Don't tell me this is the max Intel can get Skylake-EX in DIMM count without affecting bandwidth...

Don't tell me this is the max Intel can get Skylake-EX in DIMM count without affecting bandwidth? Are you fucking serious? Naples has 32 fucking DIMMs slots.

anandtech.com/show/11277/upcoming-lga3647-skylake-xeons-a-tyan-2p-skylakesp-motherboard-leaked

Naples could actually go up to 48 in a 2P format.

Where would you fit that?

And how can you get 48 DIMMs from 8 memory channels per CPU? Isn't 32 max?

How did Intel allow AMD to catch up and arguably pass them? They were so far ahead.

Kek
DIMMlets BTFO

Why do enterprise motherboards look so bland?

Why are gaymers so retarded?

>no steel reinforced PCIE slots
>no VRM heatsinks
>no cool PCB color
>no RGB

it's SHIT

Server mobos are the sexiest things ever after blade servers and 4U racks

Not enough disco lighting and "armor" on it for you?

Naples supports three dimms per channel

Imagine the NUMA latency of all those chips just being so fucking far from the socket...

I only saw 2DPC on specs.

You'll never see a 2P system with it but some 1P will probably do it. It's one of features thats technically supported but not really officially supported, like ECC on Ryzen.

I'll believe in 3DPC Naples when I see it.

Question remains, things are already full horizontally with 32, where would 48 go without affecting latency?

Is it time for Socket DRAM traces using light?

Oyy-veyy delet

High-speed optical transceivers, especially on standard ASIC silicon, just aren't cheap enough.

What's probably going to happen is that 2.5D/3D stacking with on-package HBM/whatever will coexist with external memory modules targeted for high density and low power. People will be surprised in several years to look back and see how much systems will come to resemble what AMD's doing with Vega now.

kek, Naples will fuck intel to death

Put zero into R&D for more than 5 years. Bet it all on Mobil with low energy and heat efficiency being the focus.

Fail miserably.

I doubt Skylake is 1DPC

it will 100% assuredly do 2DPC, but who knows about 3DPC.

There simply isn't enough width in a standard 19" rackmount chassis to fit 36 DIMMs with 2 sockets with enough pins for 6 DDR4 channels.

That leaves full sized 1P systems that need maximal RAM, which aren't exactly a huge part of the market.

Think AMD has more flexibility here? Naples literally has 4 separate memory controllers, 1 per die and 2 channels per die.

You know this makes the future even more interesting, AMD already can get a single CCX with dual channel memory, it's there in Raven Ridge, what's stopping them in a year or two from putting 3 channels on a die?

Not him, but Intel's monolithic memory controller tops out at 10 cores, any more and you're splitting it between complexes.

It's an interesting question, since AMD probably wants to maintain bandwidth:compute ratios in 12c Zen+ dies, but it's hard to see how 12 channels per socket could even be used.

I really expect HMB2 L4 caches to start becoming a thing, since each stack has ~13x the bandwidth of a DDR4-2400 channel.

Right now Ryzen's Infinity Fabric crossbar runs at ~35-50 GB/s (32B*half memory nominal clock), though it could conceivably be clocked twice as high to not bottleneck Naples MCMs.

Even a single HBM2 stack is way overkill at 204/256 GB/s, unless the 1024b interface is actually multiple independent channels that could be shared by multiple future Zen dies.

It's 256 bit bi-directional senpai

that's what he said, famalam.

He said 32 bit

capital "B" = Byte you retard

That's what happens when you think your opponent will never catch up. Intel too cocky. Hopefully this sets them straight.

Intel invested well

>Chief Diversity
Whaddya fuck. Did Intel somehow forget what semiconductor business is?

> tfw the jews accidentally sipped some of their own kool-aid

They're trying real hard to be Apple, at the last earnings report they nicely said that they'd rather take a marketshare hit than lower margins.

