Windows will prevent you from taking a screenshot if you have a DRM-enabled document open, even if minimized

Windows will prevent you from taking a screenshot if you have a DRM-enabled document open, even if minimized.

Other urls found in this thread:

pocketjacksblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/blogging-in-key-of-nerd-windows.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I doubt it stops third party software though

Stop trying to subvert privacy, retard

It is the same if you try and copy and paste from a document that could potentially contain sensitive information.

And you forgot to mention that this only happens if you run a 3rd party program. Win10 has a similar feature but it is nowhere near the maturity of other offerings.

>snip

>DRM = privacy

>Post a bug
>Call it LOL LE BOTNET XD
>Tools will respond without taking 3 seconds to google it.

pocketjacksblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/blogging-in-key-of-nerd-windows.html

how can you copyright an image? why wouldn't I just use print screen and edit the screenshot in paint?

This happened when I had a BlackBerry Workspaces document open; a DRM-ebook. When I closed it it worked. It was a PDF.

Maybe open the document in some free, third party software like Sumatra PDF, and then take a screenshot?

How did you screenshot that error message then?

upload it to dropbox or somewhere public and link it

I can try. Opening it in Abloatee Reader has me login.

I left the error window open and closed the document.

>not taking a picture of your screen with a camera

They put my real name email in it as a watermark.

Nice try. Next time close outlook or don't install LC Rights Management.

This is literally nothing to write home about, but nice try kiddo.

I don't have either of those things installed.

oh god 2001 is coming back

Yes, you do. The fact you said you had to login to open it proves it.

Fuck off you tool

I never said LC Rights Management or Outlook though.

>run in virtual machine
>take screenshot from host OS
Where is your god now?

windows has always been a joke OS. it was a blatant rip off of system and they tried to get ahead of themselves by making windows NT to distinguish themselves. turned out they rushed the kernel and its always remained utter shit since then.

the only reason why windows is still around is because of its huge legacy and popularity during the explosion of computing. its never been a better time to leave this POS and let it die, it never deserved to even take fruit

You said you had to log in, which actually means outlook was not involved, but proves that LC RM is.

The FACT remains, this isn't windows doing anything, it is 100% adobe readers enforcement.

Pick up a fucking book.

>yfw Valve gets sick of Microsoft's shit and requires all new games on Steam to have a Linux port
Instant death for Windows

Never said I was using that.

Yes, you did. When you try and make this thread again in a couple days make sure to omit the stuff that can be literally searched in seconds to get a real answer.

There's literally no Adobe Software installed on this PC. You're full of shit bitch.

see now it makes complete sense. you said it requires a login but you have no adobe reader installed, and then it turns out you are using some weird ass viewer program that is literally designed to keep you from sharing panos documents.

how again is this windows 7 drm?

i guess its good i run palo 7k's at work so i just download the documents directly from them and work on the real thing.

Wait that's in fucking W7?!? How are you still screenshotting it? This is why I use Sharex

>Packet tracer
user, unless your instructor is forcing you to use it for assignments, uninstall it for GNS3 ASAP.
If you need it for assignments, use it for just the assignments and do everything else on GNS3

>you said it requires a login but you have no adobe reader installed
Yeah, I originally had Adobe Installed, but removed it when I needed to use WatchDox.

>how again is this windows 7 drm?
Because Windows 7 comes with the Windows snipping tool.

>i guess its good i run palo 7k's at work so i just download the documents directly from them and work on the real thing
This is a school book, though I'm sure the PAN-OS docs have no DRM.

I took the screenshot from VirtualBox itself.

it's a vm you fucking retard, how else do you think he took a picture of the error in the first place?

Third party, idk. Piss off you stupid nigger

The instructor probably won't use that though, so they can't verify the assignment. We have some actual equipment, so I use that too for some assignments.

Yes, and yet it is the blackberry viewer program which is disabling the feature.

Stay in school.

print screen, its a button on your keyboard you fucking mongoloid

packet tracer and gns3 are both useful tools

Don't you see the fucking virtualbox guest additions installed? Fuck you are dumb.

If snipping is disabled, print screen goes with it. 3rd party tools will usually circumvent it though.

what if windows is being emulated?

Yeah, but that's still Microsoft complying.

>webcam detects a camera in front of screen and turns off display >:^)

It's called a fucking api you dingus, nice try though. I've already sent an email my account rep regarding this attempt to distribute course material, shouldn't be hard to narrow down the possible users.

Death of Steam more like it.

this would only prevent normies and middle aged people from taking a screenshot and most of those dumb fucks use a camera anyways.

also what about just using 3rd party screen capping tools (which i do anyways)?

>having a webcam on a desktop computer

neck yourself. you are everything wrong with modern computing

Yeah, as if that's actually what happened. It's pretty obvious you're just butthurt over getting your ass destroyed on an online argument.

just unload the dll from svchost

OP here. No idea. I didn't try to use any 3rd party tools because I was taking screenshots for an online lab, but had the document open.

