Most Normie Linux

So I bought an XPS 13 and realized Windows 10 is horrible. I'd sell it and buy a Macbook Pro, but we all know what happened to those.

So what's the most accessible linux distro? Maybe one that's similar to OS X, one that I could put on a laptop.

THANK YOU GEE

Other urls found in this thread:

tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-13-9360-on-macos-sierra-10-12-x-lts-long-term-support-guide.213141/
elementary.io/
ubuntu.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ubuntu.

Just get real OS X. Hackintosh is easy and bootloader won't cause you problems. "normie" linux would, and you won't really know how to fix them. So if you really want you should install gentoo or slackware or alpine

Elementary? It's pretty similar to osx visually

Ubuntu

Well, the only guide I could find for my model is this: tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-13-9360-on-macos-sierra-10-12-x-lts-long-term-support-guide.213141/

It's really complicated and I am not a tech literate person.

This is what you're looking for OP

elementary.io/

God I hate the keyboard on this laptop. I'm actually using my T420 over it right now due to that fact. Sure is pretty though. Also Ubuntu is all you need imo.

If you want MacOS on Linux, ElementaryOS is your best choice.

Then there's Ubuntu with Unity and that's okay. Unified top bar is decent. Also Ubuntu with GNOME is pretty okay, but the app drawer on it is retarded and made for tablets.

But just hackintosh it and don't install updates.

seconding this

Anyone suggesting anything other than Ubuntu for normies is retarded

>pass user since 2012
>calling other people retarded

o i am laffin

You know, only normies can even see that little clover.

unity is also kinda similar to osx visually with the global menu and all

Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition 18.1 'Serena'

Elementary does look pretty. Can it install the same types of programs as Ubuntu? Like Steam, Firefox, OpenOffice, common stuff like that?

That question is exactly why you should install Ubuntu.

Seconding

But if they operate similarly I'd rather get the pretty one.

Then you shouldn't use Linux at all, get a mac faggot.

I'd rather not!

>i like sucking cocks but i don't want to be labeled as a homosexual

>most accessible
This is divided into two things.
One is a good distribution.
Another is a good desktop.

The distribution (distro) is responsible for the software availability, how updates are handled and stuff like that.
If you use ubuntu, then you have a lot of packages and the update schedule mostly makes sense.
If you go with ubuntu, pick the long term support release (LTS), basically, they take a snapshot of all packages and then only provide security updates after that.
LTS versions are made every other year, so the latest is 16.04, meaning 2016, april.
Because they do big updates like that, everything will break every 2 years, in that case, you have to reinstall.
But that is more normie friendly than having one package break one by one as it would on a rolling release.
And by break, I mean stuff like configuration options gets changed, new features is added, others is removed and if you have other programs that rely on that, it gets messy.
You can fix it yourself, but I guess you wouldn't ask that question then.

I think ubuntu is best for most people.

The next is the desktop.
Here you quickly get into a flamewar over what is best, so don't ask that question unless you want opinions and personal stories.
The big options is KDE, Gnome, Mate, Xfce, Cinnamon and Unity.

a trap?

cont.
My opinion on the desktops:

I personally prefer something like KDE because it has a million tools and a few of them is really good.
But it is developed by people who likes to implement a cool new feature and fixing bugs is not always as fun.
This means most of the things work in the way they were intended to be used, but if you push the boundaries a bit, they might stop to work.
Go for KDE if you want features.

Gnome has the opposite approach.
They go for the visual appealing desktop and if something has a bug in it, they either claim it is a feature or remove the feature just to make people stop complain about it.

mate is old and stable. It is what gnome used to be when I started using gnu/linux.
It doesn't have any cool features, but if you want something that isn't so flashy and just gets out of the way, use that.

xfce, more features than mate, but not in the same camp as KDE. Doesn't use that many resources.

Cinnamon
I never tried it.

Unity
I don't personally like it.
It used to be the default desktop if you went to ubuntu.com, but they are changing that to gnome in the next LTS.
If you are new, I don't recommend that you start there as it is on its way out.
But a lot of people didn't mind it, but I suspect that it is mostly people who never tried anything better.

You will also hear people that they do not use a desktop and only use a window manager.
And will always belittle people who don't care as much as they do.
What it means is they made a bit more choices on what they want to run on the computer.
It does give more control, but I wouldn't recommend it until you know what you want in a desktop and then find out which tools you think is best to achieve that.
It takes a lot more effort as you find that a lot of services is things you never cared about but need anyway.

openSUSE Leap

Grab the latest version 42.2 off their website.

Select KDE as the DE when prompted, GNOME is a flaming piece of shit.

openSUSE is great for beginners because it has YaST, a tool that is basically a GUI for all sorts of administrative function you normally do in terminal.

I don't care about the labeling at all. I like Macbooks but they made them too expensive and took away too many features.
I don't fully understand what you're saying, but it sounds like I should probably stick to Ubuntu.

Also, people keep mentioning Unity. I thought that was a video game engine?

Look at screen shots of the distros and DEs mentioned. Pick whatever you find prettiest.

I recommend xubuntu. Very easy to make it look like mac.

the keyboard is alright for me, but yeah compared to any thinkpad keyboard is shit. Though I can't complain as I got the XPS 13 FHD with a 7200u 256GB 8GB i5 for only $880 total.

