Horizontal motherboard tray

>Horizontal motherboard tray

Why don't more (Mini-ITX/μATX) manufacturers do this?
I cannot think of any downsides to this, why do vertical SFF cases even exist?

>Less CPU socket stress from tower coolers
>Less PCI slot stress from heavy GPUs
>Easier to build and service

What do you think fellow Sup Forumsentooman?

how is it easier to Service?

im new to building pcs and just got a broken GPU in the mail and it was a pain in the ass trying to hit that release on the pcie slot in a normal case. i would fucking rip this case apart trying to unplug and reinsert a gpu over and over, not being able to look down at the release. only a millimeter visible behind the backplate.

>easier to build and service
no

Even with mITX cases get too fat.

How the hell do you install large CPU coolers with a case like that? The mounting brackets on the back of the mobo would be so hard to reach.

It all depends on the installation procedure for the cooler.

That one would be fairly easy. You just have to mount the backplate first, install the board and then screw the heatsink down onto it.

it isn't

in fact, I bet neat wiring is even harder because you can't access the back of the motherboard as easily

I have a case like this and you dont. You take the mobo out and then install cooler. Fucking sucks.

>using a case without a removable motherboard tray

lmao what a fag

I have one of those (most have exactly the same basic internal chassis) and you just hide the cable kraken in the lower floor.

>he can't open the back of his case for easy cpu cooler installation
>instead he has to pull out the mobo, install a heavy cooler on it, and then shoehorn it into the case without fucking it up
k

>He installs the CPU cooler after putting the motherboard in the case
Are you all retarded, do you plebs not test the system before putting everything in?

My CPU cooler is already on the motherboard before installing into case 100% of the time.

I have one with a removable motherboard tray. For me its easier to install parts but its fucking huge which is a slight downside.
(Thermaltake core x9)

What if i told you horizontal motherboards were once the norm, but towers became more popular (everywhere except offices) for practical reasons? And practical reasons that still apply now?

actually after having done all the testing i did, if i get a new case in the future (currently define r5) i will get a test bench.

the parts i buy are pretty quiet outside of the case and it would be a lot easier to clean it and notice when it needs cleaning if all the parts were visible.

Don't you dare call that mini itx. That's literally as big as mid ATX.

It's actually just a bit wider than mATX, with all the added space for extra cooling and drives.

mini itx should only be slightly bigger than this shit.

vertical MoBo with vertical GPU ? I'm in
>deepcool genome
Still don't understand the shitty frontal but who cares ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

not a mini itx case fuck off.

Welp. the reason why I got my Aerocool DS Cube (exactly same chassis as OP, different outer shell) was precisely to avoid GPU sagging. I've seen so many obviously tilted GPUs and straight up ripped-off PCIe ports that I'm chronically afraid of it.

I never said this is a Mini-ITX case, because it's a μATX case you numbnut

It's one of the worst layouts if you care about footprint.

In a case like this, I have a core 9x, I can take the motherboard tray out completely, so honestly, its as easy to install everything in the case as it outside of the case

I've done two builds in cases like these, one in a Silverstone sg11b, which was a fucking nightmare.
Its a matx case but it was definitely still "large shoebox" size. Lots of vents, but it was too low.
There's two mounts for 80mm exhaust fans above where the gpu goes.
But if you have a gpu in there only one fan fits, even with a slim one the second 45° mount can't fit a fan.
The psu was right over the cooler and there's no vents above the psu so you can't flip it, meaning you have the cpu cooler fan and the psu fan sucking air from the same spot, starving both.
With a bequiet shadowrock lp I had 7mm of space between them.
It was also not worth the 80$ I paid in terms of build quality, the metal edges were sharp, internally not painted, no cable management possible whatsoever, and the cover for it all was fucking impossible to fit over the frame correctly.

A much better one was my sisters little Athlon 5350 + 750ti build in a cooler master elite 110.
That Is a good mitx case. Psu can be flipped, ample room above it, room above the gpu, plenty of space for the cooler.
Only downside was drive placement, but with a single 2.5" ssd that was also easy peasy. It even has room for a 120mm AIO with full width fans.
And its definitely small. The psu sticks out the back about 3/4 of an inch so there's room inside for even non modular power supplies.

but thats just a wide matx tower

The point is that the motherboard tray is horizontal mate.

case is cringey as fuck

>I cannot think of any downsides to this

Box has to be as wide as the board

>Less PCI slot stress from heavy GPUs
That's why you screy your GPU into the PCI slots in the back of the case.

Honestly, there actually are a lot of ITX cases that are horizontal, corsair, thermaltake, case labs, Antek, and Lian Li, are just a few manufacturers that have one that I can think of off the top of my head

>That's why you screy your GPU into the PCI slots in the back of the case.
Hasn't been helping with some of the new 1080Ti coolers, they sag regardless, those coolers are yuge.

The case will be wider, sure, but so what? The total volume of the case will not be affected provided the manufacturer does not waste space inside.

case is still fucking massive

why even bother with smaller boards when shit's barely smaller than an ATX design anyway

Wouldn't the heatsink on the CPU be a massive issue on a horizontal motherboard? I dunno why I can just see that causing problems in terms of space and working around it.

It won't make a difference in any way

And it would still operate to full capacity?

This case is just an example, I never used this particular case but just looked for an image illustrating a horizontal motherboard.

Pic related is one of the cases I worked with and liked.

It's just as much in the way as it would be in any other case, so no disadvantage there.

Yep

Then that could be said for any orientation

The Ncase M1 is only 12 liters in space and utilizes a vertical board layout while the Corsair 250D is 27 liters with a horizontal layout.

So I don't really see your point where vertical v.
Horizontal affects the footprint of the case.

Hell, the Silverstone FT03 mini is vertical and is only 17 liters, and it's shaped like a little rectangle, and still has a slim optical drive mounting option.

I also own that case. They made some pretty smart design choices with it. Though, it's still pretty big at 22 liters, they could have easily had an optical mount option for it.

I don't really understand how that could be. Could you explain a scenario that might be an issue?

Not trying to call you out or be a dick. I just don't understand.

you remove the psu screws and move it out of the way if it doesn't have a removable tray

The point is that the motherboard is not stressed so much from a heavy heatsink or pcie cards.

How about a horizontal motherboard and a horizontal GPU?

But it's mini ITX, it shouldn't even have extra heavy coolers or gpus in the first place

does it float

no

I've done one mitx Cooltek w1 and one matx lian li. The w1 is almost as big as w2 which can take eatx board. Not good even though I liked it. The lian li on the other hand was genius. The case was separated into two compartments and mobo was in the lower one. PSU was on top of pci-cards. Almost as small matx case as could be and still take full sized components.

It really does not matter, you never, see a mobo be put under so much stress that it snaps or ceases for function because of it, it's solving an issue that doesn't exist. The only reason why non-standard layouts exist is because it might look better.