Ryzen overclocking

So I decided to get this board instead of the prime, for 95$ more. Thought to myself that I'll be using this for the next 3-4 years or more so might as well spend an extra 100$ which means nothing in the long run for the comfort of having the best board.

How far have you guys been able to push the 1700x or 1800x so far?

I ordered the 1700x myself

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KzRG_LjUl8Q
guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-have-a-temperature-20-degree-c-reporting-offset.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ANx4vYL2n-E
corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmd16gx4m2b3200c16
overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/0_50
3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire strike 3dmark score ultra preset/version 1.1/1 gpu
asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO_DRAM_QVLforAMDRyzenProcessors_0316.pdf?_ga=1.82815506.540696967.1492853992
asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4/index.asp
overclock.net/t/1623547/amd-ryzen-motherboard-thread
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This should give you better insight to your choices.
youtube.com/watch?v=KzRG_LjUl8Q

Is this about to show me that a budget 50$ ASSrock mobo is better than the 250$ one?

No, it educates you about what to expect. Also how the fuck shit works.
Knowing is half the battle.

Do you have to use both the 8 pin and 4 pin connectors for this motherboard in the op?

>two IP's
I'd say so OP. They don't put that shit there for shits and giggles.
But should you not, I doubt it would cause issue if you didn't connect the 4 pin. Unless they went full retard and not take failure into account.

>still falling for the actual motherboard meme
Just use a potato, faggot

Crap I didn't get a fancy sleeved cable for my cpu for another cpu cable

fugg :D

>using computers

>he bought into the ryzen meme

>VRM capable of doing 150A
>Ryzen 7 overclocked with suicide voltages draw tops 100A
>lololol shitty borad
really makes my think things tingle

1700 is the only worth while r7 to get.

Oc it to 4ghz.

No the 4pin is optional

Should I use it or not? Feels like it will get hotter with no gain if I'm not actually using that extra power

>He bought an ASSUS mobo
>For Ryzen
you fucked up nigga. Should have gone Asrock.

why

I hate this edgey design that's on everything related to gaming

looks like fucking shit

ASUS BIOSs are shit on Ryzen. With the lowest supported memory speeds to boot.

AsRock are currently providing the best BIOS, with highest framerates in games thanks to it, and highest memory speeds, which also helps.

You can use it if your PSU has the connectors, it won't run any hotter, but (in theory) it allows the VRM to pull more current when needed. However it's probably pointless in practice if you're not doing LN2 overclocking since ryzen doesn't seem to pull much more than 100A @1.45V, ~4GHz, which a single 8pin can handle just fine.

Taichi is probably better value if you can get one at around the MSRP, or if you really need wifi. But the C6H still has a better VRM and BIOS.

wtf does this wifi part mean?

forgot upload

You are gonna be fine OP, just make sure to keep an eye out for bios updates.

Am I getting any of the fancy audio benefits from the crosshair if I'm using a DAC amp that connects via usb?

You can buy an M2 wifi card like pic related and it will slot into the board there.

Does overclocking ram make it harder to overclock cpu? or are the two unrelated?

No.

shit nigga

does it even matter? I'm using modi2 + magni 2 from schiit

The crosshair supports 3200mhz for certain kits. My kit is 3200mhz but not on the QVL so the only way I get above 2666mhz is a combination of the 2666mhz profile and BCLK overclocking.

What is LN2 overclocking? Is it not possible with ryzen?

LN2 is liquid nitrogen bro.

oh lol

>100A @1.45V, ~4GHz,

How hot does it get in that case?

LN2 overclocking: Cooling your CPU with liquid nitrogen (boiling point ~-196C) in order to achieve higher overclocks. Possible with ryzen, but like with any other cpu it's only relevant if you want to break records: you can't run your PC like this all day.

Just finished my won 1800x Hero VI build yesterday. I've got it running at 4.0 GHz with a Noctua nh-d15-se-am4 with 55c idle and 86c max I got by running small FFT on Prime95 giving it ~1.4 volts right now and seems stable enough. I don't plan to push further than this unless I feel the need to.

Memory is two sticks of single rank Ripjaws V DDR4 running at 2666, can't get 2933 to post but gaven't really tried all that much.

BTW my mobo was DOA when I got it, had to flash new BIOS to even get a boot code.

LMAO????

55C IDLE???

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

>60017101
guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-have-a-temperature-20-degree-c-reporting-offset.html

How do you flash a bios if the motherboard doesn't start?

nah HWinfo accounts for that now these should be real temps

I said idle was but looking more closely it's between 50-55 with occasional dips to 45-50

here is one minute of data from HWinfo

why is it so high then?

You can flash Hero VI from USB using a button at the back of the mobo, watch this video: youtube.com/watch?v=ANx4vYL2n-E

The video is for Maximus VII but the procedure is the same.

Why the fuck is this even a thing? Something tells me that if a Ryzen chip actually hits those high temps, it will start a housefire.

If it does account for the 20 degree offset, then there's either something very wrong with your cooler, or with Ryzen as a whole.

You best be using pstates to overclock.

>can't get 2933 to post but gaven't really tried all that much.

