Devs of Sup Forums, anyone coding in portrait orientation? Thoughts, pros and cons? Been debating on switching

Devs of Sup Forums, anyone coding in portrait orientation? Thoughts, pros and cons? Been debating on switching.

My dad does, and I'm in the process of finding a nice monitor to switch. It's amazing.

OP here, I think I'll make the switch soon as I can find a decent monitor as well. One I have now doesn't have VESA mounts :\ That one's on me I suppose.

No because i want tabs and dirtree in editor and space for 2 horizontal windows.

That's a good point, sometimes I do like to have side-by-side windows (React component and a stylesheet, for example). Would be a trade-off for the vertical space. Would have that extra vertical space for opening stacked file views I suppose but not sure that'd be as comfy as side-by-side.

If you've got an extra monitor that can go portrait it's nice to have. But in general 1 high resolution landscape monitor beats any multi-monitor shenanigans.

what kind of programmer high chair is this?

and there's no desk space so how are you going to keep physical notes or keep all your old bowls of cereal in front of you?

I program in portrait because I have emacs and know how to use Windows therein regardless the aspect of my VDU.

Someone who's Koding should kts; some Karly who unironically buys a portrait VDU in order to Kode ... well, I can't even

no because i'm a manlet '-'

Programming on a portrait screen encourages overly long functions so is frowned up by the digerati

multi-monitor is nice when you're working on desktop shit or games that can eat an entire monitor, gives you somewhere else to show your profiler or console while testing shit

ultrawide+tiling looks nice for the typical code+docs or having a couple files open side by side for editing scenarios though

gtfo

>3 VESA mounts come out from behind headrest
>small table sweeps out the way

I'll make millions with this.

Nice chair. What I can immediately think of for portrait orientation is this:
Pros: can fit many line on screen readably
Cons: long lines, or anything indented, will either require a sidescroll bar or wrap, which looks gross for code.
All told, probably just best to get a decent landscape monitor and a mouse with a scroll wheel. That way your lines fit neatly, while it's still relatively easy to move from line to line. Portrait monitor isn't worth the hastle if you're mainly programming on it, imho.

Real programmers use a single portrait monitor in a non-graphical environment, just visit in a tty

>buys a portrait VDU
What did he mean by this?

Yep, the side-by side editing is a sticking point at the moment but I don't think it'll be a huge problem. Being able to see more lines on the screen readably (being able to see more context) seems like a pretty massive upside.

Have to disagree with this...if a function needs to be long due to complexity of performing a specific task, then so be it. IMO nothing to be gained by artificially fracturing the algorithm into separate blocks purely on the basis of 'muh function length'.

autism

>Being able to see more lines on the screen readably (being able to see more context) seems like a pretty massive upside.
On the other hand, you might find it annoying as fuck if it exceeds your natural field of vision (or the even narrower range that's comfy to focus on when reading) and you end up scrolling anyway rather than tilt your head up/down to read everything on screen

But I've been using 27" monitors forever, portrait mode would be just under 2ft high if I tried it. Might be a more sensible option if you've got 20-24" screens to work with though.

Not me. I am too likely to skip lines or see something else that needs to be done. Focus. . .focus. . .

Best layout for me (web dev) is pic related. A good IPS monitor is a must though for vertical monitors.

I don't particularly like it, a lot of tools/IDEs have other useful panels on the sides of the editor, which makes them pretty terrible on portrait screens. It's much better to have a 2560x1440/UHD monitor if you want plenty of space with a portrait monitor on the side for documentation, they are absolutely excellent for that use case.

Not particularly useful IMO, having a large widescreen display with multiple vertical windows is better.

>coding

I have a 40in 4k screen so yeah basically I'm coding in portrait.

Never found it too helpful desu... It's nice for documents but overall I'd rather see more files side-by-side than a million lines for one or two.

yeah i had two landscape and one portrait monitor in my old sysadmin job, it was fantastic. that said, a nice big 4k monitor works well too - just snap your editor to one side

Not a hardcore programmer, but for any sort of large writing tasks, I think it is safe to say that portrait gets better use of your space.

HOWEVER: if you work with two windows side by side, I'd rather buy one large monitor (30" plus) than get two monitors and shove them vertically. Still, depends on what you use your PC for. I play games as well, so it would be kinda shit to have a bezel in the middle of the screen.