"If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

Like pottery

Oh fucking hell what the fuck are you doing Intel. Current AMD has fuckcompetent management and they are going full Apple despite their competition assaulting them on every fucking possible market? Holy shit I need a special kind of oven for Krzanich.

Intel hired bean counters as upper management. AMD hired an actual electrical engineer as their CEO.

MBAs should seriously consider suicide.

So Intel meltdown by 2020?

>be the biggest tech company on the planet requiring immense talent to bring out products in almost any IT related field
>hire blacks, women, black women and mexicans to do it

Is this real life?

They also hired some retarded bean counters for management. This is prime fuckup.

> ask them if they've got enough single black mothers working in their Israeli facilities

>AMD hired an actual electrical engineer as their CEO.
AMD hired one of the biggest names in semi conductors to be their CEO. So not just any old EE.

>Intel has set a goal to kill itself by 2020

Should have stayed as IBM's dog, Intel.

Honestly when companies get that much money do they have nothing better to do than spend it on diversity quotas and huge buildings?
Really gets you thinking.

They also got back big names like Raja or Papermaster aka their old guard. And they did all this while Intel was sucking some fuckhuge amounts of cock.

>want to increase diversity
>spend billions to do it
>suddenly cpu market becomes super diverse with multiple competitive platfroms from your arch nemesis

Well, did they do it? Did they get what they wanted?

Good, maybe some of the good talent leftover like Babak Sabi can move to AMD.

Audible kek.

Jikes, I can imagine the mortification when they start lettings others use their own fabs.

Micron already does that.

Micron still uses 20nm+ fabs, I'm talking bleeding edge.

Intel's too stubborn to let anyone touch their bleeding-edge (well for now, trio of GloFo/IBM/Samsung are already laughing their asses) process.

Once those fabs hit barely 40% utilization Intel won't have much choice.

They don't have a new architecture till 2022 so probably
Cannon/Coffeelake 18 (10nm), Icelake 19, Tigerlake 20, Tiger+1 21 (7nm), new arch

Krzanich blocked the start of the creation of a new architecture until 2015, which means whatever AMD makes to replace Zen will be out in a comparable timeframe as well.

It's like a weird sort of rich guilt and PR fuckery.

No one actually fabricates on Intels process, their whole attempt to sell wafers flatlined hilariously. No libraries. IDF wasn't going to be pretty, that's why they straightup cancelled it.

Technically they have very high utilization rates, thats because Intel doesn't count equipment that isn't installed fully as part of capacity. If a machine is missing a single bolt it doesn't add to total capacity.

IBM sold their process tech over to GloFlo, you mean Samsung, TSMC, and GloFlo.

>Le more things mean better
Never change AMD

>AMD
>Caught up
No more like just got closer to the first place slot
Still behind and Intel still literally couldn't care less

>less DIMMS and memory bandwidth is great for HPC
Heard it here first.

k

nipples won't do anything

less ram slots is a small price to pay for superior performance

GloFo tunes their 7nm to meet IBM's demands first and foremost.

This shows nothing?

This shows housefires.

>More efficient
>More cores
>More threads
>More DIMMs
>More PCIE
>More Memory

>"LEL, NAPLES SUCKS GUYS, DON'T WORRY, XEON STILL GUD! YOU JUST NEED TWICE AS MANY, OH, AND BE SURE TO GET OUR NEW 4.2GHZ $8500 MODEL TO BE SURE!"

No it doesn't

Do you genuinely believe AMD is actually even going to take as much as a wobbly foothold in the enterprise market?

Oh yes it does. 28/56 at 2.5ghz with 205w rated TDP? A true housefire. A sight to behold.

user, I...

Yes. More everything (and much more fucking memory per rack) is enough of a reason for Naples to sell like hotcakes. Remember first Opterons? The ones that killed itanic. That's part two.

Do you genuinely believe that it won't happen?

Zen was built from the ground up to recapture the server market. That was it's design purpose from the earliest eekings of Zen from AMD.

