/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress and single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to Ryzen 7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470-RX580, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, and/or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>470 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz. Look for them on sale ~$130 or less.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/WVc2nn
outervision.com/b/nebq0X
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VjZnr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6PbD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/c4jVCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/F7zmvV
pcpartpicker.com/user/Antoforgione/saved/8xtpgs
pcpartpicker.com/list/H9qY7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/9BfKRG
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

also
>post your insane component list
>are you a virgin

>RX480 is about 8-12% faster than RX470.
>RX580 about 5-10% faster than RX480.
>You can flash an RX480 to RX580 but the GPU die, cooler, and PCB are all inferior to the top end ones.
>A good RX480 like the XFX GTR is similar to the lower end RX580s that are selling for

I did see it looked cute but fiji(nano in this case) with it's 4kshaders and minor bump in performance didn't look like a good deal for how much they were charging for it($400+?) kinda wasted tech,plus I can only get them second hand now and it's still expensive af.

Hawaii is built to destroy if you can clock it high enough. Destroys games along with your power bill.

Guys i did not follow Polaris memory OC thingy. I remember there were some problems when timings were getting worse as clock wetn higher but i dont remember if it was bypassed somehow or i dunno. If someone follows OC tech please respond.

Yeah same.
I had a 7970 at the time and I wanted one so fucking bad.
So much more power efficient, smaller
... but not even double the performance with drivers at the time for something newer and more expensive.
And you couldn't overclock them like Tahiti and Hawaii.

So I waited and I wait. Figured they'd come out with a second generation Nano soon. It's been almost 2 years now.

>1080p gamin
470 or 570?

570 of course. What the fuck is this question? Well if they cost the same or around of course.

Yes.

Depends on price. Can't you figure that you yourself by ?
If the RX470 is >20% lower price, especially if it's a decent RX470 model, then it's a much better value.

I wouldn't buy reference RX470s or ones with shit coolers, though. The coolers on non-ref are way better. And the RX570 coolers are even better still.

>start messing with overclocking 1700 on crosshair hero
>all dem options to tweak

Ryzen is really quite interesting to overclock given how so many things are tied into others. It sure helps that Pstate overclocking means you can get best of both worlds - the high core clocks as well as the ability to the chip to clock down when not under load.

dumb question. If a gpu offers zero fan modus while the cheaper version does not. Does that mean that the fans are always on on the cheaper version? Or how do I have to understand it? Regarding the rx 570 sapphire pulse itx vs nitro+

Beginning transplant. Nurse! Have the receipt at the ready.

move to new thread

>Does that mean that the fans are always on on the cheaper version?

Yes - their minimum speed will be anything above zero (probably 20%).

which means that, if you want a silent system, you should go for the more expensive card that offers zero fan modus?

Best build comin thru
pcpartpicker.com/list/WVc2nn

I have a 1050 Ti

Should I upgrade to 1060 6gb, 480 4gb, or >le wait meme?

Do you guys agree with this PSU calculator for this hypothetical computer?

outervision.com/b/nebq0X

There is a world of difference between zero decibels and what the human ear can pick up. What people often forget is when your system is under heavy load it is most likely the psu fan making the biggest noise in your case.

I already answered in previous thread.

I'm upgrading from a fx6300 to a 7600k. I'm not going to be streaming while gaymen. I still can't think of a reason to get a 1600x instead.

Successful swap. Beginning diagnostics.

Oh and by the way, what are the chances Im able to boot right into windows 10 on this new build? Linux booted right up when I pointed the bootloader at the proper drive. Although it did say "unknown hardware detected".

Should I do a fresh install of Windows 10 even if it boots? Or would I get by fine with just removing all traces of Intel drivers, restarting, and installing new drivers?

>upgrading to a dead socket

DDU

>Should I do a fresh install of Windows 10 even if it boots?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot

(That is a yes)

How do I upgrade to W10 without all the botnet shit?

I know I only come up with memes. No real reason to go ryzen.

I'll give you some

AMD actually gives you a decent stock cooler included with the chip.

Not supporting a company that has been price gouging forever (Intel)

You're getting 12 threads with similar performance in single core and gaming, but absolutely curb stomp the 760k in multithreading.

You're getting the above for cheaper than the i5

The i5 k series will require an over priced Z series board to take advantage of the overclocking while the Ryzenchip can and will do overclocking on even the budget B350 series boards

Ryzen has proper fluxless solder under it's lid and won't run nuclear a few years from now

While OC headroom on Ryzen is small, you won't have to delid your CPU to do it. Unlike Kaby/skylake, delidding is practically required for high long term OC's

Lastly, recent games have shown to run very well on moar coar. Smoother gameplay and higher lows in fps compared to the stutter of a quad core.

