I'm trying to figure out which laptop to buy and I want to fucking kill myself

I'm trying to figure out which laptop to buy and I want to fucking kill myself.
Everything is cheap plastic or too fancy to actually use.
Thinkpads are a meme. Apple is overpriced. All the other crap is crap.
I just want something cheap I can put linux on, do some coding on and watch movies in bed or something.
This shouldn't be this hard.

It isn't.
Buy second hand Elitebook.

This. I live muh 8470p

Love* dammit

same.
I would mind better and louder speakers, but I can live with that

Even if I go with second hand thinkpad/elitebook there are like 50 thousand variations out there and I have no way of easily comparing them. No wonder normies don't buy laptops anymore. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about computers, more on the software front then the hardware front, but this is bad for my mental health.

Just bite the bullet and pick something with the specs that suit your need with a decent brand.
Don't worry about memory or hdd/ssd space, because you can upgrade that shit later.

Are you retarded?
When people talk about Thinkpads/Elitebooks, they think about Thinkpad T/X series or Elitebook 84xx, 82xx series, difference is screen size 14"/12".
So you only need to chose screen size and generation (read money you want to spend)

op its almost like you want us to call you a faggot
>no thinkpads
>no macs
>no xps
do you want us to endorse the gdp win or something?

meems aside, 2012, 2013 thinkpads, elitebooks and the 2013 macbooks (not sure on this one but applel people say its most upgradable macbook) are cheap and dont make you want to off yourself.
Personally, I'd go for a x230 or T430 (or x220 or T420 if youre alergic to ivy bridge or something, though keep in mind that mobile ivy bridge doesn't have any of the problems the desktop version did)
optionally

you can get an elitebook which I hear are pretty good too
If an applel fag stops by you can ask him about the 2012 macbook too if youre feeling like it

Get an iPad Pro, laptops are deprecated anyway.

I think I'm going to go with a T430.
I had been eyeing it before.
Thanks for the help, it's hard to get some clarity into all these meaningless model numbers.

>citation needed

i have that exact same laptop, dell vostro 3558, and with an ssd in the place of the dvd, and 8gb ram
10/10 for that price, except that in linux it has a kernel bug not solved, if you suspend the system, you have a chance of getting the system frozen when you wake up, forcing you to hard reboot
so dont choose that model if you are going for linux, or use hibernation

good choice user.
T430 is best bang for the buck, I went for Elitebook counterpart 8470p just because it was cheaper

How is the battery? I read somewhere it wasn't good.

Photoshop?
Video editing?

Unlike what most toddlers believe, an App Store cannot replace DLing from the source.

>Procreate
>iMovie

anons, not everyone need to edit their Chinese pedo cartoons

>HP ZBook/EliteBook
>IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad
>Dell Latitude
Pick

Get a Latitude E7450/E7470. They are way more solid than any of the new Thinkpads, and cost way less. Battery life is also great.

sounds good, that was my second choice.
If you're ever unsatisfied with the keyboard, keep in mind you can replace it with one from a **10 or **20 model.

too expensive

What's your budget?

ThinkPads are not a meme

You got memed

The GPD win is a pretty neat pocket laptop about the size of a DS.

I'm hoping to get away with

Not him, but I have a budget of $200 any suggestions?

T520

>Thinkpads are a meme.
baka

Get a T520 or W520 with the fullHD screen

Just don't spend a lot of money on a laptop, get something thats cheap that you can tote around and maybe take a little bit of a beating depending on how are about taking care of your stuff. Something thats not going to cost a lot to replace. Years ago I bought into the gaming laptop meme, and now I have a laptop that can't be upgraded and can only be sold for about a 5th of the price I bought it. If you need a GOOD computer, invest in a desktop, build on and get a cheap laptop on the side all the news are crap anyone, they're built to be replaced not repaired.

got my x220 for £50 without ram, charger, battery or hdd. I was planning to upgrade to 8gb ram, ssd and a 9 cell battery so it was a good deal

dell precision 7510 or xps 15
everything else made these days is garbage

go to china and buy cheap parts of laptop. Then, make your own laptop. it will be cheaper than buying something crap but expensive, also you can save your time to hold your hand. (moreover, china is a good place if north korea doesn't plan to launch missiles to china)

x hand
○head

Bought one recently.
Very happy with it so far.

>Apple is overpriced
Stop being poor. It's the best option for a laptop if you can afford it. Everything else that comes out nowadays is just a macbook clone with Windows 10 installed. W10 is shit, even to the point that most normies are complaining now.

Hi Ben

Oh fuck off Steve.

Why does /tpg/ recommend 420/220 over 430/230?

He's right

Steve's dead. Convenience and user-friendliness isn't.

>Getting this mad over buying a laptop

You don't deserve one you'll probably break it

it has the old style keyboard, which is better than the newer chiclet ones.

