Got one of these xps 15s from a liquidation sales for $1000

Got one of these xps 15s from a liquidation sales for $1000

apparently it's the new one (gtx 1050?) with an i5-7300HQ and the 4K screen

Should I keep it or sell it? Is it any good? Did I get ripped?

Need a laptop?

Keep it

Don't need a laptop?

Sell it

I have a 2015 13" rMBP...SSD is kinda weak at 128gb but i was thinking about getting a desktop for gaems

this
you probably wont make much from selling it though
just sell your other computer and start using it as your main device

Like Windows?

Sell the MacBook

Like MacOS?

Sell the XPS

bumo

I have one but with FHD, i7
If it has no apparent flaws, keep it. It's a damned good laptop once you get one without issues.

Seems the QC is hit or miss for some.

reminder

the problem is i bought it used, i cant tell if there are any issues yet. What to look for?

Never had any of these but I've read some reports of Issues with trackpad, overheating, coil whine, screen flickering, lag.

If you can't really tell something is wrong with it, I guess there isn't anything bad going on. Most people find about their issues right away.

Do you have warranty on that? Mine had two years of next day onsite repair.

I got a 13, 9350, and had strange issues with freezes and crashes for about a week. Then they went away for about a month, then came back for another. They've been gone for over 2 months now, so I think I'm in the clear, but I was ready to return it at one point since it wasn't stable enough to use as an everyday machine. Since then, though, not one crash, while before it was daily at minimum

>implying I have friends to use the webcam with

coil whine is an issue I guess. I have last year's model and I've had no issues. love it to death.

Jesus thats a lot, It's dead right now I'm gonna charge it up. What are the chances this random unit has problems do you think?

I don't know if theres warranty, its from 2017 so I imagine there is some manufacturer warranty but ive no idea if its transferrable or what

It sounds like a lot ( here) but when it works, which is all of the time now, it's completely fine imo. I would still definitely recommend it.

Its ur hdd, companies havr been skimping out on hdds n buying china made ones that cause overheating or wht u said one week its not working thn works for months thn out of nowhere crashes n finally dies, happened to my laptop just get an ssd now way better

Just fucking start the computer and see if it works. If theres a problem call dell and see if your warranty is active, this stuff isnt too hard

Do you think it was related to the Intel HD drivers? Read that those were fucked up until verson 4574.

I'd guess that customers expect a lot of a laptop at the price and they are more vocal about any issue. Mine came good and lot of others are good.
It just seems Dell isn't at the top of the game in terms of QC consistency. People are expecting Apple levels of thresholds at the price.

Check the service tag at support.dell.com, it should show if there's any warranty, very likely that there are several months left if it's the latest model.

Service tag should be below the XPS cover at the bottom;

Maybe a Toshiba SSD? Read that there were some generalized issues with those until a firmware update.

The LiteOn and Samsungs are fine I think.

Did you hit your head or something

Why are you typing like that

checked it out, seems to be all good

Alright OP here now for the real question:

i only have 8GB stock (2x 4GB), I'm going to be using this as my engineering workstation for the next few years. Is it worth upgrading to 32gb or should I just do 16gb? (32gb ~$300, 16gb is like 200 or so)

I don't think so, it was refurbished but came without a drive. Got an Evo off Amazon for it.
And it happened when I booted Ubuntu off a flash drive.

That's what I heard too, but I tried pretty much every driver I could find. No idea what "fixed" it in the end.

I've actually had mine replaced for what I'm 70% sure was an issue I caused. Customer service was about on par for tech support (only took 30 or so minutes to convince them it was a hardware issue). I didn't have to pay anything to get it reparied, but to be fair I did buy it with extra warranty.

I have nothing but love for the laptop and I'm very happy that I bought it.

Im a phone poster

Are you going to really need 32gb?

It's of course the most future proof yo could go, but even with 2 Visual Studio 2017 instances, 1 VS 2015 and 1 IntelliJ I still manage to do just fine with 16GB.

i dont know what you need to be doing to make 32gb over 16gb worth it, but im running lots of matlab + finite element analysis shit concurrently, no VMs.

I guess Matlab might be more CPU bound that anything else.

The Polyspace recommendation is 4GB per core anyways and that's the highest requirement I found.

>Dell
>liquidation sale
>$1k
Is that supposed to be some kind of a joke?

no it was some tech office going out of business selling all their shit below my apartment

the 4k screen is pretty useless at that size, with windows scaling and that graphics card. yes it was cheaper than new, but the base model with a 1080p screen is cheaper new. you kinda got ripped.

the 4k display is gorgeous though. I don't have an office workstation with multiple monitors so 15" + 4K gives me a lot of screen real estate to work with on the go.

Install gentoo