T. Former i7-6700k owner.

It is a valid concern depending on your plans for the longevity of a system. If you purchased (say) a 1600x when zen+ coems around a bios update should be all you need for the chip to be supported. If you want a shiny new cofee lake cpu you're fucked - you need a new motherboard as well (which also might mean a new cooler if mounting points change etc etc).

Yes, I've read it. Thanks for the input. I'm looking for more answers.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VjZnr7

Anything I can improve on this build, it's for video editing and I don't want to increase the budget any further.

I have an 3570

Is there really any reason to upgrade?

What are you doing with your PC? Shitposting, anime, and light gaming? Don't bother. Encoding, AAA gaming in high resolution, video editing, etc? Yes.

All relative to what your PC is used for.

so what's up with taichi stock?
looking at that board, but shitall site has it available right now.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6PbD8
Rate for 1080p
Any changes?

Has there been any news on Zen 2? Is it going to actually clock over 4GHz?

You guys need to stop being spergs with PSUs. Yes, 650W is more than you need for an overclocked 1800X and 1080Ti or Vega.

>streaming on a 7600k
nice bait

Absolutely do a fresh install or Windows. No argument.
Recompiling Linux is ideal, too, as it'll run that little bit better.

>reddit formatting
Sup Forums should really auto detect that as spam.

Cheapest I can get:
1060 6G = $265
470 4G = $205
480 4G = $247
480 8G = $281

wat do?
500 series are still not out where I live

Replying to more than two posters should get you auto b& just for being a (you) baiting faggot

You dont trust me?

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VjZnr7
Just get an RX550 or something if it's literally just for video editing.
They should only be like $50 or some shit when they come out in a few days.
idk dude, fuck. Your budget is so tight for video editing.
You fill up 1TB so fast with videos, I have no clue how you're going to do this.
You also typically want 16Gb of RAM, and a fast scratch drive separate from your main SSD.

>best board and best high end value is always sold out for a CPU that's getting record sales. What gives?!

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6PbD8
Know that you'll have trouble overclocking on that board as it's 3 phase VRMs. But for a 1500X stock it's fine. And you may be able to OC if airflow is good enough, just be careful.
I'd get a semi-modular PSU too, but otherwise the build looks good.

Id wait for 570. If you dont wanna then 470 4Gb is obvious choice.

>Has there been any news on Zen 2? Is it going to actually clock over 4GHz?
Zen3 will almost surely be around 10% higher clocks or more.
Zen2 is unknown. If they switch from the LPP process to LPU, then maybe.

>1060 6G = $265
>470 4G = $205
>480 4G = $247
>480 8G = $281
Depends on the games you can play.
470 4GB and 1060 6GB will be your best options at those prices.
470 will be the best value unless you mostly play Overwatch on a 100hz+ monitor and some other highly Nvidia favored titles like idk GTAV? But the 470 still plays that 60+ on "high" settings.

>Zen3 will almost surely be around 10% higher clocks or more.
>Zen2 is unknown. If they switch from the LPP process to LPU, then maybe.
Is Zen a meme?

>470 will be the best value unless you mostly play Overwatch on a 100hz+ monitor
I have 470 and i have 120+ FPS locked on ultras.

Is more than 4g for 1080p gaming a meme or actually relevant?
Like, will I notice any difference between a 4gb 470/480 or a 8gb?

>Yes, 650W is more than you need for an overclocked 1800X and 1080Ti or Vega.

The thing is. Is 650W overkill or not?
Also take into consideration all the other peripherals. You guys always seem to only take the CPU and GPU into consideration, and I know it's the most crucial. but a lot of other peripherals also add up.

Hey. I built this several months ago with LogicalIncrements but never put a card in it. Just wondering if I could stick an RX 580 in here and be okay.

just saying man, i'm hoping it comes back in stock in time to take advantage of the 50usd off deal at microcenter when you buy it with a processor.

Ah is it overclocked? And in MP right?
Some people seem to drop to 90 on them. Maybe their PC is just full of malware.

>Is more than 4g for 1080p gaming a meme or actually relevant?
It's somewhat relevant due to the increased bandwidth.
But not even GR Wildlands, a very unoptimized game, uses over 4GB of VRAM if at 1080p if you just drop down from 4K textures to 1080p textures.

Also, reminder that AMD cards generally don't run like shit just because they're VRAM starved like how Nvidia ones completely shit the bed.

650W is just the right amount. Not too much, not too little, for an overclocked 1800X and 1080Ti/Vega.
>You guys always seem to only take the CPU and GPU into consideration
No we don't. HDDs only use like 12w when spinning up then just around 5-6w.
You're not going to have everything using 100% max power all at once unless you run applications to torture test every single component in your PC.
And, EVEN IF YOU FUCKING DO, a good quality 650w PSU will draw 750w under 24/7 usage perfectly fine. But the reality is that you'll usually be at around 45-250watt usage, and only 600-650 if you torture test it with a shitload of different torture tests all running simutaniously and never, ever, ever under normal usage. God, stop fucking arguing this, I've actually done all this shit and actually have a fucking watt-meter.