No, he's not. Apple is overpriced shit. It has bad hardware and the iOS is rapidly becoming user-unfriendly. There's a reason why most people have androids and windows.

Is that the only reason?

>I just want something cheap I can put linux on, do some coding on and watch movies in bed or something.
thinkpads are not a meme. you can go on ebay right now and find a cheap thinkpad that easily fits these requirements

there is a perfectly straightforward reason for this -- businesses buy thinkpads and then dispose of them every 2 years

I bought a mid quality Asus laptop cause thinkpads are good but expensive. my config is nVidia GeForce 930, 1TB HDD and 8GB RAM, Intel Core i3 2nd Gen. (2.1GHz)

>bad hardware
This is bullshit unless you're a faggy gaymer, and in that case you shouldn't even be on Sup Forums in the first place.

what is a pawn shop

Nice projection. CPU means a lot outside of gaming. Apples have shit-tier CPUs which means poor performance.

It's not an issue if you just need a facebook machine.

I think this is a good place to ask
your opinion on ideapads? Are these like thinkpads?
ideapads look like cheap macs but I trust lenovo a lot
Anyway, with proper cleaning any notebook can endure years so I hope these are easy to open

System76 would be perfect. The hardware is supported for Linux.

>I just want something cheap I can put linux on, do some coding on and watch movies in bed or something.
>Thinkpads are a meme
You're a fucking retard

I got a 15 inch medion akoya with the usual bargain basement specs expected of that price range but 4 gigs of ram instead of 2 and really think that makes a diff. Cost 200 euros.

Only really shit thing about it is the screen, even the keyboard and trackpad are a decebt effort, and as long as you debloat win 10 proper its pretty damn snappy considering the specs.

Couldnt recommend it more to a tight budgeteer.

Everything depends on you're budget, but I was looking for a laptop around 900$ few months ago, got the HP envy 15 and I'm pretty satisfied, full aluminium body and nice specs

Ideapad are utter trash.

Get a cheap asus laptop with an i3 and a small ssd if you want a cheap quality laptop.

shut up, prime you wallet and buy a goddamn clean new fucking macbook and literally leave this problem behind forever

I bought the X220 when it was considered the top of the line best laptop you could find. To this day nothing has surpassed it and the top of the line best laptop you can find remains X220s -- except now they cost like $150 on ebay instead of $1100 from Lenovo, making them an even better buy.

OP why not a Thinkpad T560? You can configure one on Lenovo's website. Massive battery life. IPS 1080p screen, no NVidia graphics so you don't have to deal with a battery life hog. 15.6". And it's a thinkpad.

It's literally the perfect laptop.

Protip: it's all trash.

Actually buying a portable computer should be your last resort. If you desperately NEED to use a computer on the go and simply can't remote into your desktop from a phone (ie teamviewer) on the go then consider buying a surface 3 or the GPD WIN. Again as a last resort.

>Recommend laptops to me
>But not any good ones!!

regular, 4-5h screen

230/430/530 series also make it impossible to use third party batteries, which means you're stuck with a $100 battery replacement instead of a $20 one.

Oh well, seems like I lost my last piece of hope

>i want something cheap
then you're going to get a disposable plastic laptop.

You're flat out not going to get a new, $500? laptop that doesn't fit that description.

Either get a used business class laptop, or pay the premium for a higher end consumer/pseudo professional(MacBooks, Dell XPS) laptop, or business class (Thinkpad T Series or whatever)

b8

Actually serious. Laptops bring you poor performance, and half the time constant overheating that results in heavy thermal throttling. Not worth it at all.

t. ex-macbook 2015 owner

Just get a t470 senpai

I bought a refurbished TP420 for £135.

Good condition and does everything I want.

My 8yr old Macbook has yet to overheat...on a bed...in Summer...with no a/c

That luck of draw

Good for you m8. Ever since they out that liter cock sucker in charge of apple, everything has gone to shit.

First the overheating trash can desktop, then touchgate, then that 800MHz dual-core macbook, then alluminum chipping on 6s and up, then that emojibar macbook, ect.

The pursuit of perfection is six feet under. I swear, they're just doing it intentionally too see how far brand loyalty can carry them.

DELL PRECISION

THIS.

Also, the Dell Precision 7520. I think it's out already, but it has no AMD video card options the last time I checked.

SEVEN-ROW KEYBOARD

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYTHING 1366x768???
ADVERTISING HD AS THE NEW HOT SHIT, ARE NORMIES THAT STUPID?

HP Omen is functional, less than $2000
Can run Overwatch at 40-50-60fps range at max quality, Skyrim at 40-50-60fps range at high quality settings and an ass load of mods.

>Thinkpads are a meme

Get a fucking thinkpad you nigger

Cheap
Reliable
Chink master design
God tier materials
Powerfull

Don't like them ? Get a fucking Latitude, it's the same shit as thinkpad, but with Dell written on it

Xiaomi mi air