Find a flaw

find a flaw

protip: you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

paulgraham.com/pfaq.html
github.com/neovim/neovim/pull/4411
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>can't copy paste from clipboard easily

Why should I learn a lot of shitty keybindings to start using it.

How is "*p hard? Are you daft?

>not using windows bindings mode

>no multiwindow support
>can't move buffers or tabs between multiple sessions

Okay, but there's no way to copy to the clipboard from vim.

For the same reason you have to learn where all the menu buttons are on all your gui editors or keybinds on other editors

vim has an internal clipboard

if you're referring to the clipboard shared between programs, that is managed by your desktop system whether it be the windows magic or x11. Use a terminal that supports system clipboard and copy using that. It should not be vim's job to manage a clipboard for the desktop program.

It's not emacs.

I just press Shift+Insert, it werks

Same syntax, "*y as long as your vim is compiled with clipboard support. Learn how registers work in vim, it's not hard

>doesn't have tetris
>doesn't have pong
>doesn't have a psychoterapist
How can you defend an editor lacking these features in 2017?

>doesn't even wish you happy birthday
what a fucking joke

This but + register instead. Yanking to the * register could just be selecting the text in visual mode.

Thanks for teaching me vim lads :^)
Baiting people is easier than google

I fucking love pressing Esc and then ':w' everytime I stop writing. fucking convenient as fuck

I love vi bindings but hate vimscript so I use Emacs with evil now. You get the best bindings and language in one package, and you can run it in daemon mode to give it a faster startup time than vim.

The less "editing" and more programming you do, the less efficient it becomes. Vim is a text EDITOR not a COMPOSER, and IDE-like features from add ons are very hacky indeed.

For an experienced programmer who makes very few mistakes, the rapid refactoring vim offers isn't worth constantly leaving insert mode for incredibly basic shit, so they might as well use emacs or sublime with a vi emulation layer for those tight spots.

But the average Sup Forums shitter who mostly edits other people's rice scripts and config files it's perfect

no async. can't wait to drop neovim, it breaks post-system-command actions

dated af

it literally just werks now (except on macs, they need to install a new version)

if by 'werks' you mean you have to hold alt as well

I thought vim 8 added async

>No Client/Server connection for one vim everywhere.

the only "IDE-like" features i'm using a code completion and syntax checker, but they work fine for me.
switching between insert and normal mode takes only a fraction of a second i don't see why this is an issue.

the real problem is that most people just have no idea how to use vim or just use it wrong and do bullshit like putting everything into their vimrc instead of after/filetype plugins and project specific configurations, etc..

caps lock

Literally not user friendly. you have to know what you're doing to figure it out

otherwise you become one of those people that wonder why no text is being inputted

Also fucking most distros are behind and don't support gud shit.

>Ubuntu: Vim 6.x compiled without any scripting support

>OSX: Vim 7.x with Python 2!

>Ubuntu: Vim 6.x compiled without any scripting support
what ancient version of ubuntu are you using ?

It did, but there's no replacement for neovim's shell yet.

Good recovery faggot

>neovim's shell
whats that ?

terminal emulator inside neovim

so no shell ? and you launch some vim clone inside a terminal emulator to launch a terminal emulator ?
i think you should reconsider your workflow...

It's hardly a clone, it's more a complete reimplementation. Every single vim plugin works for it, every command is available. It is indistinguishable from Vim.
Except for if you want to switch windows after running a command in vimscript.

The logo is tacky, but yeah other than that it is literally perfect.

>no concept of projects, only sessions which are like shitty projects that don't gate editor features like you'd expect projects to do, and no plugin adequately handles the job either.
fucking D R O P P E D, this is literally the one thing that prevents me from using vim as my primary editor.

>vimL is the only scripting language guaranteed to be compiled-into vim
vimL is 100% indefensible as a scripting language.

what do you mean ? project specific configurations ?

>hurr durr I was just pretending to be retarded!

But on GUI you see them and every possibility is listed there so you can try it right away.

