SONY VAIO VGN-UX1XN

SONY VAIO VGN-UX1XN
Is it still worth buying? I can get it relatively cheap (around 250 bucks), i always had huge hardon for it. Im not sure what is this thing capable of these days, lookign for opinions.

No

Don't convince yourself that you'll actually use this thing for anything productive. It's a toy, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. Just don't buy it for the wrong reasons.

buy gpd pocket instead

UMPC's are cool but the problem is that you will never actually use them.
t. ASUS R2H owner

it couldn't do anything even when it was new

>Is it still worth buying?
It is stylish and geeky, it probably runs Windows 8, so why not?

The most important is to make sure that you can carry it around and it's weight is ok for you. Also battery life.

Only uses i can think of for it is remote desktop to my workstation to check how the work is going (i do a lot of rendering work), and answering e-mails / skype. Not sure about anything else, i dont game or anything. Maybe youtube on the go? (i really dislike smartphones as all-around devices, i still use multitap phones with 0-9 keyboards, like a pleb that i am.)

I have no problem carrying heavy stuff. Whats about battery life? It is really bad?

>VGN-UX1XN
I like Sony, but why do they always name their products by smashing a keyboard

with some hassle, you can install XP on it. Or go full STALLMAN and install loonix.

dont buy it if you want to do anything serious on it.
Buy it if you want just to fuck with it and then put on shelf.

Google it, idk.

I can't imagine it's spectacular
Also, if it's a couple of years old, the battery will be shit

how much battery life you can get on this thing?

I guess it doesn't (well, didn't) matter since they have a recognizable brand name: vaio

it was a respected name in some countries, too

so as far as marketing goes, no need to aim for an easy name when it is already a vaio or a sony

well figure out an use for it before you buy it

I wouldn't want it because the keyboard looks really iffy and if I wanted an UMPC, it'd definitely have to offer a decent physical keyboard. it'd have to be a somewhat capable notetaking machine for me

if it was REALLY cheap, maybe it'd be neat for some portable gaming or bed gaming. niice imagine some light VN:s on a device like that

does anyone know of any laptops preferably under 9 inches that have a hdmi out?

so you don't want to use a smart phone, so your solution is to carry a second bigger smart phone that can't call to do it?
assuming you remembered to charge it ofc

Not him but I do it too (although I also have a smartphone that I put my SIM card in occasionally, sometimes its convenient ot have that all-purpose device). And the second device I carry is either a netbook or a tablet 'cause UMPC:s are bad deals due to their relative obscurity

There are plenty of reasons. One might prefer not having distractions, one might think that the smartphone OS is too limited, one might think that the size is a problem (maybe they don't want to opt for a huge phablet but also wouldn't like to use a 4" smartphone...), so on

I have one, haven't used it in years though. From what I remember, battery life is okay - not great (but I managed to get one of the extended batteries, so your mileage may vary). The docking station is solidly built, and I do like the fact that you could use the fingerprint scanner as a scroll wheel. If I'm honest, I mostly used this for running old handheld console emulators / dosbox on the go, if that'll do you then fill your boots

I've had one for a year and love it. Use it for shitposting, Sim City 4, and SSH

Mine's got an extended battery and gets ~4.5hrs

>Mine's got an extended battery and gets ~4.5hrs
So it gets even thickier and still it works for 4,5 hrs only lol.

No, it gets wider
>4,5 hrs only
I'd say 4.5hrs is pretty decent given it's from 2006

except you can buy a tablet with better specs for less money in brand new condition..

TF100's pop up on ebay for $150 pretty often. They get 10+ hours of battery life.

I love the UMPC design. I wish the microsoft origami project hit it off... but buying a 11 year old machine today for anything other than nostalgia is stupid. Theres no way its gonna be usable, since in 2006 it was considered underpowered.

There is a whole lot of undemanding software which can run just fine on Core Solo.

>tablet
Not x86, and if it is there's no built-in physical controls

>TF100
Yes, let's keep the horrible speed of the UMPC but make it 3x larger for no good reason

it is an x86 chip. And yeah, its under powered, but its still like 5x better than a core solo... And again, 3/5ths the price of a USED sony UX.

Form factor is shit(again, i like the UMPCs better) but if you're not an autistic retard, and values actual performance, obviously the shitty tablet is the smarter buy.

I have multiple tablets, they're dumb. The UMPC is a much better device for the things I use it for. Tablets don't have keyboards and the only pointing device is a touchscreen. Fuck that.

The problem is that it's either
A) Not handheld (netbook)
or
B) No built-in physical controls (tablet)

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it's pretty sweet having a full x86 system on the go like that, but I still end up having to use it like a netbook because so few things are touch-friendly. A UMPC system doesnt have that problem by, while being underpowered, is a full system with full physical controls in the palm of your hand. You just pop it out and can do whatever you want.

>if it's a couple of years old, the battery will be shit
Not necessarily

That isn't too difficult to manage in the ~11" range of you're open to a slightly larger footprint

I had three managed to get Win 7 fully functioning besides the front camera

Really cool idea but not all that useful anymore just get a small laptop or a chromebook

Mine lasted about 3 hours with the extended 4 cell battery that was brand new

this is the only correct reply

No, it's quite a bad one actually.

Got Win 7 running on mine as well, ironically it seemed to run better once I had

I use normal phone to call, and have smartphone for e-mails, vnc and skype - but i dont really like touch-typing, the whole idea of it pisses me off.

I had asus transformer (assuming tf100 is for that device), and it was too big, if i want to use notebook, i'd use my laptop lol, not oversized android phone with not comfy keyboard

That's why I use BlackBerries. If I could comfortably carry it in my jeans pocket I would definitely use my VAIO UX instead

will you be able to point to some downlaod of drivers pack? I've tried to get one from microPC forum, but all links are dead.

No thank you, it looks like cheapo popstation game.

i had blackberry terminal for 7 years or so, but the blackberry hub was always shitty, and vnc stopped working because blackberry world, so i discarded the phone.

all links are dead, go fuck yourself.

I've got an OQO myself. The battery is dead and it struggles at doing anything I throw at it, but it looks cool though.