/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 , RX480, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>470 is all you need for 1080p
>Wait for RX 580 in a few days
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/C33TRG
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3647vs3917
youtu.be/LE4gibDSMFw
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814126116
pcpartpicker.com/list/RXwR6X
steamcommunity.com/app/460790/discussions/0/135514151379130536/
pcpartpicker.com/list/YKWNjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZrT6d6
pcpartpicker.com/list/mZgksJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how do i know which ram works best with my motherboard?

Check the manufacuter's website.

Anyone have any suggestions for a cube-sized case for a mATX mobo like pic related? Thinking of getting it for my first build.

Or this one, just for reference.

Is there a way I could improve this without raising the cost, or even better- lowering it?

I asked for advice here a couple weeks ago, and while checking on my list last week I realised that the build wasn't compatible at all, so I had to change a few parts. I decided to go all out and get the i7-7700k, too. Still not sure if the build is any good, and I'd hate to order everything just to find out that the parts don't fit together or finding out that I had better options.

>Wait for RX 580 in a few days
Update the OP. They are out already and 50€ more expensive and have higher power consumption than the RX 480 without any performance advantage.

No thread up so I panicked and copied the OP from the previous. Next guy can make those changes.

Drop the K for the CPU and either get a Ryzen or an i5. Get an SSD with the money you saved and get higher frequency RAM if you can. I would suggest a modular PSU as well.

Posted already but some more feedback does not hurt I guess

>germoney
>decent "allrounder"
>some gaming (1080p)
>programming
>surfing
>budget around 800 euros, want to push it lower if possible
>should last for 7-8 years like my current prebuilt pc

pcpartpicker.com/list/C33TRG

I'm aware that amd released the rx580 today. Maybe the prices for the rx 480 will drop enough to buy that one instead.

>more expensive
Really? RX580 8GB is actually slighty cheaper than RX480 8GB. At least in my country.

>ps in the bottom
Thermally suboptimal and risky for several reasons (eg.: water in the floor, dust, etc)

okay the rx 580 and 570 are released. If I'm not interested in 1440p gaming should I even consider the 580? The 570 seems to be rather cheap at 199 euros. I'm still waiting for comparisons between the rx4xx and rx5xx series.

>Drop the K for the CPU and either get a Ryzen or an i5

I was told this before, too, but wouldn't the i7-7700k be better in the long run? I'm not planning on changing anything for a few(5+) years, so I'd like my CPU to last and be good for a while.
Also Ryzen seems to be meant more for workstation computers, and I'm not sure if that's what I'll need/ use enough to actually appreciate it.

Noted on the last points, although I'm not quite sure where I can check the RAM frequency.

Thanks for the help!

Bleh im stuck between waiting for am4 mITX board and going the z170 route. what do?

Yes thats an mATX ziptied to chassis. Yes its safe, i have white plastic film behind it so it doesnt sudoku itself.

You should be fine with a mid-tier Intel or Ryzen platform in that case, though you would be safer with getting an 8-core 1600 or 1600X since more cores will last you longer. Ryzen CPUs do fine on gaming as well and I haven't seen any large problems being reported in regards to Ryzen and gaming (besides the RAM OCing issues)

Why do people build SLI systems with motherboards which don't allow even a single slot between the cards for breathing room? The top card gets hot anyway, just having some room is essentially a significant and free cooling upgrade, without extra ventilation and noise at all.

What makes Ryzen different from the old 6 core and 8 core chips from before? Why didn't we see a rise in 8c games when the affordable chips were available?

>I'm not planning on changing anything for a few(5+) years
>goes for 4 cores

Is Freesync/Gsync worth the premium? I'm looking to upgrade to a 144hz monitor from an 11 year old 1080@60 1080p panel and don't know how worthwhile it is.

If I pick up a 1080p/1440p 144hz monitor without it, will I notice in AAA games?

What brands of liquid coolers should I look for/avoid?

I'm on a tight budget and can't afford a rx470. Is it really not worth buying something below that? Would an integrated graphics card run a game like dota 2 for example?

>That sag
How fucking heavy are those GPUs?

Depends on the price. If a RX470/570 is like 199€ and a RX480/570 like 229€ both are good options. The RX480/580 usually comes with a better cooler, too, so value is roughly the same.
Whatever you do, stay away from RX580 cards that need more than 1x8pin, they have the same power draw as a 1080 which is just stupid.
Also 8GB is mostly useless for you, don't buy unless it's a XFX RX480 GTR on sale, that card is awesome.

Damn, the AMD ryzen bundle deal is over at microcenter, might as well just buy a cheap 4790K for my Z97 mobo.

get a fractal design node 804. way better case.

