Don't Be Fooled by Samsung's Shiny New UI, It's Still TouchWiz

Galaxy S8 preorders have begun arriving at doorsteps, and some websites seem to be enamored by Samsung's latest visual revamp of TouchWiz — but don't buy the hype, it's a trap! From TouchWiz to Grace UX to Samsung Experience, no matter what the name is, it's still the same old clunky framework everyone has hated from the start. Samsung may have put a fancy little bow on it, but TouchWiz is still a resource-hogging behemoth underneath its shiny new theme.

I'll give it to Samsung, they did a fantastic job making TouchWiz look better, but we're already seeing evidence that its notoriously poor performance hasn't been improved. It's not much of a surprise, though, as every Samsung device to date has had countless reports of lagging, stuttering, and freezing. Users on XDA and Reddit have never stopped complaining about TouchWiz performance issues over the years, and it's looking like the Galaxy S8 and S8+ won't be exceptions to this rule.

youtube.com/watch?v=AxStsKhefTk

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.disconnect.me/disconnect-pro-for-samsung-free-for-one-week/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_DDR
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Enjoy your $850 polished turd, droidfags. I'll stick to my iPhone 7 Plus.

OnePlus 3T masterace here

Doesn't surprise me at all.
Samsung can't optimise to save their life.
My AT uses 95% of its ram with simple tasks.

stupid frog poster

I agree OxygenOS, Cyanogen, AOSP are the best.

Stupid vir/g/in

>$850 polished turd
>Iphone 7 plus

unused ram is wasted ram

>unused ram is wasted ram
This is true, but using 95% of your Ram with 2 apps open is retarded.

>all of those videos of Android phones being laggy as shit
>most phones I had hands on weren't laggy as shit
>all of the videos of iPhones being laggy as shit
>most iPhones I had hands on weren't laggy as shit

???

>i need to mod the shit out of my phone to make it work

and it still probably breaks each update.

thats why some people prefer iOS.

Samsung will never release a phone without their bloated framework because they use it to index, mine, and sell your personal data.

Yours is basically the same moron

You don't, I don't have issues with most LG phones, HTC phones and others without having to root. It's mostly Samsung phones. And I say that owning an S7.

youtube makes videos terrible?

>tfw got a LG G4 over a year ago
>Had to replace it due to the motherboard
Im already trying to replace and knowing that samsung still isnt any better just gives me less to choose from.

Unused ram means less battery usage

>frog
Uh uh.

Loved my G4 and thought mine was immune to bootloop then it fucking bootlooped. Never gonna buy LG again.

Can't you Andvoid users just install a pajeet ROM or something to get rid of TouchPiss?

How long did you have you hands on those phones?

>Just void your warranty

>caring about warranties

Man up. Whats the point in Andvoid if you can't install delicious rice and 6 clocks?

I won't deny this.

OPO with sultans CM13, which is supposedly the most stable out of all the available roms. Flashlight randomly refuses to work, system ui crashes if I exit out of the themes app before a theme is fully applied, won't automatically connect to known WiFi networks etc. Android is a meme.

Or just don't buy Samsung

Running Lineage OS, Nougat 7.1.2, my Droid Turbo has zero issues and the battery lasts almost three days, even after being two years old. I even have the processor underclocked to half speed and it still runs with no hiccups. Don't plan on getting a new phone for a while, and I still get security updates monthly.

>tfw stuck on MM because of xposed

>send phone away for weeks while some pajeet fucks around with it and has access to your personal data, then having the fault blamed on you and having to pay a service fee
Or
>pay $20 for a new part and fix it yourself.

>gif

lmao iToddlers still can't into webm

>it's not shit anymore
>b-but please keep hating it

literally Apple propaganda

why is Apple so scared of Samsung?

no it isn't

I used Xposed as well, but then I realized the updates I'd get from Nougat and crDroid were the only tweaks I used in Xposed. :/

>muh Samsung vs Apple
Apple doesn't care about Samsung. It's Samsung that is constantly trying to bash Apple in their ads and keynotes. Apple rarely even mentions them. And on top of that, Samsung is the Apple of Android.

Still better than my xperia 3 compact with fucked screen, i will enjoy my s8 soon fags

Third-party ROM's usually destroy camera performance, and you lose NFC payments.

Just had this happen yesterday to my G4 and salty as fuck about it. Posted from my S8..

Probably for as long as these guys making these videos has

I've literally never had an Oxygen OS update break anything. Do you think that OOS is an aftermarket XDA custom rom?

Using a ROM with Magisk right now, SafetyNet can't detect any of my fun root stuff so I get Android Pay and Pokemon Go just fine.

