Previous thread: >>59982478 (Cross-thread)

Previous thread: (Cross-thread)

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221
imgur.com/a/fJHez
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/petition-kde-plasma-ubuntu-desktop
archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base/
static.fsf.org/nosvn/RMS_Intro_to_FS_TEDx_Slideshow.odp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>(Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)

Are proprietary fonts /fglt/ approved, or do they hurt my freedom somehow? What does rms say?

>proprietary font
Enjoy your cache exploits

first for free software

tfw your fonts are backdoored by the NSA

You don't need proprietary fonts desu.

github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221

just liberation

So this...is the power of GNU/Linux... wow...

>laptop has 2 internal drives
>format seondary oen to ext4
>try to copy some files across
>don't have permission to

what did they mean by this?

Please tell me what voodoo ritual I need to perform for mpv to display the correct fonts. I tried copying all my fonts from Windows onto Linux, I tried installing VLC (does the same thing) and I tried reinstalling mpv three times. The only things I haven't done are compile it (I don't know how to) or get it from the AUR (see previous). What should I do?

Has anyone got the WWE Network to play in Firefox or Chromium when using Ubuntu? I have updated to the newest version of flash and it will play the intro video that plays before everything, but hangs with the spinning loading icon when it tries to play the actual broadcast. I have also tried changing the user agent to Firefox on Windows, but it does not do anything different.

Add:
sub-ass-force-style='FontName=,Kerning=yes'
sub-ass-force-style=Kerning=yes

you need to give your user write permission to the folder

What if I don't know the font name and it just werks in Windows so I have no idea what to even check since there are no other issues than the subtitle font?

Then thats a YOU issue and not an mpv issue.

What can I do?

Find the name of the font you like and add it to your config

I just tried installing Google Chrome and it didn't work either.

(you)

The thing is, these files usually display the font they're packaged with even on a base mpc-hc install. Finding out the font and then installing them on a per-file basis isn't really viable.

Thats why you find a font you like and make it the default font for all subtitles.

Why should I have to do that when certain files already have their specific fansub fonts set? I'm just not understanding why this is possible on Windows but not on Linux.

Jesus fuck.dont fucking do it then dont use it, god damn insufferable faggot

Is my Manjaro .iso corrupted?

This is how I'm greeted when I boot

imgur.com/a/fJHez

>Manjaro XFCE 17.0.1
>Torrent download

Tell them to upgrade to an html5 player. Flash is for sissies

friendly reminder that dmenu has been deprecated by rofi

What do I do if some fonts are invisible in my browser? The google search bar is invisible, every now and then some other search bars are too and so is the pastebin text box. The vast majority of other things are not though.

No.

Why are you getting angry? I'm asking a question because I don't know the answer. If you don't know, don't act like you do and then get pissy when I don't instantly figure out the solution on my own. Here's what I know:
>video-specific fonts show properly with no extra configuration or hunting down individual fonts that need to be changed out with every new file
>people on Sup Forums are able to watch .mkvs through mpv on Linux and have the correct subtitles
Logic tells us that there must BE a solution, but it's apparently the most tightly-guarded secret on Earth and no one will disclose it and explain how it's done. I guess I'll learn how to build mpv and see if that does it; if not, expect more questions.

They set their fucking font in the configuration file, you stupid retard.
There is no sekrit club or repo that has special access. They set it them selves or they use the font embedded in the media file.

That fucking simple

>They set their fucking font in the configuration file
First of all, I was being sarcastic. Secondly, no, they don't. I refuse to believe anyone manually sets the font for different shows as opposed to using the embedded font. Which brings me to my third point; how do they use the font embedded in the media file?

nice thumbnail desu

THEY DONT
THEY SET THE MOTHER FUCKING FONT AND USE ONE SINGLE INDIVIDUAL FONT FOR EVER AND EVER
The program scans the motherfucking file and reads the embedded data and in turns uses the font within it

Jesus fucking christ you're dense as fuck.

get the pepper flash package

My x220 hdd died and thankfully I'm all backed up.

How viable is SDXC as main drive for a distro install? I'll be using f2fs if that helps

hey pal lets all work together to put the "friendly" back in Friendly GNU/Linux Thread, mmkay? :)

you alright user?

Yes.

>Is my Manjaro .iso corrupted?
>This is how I'm greeted when I boot
No that's normal. Select the driver you want to use and select either of the ones that start with 'from' to boot into the live environment.

You should always check the sum of an iso before using it btw. You'll know if it was corrupted or otherwise fucked with if the sums don't match.

Does mpv not set a default font, then? If it actually reads the font within the container it must not be configured to do that out of the box, because that's not what's happening for me. And I may be dense, but I'm learning.

> Akarin-posting

You clearly aren't.

Is Redshift a botnet?

Is there any potential security risk introduced by using it?

Thanks dude.

If you don't want your processes to "waste" that much RAM, just remove RAM from your computer.

If it's Firefox, use a proper GTK theme.

I think I'm going to try copying a config file over just to see what it does.

I'm using blackmate though, which says it's gtk2/3

If you follow the books to the T - none of it is really difficult, but the moment you want to customize your install or introduce some kind of package management so that updating the system is less autistic it obviously gets progressively more and more difficult.
On that note, for example, I had almost no problems building LFS with Crux's pkgutils (ripping off pkgfiles from Crux repo and combining with configuration options from the books where there are discrepancies) but any time I try to get a hardened LFS going (from combining instructions from the abandoned HLFS book, modern LFS book, wiki pages of Hardened Gentoo project that describe their toolchain and information from the actual ebuild files they utilize to build the toolchain) I always fail really hard with compile errors/stuff not working as expected.

this has to be bait
it's free software, and uncomplicated enough that a retard gorilla nigger like you could understand it, and audit the code for any """""botnets"""""

I've never used LVM, LUKS or anything like that (or even GPT). I've always just installed my bootloader to the mbr. I just got a new laptop with uefi. Should I use lvm or any of this stuff?

