Does HEVC look weird to anyone else? It's like the spatial depth of the background is compressed...

Does HEVC look weird to anyone else? It's like the spatial depth of the background is compressed. It looks crisper and there are less artifacts than h.264, but it just seems so...flat, as if everything is taking place on the same plane. It feels lifeless or kind of like a moving comic book when I watch it.

Other urls found in this thread:

ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7396272/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow, H.264 nostalgia, never thought I'd see it.

Why not use the same nebulous bullshit terms used for albums? Say the H.264 video sounds warmer.

Dunno. I'd need to see some examples.

I understand your point but generally that stuff is only regarded as snake oil when it's applied to lossless formats

that type of description is totally valid for comparing lossy formats, which is exactly what h.264 and h.265 are

mpeg2 has such a richer mouthfeel

Ok, I understand what you are saying OP, its hard to explain but after reading a bit basically what I gathered is that our eyes are trained to the 264 artifacts and its just going to take time to get used to HEVC

ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7396272/

>sign in to view
no thanks, globalist

>what's an abstract

wait so if there's a scene where something in the far distance moves slightly closer to the camera enough for it to be noticeable in the uncompressed video the object won't move at all in the hevc version?

yes

i'd rather just have a slight larger file desu.

same.

OP here, I think that hevc has some other good HVS model improvements over h.264, I just don't think that this depth perception stuff is really quite there yet, at least to my eyes. I wonder if this can be turned off during the encoding

x264 still produces slightly clearer images at equivalent bitrate. That is to be expected considering how much time and effort went into it compared to x265. Not that surprising since all the patent shenanigans around HEVC discouraged a lot of devs to support it.
I'm pretty sure AV1 will replace HEVC and h264 before HEVC replaces h264.

x264 to me is still incredible. If HEVC is going to introduce these problems, it can wither and die for all I care. I would rather have slightly larger videos.

>slightly
its actually very very significant, like, one torrent is 100GB and one is 10GB thats hardly slightly

I should have been more clear, obviously the larger is 264, and the smaller HEVC, also it seems to only affect high motion scenes

I notice it the most in slow pans, say interior shots of castles that are dark but have a lot of depth. Full action has enough motion blur at 25fps to disguise it

>I'm pretty sure AV1 will replace HEVC and h264 before HEVC replaces h264.
but for which delivery format?

H.265's 32x32 transform makes it superior to H.264(8x8).

post comparisons plz

Amazon, Google and Netflix are behind AV1. So with that goes Amazon Video, Twitch.tv, Youtube and Netflix.

They're just HBO Go away from having 95% of online video covered by AV1.

The only thing that will be left using HEVC will be 4K Blurays as the reality of being a physical standard means you can't exactly overnight swap everything to AV1 and have the players still work.

MPEG2 and H264 feel too digital for me, I only watch film reels

mass storage is cheap tho

Why do my converted files in h265 with handbrake have colder colors?

Bandwidth is limited forever.

AV1 destroys H.264 in quality and bitrate savings, it's not even comparable

It also destroys HEVC depending on which experiment is activated.

>It feels lifeless or kind of like a moving comic book when I watch it.
HEVC has something called SAO (Sample Adaptive Offset) which is a filter. This is the source of the oil painting effect it has on video.

>the oil painting effect

YES, this is an apt description of the problem

AV1 is fun and all untill you try to encode with it. It seems to be single threaded in the real world and my encodings are measured in frames per minute. 1.5 frames per minute with my FX-6300. Did this test a few days ago.

That's color banding which 10-bit HEVC fixes.

HEVC has very noticeable detail filtering (what I called oil paintings) to help with compression at lower bitrates/crf. Higher quality encodes will have less of this effect.

As far as banding, I'm talking about 8-bit content in and 8-bit content out. What I assume you are talking about is 8-bit content in and 10-bit content out. Which would need some kind of artificial dithering.

With 8-bit HEVC, I would bet you can set it to stop trying to save bandwidth in low contrast areas and dark low contrast areas. The source of much banding.

it really isn't, 20 movies per 2tb drive, really???

low bitrate x264 (yify) rips have the same effect