Looks good

Sup Sup Forums. I haven't done a new build since 2011 so I'm a bit out of the loop on the newer tech. I threw this together recently.

Going to be using it for gaming, streaming, 3D Modeling, some assorted Adobe programs.

Budget is ~$1700. Open to minimizing that of course. I'm not sure about the case, SSD or HDD at the moment.

pcpartpicker.com/list/c4jVCy

XFX GTR RX 480 or Sapphire RX 480?

Alternatively, do I get an RX 580? If so, which one?

>you should buy inferior products on the off chance they last longer
Cool idea

[obligatory >buying Windows post]

And it lives! Booted on first try no problem. Although windows being the cunt it is refused to install until I unplugged every other hard drive other than the one I want to install to. Old windows install also refused to boot. Blue screen instantly. Ah well. Everything important was taken off and backed up already. Now I just have to finish installing and updating, then I'll set my ram to it's 2400mhz @ CL12 settings, and I'm done! Hopefully I won't even require a BIOS flash.

>650W is just the right amount. Not too much, not too little, for an overclocked 1800X and 1080Ti/Vega.

The thing is, I lied to you. Please don't get mad at me, my build actually features an OCd 1600X on a X370 board. I also don't have 3 HDDs and only have 2 DIMMS. But I plan on upgrading in a few years to a newer AMD CPU, more RAM DIMMS, more HDDs, and probably more recent GPUs too, depending on what comes out. So I prefer to overestimate rather than underestimate and then having to buy a new PSU.

I have a 1060 6GB and it runs literally anything at 1080p. Obviously, it's sort of the sweetspot between bare minimum 4GB and overkill 8GB.
Which is why the 3GB is total dogshit and not worth owning.
To answer 4GB is good enough for pretty much anything in 1080p. Maybe you'll have to tune down game settings in a couple games, but overall there's no point to have 8GB on 1080p, really.

I'd get a 6700k.
I haven't seen anyone that's not needed to delid their 7700k lately.
Since you're overclocking, you'll get 99% the same results, but for cheaper and less hassle.

And if you're spending that much, why not get a 1TB SSD?
$400 for a 1070 is a shit price. Bad performance for that money.
>retail Windows

GTR, duh...? It's fairly equivalent to the lower end RX580s like the GTS, and leagues above the other 480s.
But I'd still just get the GTR when it drops to $210 as it was doing before. Isn't the GTS $230?

>Ah is it overclocked? And in MP right?
Some people seem to drop to 90 on them. Maybe their PC is just full of malware.
RX470 Red Devil stock clocks. Powerlimit 50%. Win 7 with literally no malware, optimized services and removed bloatware.

Of the two 480's, XFX GTR as it matches lower end 580's

Shit, I mean the Sapphire Nitro+.

Still the XFX?

Weird, because that's what most benchmarks put the 1060 at.
Like Gamers Nexus that disables every service possible, unplugs the internet, and makes the system into a console still just gets 121 FPS average on the 1060 in Overwatch and I'm pretty sure they put the 470 at like 95 or something idk.
You sure you didn't turn something down? It's not like you can't turn down a few settings and it still looks great and not really any different, and then it'll run 120 for sure.

Nitro+, GTR, and Red Devil GS seem to be the best RX580s. Maybe the Aorus too? Haven't seen much testing on the Aorus, and no noise test.

But if you want better value, that would be if you can still find the XFX GTR 480 for $210 as the XFX GTS 580 seems to be roughly the same die and PCB for $230

It outperforms the 7600K in most games and destroys it outside of games, why would you buy a shittier processor for the same price

I think a 580 it's a little overkill for that resolution, unless you have plans to upgrade to 1920x1080, you should be ok with a 4/570
and yes, if you have a nice power supply you could put a 580 in there

Yeah I plan to upgrade, just had this monitor lying around. Thanks!

Swap the 7700K for a Ryzen 7. The extra cores will help greatly with streaming/3D modeling.

>logical increments
>Z170 board
>with a locked i5
>and 2133 RAM
You're exactly the reason why logical increments was removed from the OP.
It leads people into making stupid ass builds that make no fucking sense. Thank you for this.

Yet almost every thread we have someone bitching that logical increments isn't in the OP.
Probably a samefag that works for that site and keeps spamming the other thread right after someone else makes this one.

Oh I didn't notice the use case. I just assumed when I saw the build. is correct.