Start fucking with bclk to get ram upto speed.

You made a good choice on motherboard - some would say the best choice at the moment! Asus ROG boards have never let me down and have the best features for the money I've found.

That said, Ryzen seems to OC well. Check out HardOCP and their general fucking around with Ryzen for real world OCinng and benching. You did the right thing getting the 1700X, as the 1800 lineup is not worth it. The 1700 is also okay and is nearly as good as the 1700X making it the budget choice for performance, but it doesn't OC quite as well so if you can afford it get the 1700X.

As far as OC speeds, I think target or 4.0ghz as they seem to top out around there generally. Note that's 4.0ghz on cores etc. Also read up, unlike Intel procs it seems that AMD ones will not hard lock /BSOD our whatnot when you go over their limit, but instead will halt much nicer, so be careful and ensure that you don't take the fact it merely crashes an application instead of the whole PC to mean stability! Make sure you also have good RAM to get the most out of your performance, so like DDR4 3000 or better with around 3000-3400 being the sweet spot for your wallet.

Enjooy!

Well I seem to have been mistaken as apparently HWinfo does report the 20c offset after all so my temps are much lower than I thought.

From HWinfo forums: "Yes, that's right. Tdie = Tctl - Tctl_offset, where Tctl_offset = 20 C for 1700X and 1800X"

>ryzen
>overclocking
Pick one

>but it doesn't OC quite as well so if you can afford it get the 1700X.

Realistically the 1700 is only 100mhz behind a 1700x for max OC and that generally isn't worth the price difference. If you see absolute ryzen performance you'd be getting the 1800x anyway.

>1700 is the only worth while r7 to get.
yes.
>Oc it to 4ghz.
no. stocks speeds are fine. enjoy that efficiency.

It has an integrated memory controller, so overclocking your CPU gives you better chance of overclocking your RAM

This. If you can overclock your chip, you got very lucky with the silicon lottery, or you're in for an impending housefire.

I got this ram corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmd16gx4m2b3200c16

I checked and it is compatible with the mobo but I am worried it might not reach 3200 which is my goal. I've not seen anything about it in all the threads about ram types for Ryzen that seem to praise g skill ram.

G skill tridentz doesn't ship to my country anyhow though so this was my best choice I think.

That shouldn't really be the case, adding an extra power connector won't change your CPU's power draw and I don't see any good reason for it to reduce VRM efficiency either, there's no place for extra heat to come from.

OP here, I was contemplating hard between the 1700 and 1700x, ended up getting the 1700x because I don't need the cooler with the 1700 and it feels like a psychological deception where the 1700x does feel justified to buy when you're not even getting a cooler but it costs more.

kinda thinking I messed up on that, hope I get more than 100mhz out of it.

The 1800 / 1800x are waymore expensive for little change if any in OC headroom compared to 1700 / 1700X. However, while the 1700X won't be likely to get you a lot higher OC than the 1700, I read that it is likely to have a better chance of better temps/voltage and OC potential/quality overall. I think its typically worth it, but if the price is an issue the 1700 is still a good chip.

For laughs I decided to run prime95 to see how hot my 1700 at 3.9ghz gets and the answer is not very hot at all.

The 1800x has no headroom. The point of overclocking it is to get 4.1 on all cores all the time - something you are running the lottery for on the other chips.

What's the best B350m MOBO right now?
Don't care about brand, only functionality... and looks.

At 100 A (33 A per phase) the vrm are already pumping out 25 watts of heat.
Combine that with a crappy cooler and thermal pads instead of thermal paste and you have the perfect housefire recepee.
I would never buy that board and overclock.

You can try a beta BIOS and see if it helps with DRAM OC (see link below). I've been using 0082 and it allows me to get my memory to 3200MHz without touching the BCLK. (Using a set of 2 corsair 8GB@3000MHz sticks) Note that the SOC voltage (stay below 1.1V) and procODT are also worth playing with if it doesn't work right away.

overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/0_50

What's the difference between 1.002 and 0.082?

What is 2T and 1T?

3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire strike 3dmark score ultra preset/version 1.1/1 gpu

RYZEN KEKING FAGGOTS WHO SPENT 1000$ ON THEIR CPU

HAHAHAHAH

>What's the difference between 1.002 and 0.082?

0.79 onwards are based upon the new AGESA.

>What is 2T and 1T?

RAM command rate. To 99.9% of people it is meaningless.

>0.79 onwards are based upon the new AGESA.
So either of those is fine?

Just go with 079 unless your ram is on the support list for 082.

0082 (beta) is based on the AGESA 1004a microcode from amd, it's supposed to improve memory compatibility for ryzen (and it does in most cases), while 1002 (stable) is based on older microcode. 1T and 2T basically determines how fast (counted in clocks) the ram responds to command from the cpu, 1T is better but some ram will only work at 2T (check vendor specifications).

What about the later versions?

where is that list? sorry for spoonfeed request

corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmd16gx4m2b3200c16

This is the ram I ordered, where do I check that?

The other revisions are just 079 with specific tweaks - they aren't newer or better for every setup.

