/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horological tech and Rolex watches.

Keywords to keep the chink user away:
Taiwan Real China Kuomingtang Google Free Tibet Tenzin Gyatso Dalai Lama Twitter Facebook

PREVIOUS THREAD: Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=6ICTsqE4Fjs

Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DlyNICm2N9k
s.aliexpress.com/NJzeMbii
s.aliexpress.com/RfeURBVF
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for vintage Seiko sweaterposting.

does this also have the jap days or nah

As far as I am aware, all vintage JDM Seikos had English/Kanji day wheels.

I have a Citizen I just bought. Roman numerals for the hours but its missing a stroke on the III, so it goes "I II II IIII V" etc. Return it or worth something?

R8 my watch

I'm in Tokyo and looking for an upgrade from my osamacasio. Budget about ¥15000 max, what models of Japanese makers do you think are worth checking out in the price range? Any stores I should visit besides plebby Yodobashi?

I got this Gant watch from my boss yesterday, anyone know the name of it?

It's gant, duh.

Going to buy a few non-homage, non replica/fake pieces from China. Wish me luck.

Who the fuck wears a watch like that?

You mean loose?

Adam Savage wears his PO chrono pretty loose too.

It's nearly falling off in the previous picture. Wearing your watch so loose is retarded. I don't really care about Adam Savage.

It's pretty common.

thoughts on longines?

I know, I still think it's maximum retard.

reagan died in a diaper

Good shit, especially vintage.

Thoughts on NOMOS?

It's really comfortable for hot climates. As you sweat your watch can move to new places on your arm, allowing the sweat to evaporate and keep your wrist dry. Keeping your watch in one spot will get annoying.

Also, your wrist expands and contracts during the day, so if you always want it decently tight that means it may get uncomfortable when your wrist is at its biggest. If you allow it to be more comfortable when your wrist is at its biggest it will end up being loose when your wrist is at its smallest.

Overpriced, especially for how simple the design & finishing is on their watches.

Eh, I live somewhere quite warm, and I've never had any issues.

Shit for the price.

Well you may be more used to it I guess. When I was in India I wish I would have had a loose bracelet. Place was like a sauna to me and all I brought was a watch on nato. When I fly to LA or something I'm always going to have a loose bracelet.

When my wrist is at its smallest I'm able to push on the watch to slide it to the inside of my wrist, but when its at its biggest it wont move on it's own even a little, not even up and down my arm, and no way I could turn it to the inside.

LIs it true that leather straps are more dressy than bracelets?
That doesnt really make sense to me

I guess it makes sense for you, then. My wrist doesn't expand or contract nearly as drastically in different temperatures, either.

They can be, depends on the watch.

fuck off ninefag

Something like a dark croc strap definitely is. Why do you think you only see calatravas with croc straps?

The idea with being dressy is being understated and clean. What's more understated, a nice black or brown leather strap kind of like your belt and shoes -- or a bracelet, often with multiple facets and polished and brushed surfaces that sparkles and shines?

What seems to effect wrist size the most for me is activity level. If I were out running or working out, shit can get tight real fast.

May have to do with the fact that your forearms are one of the main places your body dumps heat in exercise afaik.

I'm generally wearing vintage or mechanical pieces, so I usually take them off if I'm doing anything more stressful than yard work.

I can't afford a date just so I got this off a watch forum for $30.

I like it

Fakes and "reps" are for faggots.

KYS

It's a waltham not an actual fake

The w-59 is superior to the f-91 in every way and no one realizes it

>no EL backlight
That would be the W-86, but for whatever reason it's only available in the UK or some shit making it more expensive. Took my ass forever to find one local. Fly as fuck.

I'll admit I didn't even think about the backlight but that thing is ugly as sin

Compared to the other? You're kidding.

Small detail in GS manuals is that they only guarantee part availability for 10 years post manufacture.

That is essentially two services. Only idiots put money into purchasing a vintage GS.

It's not so bad if you service your own shit and source parts from eBay.