Use a less shit ROM or flash Magisk and MagiskSU yourself.

Same

Samsung makes nice hardware but their decisions regarding software make them unbuyable for enthusiasts/tinkerers. Knox is at the top of the mountain of bullshit.

Touchwiz has always been garbage, the only thing surprising about it this time is that Samsung managed to make a fast octacore Snapdragon 835 run slow. That alone is mind boggling. Then you turn on the phone and after you log into your Google account, you have to create a Samsung account so you can use the Touchwiz bullshit. So you use a separate e-mail client, app store, and about a dozen other garbageware Samsung apps that run on top of Android.

>can uninstall most samsung/carrier bloatware
>not forced to make samsung account
IDK senpai I like my s8

Not a problem on Exynos models.

There's literally nothing wrong with TouchWiz.
>everyone hates touchwiz
The first I'm hearing about it. Everyone I know prefers it to stock android, and why wouldn't they?

No it doesn't. RAM doesn't use any more battery for being "full" than it does for being empty.

>The first I'm hearing about it. Everyone I know prefers it to stock android
You must be pretty new or underage, back on the s2/s3 days touchjizz was atrocious and Samsung stock rom is always full of bloat. Also they drop phone support a mere year street release, my old s3 latest official rom was 4.3 while with custom roms I have 7.1 nougat faster than any sammy rom.
What happens now is that they throw hardware to hide optimizations and people don't notice at first glance but when you see $200 phones being faster than samsung flagships you start wondering why it's that

>back on s2
Well, people here mostly used Sony Ericsson back in the day and at android v3 and lower all android devices lagged. It didn't get better up until v5.
That said, I've never heard a single complaint on Samsung in general. All the device problems come from play store being a resource hog and apps and websites having ads. This can easely be disabled even if you aren't rooted.

>The first I'm hearing about it

How about you educate yourself first then? You're just polluting the thread at this point.

Nope, the samsung own store and duplicate apps for the same android functionality was bloat then and its bloat now.
You're talking on anecdotal evidence but you can search for "samsung slow" in any forum to see the general problem. Also here it is always being posted about this, check the archives newfriend

>bloated ugly touchjizz that takes gigs of memory just to chug along
>vs clean consistent iOS that just werks and werks well

yeah get fookt buddy, enjoy your generic chink brand crap.

Works on my machine™. I'm not retarded enough not to disable everything useless.

>newfriend
I'm not new, I just never cared about Sup Forums's opinion on this because you all behave like angry children. Writing "touchjizz sucks" constantly isn't an argument or an explanation to why touchwiz is bad.

>touchwizz
>ever not being shit
haha

k bud

first day on the internet?

>No Expandable storage
Yeah I'll pass

>no cure for autism
Yeah I'll pass

>I still get security updates monthly.
your device is not secure:
1. broken Android security model when SELinux isn't enforced
2. no security updates possible for binary blobs

>creating a samshit account
jej

>s8 has shit battery life and garbage touchjizz

Why is this even allowed in 2017? Garbage chinkphones have bigger and better battery life. I hope samshit goes bankrupt.

samsung isn't powerful enough to dictate which bloatware apps are preinstalled on their phones, this is why android is terrible and iOS is good.

retard pls.

Samsung's app store allows ad blockers not like Google's.
combined with Samsung's Touchwiz implementation of a system-wide content blocker framework that allows for decent ad blockers w/o root.
blog.disconnect.me/disconnect-pro-for-samsung-free-for-one-week/

>samsung isn't powerful enough to dictate which bloatware apps are preinstalled on their phones
Yeah, I'm sure all their pre-installed Samshit bloatware apps are completely out of their hand.

ram displayed is bullshit on 99% android devices.
you can notice when the ram runs out (returning to an app makes it "reload")

iOS was the same, at least until iOS6. when the ram got full, it had this "slow wait" between app switching.

they are superior to their Google equivalents and only non-Samsung users think Samsung apps are bloat when in reality it's Google's.
Google is forcing Samsung to include their inferior apps or else no Play Store.
that's leading to bloat.

>or else no Play Store
But what do they need the Play Store for if they already have their Samsung Store?

