.

majority of google devs just own a mac, they don't use their own HIGHLY tweaked version of linux for servers, which is so far removed it's basically the kernel with all custom google softare running on it.

By 2020 it'll be stable enough to run an entire day without crashing. Maybe.

I'll be surprised if they even have a compositing window manager by then.

Gosh

Whenever I install VMware tools in reactos I get errors popping up, then the system bluescreens on the next reboot. Also browsing is pretty buggy as Firefox never seems to redraw shit correctly.

The fact that this has remained the case for the past few years makes me think it's unlikely it will ever be stable enough for daily usage.

That doesn't mean that it still isn't almost two decades behind Windows in development.

>two decades
Everything after the Windows 7 era is shit, anyway.

nice meme

When it can run games, I'll be on it.

When it reaches Windows 7 levels I'll use it.

It can. Sometimes.

It does run Age of Empires and Skyrim.

>slow
>can only use fat32
>can't install any program that uses drivers
>fonts in firefox are still broken (wtf)
>still can't display minimize/maximize/close buttons in firefox

>fonts
That is just Windows rendering.
You get the same experience.

i like to play video games so no

Just a few dlls and libraries.(along with the browser if you want to install it)

However the way wine works on linux and reactos is really different

Wine on linux uses many hacky tactics to make software work

Reactos doesn't

Look at the office 2010 blogs in their website to understand

>can't install any program that uses drivers
What did he mean by this?

WINE
Is
Not an
Emulator

Neither ReactOS is.

>Age of empires
Sold.
I should try it out the next time my friends get together to play that.
If it can it run more modern games like generals, I might start to use it on my desktop.

> which is so far removed it's basically the kernel with all custom google softare running on it.
> make menuconfig
> add "Google software" modules
> make
Ooooh so removed

I'll switch tomorrow if it actually works.

Give me an XP interface with XP speed on top of 64-bit and no major hardware or software issues for the majority of mainstream shit. That "works." If I have to play around some with minor shit for unusual hardware or software, no problem. Give me an interface as light and customizable as XP with improvements on controlling the look/feel/layout ... I'll jerk off on it every morning and every night until I run out of semen.

> no major hardware or software issues for the majority of mainstream shit
You're out of luck because you'll need XP drivers.

what about support for winblows viruses? :^)

Based on Windows NT so yes!

sure if it support muh gayming gpu.

Fuck no faggot. I'm already on 10. Why would I go backwards in time?

But what does our Lord and Savior RMS thinks about it?

XP is already unusable, if they get to win7 level I'll switch. As long as it supports dx10 or 9 I'm fine.

Screen tearing.

>NT
>Trash

The trash is on top of it...

>Window manager in kernel
>Someone somewhere thought this was a good idea.

Even if normal windows was FOSS I'd still use Linux so no.

XFCE/Xubuntu already exists though user

>stable
sadly it's not

it's a good idea

Only if it runs all my gay men

is this the one with the custom filesystem?

Hmm.. Maybe its time I install that onto my space PC here, and see if it will run some retro gaymes.

Not it's not

every reactOS video is a damn virtual machine. I hate this

its just a meme language, there will be some new SJW shit shilled next year and Rust will all "eww its so shitty" then.

it was said countless times that if Linux had a similar setup, desktop Linux / gaming on Linux would no longer be a distant dream.

but then people said "fuck it" and made 10 new standard shit display managers, DEs and whatnot just for the fuck of it.

because who the fuck cares about users anyway.

looks like shite

Looks pretty aesthetic, honestly.

It all seems to be finally converging on GNOME and Wayland thankfully, but there will always be those retarded stragglers ruining everything for everyone.

No gaems

Wayland does not even work. Try setting a custom resolution. Or fixing mouse acceleration. It's fucking fucked.

Gnome? The piece of shit DE that requires 3D acceleration otherwise it's unusable? That bloated fuck that is made to display a single Firefox window with Tumblr? That piece of shit that randomly starts to eat 100% cpu on one thread? That stinking piece of crap that needs 100 extensions and CSS edits to be usable?

Holy fuck we are saved.
Well... not exactly.

The kernel also handles text rendering and scrollbars

Still looks better than Windows 7, 8, and 10