Tabs are superior
Always have been
Always will be
Spacefags gtfo

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>bikeshedding by people who can only write hello world: the thread

The point of tabs is that everyone can set their indent to be as many spaces as they want.

>projecting: the post

bullshit

They also waste less bytes, are easier to edit and deal with, takes one keystroke to generate them.

And before someone says that spaces can be rebinded to tabs, fine, then why not just use tabs. Morons.

tl;dr Spaces are stupid.

2-space indentation is the reason why no programmer takes GNU seriously.

Soft tabs are where it's at.

Takes one keystroke to add or delete a soft tab as well.

4-space tabs are master race. Everything else is Pajeet poo-loo tier.

Tabs are for the young.
Someday you will see the light.

1 tab = 3 spaces

Tabulation is fucking MADE for indenting. That's the whole purpose of tabs.

Space is prehistoric and useless.

>use python
>cant mix tabs and spaces

>his editor and/or linter doesn't convert tabs to whitespace automatically

Nice argument.

>works on my machine
Fuck off

>And before someone says that spaces can be rebinded to tabs, fine, then why not just use tabs.

It doesn't matter since any text editor can seamlessly treat one as the other and you can even enforce your favorite style at the source control level with git.
The tab vs space debate is deprecated.

>It doesn't matter
You're wasting bytes for no reason when using spaces. Why would you do that?

You're wasting more bytes by encoding your text in UTF-8 instead of good old ASCII.

Wait no I'm retarded.
Anyway, it doesn't matter when storage is now pretty much free.

I use Fibonacci indentation.

It matters when things scale
It always matters when things scale

>using a language that doesn't have a format tool builtin, making syntax wars irrelevant

how to spot someone who uses a fisher price text editor: the post

Available storage scales much faster.

Who indents HTML?
Why?

If it helps you just do a =} and after you are done do a {

>ASCII was incorporated into the Unicode (1991) character set as the first 128 symbols, so the 7-bit ASCII characters have the same numeric codes in both sets. This allows UTF-8 to be backward compatible with 7-bit ASCII, as a UTF-8 file containing only ASCII characters is identical to an ASCII file containing the same sequence of characters.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

>Who indents HTML?
Someone who develops with HTML

>Why?
Because that's how structure is layed out

>If it helps you just do a =} and after you are done do a {But then who writes HTML from scratch nowadays?
Everyone worth their salt

i agree, but browsers defaulting to 8 spaces = a tab makes browsing code on github complete cancer.

.editorconfig helps, but no one does it.

formatting is a real thing when you're writing more than just a tiny toy program and a tab will always fuck it up even if you do tab + spaces.

Anyone with a half decent editor will have literally no issue with dealing with spaces as tabs either and it's entirely transparent, and if your autism is hurting you that must just run the persons code through a formater.

>wasting bytes

it's literally such a small amount it doesn't matter unless you're really too poor to upgrade from a 32mb harddrive.

Ascii settled this question once and forall:
' ' > '\t'

tabs:
>tap
spaces:
>TAPTAPTAPTAP

I rest my case.

t. someone who programs in NotePad with font set to Times New Roman

he means 7 bit ascii, but he's a dumbass because nobody actually uses it

Tabs really are great. Unfortunately when you're writing in Hoon, the compiler treats hard tab characters as illegal instead of 'gap', which really sucks

4 spaces

>Always 4 spaces

1 tab

>Sometimes 4 spaces, sometimes 2, sometimes more

Thread over

So tabs are better because the person reading the code can set the tab size to whatever width he wants. Got it.

This. If you're not injecting elements into your HTML with JavaScript, how do you ever expect to be taken seriously in the cut-throat world of web dev memes?

>not programming with comic sans ms

>The point of tabs is that everyone can set their indent to be as many spaces as they want.
That's nice, but that can be done regardless of whether tabs or spaces are used. Literally every worthwhile text editor and IDE supports both equally well.

>They also waste less bytes
Could not care less. Disk space is dirt cheap and the amount saved is trivial.

>Takes one keystroke to generate them
This is true regardless of whether you are using tabs or spaces. Literally every worthwhile text editor and IDE supports both equally well.

Stop coding in notepad.exe you retard

At the end of the day, both options work fine. However, there is one point where spaces have an advantage, which is end of line comments. If you like to use end of line comments and like them to be alligned with each other, spaces are the only reasonable option. The reason for this is that if someone uses end of line comment with tab characters, the allignment will be fucked up on your text editor unless you set it to use the exact same amount of whitespace per tab character. With spaces, this is not the case. With spaces, the end of line comments will stay alligned with each other regardless of the text editor used.

this. fucking neophobes.

Needs less make up and to remove the wig, but the cat dress can stay.

do people really argue about this?
its like cleaning your butt standing up
its a fact standing up makes it more difficult to clean so its better to do it while sit

>reaching your hand into the toilet to wipe your butt
>having to pull out shit covered toilet paper from under your balls to check whether you need to wipe again

tab indents, space aligns > spaces >>>>>> tabs

>He doesn't use single spaces for indentation

Stop wasting screen space.

How does that look like?

Use sublime text, install the pep8 linting plugin, press ctrl-shift-r, reformats your code, fixed indentation, converts stray tabs or stray spaces accordingly.

I could be wrong about which plugin does this for me, but it's one of the sublime-linter Python plugins

I don't want anyone who uses tabs reading my code.

What kind of shitty editor are you using that doesn't support soft tabs?

If I'm writing something and indent it 4 spaces, it's because I want 4 spaces of indentation. Fuck your custom tab widths.

>If I'm writing something and indent it 4 spaces, it's because I want 4 spaces of indentation. Fuck your custom tab widths.
This is a moot point because every major coding text editor and IDE let you customize soft tab width as well.

whatever the project is using
just let your editor take care of formatting for you and concentrate on real issues
the dilettantes on this board...

This.

Wow. Sup Forums is really filled with useless pigs.

WHO CARES ABOUT TABS VS SPACES ANYWAY?

1 tab = 23.976 spaces

>when u realize the patrician formatting tool is color