Do this worth it? Can I finally disconnect myself from the public electrical grid?

Do this worth it? Can I finally disconnect myself from the public electrical grid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ib1KKHGYmLQ
a.co/icASyr1
greentechmedia.com/articles/read/spanish-self-consumption-law-allows-batteries-at-a-cost
knoema.com/smsfgud/bp-world-reserves-of-fossil-fuels
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why put the battery in a wall in your bedroom?
I don't keep my diesel generator in my bathroom

Check it again...

So in an open air living room then?
Again, why?
Are the current locations of house power systems not good enough for tesla?
It is it that they want you to see the brand name every time you wake up and go to sleep?

Gotta make it as visible as possible, just in case somebody doesn't see you using a tesla (tm) house battery

>you can't paint over the cover
>getting this autistic over a box

So why not put it next to your water heater, crawl space, inside the walls, or where people normally put their backup batteries?
House batteries have existed for a long time and have a very solidified market, this isn't something aimed at people living in backwoods brownout land, it's not going to replace a backup generator and battery, it's a hip pile of vape batteries marketed as (eco friendly)

This is only for people that live in third-world countries with unstable power. Like the USA.

How do they charge?

Here in Spain 60% of the electric bill are taxes. And there are also huge limitations to the solar energy (up to 60.000.000€).

I wonder how much till cost
Ironically house batteries are one of the most commonly subsidized things, I doubt tesla will let you take a tax break

>up to 60.000.000€
I'm talking about fines, sorry.

That's where people do put them...
>bbut the marketing material designed to make the product pop, is making the product pop. please make it stop.

Anyone know what cells are in there?

NCR18650GA? Or something in-house from the gigafactory?

Do you think they deliver it fully charged with cheap California electricity and you get a new one each day?

They use 21700 cells.
youtube.com/watch?v=ib1KKHGYmLQ

are there specs available for these cells? Are these tesla automobile rejects?

>USA
>unstable power
You must never have lived here.

I lived in s.f. during the Enron rolling brownouts and I have a cabin in wi that loses power every time there's a wind gust because a tree fell on a line.

isn't the whole point of a cabin to enjoy life without electricity?

How long to charge a tesla powerwall 2 using: a.co/icASyr1

>put it outdoors
>gipsys try and steal it
>now you're going for prison for negligent homicide

In all seriousness: Most likely not.

You would have install a ton of solar panels so you'd have to invest like at least 10K IF you did the installation yourself (5K for powerwall 2 + 25 250W solar panels (~6.1kW total)).

This would also mean using significantly less electricity than you normally do because on average you will have ~24kW to play with every day if you want to maintain your emergency power supply at 100% for cloudy days. American homes can use more than 1,000 kWh of electricity a month btw.

So if you're rich, can somehow manage to only use ~24kWh max of electricity each day or ~70kWh a month, and live in a sunny place, then go ahead m8.

Power consumption of typical household things on load:
Window AC unit: 1-2kW
Electric stove: 3-4kW
Toaster: 1-2kW
Microwave: 1-2kW

Everything else is usually under 1kW

1 kWh = appliance run under load, using 1kW constantly for 1 hour

Sorry guys but for like 90% of you going off-grid is a no-go. Hopefully solar panels and giant battery banks will get cheaper in the future.

you could do solar + a windmill

>hanging 276lbs off a wall
fucking brilliant

You know you can mount a bench on two or three studs and even fatties won't break it

>having 276lbs constantly hanging off a wall
genius

Not in a murican house

>hanging 15kW of energy plumb with drywall

nah thanks, I'm good

If I did buy one of these it would be screwed into concrete way far away from my living quarters

My trailer walls are too then for 276 lbs. Fuck it. I'll lay it down in the grass and put rocks around it.

how many car battery does it equal?

certainly not $5000 worth

Why not two or three Powerwall 2?

Wait, you mean they fine you for using solar panels? I thought you had lots of sun there.

Yeah this if you use a lot of power. In either case cutting energy use is pretty easy with a kill a watt meter.

COURAGE

Adding a windmill would raise the bill significantly and I'm not even sure if you could even legally install one in your home. Power production and safety varies a ton too.

