I just purchased one of these, did I fall for the meme or can I actually do something useful or interesting with this?

I just purchased one of these, did I fall for the meme or can I actually do something useful or interesting with this?

Sdr thread

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Software-defined_radio
youtu.be/ARrlhlQiFzM?t=261
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i'd use it to set up a police/fire scanner. i want to get one, but the good ones are kind of expensive and it would become a huge time hog for me

I got one but my city seems to be pretty boring and I believe emergency services here now use digital radio.

I'm told its worth getting a better antenna than the one that comes stock.

What is it? Some sort of antenna or something?

This was sub 10$

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Software-defined_radio

>More expensive SDR's are purpose built for transmitting, and can handle things such as GSM spoofing, where an unencrypted GSM tower can be simulated to capture SMS in a cleartext fashion.
What is this useful for?

can confirm

My purpose built open source sdr can't transmit and receive at the same time.
They aren't all for spoofing

Yea. Just curious to know what the spoofing is good for.

Testing firewall and IDS

I guess to eavesdrop on unencrypted sms and calls.

Thanks.

As far as I know all sms and calls are unencrypted.
Could come in handy if it can do that but you can't really decide who you get connected to.

>As far as I know all sms and calls are unencrypted.
Quite the opposite. Easy to decrypt though with modern consumer-grade hardware

Can we tap a ding dong dong with this?
Or is there anyway which we can easily wiretap

Ah okay, I see. Might come in handy desu.

I have same thing, user, I use it to find frequencies for those keyless entries on cars. That is all the antenna does, just receives doesn't transmit.

Wait, don't you still need an encryption key to unlock the car, or is that just for remote starting?

im just viewing the frequency not trying to unlock a car, I don't have many friends that have newer cars so I haven't had a chance to try it,

Even if its encrypted Im sure it will still show the frequency, been seeing a lot of fob being 315/433 mhz.

Sammy kamkar is my favorite applied hacker, and I am not sure if this method still works on newer cars, but interesting watch.

youtu.be/ARrlhlQiFzM?t=261

Here in Europe almost everything is encrypted so no point getting one.

>Marketplace

My wife hates that show. Probably because it shows her what a stupid consumer she is.

They got a little edgier as of late, but still, the core research is good.

>When they catch the vent cleaner guys who don't do shit.
>When they explain how come no one goes after Indian telemarketers
>When they explain how that real retarded alternative to vaccines where you drink severely diluted germs is retarded

Bought one in France.
Absolutely useless, can't find any station. Had mor fun with my baofeng uv-5R. The only interest is to actually use it as a TV DvB-T reciever. If you like SDR, just use a websdr from russia, comfy as hell and you can pretend you are in an old james bond movie