Ubuntu telemetry

We have new version of ubuntu today. But thread is not about. Basic system has a lot of telemetry and pre-installed software with remote control and access risks. This script can to clean up some problems.

github.com/butteff/Ubuntu-Telemetry-Free-Privacy-Secure

Pull requests are welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client–server_model
youtube.com/watch?v=DLxqdf89hRo
snap-telemetry.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo sudo

kindly kick yourself in the face. Do a 3 line check if the script is ran as root (directly or with sudo) or not and then just run the commands.

it is not a good way too, because, when script works from root too long - in this time something can be executed with the same privilegies (root).

I am not sure, that some users will use sudo instead of "su to root", my way is 100% gives sudo way here.

Anyway, you can edit the script

what telemetry and remote control software?
what a load of bullshit

How do you think canonical gets bigger and more shekels from investors?

bigger?

after they just dropped Unity, laid off workers, and had a few walk off the job?

I don't think so.

What a cunt

Thanks. Is useful

Is this shit really going the Windows 10 way? Where you're going to need ten thousand scripts and tweaks just to remove "telemetry and privacy concerns"?. Give me a fucking break. Fuck Ubuntu.

>it is not a good way too, because, when script works from root too long - in this time something can be executed with the same privilegies (root).
What a load of baloney. Please post a working example of a situation where this happens.

>zeigtgeist is telemetry
wew lad

you can't just label everything a "potential problem," explain nothing, then think anyone will run a script that purges a bunch of shit from your system.

>sudo apt-get purge -y openvpn #bad software can use it for proxy servers connections [potential problem]

wtf

Did anyone honestly like unity? They've made 1 bad decision after another. Unity seemed like a half assed attempt at win8 style tablet&desktop fusion clusterfuck.

Unity was a good attempt at a desktop not intended for neckbeards who only ever use their computer for programming. It looked acceptable and had a lot of nice features. What was really annoying though was them forking every fucking little thing gnome made with modifications instead of just making it work with gnome stuff.
Oh, and Mir. That was a stupid idea too.
Personally I also prefer flatpak over snap, but some might disagree.

># System Up to Date:
>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get -y upgrade
Ok this is fine.

># Amazon & web apps Removing
>sudo apt-get -y purge unity-lens-shopping
>sudo apt-get -y purge unity-webapps-common
They're not activated by default but this is fine too.

>sudo apt-get -y purge apturl #tool, which gives possibilities to start installation by clicking on url, can be executed with js, which is not secure
Not a big deal but i consider it's fine to remove it, it may be useful for the average joe tho.

># Guest session & remote login disable for LightDm:
>sudo sh -c 'printf "[SeatDefaults]\nallow-guest=false\ngreeter-show-remote-login=false\n" > /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-no-guest.conf'
>sudo apt-get -y purge remote-login-service
>sudo apt-get -y purge lightdm-remote-session-freerdp
>sudo apt-get -y purge lightdm-remote-session-uccsconfigure
I don't see a big need to remove the guest session and remote capabilities of lightdm but i guest most people don't use them anyway.

># Basic Telemetry Removing:
>sudo apt-get -y purge zeitgeist
>sudo apt-get -y purge zeitgeist-datahub
>sudo apt-get -y purge zeitgeist-core
>sudo apt-get -y purge zeitgeist-extension-fts
I consider this part is wrong. Yes, zeitgeist is an activity logger but unlike cortana it is not supposed to send any of your info out of your computer. It's pretty useful in fact because it's used as source for desktop search programs like synapse. Zeitgeist is just an implementation of an ontology that anyone can implement.
So unless you manage to prove showing the code where it sends your info upstream or that canonical patched it to do that i think is not fair to say this package is telemetry.

OP your script is many retarded and it feels like it was written by a nine year old. Remember lurk more.

># DNS encryption:
>sudo apt-get -y install dnscrypt-proxy #tool, which helps to protect dns leak
This is fine.

>sudo apt-get -y install ufw # ubuntu firewall, based on IpTables (NetFilter)
ufw comes installed by default so this line is not necessary. Install gufw instead and that may be useful.

>sudo ufw default deny incoming #blocks any income traffic
>sudo ufw default deny outgoing #blocks any outgoing traffic
>sudo ufw allow out 80 #Allow web http connections
>sudo ufw allow out 443 #Allow web https connections
Denying inoutgoing traffic and opening just those ports is a bit extreme for the home user. The default behavior of ufw is denying incoming traffic iirc so the first line should be unnecesary.

>sudo ufw enable #Enable UFW
This is fine.

># ClamAV Antivirus Installation:
>sudo apt-get -y install clamav
>sudo apt-get -y install clamav-daemon
This is fine.

># Fail2Ban installation (protects from brute force login):
>sudo apt-get install fail2ban
This is fine.

lold

Fucking Red Shats shill, I will use Winshit before using Gnome shell.

>sudo apt-get purge -y unity8* #just remove it, because of potential telemetry from unity8, which is in beta state and exists only for preview, for now you can use 7 version [potential problem]
>sudo apt-get purge -y libmirserver41 #desktop server from unity8 [potential problem]
This doesn't come installed by default on 16.04, i don't know about 17.04 but this lines should not be necessary at all, in fact can be problematic for someone wanting to use unity 8.

>sudo apt-get purge -y gdbserver #remote tool for gnome debug
If removing this doesn't break anything it should be fine.