>not emacs

VimL, Vimscript, whatever the fuck you want to call it.
Also it isn't as ergonomic on, say, dvorak.

>Cunningham's Law

The original brilliant guys and gals here only allowed two languages in Amazon's hallowed source repository: C and Lisp.

Go figure.

They all used Emacs, of course. Hell, Eric Benson was one of the authors of XEmacs1. All of the greatest engineers in the world use Emacs. The world-changer types. Not the great gal in the cube next to you. Not Fred, the amazing guy down the hall. I'm talking about the greatest software developers of our profession, the ones who changed the face of the industry. The James Goslings, the Donald Knuths, the Paul Grahams2, the Jamie Zawinskis, the Eric Bensons. Real engineers use Emacs. You have to be way smart to use it well, and it makes you incredibly powerful if you can master it. Go look over Paul Nordstrom's shoulder while he works sometime, if you don't believe me. It's a real eye-opener for someone who's used Visual Blub .NET-like IDEs their whole career.

Emacs is the 100-year editor.

Shel wrote Mailman in C, and Customer Service wrapped it in Lisp. Emacs-Lisp. You don't know what Mailman is. Not unless you're a longtime Amazon employee, probably non-technical, and you've had to make our customers happy. Not indirectly, because some bullshit feature you wrote broke (because it was in C++) and pissed off our customers, so you had to go and fix it to restore happiness. No, I mean directly; i.e., you had to talk to them. Our lovely, illiterate, eloquent, well-meaning, hopeful, confused, helpful, angry, happy customers, the real ones, the ones buying stuff from us, our customers. Then you know Mailman.

Mailman was the Customer Service customer-email processing application for ... four, five years? A long time, anyway. It was written in Emacs. Everyone loved it.

People still love it. To this very day, I still have to listen to long stories from our non-technical folks about how much they miss Mailman. I'm not shitting you. Last Christmas I was at an Amazon party, some party I have no idea how I got invited to, filled with business people, all of them much prettier and more charming than me and the folks I work with here in the Furnace, the Boiler Room of Amazon. Four young women found out I was in Customer Service, cornered me, and talked for fifteen minutes about how much they missed Mailman and Emacs, and how Arizona (the JSP replacement we'd spent years developing) still just wasn't doing it for them.

It was truly surreal. I think they may have spiked the eggnog.

Shel's a genius. Emacs is a genius. Even non-technical people love Emacs. I'm typing in Emacs right now. I'd never voluntarily type anywhere else. It's more than just a productivity boost from having great typing shortcuts and text-editing features found nowhere else on the planet. I type 130 to 140 WPM, error-free, in Emacs, when I'm doing free-form text. I've timed it, with a typing-test Emacs application I wrote. But it's more than that.

Emacs has the Quality Without a Name.

Speed... keys are faster than mouse navigation a majority of the time

>The Paul Grahams
It says that he uses vi on the first question of his FAQ.
paulgraham.com/pfaq.html

>vimscript

I can't, I always find my self coming back to NeoVim due to missing it after trying something else out. The only other thing that comes close to mind is Spacemacs (with vim bindings) I really like the "out of the box" experience it offers.

>yank doesn't paste
but why?

t. efags

FUCK VIMSCRIPT

> zsh

Vim can't open the entire project folder like Atom. pro-tip, if you want to use this type 'atom .' once inside your project directory :)

Impossible to use when you only have one hand

Assuming you're not a moron who types with 2 fingers, keybindings aren't that hard.
JKL; - movement (number + movement key = times to that direction
A/I - Append to the end of line/Insert to the start of line (lower case a/i will work on your cursors position, not line)
v - mark for selection (V mark lines)
y - yank
p - paste
dd - delete line
dc - delete char
dw - delete word
u - undo
etc etc...

How fucking hard it is?

Someone complaining about "oh how many keybindings to remember, I can't do this" must be child or shit for brains.

