Switch from a 6 year old AMD card to the GTX 1060

>Switch from a 6 year old AMD card to the GTX 1060

>My colors are all washed out and my blacks are now grey

What the actual fuck?

what the fuck point is this thread

Set your black levels to PC instead of RGB somewhere in your settings.

Stupid questions thread, dumbass.

switch from 16-235 to 0-255 color mode in nvidia control panel

This way (TM) it's meant to be played (C)

you dun jewed goy

Thanks but why would Nvidia do this as the default setting in the first place?

Never buying nvidia jew shit again...

Never had this problem when I moved from 7770 to 980 and then to 1070. Might be your Windows install fucking it up.

You're probably using the DVI or displayport connector. On HDMI the nvidia driver identifies your display as a TV and limits your color range by a significant amount.

Nvidia is literally shit.

Lmao thanks for the heads up, I was using 15-235 this whole time. So this is what black looks like

No I'm using hdmi

This is a problem with Intel's Linux driver too.
Additionally, you have to manually set the colour range with xrandr on each restart because Intel was too jewish to add one fucking driver config option.

It's a monitor-based thing, not a connector one. Nvidia's shitty driver used to detect my U2414H as requiring limited range, and I've always had it hooked up via DP. Recently it's begun setting full range automatically though, even with a fresh install via DDU.

>Expect nVidia v AMD flame war
>Get genuine technical issue with easy fix
Huh, this is a step in the right direction, I'm proud of you Sup Forums.
Because compatibility. Same reason you almost always have to adjust over scan settings when connecting to a TV and many other similar things. It's the most sane default. They probably could find some way around it but the question is if the effort would be worth it.

i think op was trying to start a flamewar with comments like

>Never buying nvidia jew shit again...
>Nvidia is literally shit.

but nobody is falling for his shit.

I'm naive, I like to think he's just venting genuine frustration. Most Sup Forumsentoomen don't handle change very well.

Why would Nvidia limit the color range for any monitor or display whatsoever? Why build a powerful GPU just to shoot yourself in the foot?

I've never heard of such stupid shit from AMD despite their rep for bad drivers.

I'm not trying to start shit but I'm allowed to be pissed off by retarded Nvidia design choices.

i can't tell if you're legitimately retarded or just trolling. maybe you should sell your new gpu to someone that is actually competent.

Fuck off retarded

Most HDTVs require a limited range setting, because they're incapable of properly displaying full range. You get the more vibrant colours, but you also get massively crushed blacks.

How the fuck is Nvidia's incompetence his fault? This has been a problem for fucking years. They only added the option to even switch it in their control panel a couple of years ago. Before that you needed a third party program to fix their broken shit. I find it a shame that there are thousands of people sitting there looking as washed out colours and greyish blacks because Nvidia can't get a basic setting right based on the display detected (which AMD's driver has never had any problems with, incidentally).

Most people have no idea what the fuck full and limited range are (or even that they exist), let alone to go looking for an option to switch them in the control panel. Full range should be the fucking default if the driver can't for some reason detect which it should use. Most people use their card with a monitor, not some shitty HDTV.

Because some TV can't 0 so you need 16. Blame the RBG

just stop posting. console gaming is for you.

OP here, that's not me, you nvidia cum-guzzler.

Try looking into your settings. Also, DisplayCal has a tool for keeping VCGT reset, it keeps running in tray after installation.

Any tonal setting which card applies is applied through VCGT so it will help you.

>You get the more vibrant colours, but you also get massively crushed blacks.
Black point crushing prevents displaying of most vibrant colours.