Unfortunately I don't know a thing about cores or what they do/if they're all that important.

I looked up the differences here-
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3647vs3917

and so far the only thing that stood out to me was that the 8 cores are only beneficial to people who have a lot of programs open at the same time, correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

I'm seriously considering getting Ryzen (still undecided on which one), but so far the only good thing about it is the core and thread numbers and that it has a much faster multi-core speed. And it's not like the price is cheaper

Sorry if I seem stubborn on getting the i7-7700k, it's just that I've seen the reviews and they all seem positive so it's hard to find any faults with it.

Again- thanks for the feedback!

>>Vega comes in May

youtu.be/LE4gibDSMFw

waiting for vega master race

>AMD being this tight lipped about it
So it's either going to kill everything or be a complete flop that can't compete with Nvidia's top lineup?

More games will use more cores in the future. Quad core CPUs are going the way of the dino. Trust me, if you buy a Ryzen 6-core CPU you won't regret it, especially since you plan on keeping your CPU for a while.

>no microcenter within 200 miles of where you live
southern texas is suffering

Wait for Vega or get two games with my 1080?

m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814126116

pcpartpicker.com/list/RXwR6X

Doing the whole shebang as this is a first build

if i want to stick with windows 7 in a gaymen build, wouldnt a 1060 be better than a 480 since the 1060 is better with dx11?

580 bro

Go ahead and roast me as much as possible.

Some notes:
>It's for work in software development + some VM + gaming.
>For the GPU I'm gonna wait for Vega to make a choice. For now my 680 SLI will have to do it.
>I'm set on the 1600X because I want to OC it as high as possible as single-threaded performance is still important for me and I planned on getting a cooler anyway.
>Please focus criticism on the mobo and RAM. I need sugestions on that front. Also, is this PSU good enough?

4c/4t/10 for making me respond.

Not buying a ryzen until I know that I won't get random games that become unplayable for no reason other than my CPU being an AMD one

you what

For better OC get a better cooler, something from Noctua for example.
Check the QVL and forums for RAM compatibility.
No idea if 550W is enough for 680 SLI, generally 550-650W is fine for single GPU.

When will

>Vega
>Skylake-X / Kaby Lake-X
>OLED FreeSync/Gsync monitors

come out?

ty

>$250 500GB SSD
Am I missing something?

steamcommunity.com/app/460790/discussions/0/135514151379130536/

You dun goofed.
What the fuck are you talking about?
There is no reason to get an i5 right now, the R5 is better in 90% of all tasks.

I don't plan on doing extreme overclocks. If I can reach 4.0Ghz I'll be happy. Is Ryzen really that temp limited? I've heard it's voltage limited.

Forget the 680 SLI. I'll be using a 750W PSU I have here for now.

QVL show almost no 3200Mhz RAM compatibility. I really hope this situation improves.

What's wrong with the 960 EVO? What's your suggestion? M.2 specifically.

>steamcommunity.com/app/460790/discussions/0/135514151379130536/
Holy shit you are a dumbass.
It's an optimization problem, actually read the comments on the discussion next time idiot.
Also you are breaking global rule #2, enjoy your ban.

wouldnt a 1060 still be better in dx11?

Where the fuck do you keep your tower to worry about that shit

I don't know if its just me, but fractal design cases looks really cheap. I just don't like the way they look.

I like how you failed to acknowledge that is neither an AMD or Intel based issue.

Fractal Design is pretty cheap. I think cube cases are pretty retarded unless you're going super small and still want a (short) full height video card. Have you seen the Silverstone S13?

What is the best B350 mobo on the market to get right now?

Alright now that I know that I should look through the entire thing before I type on a keyboard, are developers going to optimize for these extra cores or is it just (((higher is better)))?

I'm just getting an mATX board and a I figured I should getting a case of equal size.

the one that fits your budget and needs

What's the TLDR on these AMD 500 cards?

>Thermally suboptimal
You spelled 'negligible' wrong
>water on the floor
cases with bottom PSUs are usually elevated to let air in
>dust
filters

580 is overall better than 1060 (gta 5 is the only exception by few %)

don't listen to him, cryorig h7 is fine for oc (again so is amd's stock cooler). also 4.0ghz seems to be max oc for ryzen so i wouldn't be surprised if you hit only 3.8.

pcpartpicker.com/list/YKWNjc

Any suggestions to get it under $2000?

i have no idea what the differences are between the different ones though

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZrT6d6

I tried

Reccomend me an RX 480 model that isn't the XFX GTR since its almost $300 on Newegg right now.

