Home server general is a general thread to discuss building...

Home server general is a general thread to discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and daemons on it.
Discord: discord.gg/9vZzCYz

>hostan. installan. rebootan. crying about uptime.

Relevant news:
* OpenBSD working on raspberry pi now!
* REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR FILES!

>wireless repeater not attached to anything by cable

faggot

so what about that there corral

Is there any software that permits me to put all my music on a server and stream it to an Android phone or another computer ?

Subsonic used to be quite good, haven't used it for a while though

You can have a wireless bridge that will connect to an existing wifi network and extend it.

If by 'extend it', you mean, 'You're doing it wrong', then yes.

>MFW I realize those are all physical machines

Yea, you can install a dlna type of service, a shoutcast type of service or just enable one of various network filesystems. And there are more ways like using mpd or vlcs other protocols.

Most will probably do dlna or network filesystems.

I agree with this guy.

Dead in the water.

On another note, I just set up a Linksys 1200ac router with LEDE and attached a Rpi3 which is going to host my Minio server for little projects too keep safe. Next I want to get a Pfsense / OPNsense box set up.

My KVM host machine (store bought amd) keeps locking up every couple of days and taking my DNS server down with it, thinking of switching that off to a rpi until I can build a better host server.

if you are using linux install nmon and have it run for 2 days taking snapshots of what is happening every 10 or 15min. if i had to guess based off what you said you either do not have enough ram or some process is hogging the resources and you will have to nice it or renice it

also the very last thing i could think of is i/o not being fast enought and in that case either use ramdisk or ssd

I'll look into that, thank you

>commodity router
Whyever would you do that when you can set up a Linux or BSD box to route instead?

It's got 4 drives in raidz1.

Hey, i posted here a while ago about building a server for rendering. Are autocad/maya/Adobe CS rendering workloads compatible with linux or would it be wise to factor a windows server license into my budget?
(yes, this was posted in the other one also)

jesus not only is that picture fucking embarrassing to look at, the fact that someone would think the content is impressive is even worse.

what is op using to generate that diagram

It's like a direct view into a basement dweller's psyche.
It's freaking me the fuck out just how little shame the person who made this probably had.

i dont think it's generated

>2hus
>e-readers
>gaymer consoles
Uh, OK...

Also,
>tfw every new home comes with a well-air-conditioned server room
It's the wave of the FUTURE!
Better learn to manage that shit ahead of time.

home sever general
bash the OP edition

the future is stream it from your ISP or colo and pay for the bandwidth

>streaming
Ugh, no thanks. I'd rather avoid that timeline if at all possible.

Want to make my first home server out of an old laptop. I want to stream large video files (~10GB each) to 20-30 computers but I'm not sure my specs would be able to do it at a reasonable speed.
I plan to use a USB 3.0 drive rack for storage and Plex for sharing.
Is this a good plan or should I consider something else?

>home server general

i have one, it's called containers you fucking plebs

holy shit do you autistic fucks really run like more than one to two machines?

no

Never setup a server. Anything I should know?

It could work, you will not be able to do encoding with plex thats for sure. Give it a go anyway, if that does not work just setup a read only smaba share and use vlc or whatever.

Networking, how the service works and how to configure it.
You also need to stay up to date with the requirements beyond "just works" for most things.
You need to know how to repair the system when it fails after an update and you need to update all the time.

firewalls and ports forwarding is pretty important

>not having 4U jet engines in your house
>not having 5-6 desktops
How is the macbook friend?

first for raspis make the cutest servers

>single point of failure

herp derp

What's the point of this?

mpd has this service built in. Add these lines to your config file.

Then use a client like MPDroid. It's nice because MPDroid can be used to stream directly to your phone or as just a remote control while listening on another machine.

audio_output {
type "httpd"
name "Name"
encoder "vorbis" # optional, vorbis or lame
port "8000"
# quality "5.0" # do not define if bitrate is defined
bitrate "192" # do not define if quality is defined
format "44100:16:1"
}

How safe is this?

Can you not read?
It's spelled out as easily as possible while still functioning as code.

>containers
>not VMs
>being on Sup Forums with only one box in the garage/basement/cave

why the fuck are you even here?

define "this"

define "safe"

Is there a Debian package that will allow me to use my server as a web-browser-based proxy?

I can't tunnel through the usual ways like SSH or OpenVPN because all web traffic must go through an HTTPS proxy acting as our gateway.

My employer certainly is clever I guess. No programs aside from the standard Microsoft Suite appear to be able to navigate to the outside web.

If they're willing to explicitly MitM you like that, and block traffic that they can't read, then you're boned.

Your only option here is to turn off wifi on your phone and do shit through mobile data, so that you're going through a network your employer doesn't control.

gayest shit i have ever seen