Do you genuinely believe that any company, given choice, would chose to have;

>Less efficiency
>Less cores
>Less threads
>Less memory
>Fewer DIMMS
>Fewer PCIe

Over a product that has
>Greater Efficiency
>More cores
>TDP that matches that of fewer core competing product
>More memory
>More threads
>More PCIe lanes

Do you genuinely believe that to happen?

Now, I half expect the only answer you to be able to conjure would be;
>Intel offers better support! THINGS JUST WERK!

And I bet you think HP are bad at servers because of their consumer lines being such shit.

Spoiler alert
Not gonna happen

Yep I know

The picture is Intel's server Skylake-X lineup.
Intel has an advantage in solely one area, they hit higher clocks on consumer chips and thus do better in single threaded tasks. The problem is server chips are so thermally limited that being able to hit higher clocks doesn't matter. Their entire high end server lineup is well within the clock range Ryzen hits. Add on Ryzen being no shit 20% more efficient for the same performance and Intel is dead in the water in the server space. AMD is going to be able to field a 32 core at around 2.8ghz within that same 205 watt TDP, with 8 channel memory, and a hilarious amount of PCI-E lanes.

Yes it didn't happen and everyone's still using Itanium. WAIT A SEC-

>Do you genuinely believe AMD is actually even going to take as much as a wobbly foothold in the enterprise market?
They have a deal w/ Google, don't they?

Ryzen R7 chips have already been shown shitting all over several Xeon chips.

Though you could have a point about stablity/validation/first gen/etc

They are also part of Microsoft's Project Olympus.

It really isn't going to happen though, you'll see

I still kek at how HP keeps punching Intel into fulfilling their original Itanium agreement. It has to be in spite at this point.

How big of a fanboy are you?

Yes, the same way everyone used Itanuims back then. OH WAIT-

Fanboying over what, strictly better hardware? Wow.

>n-no
>it c-can't be t-true

>strictly better hardware
>no performance metrics out yet
Remember when bulldozer was strictly better

It's strictly better due the sheer amount of memory channels and PCI-E lanes. Faildozer offered no such things.

this
Too bad the majority of archives from then were trashed
The "Intel is finished cheap 8 cores on the market" posts were funny

AMD got a major public deal with Microsoft.

Google and Amazon got last minute 6 month exclusivity deals for Skylake-E, which pissed off a ton of other providers. Last minute to the point of a single week a warning before the scheduled release. I'd bet Facebook, Baidu, Tencent, and Alibaba are going to follow MS. Same with smaller providers like Dell.

Intel's 8 core can barely keep up while using 30% power, how will a Intel 24/28 core keep up with a 32 core?

That's consumer market. Data centres do not care about price. They need perf/watt, more memory and more I/O.

It's trashing your Intel core at the same core count while using less power, what the fuck do you think will happen when it to scales to 32 cores without the massive latency penalty intel's 3 ring busses will have on Intel's top 28 core?

This isn't even counting the DIMM amount, lower platform power, memory bandwidth, PCIe lanes and lower price.

>AMD can make decent desktop cores
>so multiplying these cores by 7 will definitely work 100% as planned and we can predict this via desktop chips
Incredible

6900k is lower clocked than the 1800X

t. I don't understand how the enterprise market works

And it's slower while using more power, what are you gonna do with your 205W 28 core Xeons? Overclock them? Get real.

This conversation is done.

While sucking more power.
Yes. Zen IS a server core.

>Zen
>Server core
Fucking lol

Intel will bring us into the glorious age of water cooled overclocked server chips.

Glorious meaning terrible in this situation.

>MY MICROSECONDS

It is.

You're talking about scaling? SCALING ? And you think Intel doesn't have its own shitshow when going over 10 cores?

You're more clueless than I thought, you can continue arguing with the others in this thread, I have no more business with you.

>brand new 8 core chip at 4ghz beats cribs from 2012 that use more power
Incredible wow really activated my almonds

Hehehe yes goy.. buy our vastly inferior in every single metric processor, all you need is single core cockspeed