>You sure you didn't turn something down?
Im playing on Ultra preset. Maybe you think of Epic settings?

so i made a mistake and ended up with 2 x370 motherboards. should i keep the aorus gaming 5 or the msi gaming pro carbon? both were around the same price due to the shipping on the msi

>he fell for the ryzen meme

the Aorus. Isn't it much better quality and better BIOS?

How do I know which RAM kits have Samsung B-die in them?

I want to get good RAM for Ryzen and was looking at getting the G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200MHz CAS16 but I have no idea where to check the type of die.

Don't worry so much about it. Any 3200 RAM will run at least at 2933 if you at least configure it correctly, and should reach that 3200 after some BIOS updates if not.

You don't need B die. High quality Hynix is still better than low quality Samsung.
And really, dual rank is better, and the May update should greatly improve dual rank speeds.

>And really, dual rank is better
Why is dual rank better? And how do I know which kits are single or dual rank?

Single/Dual rank in memory is something I truly know nothing about.

thats the thing. aorus looks better, but as a brand ive had better experiences with msi stuff. prefer the bios as well. hmm. guess ill test them out

Dual rank is lower latency, iirc. But harder to get faster speeds on. You can google and find dual rank and single rank tests on Ryzen.

Make two systems and use the other as a home server.

Oh! Please do go on...

Give me 1 reason not to get the cheapest Z270 motherboard available.

And before you ask:
>not gonna SLI
>not gonna overclock anything besides the cpu multiplier

>Make two systems and use the other as a home server
would do that, but id have to get a new case and i just upgraded it to a 4670k.

what the best low profile gfx card out there now? after a build i'll be doing shortly, i'll just need that to have a spare.

>Oh! Please do go on...
>You can google and find dual rank and single rank tests on Ryzen.

Cheapest Z270 is good if you just want to run faster RAM (which gives a cheaper and easier benefit than overclocking) and you're not going to overclock the CPU.

Sapphire pulse ITX RX570, and there's a few 1070 models as well.

help me pick a monitor, Sup Forums

(you)

Is Freesync worth it? I've got an R9 290 and thought about picking up a 144hz Freesync monitor to help extend the lifespan of my card while I wait for Vega. Is this a stupid idea? I only game at 1080p currently.

This is the worst time to buy a monitor. If you want the good tech, you have to play the "do I actually get a working monitor" lottery because the quality control of most monitors that has all the good tech like gsync+144hz+1440p has absolute shit quality control, and they're all expensive as fuck.

How would it not be worth it? It costs no extra money. It's just plain better.

I would agree with this.
There's a lot of "just wait" often thrown around Sup Forums, but this is different. There's never been a "just wait" monitor for monitors in over half a decade.

Freesync2 monitors are coming out later this year with HDR10 and 1ms response time as the maximum. Some are even under 0.1ms.
Freesync1 should become even more common as it's just the normal technology to have, especially with Xbox Scorpio supporting both.

pcpartpicker.com/list/F7zmvV
because why not

Why are people not getting the version of the D15 that comes with the AM4 bracket in these builds that have it?
It's the same price.

Bros what kind of performance can I expect from this build? What would be my limits? Open for suggestions

pcpartpicker.com/user/Antoforgione/saved/8xtpgs

Will be used for gaming and emulation. Also where can I look for sales/discounts on pc parts other than pcpartpicker?

Need a 1080p 60 fps gaming machine for 600$. Any help?

>Bros what kind of performance can I expect from this build?
>pcpartpicker.com/user/Antoforgione/saved/8xtpgs
60fps+ in 99.9% of games at 1440p if you fix the issues.
The other 0.1% you'll have to turn settings down to "high" or "very high", or something.

issues:
Replace the ram with 2x4GB or you're robbing yourself of up to 25% performance in games for no reason by using single channel. Granted... won't come into effect when GPU bottlenecked, but it's still stupid to do single channel.
And get a motherboard that has heatsinks for the VRMs.

Spend a little more for something that'll last longer.
pcpartpicker.com/list/H9qY7h
Could probably knock and extra $50 off or so waiting and watching for sales, too.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9BfKRG is a lot cheaper, but it'll drop under 60fps on a lot of games and is less than 1/3rd as powerful of a CPU in general.

Was it really worth to go full 80+ Gold / Platinum PSU over 80+ Bronze PSU?

Anyone know good RGB LED light strips? I am considering getting a NZXT Hue+ but want to hear other anons thoughts.

Worth it because Seasonic reliability and quality more so than the rating.
The cheaper ones were all Rosewills which are SOMETIMES okay, but not always and I don't have time to bother comparing them more closely. Easier to just spend $15 more for something that's known to be good.
Rosewills are often fine, especially their newer models, though.

I'm going to buy bulks of DDR3 1666MHz ram and there's nothing you can do to stop me!