>they are superior to their Google equivalents
If TouchWizz vs Stock Android is any indicative of the quality of Samsung Software, then they are by no means superior.

bullocks.
the whole point of LPDRR is that it consumes less power when not fully loaded.
otherwise no one would use expensive LPDDR4 instead of DDR4, which have the same base voltage.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_DDR

>actually taking the time to transcript a fucking youtube video just to link it

FUCK OFF SHILL

>But what do they need the Play Store for if they already have their Samsung Store?
just saying Play Store was a simplification. in reality it's about GMS:
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

>If TouchWizz vs Stock Android is any indicative of the quality of Samsung Software, then they are by no means superior.
how so?
Touchwiz has features that will take years till they make it to stock, see quick settings/fingerprint scanner/multi-window in the past or now convergence (DeX).

Nobody was comparing those, what are you even arguing about now?
A phone with almost nothing in RAM wouldn't last over 10 minutes longer than the one with filled RAM due to caching, which is what android uses RAM for. The only thing that would make a difference are background processes, which use the CPU and for that reason drain battery.

>how so?
Best Hardware available and still laggy as fuck.

Who cares? CPU usage is what actually matters

>notoriously poor performance
performance is only one metric.
touchwiz always cared more about features and battery life (tho battery life suffers due to more features).

OP3T is the polar opposite with barebone Android and optimized for speed.
it's even faster than the Pixel (except maybe in touch latency).

not a lot of average consumers care and will get used to touchwiz performance, so they notice no lag.
otherwise everyone would be using iPhones by now as it took Google till the Pixel to be competitive in real world performance.

Now try to change the theme. Guess what, you need a Samsung account to do that.

Honestly a lot of the lag issues can be fixed by just changing animation time to 0.5x in dev options. Instantly feels much more responsive.

Touchwiz is still shit though.

>samshit app store
j fucking ej

still bullocks.
LPDDR does consume way less power when almost empty, it will power down the memory banks it doesn't need.

>MUH LAG
Face it Sup Forums, responsiveness has never been a selling factor. Smartphones are built around features the average user can identify as new and interesting, and that can make the smartphone look better at his eyes.

Be real: nobody really cares about the quarter of a second faster UI, or the optimization, for that matter.

Optimization doesn't sell. Shiny shit does.

but can it do youtube playback in the background and block youtube ads? Why aren't they making xposed for nugget

boomers ruined capitalism

And what are those exactly?

>muh opens .0001 seconds quicker!
Just fucking download Nova launcher and lower animation durations you autist.

if you're not using stock android (or a similar custom rom) or iOS you are a sucker

SAMSHIT HOUSEFIRES TOUCHJIZZ

>If you aren't tuning your own car or building your own shelf, you are a sucker.

No but AOSP (unless you compiled from source yourself) and CM definitely are. Why are you cherrypicking?

See

>tfw my 830 is breaking up

fuuuuug i don't want to leave WP, boys...

>Touchwiz is Android

Yeah, gonna have to ask you to kill yourself, faggot.

>touchjizz
>not lagdroid
What did he mean by this?

That's how phones work, if you want real security don't get a phone. Without those blobs your phone won't work as a phone… However, I'm not trying to point out security specifically, just the fact that I have a constant stream of updates available for my device which functions flawlessly.

I have NewPipe for that. I don't use Google Apps.

Something for changing UI colors I think, and a few other UI tweaks. I honestly didn't use it for a lot but I can understand other people waiting for Nougat support if they have things they use and can't give up.

>I just never cared about Sup Forums's opinion on this because you all behave like angry children.
Then you're free to search on google and the internet about those topics, like I tell you before, you should find plenty and more on xda-developers and such.
>Writing "touchjizz sucks" constantly isn't an argument or an explanation to why touchwiz is bad.
You already read the arguments, samsung brand own apps on top of android and un-optimized software.

Sup Forums is mostly idiots, but the issues with touchjizz are well documented

>That's how phones work, if you want real security don't get a phone. Without those blobs your phone won't work as a phone… However, I'm not trying to point out security specifically, just the fact that I have a constant stream of updates available for my device which functions flawlessly.
nope, vendors can update binary blobs.

if your binary blobs don't get security updates, you can't say your system is getting security updates as only part of it is.

also it's not LineageOS but crDroid, which isn't even signed with a private key.
anyone could just sign her malware with the same key and replace a system app that has root.
so makes zero sense to boast about security updates when you have broken the basic principle of android's security model (signatures).

happy with my OnePlus 2. Probably get a new phone by the time OnePlus gets to the 5T

how can you be happy but you want to update within months?

Blamp

I don't think I have *ever* heard a person in the flesh ever complain about touchwiz

If people hate it, they are mostly keeping it to themselves or could it be possible that touchwiz issues are mostly ignored by the general consumer ?

The most common complaints I hear from just talking to people about all phones in general is
battery life
applications freezing/crashing
Some setting they don't know how to change
iTunes