HDDfags, this is what you use to store your data. Spinning rust

HDDfags, this is what you use to store your data. Spinning rust.

When will you upgrade to at least a SSD boot drive?

the fuck is that.delete it. it scares me

That is for car breaks

I don't remember installing a car brake rotor in my machine..
Pretty sure I'd remember installing such a heavy piece of hardware in my tower.

/o/ here I approve this message

That's a brake disk you nigger!

Damn foxbodies are so asethetic

Nigga I tell you my HDD bloated-over-the-years Windows XP partition boots faster than my super-dupe SSD W7 gaming partition.

Is this what happens to a hard drive when one is a rust developer?

No it doesn't retard

they've definitely aged like wine

It's a rusted brake rotor.
Do you even Do general maintenance on your cars?

i have a ufo inside my pc?

cool

I've warned my wife that an '89-92 Mustang is in my near future. I owned 3 of them when I was younger, the last one I dropped a well built 351 Windsor in it and trapped at 11.48 in the quarter.

This time around I'm just going to pull whatever I can for cheap out of the 302.

Sup Forums will never accept progress

whether it's SSDs, cloud storage, good audio equipment that isn't crackly 4 decade old dumpster dived distortion radiators, or superior quartz watches instead of rattly Soviet mechanical watches with kitschy USSR logos everywhere, there will always be retards who defend old shit because they think they were born in the wrong decade

Why do hard drives need to spin so fast? The gauge on my car maxes out at 8,000 rpm, and it never gets close to that in practice. It seems weird that my hard drive spins at 7,2000 rpm in comparison

pros and cons

theres the whole needs to be powered up once a year thing with ssd, although I think I only have one drive that dosnt, and thats because its not sata

then cause im computer illiterate, I couldnt tell you if swap is hard on ssd or if thats a meme

artificial gravity for the bits, so they dont fly off the disk

>at least a SSD boot drive
This is the only reason for an SSD, or if you need IO. Flash storage will degrade when left unpowered. If you fill up TBs of flash storage, you'll still need to transfer at some point, so might as well use HDDs from the get-go.
>progress
You make it sound like flash storage is an direct upgrade to magnetic. This is false.

Downgraded this station to a 1000 GB shit HDD from a 120 GB Basic SSD to use this SSD for video editing in my primary build. This computer is shit anyway and the SSD was more worth than this whole system.

I have an SSD boot drive.

I'd love to be all-SSD but for that to happen SSDs need to beat HDDs on price-per-gigabyte, not just on speed. I don't care about speed when I store chinese cartoons, I care about capacity per dollar. I don't think the day is very close when I'll be able to get an SSD for under thirty bucks a terabyte.

lol. the moving part of the car in just the engine itself probably weighs 10 lbs, and part of that is moving back and forth (not just spinning). In comparison an HDD platter probably weighs 0.05 lbs. not comparable at all.

Tape drives are at ~$20 per TB uncompressed($10 compressed).
Solid 30 years of storage.

>implying glass platters with an 30nm iron cating which is then coated in ~15nm of carbon in a sealed environment free of moisture is going to rust
Maybe if you leave them underwater?

Nothing wrong with HDDs for storage, even hot storage still.
I wouldn't boot with one now though.

If the tape drive is still working in 30 years.
If your one tape drive breaks, you lose access to all your backups.

HDDs are just as reliable as a tape drive, but since each HDD has its own read heads/motor/etc if one fails, you havent lost access to the others.

This is all assuming a safe environment for storage (low/no humidity, sub 40c, no light) which both tapes, the tape drive and the HDDs will need for longevity.

Who would use SSDs for cold or offline storage anyway?
Even on a desktop, as per your chart and the anandtech article it comes from, you've got 1 year at 30c with the device powered off.
Considering this is Sup Forums and most people are going to have their systems powered on at least once a day (if ever powered off) it's not an issue at all.

This reminds me I need to do my brakes.

4x3TB SSD drives in raidz1 instead of HDD? Are you crazy? If I shat gold then maybe I could afford it.

Lies
W10 boots in like 4 seconds on Samsung EVO 850