/spg/ - Smartphone General - JUST Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy S8 review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-review-1603.php

Huawei P10 review
gsmarena.com/huawei_p10-review-1588.php

Sony Xperia X Performance currently going for $367 in US
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_x_performance_currently_going_for_under_370_in_us-news-24653.php

Alleged Honor 9 makes a second appearance with another paint job
gsmarena.com/alleged_honor_9_makes_a_second_appearance_with_another_paint_job-news-24648.php

HTC U to have Bluetooth 5.0
gsmarena.com/htc_u_to_have_bluetooth_50-news-24632.php

Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) launch is imminent, as the phone gets FCC's approval
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-J5-2017-launch-is-imminent-as-the-phone-gets-FCCs-approval_id93297

Galaxy S8 vs. iPhone 7 Camera Shootout: Samsung Has the Edge
tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8-vs-iphone-7-camera,review-4337.html

Flossy Carter - Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ Unboxin'
youtu.be/37FCuzpynA8

Galaxy S8 Unboxing: My New Daily Driver? (Erica Griffin)
youtube.com/watch?v=xvFvOGH__kk

old

S4 mini going stronk!

Is there any risk in buying a Oneplus 3t or is it a legit android smartphone?

No risk besides putting up with no SD slot, subpar screen, camera bump and mediocre camera, it's future proof and pretty cheap for what it offers.

Yeah the whole no SD slot and no changeable battery that most manufacturers do nowadays gets on my nerves but don't they all do that? Camera bump, not so much.

In what way is the screen subpar?

>In what way is the screen subpar?

Shit visibility in sunlight, even at the lowest brightness it's still way too bright to use comfortably at night unless you use that ambient/night light shit, yellowish pentile screen wasn't fixed, it still uses the same shitty panel as the OP3, still it's a damn good phone though, for 400 dollars you're getting something that will last you 5 years while samcucks and applefags have to put up with a measly 4GB of ram, bloat and botnet up the ass and replacing their expensive baby toys every year.

Eh that's not too shabby. I'm not discouraged by the drawbacks so far. Thanks for the help guys,

S8+ came in dah mail today

oiajwefoijawefoiajwef

How is tempered glass supposed to protect my screen?

Opinions on these new non-16:9 screens?

It breaks instead of your screen breaking

the process of your sacrificial tempered glass breaking dissipates the energy of the fall into the tempered glass causing it to shatter, this energy isn't as easily passed onto the glass of the phone itself and what does get passed on is marginal compared to the energy form the original impact.

It's one-use body armor for your phone

2:1 ratio is good for split screen apps

This only will protect the exterior glass and not the internal screen right?

got my S8 and it's GR8
I used a hacked spotify APK for free premium on my G4, and I tried to get the newest on the S8
dev mode, ability to install non google play apps
When I try to install, it says there is no app to do anything with the apk file.
Do I just have to wait for the latest hacked APK that is made with the S8 in mind?

extract apk from old phone and use that one.

shit, i already wiped the old phone

For the price it's fucking great. Fastest Android so far in terms of smoothness

Just got my S8. Front camera has fixed focus so returning it but battery life is shit. I haven't even used it much but it the drop isnot

Mi6 or OPT3

How do I remove this app? Titantium back up will not work... It still works even though it says it's uninstalled on titanium backup.

What's with all the bitter chink phone fags in the last thread?
Fact is they're shitty phones, you think you're getting a deal with great specs but they're built like trash with shit hardware as far as quality of the component. Nothing wrong if it's what you can afford but stop pretending you're a smart consumer for buying flea market tier phones

They are actually really good. Been using mine for around a year and have no cracks, but I have scuff marks on the back. I have never put a screen protector or case on it.
Stop talking out of your ass and thinking you're getting better specs just because it has a bigger price tag.

Why do people do this

>$1
>5000+ downloads
what the fuck is wrong with people

>a year
t. Delusional poorfag
It's okay to be poo

For the same reason autists in the homescreen general fap over their poorly designed minimalist homescreens

is there a smartphone buying guide?

If you live in North America OP3T is the better choice since it will get LTE. If the Mi6 supports your LTE frequencies it might be better, but MIUI is full of bloat so take that into consideration.

My carrier currently has the S8 for $650.
What gives?

needs an update but w/e

Thinking about an HTC 10. Opinions?

I'll have to flash the RUU to get it working on Verizon's antennas, but it's CDMA-compatible.

forgot to mention, it's selling for $500 currently so I'm wanting to

I could probably sell my Moto X for about 200 bucks so it'd only be about $300 after final sale.

does Sup Forums approve of the Xperia X Compact?

I'm trying to look into smallish phones. I've had nothing but pretty mammoth phones over the past few years (Oneplus One, Nextbit Robin) and something around 4.5-5" sounds nice

Worth gettin a p10 plus?

Install cyanoogen/lineageOS rom with opengapps pico

Mo other way.