>4.0ghz seems to be max oc for ryzen so i wouldn't be surprised if you hit only 3.8

But the 1600X reaches 4.0Ghz on stock settings on single-threaded operations. Shouldn't be too hard to make it reach 4.0Ghz 24/7 with some additional voltage, right?
Any 1600X owners here?

Was there anything wrong with the liquid cooler?

Dear /pcbg/.

I kinda sked befor about advices about cpu cooling and how to improve it, since I felt it dont work as efficient in my case as during reviews.

I also asked for ideas about dealing with very hot GPU, RX480 from Sapphire. You guys suggested me to get additional fan installed under it.

My question is - should it rather blow air inside the case (to pump cool air from under the case directly at GPU fans) or should it rather pump hot air from inside the case to outside (to remove air that might get warmer from GPU and nearby HDDs).

Reposting picture of how case looks inside.

Thanks for replies.

Nothing's wrong with it, but isn't the 850 M.2 going for $80-90 cheaper?

110€ cheaper in my country.
But isn't the M.2 considerably faster?

>Rebellion
Against what, mediocre computer hardware and lack of software drivers?

Cooler-Master you posted is probably one of the smallest you could easily get, volume wise. Think practically, how the levels of compactness benefit you. Traditional tall & thin is most useful for most people, cube is a waste of space for components and desk, for the most part.

550w is not going to cut it if you're planning on doing that greentext shit with that computer. Up to like 650w or even 700w since you're trying to do SLI and OC.

Forget the SLI. I shouldn't have put that there.

bottom fans are usually intake since heat rises which would make it harder to blow out the bottom. maybe cleaning up cables could help too. not sure about the CPU if you already have an aftermarket cooler unless you went for the AIO meme.

Waste of money in those speakers. Class-T amp and cheap bookshelves are beyond comparison.

Which RX 580 are OK to get, now that the cards are out? Thinking the
>GIGABYTE Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 GV-RX580GAMING-8GD 8GB

Still should up the power supply anyways, 550w isn't really recommended for anything above low-range anyways because you need to be accounting for future additions and overhead. Get the 650w.

Dully noted. I was suspecting that too. Thanks for the input.

liquid cooling is a meme

Hey Guys,

I'm kind of new to the PC thing, I'm majorly a console gamer but I've decided to move over to the PC to play Overwatch because I don't like it on console.

Anyway, I want to buy a sort of high end ish PC so I can get lots of frames on overclock because I plan to overclock my monitor to 100Hz for more fluid gameplay

What do you guys think of this PC?

I've also never built a PC before and will be following youtube tutorials but any tips you guys got for me?

Rewire your shit so the excess cords go in the back, and then fuck with the GPU settings to get the temps down

pcpartpicker.com/list/mZgksJ

Need some help with this. R5 1600s are out of stock on Newegg right now, so replacing it with a 1500X for the time being. Is the graphics card ok though?

What case is that? Do you like it?

I'll be going down the list for this one:
>Case
Hah
>Cooler
Hah
Hahhhhhhh
>H110M for an i7
HAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>6950X
HOHHHHHHHHH
>1TB instead of 2TB
WOZZA
>Only 4GB and only 1x4GB at that
HOHOHOHHHHHHHH
>1500w
>HAHAHA OH WOW

Add a hundred boxes of poptarts and we can start using this as quality bait

Be more specific, is it just not worth the extra premium you pay for not enough of an upgrade, pain to install, break easily, what?

Is this a joke?

isn't the 580 kind of a housefire?

What?
No, from what I've heard this should run any games perfectly with no problems

so what are the hardware problems with the ryzen chips? i dont like buying hardware when they have just released.

>AIO meme

Whats that?

>Rewire your shit so the excess cords go in the back
>maybe cleaning up cables could help too

Tried that but I dont have space at the right side of case, behind mobo, anymore. When I tried to push them more, I couldnt close the case. The fact that SSD cable pretty much have to stay like this doesnt help.

Corsair 200R. Cant say too much since this is my first case thats not generic "office desktop" case, aka first case to have so many openings and places to mount additional fans. And most expensive I bought.

Like all of them? Should I just get a 570 instead?

Good IPC and general performance for the price

Let's say we're in an alternate reality where I have enough money for a kind of budget build, and I'm playing at 1600x900, I also want the 1500X or the 1600, will a 1050ti be enough for 60 fps ultra settings on almost all games?

please be troll

Dude 6950K is fucking $2339

So many 580s

Anyone have a recommendation on which one to get?

Holy fuck guise we have a new retard confirmed

whichever one you want, they're likely all going to clock similarly
if you really want to do your research you're basically looking for if there's any standouts on noise/thermals, alongside who you trust the most for RMAs/customer support