/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/zmf-atticus-sealed-over-ear-headphones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where my Fidelio X2 niggers at?

Open is to closed as
HD650 is to ????

>literally never heard of it

Pic related. Seems to be a steal for $85 and despite the nigger tier chassis the PCB, parts and soldering themselves seem to be pretty solid, I just wonder if there's a catch.

No, I can understand when some people go mad over expensive SS amps, tubes are different tho, but when people tell that you don't need amp at all they are just plain retarded. They are also retarded when they say that amp only to make things louder, there was a very noticeable difference in sound of my HD600 through amp and through just my macbook even tho my mac would go really loud volume wise. But in the end it depends on headphone, shit like HD600 really needs at least a basic amp, shit like X2 may still benefit from an amp but much, much less. DESU most of SS are overpriced and you would do good with either objective 2 or magni 2/fulla 2.

Where is midrange at :^)?

Are there any closed upgrades to the DT770 before the $400-500 price range and the Th X00?

Considering the MSR7, but that seems more like a change in sound signature than an upgrade.

SR850 soon, feeling good about this purchase.

Decided to not order the ones that had prime just to save a few bucks and put that into a microphone.

I did some research on the zalman and was going to get it but from what I heard, it was just too sensitive. Got this thing instead (x3, I only thought it was 1) for $6. Tried them out, compared them to the apple earbuds mic and it sounds clearer, would have to try them out on a skype call and ask the other side if it's louder compared to the old mic.

Not exactly headphones, but I need to get an XLR mic working with my computer. What's generally the cheapest way to do this that isn't full retard?

Steinberg UR12/Focusrite Scarlett Solo

If you bought a mic that doesn't work with your PC out of the box, haven't you gone full retard already?

SR850s are uncomfortable as fuck I hope you're planning on replacing those stock pads.

Doesn't even list the output impedance

pass

i used to use that wireless mouse it has a very uncomfortable shape
if you like vidya try g900
mx master for general use

wtf I love AKG now?!

But I was told that they were c o m f y

Are you a girl of some sort?

>g900

I got it during black friday
Great mouse, but the colored LEDs are obnoxious as fuck and the setting to turn them off doesn't survive a suspend/reboot

>not buying Audio Technica ATH-M40x and forgetting about every set of ear subwoofers worth less than 1000$
You live only one life, why spend it listening to distortion, 45 hz bass boost and decibel response graphs that look like nintendo's hardware sales

innerfidelity.com/content/zmf-atticus-sealed-over-ear-headphones

>It seems to me he's designed these latest two headphones as an experiment
>the Atticus is [...] a [...] headphone that is a bit veiled and uneven in the treble
>the bass was just more emphatic on the Atticus—the mids seem relatively unmolested
>Like the Eikon, the presence region is a bit withdrawn, but the Atticus has a much larger dip in response at 6kHz
>Atticus more lackluster
>the Atticus is a bit dead and boring
>Vocals are [...] rather more artificial and obviously reproduced with the Atticus

Not even Tyll can defend those hot, new garbage headphones anymore.

Okay /hfg/, I need some guidance:

I got an LG v20, and I'm looking for an entry-level pair of cans that would take advantage of the DAC in it.

US, budget 50-80 dollars, preferably flat audio, as any form of equalization on the damn thing drops to 48k instead of 96k, not super worried about comfort, and would prefer closed because I'd wear these in a gym/in bed.

Is there hope for me?

Pretty much all my other headphones have been IEMs(Shure 215(rip), klipsh r6i(stolen), and Dunu 2k(rip)) and have been just making do with a shitty pair of skullcandy hesh a friend gave me.

I don't know why the X2s don't get more love. I've never heard them, but they seem pretty solid going off most reviews.

Maybe the NAD Viso HP50 or Focal Spirit? I'm considering the Focal Spirit Classic right now because it's $170 on Amazon at the moment, but there seems to be build quality issues.

What are good cheap open back headphones?

/csg/ recommended me somic v2, around $50 seems like a decent price point since I'm not an audiophile. I mean, I could spend more if there's some great deal, I got some disposable income to burn. But no point if I can't appreciate it, and I got nothing but PC output to power it.

Particularly looking for something comfy for longer sessions.

hd598 is only one fiddy on amazon

SHP 9500 is a good value if you get them for $55 from newegg. Comfy stock, detachable cable, not much bass though.

Better than other cheap open backs in the price range.

Those look nice, and would match my cheapo closed back Philips headphones. Can't find them anywhere in my country, so I would have to find some place that ships to eastern EU. Are they discontinued or something?