Bought one on release. It's probably the most well-rounded smartphone I've owned. The camera's nice but not as good as Samsung, battery life is good, screen is nice, and the stock skin isn't nearly as bloated as TouchJizz. I like it better than the Galaxy S6 I had before it.

I'm on T-Mobile though, so I can't say anything about how it works on CDMA.

the z3 compact seemed to hit all the right buttons for me

shame it's not made anymore, IMO it's better than any current phones except for processing power and its camera

Nobody makes phones to last more than 1-2 years anymore - hence the shit build quality and small batteries

The bixby button hasn't been a real issue for me but I still don't understand why it needed to be a thing.

>VR will be shipped in 6-8 weeks

because Samsung needs to replicate all the apps and features that Google has already baked into Android

enjoy the shit software and inevitable slowdown after 6 months, Samsung can't code

actually i've been able to uninstall a ton of bloat
that may change, but it's kind of nice

I don't do anything intensive enough to really notice bloat. I just wanted something with a nice large screen and a top tier camera

the unlocked variant is literally exactly the same as verizon down to the FCC code. All you have to do is activate the bands.

Is there anyway I can do it without losing all my crap and having to redownload everything again.

Also
>currymod
Any other options?
I removed all Gapps except that dumb google app. Even google play services. Is there a point?

Oh shit it gives me the option to still and screenshot, this is dope

Of course I forgit image

oooh shit it's getting lit

>tfw you realize that you can screenshots an entire thread by continuously extending the screenshot

Feels useful.

Will the Nokia 3 have the same build quality than Nokia 6?

Also made of thick aluminium?

I've been using one since december

the screen is mediocre but other than that it's perfectly capable, i do sometimes have problems with wifi when i definitely shouldn't though, which is annoying.

I had it down to this and the V20 and the HTC 10 won out in the end

what's wrong with the screen?

Also are you using 2.4ghz or 5ghz? How loud are the speakers?

Looking to get a new phone with no particular price range. I guess I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Previously had an LG G4 before it randomly died on me and I've been using an old iPhone 4S since then (and I hate it).

I'll only use my phone for games, maybe watching youtube/videos in general, browsing the internet, etc.

Current network is AT&T.

I know practically nothing about current smartphones. Any suggestions?

I have a Moto G1 with a broken display, touch is fucked too.
Glass is fine tho.

Also its stuck in bootloop, i see a new screen would be $20, so i would like to repair it myself, how hard will it be?
Specially the bootloop part.

what kind of games are you playing? 3D rendered, emulations, 2D platformers, etc?

Most phones will be able to emulate fine but battery has gotten much worse over the years.

s8 if you want to go balls to the wall all features
if you want shit loads of battery, moto z play with battery moto mod
pixel unlocked from google if you want stock android
lg g6 if you still like lg and want 18:9 but no edges

>tfw capped this entire thread on S8's screenshot shit and the dimensions are too big for Sup Forums

Pretty sexy phone

Usually shitty jap waifu games or "simple" games, nothing really 3D or with open environments. Mostly just games to pass time or fiddle around with, but nothing competitive like shooters or super action games.

what makes it worth $720 baseline?

I need a new phone but fuck me 700 goddamn dollars is a ridiculous price.

likely just about any phone will be able to do that. What features are you looking for? How long do you want to keep this phone for? What's your budget?

And do you give a shit about stock android?

Is there any word on when the mi6 will start shipping on aliexpress / gb? Also how much markup will it be?

i dont know senpai
i don't pay any other superlative monthly costs
my phone is the device i use the most besides my rig
I have no problem paying 20 a month for it
(sprint loyalty subtracts 10 a month)

Sure, but what does that phone do that others don't?

I know the camera is great, but I already have a DSLR if I want great-looking photos or video. Basically everything comes with a fingerprint scanner and whatnot these days.

overall it's high end
i personally love the screen and the slickness of the design
it's fast as shit, great storage
to be honest you seem to already have your mind set, so spring for something cheaper

I'm not sure what "stock Android" really means because I've only ever owned one Android phone, that being the LG G4, but I'd like the least amount of bloatware as possible and of course, the least spying.

I'd really like a good camera for taking pictures. I'm not looking for super-professional quality but I want them to look really good. The G4 took some really nice photos but I'm not sure what the exact quality was on them.

I'd like to keep the phone for some time without it breaking on me soon or becoming irrelevant. Because of this I think that I'd be willing to go for something a bit more expensive as long as it functions great.

Oh, to add onto this, I really don't care for the "edge" design on phones, where the screen curves around the sides or whatever. It looks ridiculous and doesn't seem functional at all. I also don't care if there's a fingerprint scanner or not, because frankly I really don't trust those things anyway and I probably wouldn't use it.

I'm happy with the S8+

Loving the taller aspect ratios android is rolling into.

I set the bottom bar to black, but when the keyboard is out it turns back to white.
Do you have the same problem? What am I missing?

OP3T maybe?

>don't care for the "edge"
S8/+ are two of the best looking phones out there. That's because you're a pleb.

