Okay Sup Forums, so if I wanna learn to code, in your opinion, what is the one language I should learn immediately?

Okay Sup Forums, so if I wanna learn to code, in your opinion, what is the one language I should learn immediately?

pic was screenshotted with a blue light filter on so obviously its red

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you're starting off, learn C. Try beej's guide to C to start with.
Learn C and you can learn anything

learn Java first, it has similarities to c like languages with the appropriate hand holding for a first time language.

then move to python or c or any language you find interesting or relevant to what you like to do

If your screen filter affects file contents, I think there may be something wrong.
That said, it is kind of neat.

Python is easy to start off with

Read the Rust code of conduct first

Hindi

make sure it's Kodeā„¢ approved

javascript

Lisp

Pascal is the language which is created to teach students. It won't let you fall out of array bounds, it will teach you to respect each data type. I can recommend PascalABC.NET.
Talking about C or Java, they are good to start as well. They share same syntax, and they are languages which are widely used. C, though, doesn't have safety mechanisms, it lets you directly work with memory, and if there were no process separation mechanisms and such in modern OSes, you could fuck up many other memory segments that don't belong to your program. At best, you'd crash your system. Also, C handles strings poorly, and crackers take advantage of it, breaking up many systems. Innocent typos may look innocent, but sometimes they are just backdoors.
Never start with scripting languages (Python, Lua, Ruby, Perl, Javascript). Learn to handle basic things first.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)

Best answer. Just outsource your programming needs to pajeetistan

C#. You'll see programming clearly.

This user gets it. Seconding pascal.

What app are you using for that blue light filter?

C is minimal, clear, and lets you experiment a lot. Even if you'll run into memory errors, segmentation faults, and such, they will be useful to learn how to design and code a proper program.
> pascal
Unuseful, you'll get bored and learn very little.

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

Just read SICP

First you learn to think.

then you learn how to express said thoughts in any language you want.

can you recommend a free integrated development environment or can I use notepad

Notepad++ is fine. Any IDE is fine too.

so you could code something in c++ and convert it to an exe file in notepad++?

As someone who started from Quick Basic and C++ and now codes on Ruby, C# and >JavaScript, I would say the opposite of what is good and say you should start with either C# or Java.

You WILL be a better coder if you'll start from C/C++. You'll be even better if you start from ASM. However, your motivation is much likely to become your bottleneck than your foundation is.

Having to do a lot of extra work to achieve pretty ordinary results isn't fun. I've started C# from almost a zero (I did read like 1/3 of "How to learn C++ in 21 days" and had basic knowledge regarding OOP) and after a month, I've written a standalone UWP-based logger for Azure applications. Two weeks later I've rewritten it to make it universal and able to log, track and sort any kind of no-schema table you wanted it to.
I've got a result. Something I've made myself. Something I couldn't have done before. It makes you proud and interested in learning more.
When you learn more, you'll eventually revisit previously boring concepts of manual memory manipulation, assembly, bytewise operations and so on. Not because you're actually working with any of these, but because now you actually know how does your shit work and you're interested in learning about what's going on inside it.