Buy an audio interface or mixer.

Cheap secondhand interfaces and mixers are everywhere.

Don't think so, I'd just look on different Amazons.
They have the 9500S now which is the exact same thing.

>HD650 but closed
Good luck with that.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs, preferably under $110, comfortable and also slightly durable (no thin flimsy wire). In terms of sound signature I would like them bassy with audible mids and highs.(Nothing weak-sounding) Sound cancelling would also be an aspect I'd want.
The pair of IEMs I previously had were urBeats.
Thanks.

GR07 Bass Edition

I saw some ugly ass nigga with one of those AKGs that look so cute on the anime girls, had a gold trim on it.
He looked like a doofus and it made his weird facial features and shitty goatee stand out more.
Dont wear these massive things if youre ugly

Are Grado SR60s a classic meme?

HD558 ~$100
Somic V2s are shit, the cheaper 668Bs are better

Are expensive in ear headphones (not monitors) actually good? Are their wires any more durable than cheap $1-20 headphones?
$30-$50 headphones Ive seen seem like scams since sure the cable is replaceable but just the cable is $20

anime needs to be banned on /g. its disturbingly unhealthy how emotionally attached people are with these inanimate objects. they're cartoons. just because you toss headphones on some creepy anime girl you masturbate to that drawn by some fat dude doesn't make it related to headphones. doesn't matter if Sup Forums started off as a degenerate anime board, /g isn't for anime. that that nonsense to /a and all the other boards dedicated to it.

668B's/SR850 or the Superlux 681 Variants (681/681F/681B)

Is there any major difference between a Schiit Modi and the UCA202?
I'd rather get a magni 2 and the UCA202 instead of a Fulla 2 so I can use SPDIF.

modi 2 uber will give you spdif, optical and coax.

idk what dac chip uca202 uses internally, or how well it does.

okay grandpa
come on guys, lets go outside, i heard they let you play 30 minutes of WoW for free at walmart

I know that.

Would those be useable on a phone?
Any other recommendations?

Yes, they're usable on a phone. I would've also suggested Shure SE215's but they're a bit on the darker side while still bassy.

idk what to suggest, desu.

Maybe get Fulla 2 first, which is a very useful device in any event. Then you can test all you want uca202 to fulla2 line in vs fulla2's dac, uca202 to headphones without fulla2 vs fulla2, all that crap.

If it turns out the fulla2 is significantly better, you might then want to consider getting the uber stack. In any event, the fulla2 will always be handy, due to its form factor and function.

Why does Dolby Digital Plus make everything sound better? I hit the button a bunch of times and toggled it constantly and could accurate tell if it was on or off. It makes things sound more "fuller" and "fun"

What a pile of steaming shit

>user can't fathom the truth

It's called coloring. That's politically correct slang for distortion.

Anybody have any experience with Ghostek?

These seem pretty good and of all the reviews I've watched on it, the only reoccurring complaint is the blocky earpiece.

How the fuck can I get these in Canada? It only seems to be available on american amazon

>velor pads
>absorbs all the dirt and oil on your face
>putting it back on your face again
why do people do this?

uh ackshully those are digital photos not inanimate objects

Because personal hygiene isn't an issue unless you're a mouthbreathing neckbeard

prevents ears from getting sweaty
how much dirt and oil would be around your ears?

they make you sweaty just buy wearing them

what if you leave in vegas

Are these, dare I say, certified /trustyfucks/?

May wanna shove 'em into the washer, user.

I'm using an Avid Mbox Mini with a pair of Etynomic HF5's. I can hear a very subtle buzzing noise whenever I move my mouse (G303).

Is my audio interface just shitty or am I having a grounding issue? It's not too distracting but noticeable when I have no audio coming into the IEM's.

>prevents ears from getting sweaty
I dont get this meme. Also people who seat when using a mouse. How fucking fat do you have to be? Decent leather is breathable and will not make you sweat. Good polyurethane wont make you sweat either.

*who sweat

Reminder that if you have S/PDIF or mini toslink out on your source you dont need a USB EMI riddled piece of shit like the Shit Modi or ODAC, all you need is the Fiio D03K converter between your source and your amp.

Its a piece of shit and is known for doing that. Its caused by electromagnetic waves and youll have that problem until the next phase of the solar emission cycle

Once the stock issues with the m1060 are resolved it's going to be the new meme headphone, the new m50. Calling it now

It is pretty shitty. If I turn the big nob I get static galore. I have the big nob halfway and use the mixing nob as my way of adjusting volume.