Do you have a price-range? Also are you on a CDMA network like Verizon or Sprint?

Most phones take pretty good pictures these days, the standout being the Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone, and Google Pixel. That being said, most phones take pretty good photos all things considered.

If you care about longetivity (more than 2 years) I would avoid Apple, Samsung, or LG. Samsung is notorious for hardware slowing down after a few months and Apple's mandatory iOS updates bogs the phone down with features it doesn't need which is part of its planned obsolescence. LG has QC issues overall. HTC, Google, and a handful of chinese manufacturer's do a great job with longetivity with software updates varying from company to company.

tfw heard a surprised "it's long" from 4 different people today

not him but I don't give a shit about the S8 screen either. I'm not in ideal conditions 90% of the time so a beautiful screen will just be a waste for me. It's not like I'm color-correcting or watching films on it, so for me it just comes off as a really nice gimmick.

I like the edge, but I agree with the scanner. I'm not planning to use that at all. I'm just too used to putting in passwords.

It doesn't even look that great, it looks strange and seems like I'd accidentally touch the side of my screen and mess with shit all the time. I'd prefer something rectangular that feels solid and well-built.

I'm on AT&T. I'm also If the only good manufacturers are google and the Chinese, that's pretty fucked privacy-wise, though I've never even seen an HTC phone I don't think.

>I'd accidentally touch the side of my screen and mess with shit all the time.

That was a worry of mine, but it's surprisingly easy to not actually touch the edges with your palms.

Been ultra comfy for me personally, screen is nice inside and out and I've been using it while lounging after coming home instead of sitting at my desktop since I've gotten it.

Haven't had a problem with the edges. The only thing I don't really like is the bixby button and that's just because it's useless for me, it doesn't get in the way.

>privacy
>Android
Retard.
Just get an iPhone.

checked

I hate iPhones, I would vastly prefer an Android phone. Why are you implying that Android phones aren't as private?

well, regardless, not interested. It's got too many features I will never use and safety shit like waterproofing that will never be relevant to me. Probably will pick up an HTC 10 since it's on sale for 500 bux.

>If the only good manufacturers are google and the Chinese, that's pretty fucked privacy-wise
if you care about privacy get a pre-paid flip phone. You are being tracked through the internet no matter what you do.

>AT&T
good, that means you're able to use GSM phones which are the standard these days. If price is no object the OnePlus phones have been good. OnePlus3T is a good all-around package but the OP5 is supposedly just around the corner. HTC's recent stuff has been just "okay" and overpriced. Stuff like the Axon 7 are being hailed as absurdly affordable though the software support has been described as just okay, if not bad.

do you have any other requirements? It seems like you'll be happy with most any choice.

>Why are you implying that Android phones aren't as private?
do you know where you are?

I'm not, you are.
>If the only good manufacturers are Google and the Chinese, that's pretty fucked privacy-wise.

Spoiler alert retard, any android phone with Google play services, aka every phone that's not China exclusive, sends feedback and usage statistics to Google.

>I hate iPhones
Based on what? Being a fedora tipper?

Anyone?

Looks nice desu

So I rooted my android motog4, is there really no way to get google services to work?

Just get a new one, the original Moto G only costs about that much.

Not where i live.

Mine comes up as white, I'd like it to be the correct of the keyboard but it's going by some sort of app data to set the navigation bar color.

Thanks for the response, glad to see it's not just me.
I keep my Textra and keyboard BLACK so this is annoying as shit. I hope it gets updated.

OK nerds here's my deal. Currently on Sprint in the US. I HAD a Galaxy S6 that I broke. Right now I'm using my old Moto X. A week from tomorrow my contract with Sprint ends and I wanna go to Verizon.

Talk to me about using an open GSM phone on Verizon. I'm interested in owning the phone outright. I've read that by doing this, I wont have to deal with bloatware.

Recommend me a good android phone that I can use on Verizon's network. I'm interested in a small screen and I dont want a phone that has the curved screen edge like the new S8. My new phone will be in a rubber case. I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S7.

cross posting

Should I buy Moto G 3rd gens for my grand parents, Y/N?

Well shit, you're right about the first part I suppose. Never really thought about that. There's always custom roms though, right? And I dislike iPhones compared to Androids because of their lack of customizability. They're just too "plain" to be interesting.

>Talk to me about using an open GSM phone on Verizon.
unless it supports CDMA bands it's not working on Verizon, period. You might be able to use the internet in some parts of the states but calling and texts is a no go. Stuff like the OnePlus3, Sony Xperia, new HTC phones, and Axon 7 won't work on Verizon unless there is a version specifically made for them.

>I've read that by doing this, I wont have to deal with bloatware.
What you're talking about is unlocked variants of phones, and even then they may contain the company's own brand of bloatware.

>I'm interested in a small screen
you're fucked, all phones are going phablet size as of recent.

Source: I'm on my family's verizon plan and I fucking hate the limitations even though coverage is good.

mate 9 still worth getting for $800CAD?
looking for a larger screen phone