The QVL for your motherboard.

asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/

gaming 3. stay away from asus

dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO_DRAM_QVLforAMDRyzenProcessors_0316.pdf?_ga=1.82815506.540696967.1492853992

I've seen this PDF but I still have no idea if it's 2t or 1t

CMD16GX4M2B3200C16

This is the ram I got from amazon. I also don't know if it's version 4.31 like in this list or not.

Is this a good mobo for 1600 oc?

asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4/index.asp

>I've seen this PDF but I still have no idea if it's 2t or 1t

1T or 2T is not a feature of the RAM sticks, it comes from the motherboard and cpu memory controller. Vishera for example had a god awful memory controller so getting 1T out of it (especially on lots of ram) required sorcery.

It is one of the top three x370 motherboards. Unless you REALLY need (or want) x370 i'd look towards a top tier B350 board instead.

got my 1600 sitting at 3.8ghz with 1.31875v core and 1.225v soc. idles at 35-37 w phanteks tc12dx and gets to around 70 under load. memoriy is 4x8gb team ddr4-3000 running at 2933 under xmp profile (1.38v). using the ax370 gaming 5 w/ the f5 bios.

>gets to around 70 under load

Define load. There is a world of difference between playing CS:GO and running prime95.

aida64 stability.

>Not using the superior GIGABYTE AORUS AM4 motherboards
>With a superior GIGABYTE BIOS
>And a BACKUP BIOS

what are the top tier b350 boards? I see the msi tomahawk mentioned a bit, is that the one to get?

You should probably keep Vsoc below 1.2V as that is said to be the max safe voltage. Maybe go down to 1.1V and see how things work out.

I returned my aorus k7 because the bios is shit

I have no idea what ones are the best, but this huge thread might have some info.

overclock.net/t/1623547/amd-ryzen-motherboard-thread

I'm sorry for bugging you more but I still have no idea how to decide if I need 1t or 2t bios then. You said to look at the QVL but then that it's not there?

I have the gaming 5
I haven't had any issues with it
what was shit about it?

>I'm sorry for bugging you more but I still have no idea how to decide if I need 1t or 2t bios then

Unless you are getting stability issues and/or are using shitloads of high density DIMMS just use 1T. In practical terms unless you are building a workstation that will use software sensitive to ram latency 1T or 2T makes no difference.

tried 1.2, crashed after anywhere from 10-45min in aida. seeing as i barely do anything taxing at all, i may put it back to 1.2 or 1.15

What is density in ram?

I'm just hoping my ram will work at 3200 with default profile settings.. part of why I got the best mobo possible

that seems so wrong..
my 2500k at 4.5ghz does 110 GFlops

No p-state overclocking and way less configurable options compared to the crosshair vi

>way less configurable options compared to the crosshair vi
Like what thats so important?
Did i make a bad buy?

>What is density in ram?

How much memory is on a stick.

>I'm just hoping my ram will work at 3200 with default profile settings.. part of why I got the best mobo possible

Memory support is all over the place for ryzen right now though the upcoming may AGESA is supposed to be focused on ram support.

There are two versions of IBT - the AVX version and non AVX. I am using the non AVX version. Besides the score is completely irrelevant for IBT as its a stress tester not some high scores benchmark like (say) firestrike is.

It only matters if you want to go balls-deep when overclocking. Pstate overclocking is nice as it lets you set your OC and retain the ability for the chip to downclock at idle but that isn't usually a make or break feature.

Nah gaming 5 is fine for the price. But it will not be as configurable as the crosshair, which has (like most ROG boards) an insane amount of options in the bios. Gigabyte boards tend to have a much more basic bios in my experience. Not that it really matters though much for daily use though.

Yeah, was weird for me seeing barely anyone has the corsair dominators and almost everyone has gskill tridentz or some other gskill.

Can someone please explain to me why AM4 motherboards have different video outputs like dvi, hdmi, display port when Ryzen cpu's don't have igpu?

Later this year raven ridge APUs will come out on AM4 and they will be able to use the video outputs on boards that have them.

>not waiting for Zen+

Oh, thank you. any chance they will be good like this Ryzen cpu line but with igpu?

no. Elmor, a asus engineer and currently working on the crosshair, on the offical overclock.net crosshair overclocking thread, has stated the 4 pin is solely option and not needed. its only there for LN2. it doesn't help keep anything more stable, cleaner, or whatever. its only there to draw more power when overclocking with LN2 and pushing 1.6-1.7v's into the processor.

No clue for now. Most likely scenario is that they strip a whole CCX off and bundle an R7-like chip in that half so they could offer quad cores with and without SMT + a decent GPU.

There are also some Kaveri APUs already released on the AM4 platform but they're only OEM for now.

Nice

I really hope the sleeved cables I ordered have 8 pin and not 6 pin.. gotta check that now

They will probably be limited to a single CCX (4C/8T max), since the rest of the die will be used for the GPU. So in terms of CPU performance I'd expect the fastest model to be comparable to the R5 1500X, maybe a little faster. Could be interesting for a cheap gaming/multimedia PC if the iGPU is reasonably fast.