>sudo apt-get purge -y gvfs-fuse #virtual file system [potential problem]
>sudo apt-get purge -y evolution-data-server # I just don't like "server" word here. Potentional connection possibility? [potential problem]
>sudo apt-get purge -y evolution-data-server-utouch # ---//---- [potential problem]
>sudo apt-get purge -y evolution-data-server-online-accounts # ---//---- [potential problem]
Are you just removing anything that contains the word server? you don't know what is a server-client architecture?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client–server_model
Evolution data server is used by various online account functionality but they shouldn't be active if you don't login into those services. Still be mindful and give a proper reasoning for this.

>sudo apt-get purge -y libfolks-eds25* # libfolks is a library that aggregates people from multiple sources (eg, Telepathy connection managers for IM contacts, Evolution Data Server for local contacts, libsocialweb for web service contacts, etc.) to create metacontacts. [potential problem]
A library or program being used for online services dosen't necessarily mean is screwing with you but if the user doesn't use any of those or gnome contacts i guess there's no problem on removing it as long it doesn't break unity.

Oh fuck. Canonical at it again. Those guys should rename themselves as winux and kill themselves.
And I thought Ubuntu would ne recommandable now that Unity amazon shit and mir is dead..

>sudo apt-get purge -y snapd #telemetric package manager from canonical
Are you confusing this snap:
youtube.com/watch?v=DLxqdf89hRo
With this snap:
snap-telemetry.io/
?

>sudo apt-get purge -y libhttp-daemon-perl #http server for perl
Seems to be just a library (it's called by other programs but it does nothing by itself) but as long it doesn't breaks anything i don't see a problem on removing it.

>sudo apt-get purge -y vino #vnc server (remote desktop share tool)
As long the person doesn't use it i think is fine but i don't see a lot of probability for it to be exploited tho.

>sudo apt-get purge -y unity-scope-video-all #[potential problem]
>sudo apt-get purge -y unity-scope-video-remote #[potential problem]
I agree with this, is very unnecessary.

>sudo apt-get purge -y xserver-xorg-video-vmware # Can be used for virtualization [potential problem]
>sudo apt-get purge -y openvpn #bad software can use it for proxy servers connections [potential problem]
If not used i guess there's no problem on removing them.

>sudo apt-get -y autoremove #autoremove all other unused packages after uninstallation
k

That's my thoughts.The sad part is that you labeled a lot of things as potentially bad for privacy while having nothing to do with it while at the same time you failed to remove some packages that actually send info to canonical even if they ask you first, the packages i'm talking about are apport and whoopsie.

They're focusing on cloud and server. There's no money in the desktop anymore, all tech companies are aware of this. Unity only existed because they wanted to get into mobile, and was only really cancelled because of the lack of interest/adoption/acceptance in Ubuntu mobile. I think it's a bit of a shame. I have mixed feelings about Canonical but another serious competitor in the smartphone industry would be good, especially if there is even a little emphasis on free software.

There is no MS like telemetry built into Ubuntu. You're talking about a literal order of magnitude in difference in the info sent by your OS. With OSS it's optional or useful, with MS it's deliberate keylogging and massive DBs cross-linking all your personal info and everything you've ever done. A client server app preinstalled is no comparison to the deliberate malice MS shows every day.

># I just don't like "server" word here

lololololol this script will completely bork your installation

>using unity

i will highlight the absolutely retarded lines that are just plain dumb, or will fuck up your ubuntu install:

lines 7 and 8: sudo, sudo etc... what this guy said ()

lines 31-36: zeitgeist does track your activity, but it doesn't communicate with a network. it does this so you can have lists of recently used folder, applications, and documents. the functionality of local ubuntu scopes (like applications, music, documents etc...) are largely dependent on zeitgeist.

line 50: denying all outgoing connections in ufw is batshit overkill for anyone who does anything more on the internet than use a web browser. think about ftp and bittorrent. think about soulseek. think about streaming video and audio etc...

lines 66-84: these lines are a product of mental illness and sheer ignorance. unity8 is the version of unity that they just axed. it's unnecessary, but if you want to try out unity8, that's how one would go about it. not everything with the word "server" it connects to the internet. not everything with the word virtual in it is unsafe. libmirserver is for ubuntu's wayland equivalent (a new alternative display server meant to replace x11, which OP undoubtedly made use of while typing this, as it displays every graphical fucking application on your machine, including your desktop). gvfs-fuse is a backend that allows you to mount a variety of different file systems. it is necessary, and it is not sending your information anywhere behind your back. there's no need to go any further. OP is retarded, and nothing between like 66 and 84 should be removed.

tldr: don't use this script. it will fuck your shit up bad, especially if you know even less than OP. not only will this script fuck up plain ubuntu, but it would fuck up most gnome and gtk-based desktop environments on ubuntu and debian derivatives. OP, go read a book.

>Is this shit really going the Windows 10 way? Where you're going to need ten thousand scripts and tweaks just to remove "telemetry and privacy concerns"?. Give me a fucking break. Fuck Ubuntu.

nope, not at all. the kid who cobbled together this script is just retarded and doesn't know english good.

>telemetry

Why do you idiots adapt every new buzzword , in this case even proprietary, to describe things which can be described using normal words or phrases which existed before? What's even more disgusting about "telemetry" is that it tries to be so benign and beneficial, that it's an insult to anyone's intelligence who knows otherwise.

>removing gvfs and fuse

haha hah ah ahghaghahga hahg haghahgghahgahghaghghag

How do people like this not feel any shame posting idiocy online? It's just like that guy who "created" that new Unity/Plasma 2 desktop.