Just got a server rack from a friend, like the one in this pic. what are some things that I can do with it?

Just got a server rack from a friend, like the one in this pic. what are some things that I can do with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5yNzkMqBToc&feature=youtu.be&t=4m33s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you reinforce the front, you could probably lock someone in there against their will for a while.

Build a cluster out of cheap used dual socket xeons, you can get them for like $30

I'm american so most people would be to wide to fit :(

what could you do with that cluster?

run h@h

Sell it, dude.

Computers are so powerful today that almost nobody needs a home server for anything. And certainly not more than one server -- most people would struggle to find stuff to do with 32GB of ram and a few TB of disk space.

Server racks belong in data centres, not in your home.

Shove it up your fucking ass. Then start a giant cp seedbox while it's up there, kek

>cheap used dual socket xeons, you can get them for like $30
>50$/mo in electricity
"""cheap"""

Leave Sup Forums until you realize this board is not for most people.

Put servers in it. Run a few for various online games and use the rest for your neighborhood's sneakernet hub

come on

start a webhosting company

Get some cheap 24-bay 4U chassis, fill it up with HDDs and hoard data.

Go to that site with the used government stuff. There's usually a schoolboard or something selling off all their old equipment for dirt cheap - you'll be able to fill this up with ~7ish year old equipment in no time.

>cheap 24-bay 4U chassis
>still need a motherboard and probably 90 PCI-SATA cards
Wew.

Thats a dank ass coffin!

Get someone to lock you inside of it and and then get other guys to jack off and cum on the screen while you watch

Fill it up cheap ebay servers and use the hot air to heat your house.

Bonus points if power is cheap or you dont pay for it.

pretty much this. a friend bought a rack of used xeons for fun. it's loud, power-hungry and doesn't do anything a decently powerful desktop PC can't do.

>SATA
It comes with a backplane, you'd just need to pick up a cheap SAS expander from ebay.

It also fits ATX power supplies so no need to bother with deafening server PSUs.

5 SAS connections then?

Yeah, that should work, the most recommended HP expander has 6 iirc.

Although to be fair, I'm currently in the middle of researching this stuff. Planning on a build like this so I can have an easily expandable NAS. Seems like a way cleaner solution than just shoving disks into multiple towers, even if a bit more expensive.

well i assume that you have something to put in it? if so, do that. if not, why did you get a rack?
b8/8

>HP expander
Does that allow you to pass the disks through? I think it's called HBA or something, it's recommended for ZFS since it gives direct access to the drives.

It plugs into the HBA card or a RAID controller. The expander itself is completely transparent to the OS or the motherboard.

Though a HBA card is a better choice for ZFS, since I've read that some RAID cards are wonky with direct access even in JBOD mode.

just buy 3x ibm m1015

Thats a big chassis...

UUUU

4U

grow weed in it

send your electric bill into the stratosphere.
blow out your eardrums with the noise.

youtube.com/watch?v=5yNzkMqBToc&feature=youtu.be&t=4m33s