How so? The op tried to make it sound like windows was detecting drm and automatically preventing you from screen capping it.

In reality, he is using a vm supplied by palo alto which has a piece of software designed to prevent screen captures, which makes no sense because there are tons of ways to circumvent it.

But idiots like you will see the headline and try to fit in without forming a real thought

>It is the same if you try and copy and paste from a document that could potentially contain sensitive information.

>DRM on a document
>Prevent spread of information

It's as if cameras were never invented in the 19th century or that nearly every phone has a camera.

>In reality, he is using a vm supplied by palo alto which has a piece of software designed to prevent screen captures,

No dipshit, I installed Windows 7 myself, it's not supplied by Palo Alto. I had the document open, tried to screenshot Chrome, and it did it.

>But idiots like you will see the headline and try to fit in without forming a real thought
What headline?

And the blackberry viewer is the program you chose? I think you've got a lot more to learn besides setting up decryption and policy based forwarding rules

How did you take a screenshot of that error if you couldn't take screenshots?
Check mate, OP.

It's the program the book uses. It's the only way to view it. You really don't know anything about this. You really should just stop talking and making yourself look like a tard.

>Pic related, book not visible on screen, but still blocking if open.

I've seen windows do this with Rapport and other financing related applications, I always assumed it was a data protection and antivirus feature not something to enforce DRM

>implying you can't just take a picture of your screen

Are they fucking retarded?

>whip out cellular device
>problem solved
checkmate, microsoft.

There's no realistic alternative to Steam

You could, you know, not be a child playing computer games, maybe? That's a distinct and quite realistic alternative, I assure you.

What the hell does me playing games have to do with anything? I was arguing that Valve requiring Linux ports for new Steam games wouldn't significantly affect their market share.

>It's the program the book uses
File extension? .exe?

GoG and Humble are great

>being this retarded

>there is only one good platform
>stop using products
What the fuck man, should I give up on milk because there is only one shop around?

GOG mostly has old games and Humble just gives you Steam keys.

Yeah that's why SteamOS killed Windows, right?

I thought Window$ took off because Bill Gates gave free copies to gradeschools, to mindwipe us little suckers into not wanting to have to learn two separate operating systems, whilst simultaneously getting a huge tax break for the copies that cost him nothing?

Just think of how much faster those games would be... I'd start playing again.

Ya cause alternatives like origin battlenet and uplay don't exist. Ya there shitty but there alternatives and more can be made. You don't understand how much money goes into a port

The blocking screenshots because of DRM is a functionality built in into a Windows Snipping Tool, which means it is a part of Windows 7. The statement OP made in his first post is correct.

>Just think of how much faster those games would be
No noticeably faster? It's still your processor running the code.

>DRM-enabled document

What the fuck

And windows doesn't have any background processes that run on that processor then?

Nothing that would produce a noticeable decrease in game performance (at least on Windows 7). Same as with Linux.

I understand that, just don't understand how one could say "give up on games" as an argument against "no steam alternative".

>meet girl online.
>lets get on webcam
>don't have one
>go out to buy one that afternoon
>install the cunt, and Skype her.
>speak for 1 minute and she ends the call.
>she never replies since
>throw out webcam.

Webcams suck.

Not Windows' fault it allows software to set up API hooks and possibly hook global key presses - whichever this shit program uses

>snipping tool
You knw you have a key on your keyboard called Prt Sc (Print screen)?

fucking jews

>snipping tool

why not just use lightshot or you know that prt sc key on your keyboard?

Kek

wtf is a drm document?
you reading capeshit PDFs or something?

Not Windows doing it, it's the software blocking teh function. Was it Adobe Reader? Because their software is full of copyright and legal-protection stuff.

Find a perfect, high resolution picture of a US, AU, CAD, Euro, Pound, etc. that has clearly visible Omron rings and save it then try and open it in Photoshop. It gives an error to prevent counterfeiting. It will often not even show it in the folder you saved it to when looking to open it.

Although this feature is really finicky and only works a very small portion of the time. It took me a ton of tries to get the error just now for this picture.

Post the image.

>Asking for a friend.

Shh.

On another note is trying to make the point the Windows supports this type of behaviour and finds it OK to accommodate for companies and FCK over their users.

Just shows what else they might be thinking of with windows 10. Their are workarounds indeed. But once again DRM makes it harder for regular users and does not actually stop piracy.

It's like those sites with a JS plugin. "You're not allowed to copy this text" It's fucking retarded.

That's not a Windows 10 dialog box. It's the program preventing it.

I'm pretty sure that's specific to bb workspaces.

So have you tried using the printscreen and not the shitting tool?

lol inb4 v& & 404

is my phone going to explode if I try and take a picture of DRM protected content?

>Even older CuckShop does this.
I wonder how far back this goes.

>i can finally DRM my rare pepes

what a time to be alive

Said and done. :3c

>strange looking error that does not fit to rest of your windows styling
>minimize VM
>still there

You need a program to read PDFs user.