Anyway even without the turbine it would take like 10 years to pay off the powerwall 2 + solar panels and actually start saving money.

Anyway I think it's better to just wait for cheap 1kW solar panels and 100kWh emergency battery banks.

>Probably cheaper to buy the laptop batteries, and make you own

The power wall 2 really is a game changer in terms of price, warranty, and capacity. Even has a built in inverter. But yeah Musk is really disrupting so I imagine in 10 years that stuff is going to kill power plants for residential use.

They don't tax off grid power in Spain which is what we are talking about. They tax net metering.

>he doesn't salvage ryobi packs

Sure, if your time has no value, you don't do any sort of reliability testing, and you don't understand what tolerances are

Lots of expensive power electronics circuits go into these things that justify the price.

>go to pick a part
>find old prius
>remove battery pack
>pay $5 to senor frog
>test cells
>replace the 3 bad cells that caused someone to total their car
>pay $8 for the new cells
>install inverter

Congrats you have a powerpack for $30.

Bullshit. It's just lithium batteries and an inverter with a volt meter to read the charge. That's not $5000 worth of stuff.

>24kWh
>not enough for the average home

We have two refrigerators, antiquated washer and dryer, and several other things plugged into the grid. Even in the hottest days of summer where I live and the AC running for 6-7 hours a day (talking about 105+ for two months straight), we used only about 36kWh a day. This is a big house too, 6 beds, 4 baths, 3000 sqft. Wtf are you doing, except maybe running a commercial server operation?

Don't forget the Tesla logo yard art made out of beer cans.

Is that really gonna pass a home inspection? Or do you just keep quiet about it and to hell with home insurance?

>Is that really gonna pass a home inspection?

>implying the home inspector knows anything about home power storage
>implying I wouldn't just take the damn thing with me

If it's safe enough to sit under your ass at 80mph it's safe enough to hang in your garage

also a $5 BMS

You'll still have to get rid of your stove and refrigerator and live off Soylent.

Because the powerwall 2 is meant as an emergency power supply not as your main power supply source.

14kWh that the powerwall 2 has alone probably won't even last you a day.

Speaking of emergency power sources a 1 gallon gas generator can produce about 2kWh of electricity per gallon of gasoline so I'd get that to go with a single powerwall 2 instead.

>If it's safe enough to sit under your ass at 80mph it's safe enough to hang in your garage
That has tons of sensors a lot of engineering behind it to keep it from making you permanently butthurt.

>1 gallon gas generator can produce about 2kWh of electricity per gallon of gasoline
?! Then why even bother? Stupid green energy snake oil, what a fucking con job.

Small houses could make due with a max of 24kWh a day but again Shit's just too fucking expensive right now yo.

We have lots of sun, but there's some legal shit made in order to favour the electric companies that don't allow you to have solar panels nor wind mills if you are connected to the electric grid.

greentechmedia.com/articles/read/spanish-self-consumption-law-allows-batteries-at-a-cost

>Do this worth it?
ask that again rajesh.

>Implying you need an inspection for having batteries in your home.
Normalfag

>That has tons of sensors a lot of engineering behind it to keep it from making you permanently butthurt.

it really doesn't and all of the protection circuits are built into the battery pack

A lot of guys use the original leaf packs for ebikes, etc.

Look online for prius battery pack salvages or repairs. it's not rocket science.

Gotta protect your friendly neighborhood multi-billion dollar corporate interests.

I couldn't resume it better.

the safest thing is to nix it altogether, otherwise you are going to have a bunch of raul's and jose's backfeeding the transformers

that's super unsafe for a lot of reasons

>rooftop sun radiators to heat water
>solar panels for electricity
>good wall insulation, 3-layer windows
>underground heatpump for winter months
weew, this would cost an average american a whole fortune, better keep burnin good ol' gas and live in cardboard suburbia.

the cost to regulate these installations would FAR FAR outweigh the cost savings

So because the power companies don't want to add transfer switches to their infrastructure to support changing consumer demands, they run to the legislature to retain the status quo. Got it.