>LFS
Should be called GLFS.

No. Maybe encrypt your home folder or there will be nothing stopping someone from looking at it.

>no subject
this makes me angery

angerey*

lmao, people fighting for thumbnails

>A new petition is calling for Canonical to make KDE Plasma Ubuntu’s next desktop.

>“Moreover, the KDE community seems like a community more open to symbiotic collaboration than the GNOME community,” the petition adds.

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/petition-kde-plasma-ubuntu-desktop

good, gnome is total cancer. bloated, laggy and dependent on systemd for no reason.

KDE is the most "Windows like" DE so that's probably why.

Kind of tired of Manjaro, there's too many packages I have no idea about that are on it and it doesn't feel comfy.
I want to start fresh, but will I be considered a newfag if I use a prebuilt installer, like arch-anywhere? I've installed arch manually only using the wiki plenty of times, but don't know if it's worth the effort. Thoughts?

for some reason archfags get asshurt when you use an installer, but arch anywhere is fine. Its finished install is exactly the same as arch, unless you pick some extra packages during install.
If you want comfort and true minimalism, pick Void instead of Arch.

>le Void meme

Judging by its name it most likely is a shitty theme which hasn't been updated for the recent GTK update or it does funky shit with the already weird Firefox GTK experience. Switch to Adwaita and see if it works. If it does, it's your theme's fault.

>bloated
Yes, how dare they add features which you don't need. They should only add features that you need.

>for no reason
It's easier for them, but you wouldn't know that since you're an entitled leech who complains about other people's work.

You don't need an installer, just a cup of coffee and the wiki. That said, just stick to Manjaro.
>there's too many packages I have no idea about that are on it and it doesn't feel comfy.
You could, you know, learn what they do and figure out why they are there.

Is there a webm like that for GNU/BLFS ?

Software cannot be comfy retards, kill yourselves.

Using shitty abstraction layers like the Arch Anywhere installer is the same shit as Manjaro. If you actually "needed" Arch or any other operating system, you'd be able to use it how it's meant to be used.

>too many packages I have no idea about that are on it
I suggest you go through this list so you can totally find out why they are on there:
archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base/
According to your own words, doing anything else will make you machine not comfy. But since you're a hypocrite and you will use Arch Anywhere, you'll end up with the same "problem.

>arch anywhere is fine. Its finished install is exactly the same as arch
Then why do you use it? It is not the same.
It cannot cover any potential installation scenario. If you have a simple need, then it's utterly retarded to use an abstraction layer for the 10 lines you have to write.

You would have to be an idiot to use that video clip as instructions to install Arch.

No need to get so upset, Pajeet

Nice counter argument. Unfortunately your retardation is too big to hide between terrible memes and buzzwords.

arch is a stepping stone

Idiot here, watching videos of Arch being installed helped me understand what to do but it didn't work out until I read the wiki, and then the install took 20 minutes with no problems.

>1.58 MB
>1280x720
>ass quality
dude

the generator spit that out
saved

What's wrong wich Arch? Isn't Arch Sup Forumss preferred distro anymore?

arch is the preferred distro of reddit
Sup Forums has always been gentoomen

It is, but we pretend to hate it

t. reddit
"install gentoo" is a meme, meaning "lurk moar" and delete system32. then reddit came along and took the meme seriously.

Nothing is wrong with it. Actually, there's nothing wrong with any distro out there. It's all opinion and preference based, but because Sup Forums will argue about literally anything, it's a topic you'll see often where faggots will yell at their screens why their setup is better than the others.

install gentoo

triangles, hands down. That solid base + cutting edge at the top. Anybody who says otherwise is a retard

>there's nothing wrong with any distro out there
except when they shill proprietary software, come with spyware or are broken ootb

Do you know if it's possible in LibreOffice Calc to dump all the content from a txt file (line by line) to a specific column inside a calc document?

Void is the best distro. Name another distro that doesn't have systemd or sysvinit, has binary packages, uses libreSSL and offers musl (which is basically a meme for anything other than embedded desu).

OpenBSD

Is there a way to open this file static.fsf.org/nosvn/RMS_Intro_to_FS_TEDx_Slideshow.odp without installing a full blown office suit?

Everyone here still uses it, because they're too dumb to comprehend the greatness of Gentoo, Slackware and Void, the only good distros.

why are you acting like systemd is bad?

Never mind, it was easy: select file content and ctrl+c then select the column's lines and ctrl+v.

Probably because it is.

just unzip it

It's free software licensed under the GPL.

Tried 7z, no luck.

>unzip
why don't you try fucking unzip

hating systemd is a meme
only noobs who don't know how shit works hate on it, they do it in order to look techy on the internet

what's wrong with it?
>systemd is bloated and definitely not "simple"
>AUR is full of shit, unusable packages
>maintainers are incompetent, lazy idiots who only care about simplifying and minimising their own work, not the distro. They couldn't care less about the users or their opinions.
>some package maintainers literally just push packages with 0 testing
>it somehow still doesn't have gnome 3.24
>its userbase are quite possibly the stupidest and least friendly of any distro, yet they smugly think they're superior to other distros' for having completed a simple installation
>no logical policy on non free packages or easy way to blacklist them like on Void, Gentoo and all the freetard distros

sorry, probably still ambiguous: the program named "unzip", it works and I just tested it to confirm.