All in all, it all depends. Work with only one window (IDE or similar)? Vertical orientation of a 1080p or 1440p monitor. Got two windows running next to each other? It all depends on the price (if two turning monitors are cheaper than a large 4k panel, go for them, if not, get one large and scale the letters as much as you can take).

Data Scientist here
I use three 24" monitors all in portrait orientation, haven't looked back

I should qualify.

My setup evolved like this
landscape>
landscape + portrait >
portrait + portrait + landscape>
portrait + portrait + portrait

I mostly do two things:
- write SQL
- Work on R and Python iPython notebooks
and sometimes write code on our in house IDE

both primary applications will typically easily cover the whole vertical height so my space is never wasted.

None of the tools I'm using require a lot of vertical space or can be customized to be portrait friendly so I'm pretty much always better off using portrait.

I can appreciate wanting more context in the code wholistically, but if you can only see the first bit of what any given line is doing, doesn't that defeat the purpose? Perhaps not, seeing as you'd be able to figure out whatever's cut off or wrapped in most cases, but I'd find it annoying constantly seeing these trailing lines for stuff like complex loops or whatnot. Then again, that probably wouldn't be so much of a problem if you use something like Notepad++ over something like Atom.

Maximum productivity is 2 portrait, 1 landscape as you pictured

It really is superior for text editing

Using one right now. Pretty ghetto setup with thrift store monitors but it works good enough. Use it for web browsing, reading, coding, thunderbird and htop

daily reminder that multiple displays are for messy people that can't be tidy.

Left:
- Terminal (top)
- IntelliJ repo 1 (middle)
- IntelliJ repo 2 (bottom)
Middle:
- Status pages (top)
- Main web browser (middle+bottom)
Right:
- Email (top)
- IM (bottom)
Laptop:
- Notes / non-work stuff

It's probably not optimal, but it works for me.

i wonder how would you work if you had only one display

A 27" screen can render over 130 characters on a line at a decent font, even with ample space for sidebars. With no sidebars it just about gets you 200 characters. So there's plenty of space for any reasonable line cutoff (80/100/120/200)

The main issues are with media ("fullscreen" in web apps uses less than half the screen), and triple side-by-side text views such as merge conflict tools.

It depends on what kind of development you're doing.

Data-centric web applications? (hi)
- 1 landscape for web page.
- 1 landscape for database browser of choice.
- 1 portrait for editor.

I use a landscape and portrait dual monitor setup at work. It's super fucking nice to handle all my code in the portrait monitor.

>Dedicating an entire monitor to email and slack
Disgusting.
Learn what workspaces are and use them.

>Cons: long lines
Not if you write your shit to be 80 column compliant, like any half-decent programmer.

Why do I need workspaces when I have enough screen real estate for all of my windows?

>being constrained to an archaic length limit

>chiclet keyboard

Not that guy, but serious answer: RSI-wise, it's better not to have to turn your head.

Because we both know you just wanted that third monitor to look cool, not for actual productivity.

80 column also lets you comfortable hold 3 documents open on a standard 1080p screen side-by-side with no information loss, which makes it invaluable to programming in large solutions.
And if you're using portrait, it means you never have to worry about code trailing off the screen.
On top of those things, it's also far far easier to read. There's a good fucking reason most books are about half as wide as they are long.

Is this all one PC?

if you have to be a snowflake, stop writing code.
C+= died.

>physical notes
That's what OneNote is for.

>keep all your old bowls of cereal in front of you?
Stop eating next to your computer.

I just added an ancient 1680x1050 my parents were throwing out in portrait mode. The extra space is huge for when I'm juggling an editor, half a dozen terminal windows and two browsers for webdev.
No idea why most webdevs (of all things) insist on coding on an 11" macbook screen.

>OneNote
>keeping all my schizo snippets on the Cloud(tm) so some microjews can look at it and analyze me
yeah, no thanks

my mom brings my food to me at the computer so i can be more efficient.

1080p doesn't quite cut it for a portrait monitor I think. Need a higher res, or 1920x1200 at least.

It's still very useful regardless.

Just make sure you go IPS if you're going portrait. Tried this with TN and it was shit.

I did before all of my monitors went to shit.
havnt found a vesa mount for a 40" tv that lets me flail it around the room every which way depending on my mood yet, so no rotating tv monitor for me.