I meant lower case jkl

whats wrong with zshell

shift+v
highlight what you want and press y

you can get a plugin to autosave at a set interval

Lacks an operating system

not written in lisp or forth

>wishes happy birthday
Botnet cuck

>YANK YANK
I think that in my head everytime I copy a few lines.

The only on topic and valid responses so far.

(You) are me.

false or trivial setting

true

Handling of both file tags and projects properly is the only big thing I'm missing

t. vim user

Why would anyone today use anything else than Sublime Text?

They're not the only valid ones you fag, and they're the ones that matter the least. Besides, vimscript is just fine for a text editor scripting language, and its close resemblance to normal mode commands and console commands makes it in fact pretty decent.

for instance are right - the lack of proper session management (between multiple instances), lack of sync between multiple instances, and inability to integrate IDE-like tools are big problems. Not enough for me to give up vim's comfiness though.

Can you neo-Sup Forums have an argument without tilting and insulting everyone everytime?

>dc - delete char
wat

Sup Forums has always been like that.

Vim's main flaw is VimScript, which is fucking trash.

But the language used for editing is a joy to behold, even if it has its weird exceptions.

NeoVim brings real hope to the table because pretty soon we'll have a full-fledged Lua interface for implementing plugins for Vim, which is fucking amazong.

It's going to be a joy to write and will be much faster than VimScript.

Vim is not for everyone but it is a very powerful tool if you are willing to invest into learning it.

I'm switching to linux on my desktop so I'm going to use Vim a lot since a noob should not be lazy and write code manually a lot.

When I feel comfortable enough I'll migrate to an IDE something like Clion or dunno haven't researched much.

C++/C mainly.

>not using emacs
a-are you baka user-kun?

>all the most innovative products of all time were the result of using your favorite outdated text editor and not providing useful and in-demand services

W E W L A D

The thing is, once you get comfortable enough with vim and you breach that learning curve peak you realize you can't live without vim-like motions.

Good thing is, all kinds of good IDEs have plugins to add more or less a decent set of vim motions.

Learning curve is too steep

But it isn't.

Do the freaking Vimtutor for a few days. It's about 15-20 minutes for a few days.
Congratulations, you are now just as fast with Vim as with any other editor. From now on if you get better (even a little bit) you'll save plenty of time in your future.

Whoa whoa, such a decent post on Sup Forums?
GTFO to reddit...

Vimscript could use a total overhaul.

There's work ongoing in github.com/neovim/neovim/pull/4411 to implement a full Lua interface.

A good alternative to VimScript.

remap it to semicolon

Can't activate it with CIA nigger's license.

>hating on vimscript
>can''t drop vimscript because compatibility
>wanting lua too
>possibly wanting lua on top of vimscript
>muh abstractions
>neovim should depend on every library
>lua + msgpack + libuv + whatever other shit neovim devs come up with
>this_is_good.jpg
>my_reddit.carma.png
>please donate to neovim and will hire full time developers to work on it
>we lied kek, no refunds
>let's spead disinfo on bram that he was mean to us
>the gullible moron of reddit will believe us because they don't read the mailing list only the blog posts of our shills
>please donate
>neovim is async, vim is not (vim 8 fixed that and in a better, simpler way (json) without 3rd party shitty libraries)
>vim code is ugly, neovim is not, we refactor (vim 8 fixed that too, but neovim's reddit defence force is too busy donating to check the source)
>please donate
>we have a terminal emulator now, we are emacs
>still no gui
Fuck off, neovim is the worst thing to happen to text editors in a long time

Jesus are you salty.

I just like neovim because it brought features I liked pretty quickly. I haven't looked into the codebase nor have I followed any of the drama.

I just like what they've added so far so I'm using it.

Never use ctrl-r with untrusted content, if it contains any control characters it will execute them

vim's job should be what i want it to be

netrw is meh

Debugging is absolute shit.

- shitty performance, neovim is not much better
- terribly slow debuggers
- useless code completion
- even latex tools are crappy

I don't give a fuck about Uganda.

>Vim: help uganda
or
>Emacs: help stallman get on mcdonald's wifi
tough choice