Ubuntu or Elementary OS. Godspeed OP.
elementary.io/
ubuntu.com/

if you bought the non dev edition and expect to use linux without issue, you're a fucking idiot.

good luck moron.

lol at the tagline of ubuntu being meant for people that can't run windows

Ubuntu is the only not shit option.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Thanks!

harsh, but legitimately good advice
if you want to use linux you should actually learn how to use linux, and a good way to do that to start with is to configure your own system. that way, when there's a problem (linux, something will go wrong) you won't be totally at a loss how to fix it.

It is actually linux faggot

Great write-up

All I'll say is if OP wants the MacOS experience there's only one way to get it and that's to Hackintosh your shit.
It's like asking if Linux or MacOS can give you the windows experience. They can't.
Each environment provides the user with a unique experience, figure out what you want, attempt to achieve that experience, and when you have troubles SQTDDTOT it up.

Tbqh do what this guy said get hackintosh it's the normie unix-like system.

should have bought a mac then, retard.

"i want to use the best operating system on the planet"

"I want to put zero energy into installing it on non sanctioned hardware, and btw I bought a meme plasticbook 13 because macs are for normies"

>.t xps shills

>buying macshit
retard

GODHEEM!!

the only rational argument anyone can possibly make is cost, and to that my answer is "then buy a MBA like a normie".

without a shadow of a doubt the best OS, best build quality, and best ecosystem. you will pay more money for lower specs and love every minute of it. most gaemz run worse on openGL anyway, so if that's of concern, own a desktop too that runs shilldozer and try to use git or manage multiple python installations from it every once in a while to remind yourself why you never use windows for anything productive.

not that you have to buy apple hardware either. I run el capitan on my t430 at work.

also have el capitan running flawlessly on my windows desktop, but that installation doesn't get used much in favor of my iMac and shillbook.

>using the word "normie"
just kill yourself you cringy underage faggot

lel people recommending hackintosh for newb.

On my desktop at least there was some tweaking of kernel parameters to get it to work.

Ubuntu is just burn a usb disk, and install no prob on any hardware. Elementary and Mint are based on Ubuntu

>implying you can't put the Titan-tier Windows 7 on the XPS 13
>I mean really

Get the fuck out.

linux works fine on the non-dev edition, dev edition is a meme. you can swap out the wireless card if you really have problems (you wont)

>posts on a technology board
>can't adapt to new technology

It's gonna get killed off anyway, so try Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Budgie and Kubuntu. These are community flavors of the same distro, so expect the same compatibility and support for them.

>"I'd sell and buy a MacBook"
>Windows 7 isn't a viable replacement
>literally Ubuntu

KDE is fairly easy to make look like Mac as well. I switched to Solus so I can't demonstrate that, but you can use Latte Dock and put panel with Global Menu and Active Window Control on top.

Budgie looks really comfy btw

linux mint

>without a shadow of a doubt the best OS
Until you want to merge folders.

top kek

Solus with Budgie is pretty nice. It's intended for normies.

Just install 8.1 on it

> I don't fully understand what you're saying,
Wtf don't you understand? 'Linux' is some base system (distro) which has its own packaging system (a la app stor, package is some software prepared (packaged) for the system) plus GUI (desktop evnironment) on top of it. Mac OS is also Unix with its own packages and its own GUI.

MacOS

Kek

Marxism: The Picture

Just like what other anons said, install Elementary you dumb faggot

Fedora/red hat or try booting windows 7.
if you wanted that "os x" feel. than you shouldnt have got a dell. no distro will ever replace using mac os.

Illiteracy: The post

butthurt commie detected

Ubuntu is the only normie non-windows OS. After you get used to that, you might want something better.

Ubuntu and if you want it to be similar to osx iinstall macbuntu theme and La Capitaine icons.

Ubuntu and elementary are pretty inspired by osx

Anyone who used windows for a significant length of time will appreciate that on Linux the terminal is always there for you, to hug and cuddle you while you confess all your gripes to it.

Xubuntu

Or just install an earlier version of Windows if you'd like to stick to that

Dell sells that laptop with Fedora preinstalled afaik. There was a review on ars about it, so I guess it's pretty normie.

no, trust me, you don't want to use Elementary. The stock apps aren't that great, there is no minimize button and you have to go around their design philosophy and tweak it to actually make it work.

Just stick with ubuntu or get a macbook

>Accessible Linux distro
What's wrong? The little princess can't read a man page?

>stock apps aren't that great
Who gives a shit about stock apps
>no minimize button
Valid, but you can press the app icon on the dock to minimize it
>you have to go around their design philosophy and tweak it to actually make it work
What? Nah, git gud

Install Debian with MATE. If you have problems, Google it.

>putting a hardcore libertarian together with people you think are nazis into one picture
I am German and I think you are a fucking idiot for posting this

Zorin, looks like windows so you won't get all those funny stares for having some obscure edgy looking DR.

I second this. Had Loki installed for a few days and besides being an uninspired OSX rip off, it was a buggy as fuck annoying piece of shit. If you enjoy faggotry buying a mac and installing Hannah Montana Linux are both better options.

anything with gnome 3 installed

Mint cinnamont is pretty good.

Typing a common issue in a search engine and following one of the many solutions in some random forum is difficult? Ubuntu and its derivatives are easy enough for a beginner to grasp.
Gentoo is for more advanced users with specific requirements or hipsters flaunting their E-peen.

>solution is slightly incompatible with your setup
>you don't know how to modify it