>seiko discontinues a movement right after you buy one
>spare parts also self-immolate as soon as this happens

This is why you should research any vintage watch, from any brand, before making a purchase.

>doesn't have it's name on the front
nah

>they're called watchmakers but won't make new parts when spares run dry
wew

>Only idiots put money into purchasing a GS.
ftfy

I couldn't find a new 7S26 mainspring barrel for my 7019, only a used one. The 7S26 is being shat out by the millions, literally what the fuck?

Good deal

>Keywords to keep the chink user away:
>Taiwan Real China Kuomingtang Google Free Tibet Tenzin Gyatso Dalai Lama Twitter Facebook

It's not working because I'm not Chinese you flaming faggot

These TAGs are growing on me. I could have gotten a quartz one locally for €350

Very good image, just replace the "Archie Luxury Fan" part with "/wt/ autist" considering not all of the autists who hold those opinions like archie.

I have a fat as fuck friend who wears his Rolexes like that. He tells me he paid for the whole watch so he doesn't want to keep part of it in a draw. I think he's just too dumb to remove links.

Agreed, I absolutely love my Tag. Gets so many comments.

skx007 or skx009?

I'm afraid the black one would look boring irl, but my brother already has the blue/red one.

Send it to this guy for repair youtube.com/watch?v=DlyNICm2N9k

Tag shitter bros.

007 looks better

The black isn't too bland in person?
Never seen a 007 irl.

>plastic quartz Tag Heuer

Model number D09-5h17

The black one looks great in person if you just get a nice bracelet or something for it.

> (You)
>The black isn't too bland in person?

It's the most classic colour. Literally goes with everything.

>be watchmaker
>get a Seiko as a fun project
>send it to another watchmaker
Yeah, no, even if Bong Watch Tutorial-sama is an infinitely better watchmaker than my beginner ass.

How much was it? I just ordered one for £12.

So many watches sold for gold

>>be watchmaker
>can't get parts
>can't feed family
>die

R.I.P

its truly a sad thing

Why don't more companies try to do Spring-drive like movements? That shit is genius.

pic is not SD watch

Opinion on H. Moser and Cie?

I'm looking for a black Orient watch that would look good with both formal and very casual clothes.... And I'm someone who didn't own a watch for 20 years.

Mako, Ray, or diver?

Or maybe something like this :
i21.servimg.com/u/f21/18/66/29/28/er020010.jpg ? How do you call this kind ?

who

Was that GS at least worth more as a whole watch?

Some guy brought in a hundred year old women's watch with the case being made from paper-thin 14k gold plate to sell the gold. I subtly told him to get the fuck out and find a collector to sell the whole watch to.

Destroying watches by pawning the gold and silver is an atrocity and shouldn't be legal.

>check Cousins
>haha no fuck you
>check Ebay
>haha no fuck you
>check parts bin
>haha no fuck you

Orient Bambino, pick one from the metric shitton of dial versions and colors.

>I have a fat as fuck friend who wears his Rolexes like that. He tells me he paid for the whole watch so he doesn't want to keep part of it in a draw.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the same guy who doesn't use credit cards online because he's paranoid about people stealing his money.

There should be an exception to the no replicas rule in order to save all these beautiful original watch dials (discarded after their owners sold the cases for gold) from ebay.

These should be called aftermarket or third-party cases.

But these dials are good if you want to replace say a water damaged dial.

At least that's a valid concern.

This Tudor case and movement is Rolex and fits that size.

Would it be considered a Franken?

Yes and no.

At that point Tudor got their cases from Rolex. So technically it IS a Rolex case.

Me and my family were going trough some tough times recently and we sold a gold jlc memovox because we live in a poor country and no one was gonna pay for an uncertified swiss watch of that type.

So where should I go if I want to discuss actual watch repair? A place that doesn't have the usual forum drama/power struggle/mod powertrip horseshittery? watchrepairtalk.com, WUS, or something else?

Is it still possible to get a Milgauss """Homage""" on AliExpress?