Any suggestions for a better audio interface? Preferably one with a lot of plug ins because I'm sick of sharing one input for all my synthesizers.

Why does putting my phone over my "300w" preamp subwoofer make matrix noises?

well im talking about fake leather for closed backs
do audiophile headphones generally have real leather if they aren't velour?

You try not sweating when it's 80 degrees and there's no AC.

oh polyurethane nvm
anyways i haven't had good fake leather before
so i wouldn't know
also way to overuse meme
like it's funny to descibe meh headphones everyone is jacking off about but this is something people actually experience

and
>Also people who seat when using a mouse. How fucking fat do you have to be?
literally wtf are you going on about

Anyone?

Philips SHP9500 on Amazon for $75. The new M50X.

By this mean in terms of meme quality. The M40X is also in the same range.

Calling the SHP9500s M50Xs isn't exactly a compliment, user.

AKG k81dj vs ISK HP2011 vs Superlux 668B vs Beyerdynamic DTX 910?

Any opinion about the Marshall monitor?

I think the meme refers more to how they're discussed.

M50x aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but the price got jacked up and ruined the value they had. Only tried them quickly once, but the bass was way too muddy for my taste.
DT770's are a much better option in the price range for bassy closed headphones.

The fact that M40's are cheaper and better doesn't help.

The SHP's are fine, especially if you've never had open headphones before.
Super comfy, detachable cable, easy to drive, and decently neutral sound with rolled off bass and some graininess to the treble.

I've been using these for awhile now and I feel like they're going to break on me soon. Are there a pair of IEMs that have comparable or better sound signature than these below $115?

Sooo... M40x or M50x guys?

And should I buy a Certified Refurbished™?

M40, DT770 if you want to spend more.

Oppo PM-3 or DT250.

Both are brighter than HD650 but are good choices while remaining relatively neutral.

This post is just plain wrong.

They are comfy.

Mine does.

M40x.

SR850, SHP9500.

UCA202 is a pretty great DAC.

This nigga gets it.

bump

668b

668B or SR850

Hi grandpa.

here my dud

Honestly what do you expect from a headphone built in someone's garage?

The UCA202 SPDIF is an output, not an input.

Have a fucking shower, and wash the pads every once in a while.

I have JVC HAS-400 headphones and they really good but also really uncomfortable with the default pads, I just can't wear them with glasses without them killing my ears, also they get my ears really hot in summer so I can't use them.
I remember it was mentioned that they could be replaced, which ones are compatible and where can I buy them online in europe?

>Have people place them on randomly selected listeners.
I don't think randomly selecting the listening group does any good here. Better to choose people which are discriminating and trained.
>All the DTs are identical in build and feel.
Not all. But if were to stick into the Premium lineup of one selected model such as DT880, yes.
>Its the same headphone with different impedance.
Different voice coil wiring to be more precise.

This way of "blind testing" still won't give us much confidence in comparing their sounds. The procedure of changing the headphones and the time spent not listening during the changing poses a lot of issues. Headphone response changes when you adjust them on your head or put them back on different times. This is a nearly impossible variable to control. If the idea was to compare the headphones to each other, an immediate switch would be required. For now we'd be reduced to scoring the headphones individually on some scale and likely doing a lot of listening for any meaningful results. We'd also need to volume match across the frequency band by equalization. It might yield different results on different real ears.

It's not like you sweat due to physical exercise at your computer screen. Sweating is individual, can be caused by a variety of reasons and doesn't just relate into being fat or out of shape.

I think I read a post from him inviting one of the [spoiler]/r/headphones objectivists into his "workshop". Would kill for someone like Axel Grell to take up the invitation and school those pretenders.

I absolutely detest the romanticised artisanal rhetoric that started with Shinola. In this case, its a few guys without formal acoustics or transducer engineering training stuffing OEM drivers into "lovingly" lathe-turned earcups with an arbitrary amount of foam stuffed in them. This passes for premium/high-end/SOTA according to forum audiophools.

HD650 is a safe bet, yeah? No genres it shits itself in, good all around though rarely great?

>australia
>45 degrees during summer
>reguarly hits 30s even during winter
hmm I wonder why I get sweaty

HD650 sitting on my head right now and I couldn't be happier

Safest bet

HD600 is better.

good joke

DT880 Premium Black Edition is on sale on Newegg Flash for $135 until Monday. Get that shit while it lasts.

Got them a few month ago, switching from a ATH-M50, great quality and much comfier. How do you guys clean the pads tho?