>?! Then why even bother? Stupid green energy snake oil, what a fucking con job.
Because we're running out of fossil fuels/stuff that's used to create gasoline.

Also solar panels can produce significantly more electricity than gasoline can.

~700kWh of essentially free electricity a month
vs
~$1,000 (assuming 1 gallon = $3) for ~700kWh produced by a gas generator a month

This isn't factoring in the heavier maintenance gas generators need or the trips to the gas pump.

>1 gallon gas generator can produce about 2kWh of electricity per gallon of gasoline

Then buy a backup Honda generator for those low solar weeks or just use less power then you mongrel. At $4500 a piece, buying two or three isn't bad at all.

>be power company tech
>customer reports power outage
>kill power to line and go fix it
>get french fried fingers thanks to pajeet battery packs and solar installations backfeeding the line

Who controls the transfer switches? Do you put your life in the customer's or power bank's hands? If not, how do you propose that they operate?

>At $4500 a piece, buying two or three isn't bad at all.
Two or three Powerwalls is what i mean here.

>2017
>sticking your fingers in an electrical outlet

I did it once, btw. I do still remember it.
[spoiler]I think then is when I started browsing Sup Forums.[/spoiler]

>home insurance
Why would you need it if you live there? That's a scam.

Think I could get one of these for my laptop? How long would the battery last?

Just like the cost of a GTX 1080 far outweighs the performance gains. You pay premium for the added convenience.

probably about a year on windows, 35-40 minutes on linux

>Because we're running out of fossil fuels/stuff that's used to create gasoline.
Source?
>pro tip: we aren't

Also when we do solar and batteries will be dirt cheap.
>pic related

coal reserves have about 110 years left and natural gas and oil have about 60 years left each at current rates of consumption

Again, the powerwall is meant as an emergency power supply.

It would be wiser to invest in more solar panels as every set of 4 250W solar panels (~$800) are able to realistically produce about 4kWh of electricity in a sunny day. Excessive amounts solar panels would allow you to break even, even on cloudy days. That's why I'm waiting for cheap 1kW solar panels btw.

In fact, turning your yard into a solar farm can actually be profitable since electric jews are forced to pay for electricity your put back into the grid. YMMV though.

>Again, the powerwall is meant as an emergency power supply.

Not exactly. While that's one use, it's supposed to serve as the bank for a solar installation so that people don't have to manage their own SLA banks. On a lesser note, it's also a power conditioner which is nice for things like LED lighting.

So there is an infinitely long well full of infinite amount of crude oil in the earth's crust? k

The prices will soon start rising as more and more reserves get depleted.

Anyway hopefully in a decade those cheap 1kW solar panels will finally be a reality. The 20% solar efficiency in current solar panels is a fucking joke.

>The prices will soon start rising as more and more reserves get depleted.

Not anytime soon thanks to the fracking boom and America cuck-pricing the saudis

I agree with you though in principle. There's no way that Anne needs to be driving a gas guzzler 3 miles to work so she can edit excel sheets.

is that a zpm?
KEK

moshi moshi, where are the proofs?

straight from BP

knoema.com/smsfgud/bp-world-reserves-of-fossil-fuels

>BP
Hmmmmmm

>In fact, turning your yard into a solar farm can actually be profitable since electric jews are forced to pay for electricity your put back into the grid. YMMV though.

I don't want net metering. I want to be my own power plant, so I don't need the grid.

Is Sup Forums just full of idiots acting superior about shit they have absolutely zero knowledge about? Jesus Christ.

Yeah, the future of power storage. Though the Ancients dun goofed. Ours will be rechargeable with solar.

what are you going off on?

It doesn't hang off of fucking drywall. Why is it that every idiot here thinks they're so much smarter than "dah sheepole" that they think that they know better and have identified the glaring flaw in something developed and tested over years by a dedicated R&D team full of highly paid experts? It's like this for basically everything that's posted here.

Hmmm this reminds me of that tiny nuclear power plant the chinks are working to cram inside a shipping container. Said to be able to power 50,000 homes.