We have a watchmaker who often visits these threads.
And a few hobbyists, so there is some discussion to be had, but nothing that can be held over time like it can be in a forum thread.

Yeah. Good amount of non knock off watches on Ali as well.

>We have a watchmaker who often visits these threads.
Yes, me. That's why I'm asking, I'm all alone, THE Watchmaker-user doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Please post link

Haven't got one for the homage, I just know I've seen some in the last few days.

Wrong.

They guarantee parts availability for 10 years after the movement type is discontinued, not after it is made. Furthermore, spare parts are not commonly used in a regular service for competently designed movements and thus the spare parts supply typically lasts for a few decades past the guaranteed period.

Vintage Grand Seikos, like any other vintage watch, require a solid understanding of the particular model being sought and it's repairability before purchase. Do not blame vintage Grand Seiko for your failure to do your own due diligence.

T. Vintage King Seiko Special owner

P.S. the Lemania 5100 is from safe, easy to get parts for ETA and why don't you try and see how easy it is to get L5100 parts these days you lying shitposting asshole

Here are the simple facts: Nomos are literally the first new company to develop the capacity to design and manufacture mechanical movements including escapements on a series production basis since the 1960s. They join Raketa, Vostok, Orient, Citizen, Seiko, ETA and Rolex as the only non haute horlogerie companies capable of this.

Developing this capability took a several year and ~12 million Euro investment in escapements and a further ~2 million Euro investment in designing the ultra-thin DUW 3001 calibre. These are enormous investments from a company with an annual sales volume of 10,000 - 20,000 units, and as a result must necessarily be reflected in increased unit prices.

In an affordable luxury watch market heavily dominated by Chinese-cased ETA-powered marketing-driven shitters, any watchmaker that makes the investments required to become a manufacture and actually increase the technical diversity of series produced mechanical movements should be applauded no matter whether you like the aesthetics of their product line. To the extent that Nomos succeeds by following this path, it may serve to encourage more investment in the technical aspects of watchmaking by other companies rather than just investing in more value engineering (i.e. cost-cutting) and more advertising.

Just in the last 10 years we have gone from a $1,000-$4,000 market where every single watch was powered by an ETA movement to one where you can now choose between ETA, Tudor, Nomos, and Seiko (8rXXs, 8LXXs). How can this development be regarded as bad for people interested in horology, regardless of whether you would personally buy any of those watches yourself? If only Miyota and Seiko would add micro-adjuster models to their ebauche offerings and Tudor would begin to use their in-house movement in more models, we could return to an era of real competition in movements in production watches not seen since the glory days of the 1970s.

Still shit for the price.

I applaud their philosophy on movements, but I think they're retarded for only making countless variations of bauhaus.

If you've seen one bauhaus watch, you've seen them all.
And bauhaus looks like shit to a lot of people to begin with.

Except that /wt/ is one of the few places that mostly shits on the marketing driven pleb catching brands that take generic ETA movements and shove them into Chinese made cases.

Also that image uses a Rolex and those are 100% made in Switzerland.

Pepsi is for goobers

Look, I don't like their watches aesthetically and would never buy one but as far as value goes they can only be measured against ETA, Rolex/Tudor (in-house only) and Grand Seiko as those are the only other companies offering high-end production watches.

In light of the massive investments Nomos had to make in their movement design and manufacturing relative to their production volumes, their was no way for them to avoid their current pricepoint.

Here you go. There's a cheapo one that's like pic related when it arrives.
s.aliexpress.com/NJzeMbii

And a more expensive Parnis one.
s.aliexpress.com/RfeURBVF

my mum wears her watches like that
it either means she's based or Adam Savage and Ronald Regan are women

Why dont you guys just get a Casio? Whats the point in jerking each other off by commenting on inaccurate, expensive mechanicals? I adjust my digital quartz shitter once a year to greenwichmeantime dot com and have a multifunctional watch with alarms, a stopwatch and a timer.
>inb4 b8
>inb4 normie reeeeee
>inb4 muh heritage and engineering

Piaget does one.

Shit company. Some of their watches are good.