Maybe one day we'll get safe nuclear reactor plants that will fit inside 5 gallon water jug sized containers capable of producing a constant 10kW for decades. I'm sure that will be more than enough for single family homes.

Betavoltaics (nuclear batteries) are another interesting alternative.

This is very incorrect, there is a full Battery Protection Module that balances and checks the status of every module, prevents overcharge and overdischarge as well as calculates state of charge and can send diagnostic data to Tesla and you. This is a custom solution with custom PCBs and software. Those are not cheap to design and create. Source: Friend of a powerwall engineer at Tesla, and I do battery stuff too.

Pic related: A battery pack I work on

I don't need the chink vision of the future. I want my reprap to be able to print my solar panels and make my batteries.

>complains about people not understanding things
>can't into the definition of 'plumb'

just stop dude

of course this is drilled into the studs

doesn't make it any better to store this much fucking energy in your living area

I design ebikes and even with the best safeguards, shit happens in manufacturing or user error

A small fire could turn this thing into mordor

I can buy a bms capable of 150V+ DC at over 200 amps for $60 on aliexpress so don't give me this shit

The question is do you trust a chinese bms with 100 kilos of highly volatile lithium batteries? Solid consumer grade bps' rated for multiple modules of lithium batteries start at $500.

>A small fire could turn this thing into mordor
As opposed to the natural gas line going into my house?

>start at $500.
Yeah, I'll buy chink.

>I don't need the chink vision of the future.
>I want my reprap to be able to print my solar panels and make my batteries.

The portable nuclear reactor/atomic battery would be a better deal though. You'd never have to worry about whether it will be sunny or not, you'd get a constant supply of electricity 24/7 for decades. Only con about the reactor would be that it would require a water supply and maintenance on the steam turbine/electric generator but that's about it.

Not sure how powerful or practical betavoltaics are though.

I don't know how it goes in your country but where I live the property owner pays a few hundred burgers for a permit that covers the cost of an inspector coming out to make sure your shit was installed correctly.

I don't know what people are talking about when they think backfeeding is a problem. Every solar inverter that I've seen that wouldn't shit itself when connected to the grid also senses voltage on the grid before trying to push power on to it. If the power company cuts power to do maintenance, the inverter notices it and disconnects itself from the grid and only powers the house.

Here backfeeding is mostly a problem when the power goes down for a week or two after a hurricane and suburban Bubba fires up the portable generator and connects it to his breaker panel without knowing your supposed to turn off the main breaker and feed your busbars through a big normal breaker. Regulations and fines don't really matter here. Bubba doesn't understand electricity or even understand that it can go out of his house. He just wants Stacy to quit bitching about not having air conditioning for a few days and to him he's just running an extension cord to do it.

so you figured it out, huh?!
congratulations!

>I don't know how it goes in your country but where I live the property owner pays a few hundred burgers for a permit that covers the cost of an inspector coming out to make sure your shit was installed correctly.

Most countries don't have this level of regulations or expertise available to them so they take the safe approach and just outlaw them

Hell there are a lot of communities in the U.S. that wouldn't be able to do this. Sure if you are living in Santa Clara, Denver, Austin, etc they will be able to put a regulatory mechanism together but most places are run by incompetent morons

>coal reserves have about 110 years left and natural gas and oil have about 60 years left each at current rates of consumption

I love when I read this. It reminds me of when I was a kid. My science book, that was published about 30-40 years ago, had the same numbers. You'd think it would have those numbers plus 40. It's not like energy consumption has decreased in the last 40 years...

I wish it would hurry up and deplete so the price would go up and research in to renewables would start as well as give economy of scale a kick in the ass for solar panels. The shit is made out of sand. Remember when gas hit $4+/gallon? Ten more years of that and we would have gotten somewhere.

well we found a shit ton more oil and natural gas thanks to offshore drilling and fracking

>Most countries
Mate this is a matter of the inverters and other devices needed for such type of installations as the other user said. Even in shitty and corrupt Mexico there's regulation for this kinda stuff. Supposing you're in a really shit country with no regulations the equipment you're gonna a use has to comply to some international regulation about safety.