Will Linux ever be good?

Will Linux ever be good?

Other urls found in this thread:

id-just-like-to-interject-for-a-moment-what-youre-referring.to-as-linux-is-in-fact-gnu-linux-or-as-ive-recently-taken-to.calling-it-gnu-plus-linux-linux-is-not-an-operating-system-unto.itself-but-rather-another-free-component-of-a-fully-functioning.gq/gnu-system-made-useful-by-the-gnu-corelibs/shell-utilities-and-vital-system-components-comprising-a/full-os-as-defined-by-posix-many-computer-users-run-a/modified-version-of-the-gnu-system-every-day-without/realizing-it-through-a-peculiar-turn-of-events-the-version/of-gnu-which-is-widely-used-today-is-often-called-linux/and-many-of-its-users-are-not-aware-that-it-is-basically-the/gnu-system-developed-by-the-gnu-project-there-really-is-a/linux-and-these-people-are-using-it-but-it-is-just-a-part-of/the-system-they-use-linux-is-the-kernel-the-program-in-the/system-that-allocates-the-machines-resources-to-the-other/programs-that-you-run-the-kernel-is-an-essential-part-of-an/operating-system-but-useless-by-itself-it-can-only-function/in-the-context-of-a-complete-operating-system-linux-is/normally-used-in-combination-with-the-gnu-operating-system/the-whole-system-is-basically-gnu-with-linux-added-or-gnu/linux-all-the-so-called-linux-distributions-are-really/distributions-of-gnu-linux/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what's wrong with it

install ubuntu

No

>DirectX

>Vulkan literally performing as well as DX 12 and being cross-platform
>video games are for children

Nothing wrong with it! To edit images, you have the great Gimp application. And there's always Wine if you need Windows application... 90% might work without errors. Most drivers won't work either but you'll feel special.

>Will Linux ever be good?
No unless some company makes a professional distribution that isn't bloated, is indipendent and usable on the majority of systems without tweaking around
The fact that nearly all distributions are free to download is the only thing that keeps Gnu/Linux alive
The only distros that come close to being "good" are Mint, fedora and maybe Solus

Good Linux is called BSD.

Soon

stop shilling pooinloo os

In it's current form, and as a desktop OS -- no.

It's brilliant as a server os, but when used day to day the amount of rubbish that is layered on top of it just to make things work just makes the user experience a bit less fluent.

have you even tried Linux or do you think it's some cli interface that can't even run mp3 files
drivers work fine and Linux supports more hardware than Windows

>the amount of rubbish that is layered on top of it just to make things work just makes the user experience a bit less fluent.

That's what I'd call Windows

>the amount of rubbish that is layered on top of it just to make things work just makes the user experience a bit less fluent.

This, and is also why chromebooks are such a hit compared to regular amateur-hour dog shit the GNU/Linux desktop.

>video games are for children
Not an argument.

Yes, I've been using it for years as a server operating system, which it's perfect for. Any implementation of a GUI feels tacked on and hacky.

Also helps if I reply to the right person. See:

That's because any implementation of a GUI is tacked on and hacky.

Linux kernel devs literally refuse to allow a lot of shit necessary for competent desktop UX and chase away anyone who tries. Google the ck kernel patches and why the dev eventually noped the fuck out, for example.

i like lienuks
lienuks werks 4 me

how can you use gnome?
oh that's right the other opensuse variant is KDE

pic related
i use gnome because it werks with my exotic s-video tv monitor and vga monitor

and dis 2
very nice lienuks distro

because you habe to pay to dl w10 right?
oh no, you dont you can just use it witout activwting it and then install some watermark removal shitty tool voilĂ 

Nothing will change until some big name decide to put all the shit together, focus on clear goals, quailty control and forget about the useless "community". Something like android but on desktop.

>mint is good
mint is horribly maintained, they repackage and rename packages from the ubuntu base while using half of their repositories. they constantly break dependencies and many other things. the only reason this distro exists is because of cinnamon, which started good but is basically yet another shitty gnome 3 with tons of bugs.

>solus
package manager sources are written in XML switched from no base to debian

fucking joke, ya'll fa/g/gots only like it because of the edgy budgie desktop

then go have a look at suse enterprise desktop

>I'm such a bootlicking faggot I need a higher authority to tell me what's good otherwise I'm lost like a retarded child in the fog

mkay

It's good for a hobby.

>Linux desktop

Linux is already good for specialized task if you know what you're doing. Now a real breakthrough would be retard friendly UI.

Blatant lies

id-just-like-to-interject-for-a-moment-what-youre-referring.to-as-linux-is-in-fact-gnu-linux-or-as-ive-recently-taken-to.calling-it-gnu-plus-linux-linux-is-not-an-operating-system-unto.itself-but-rather-another-free-component-of-a-fully-functioning.gq/gnu-system-made-useful-by-the-gnu-corelibs/shell-utilities-and-vital-system-components-comprising-a/full-os-as-defined-by-posix-many-computer-users-run-a/modified-version-of-the-gnu-system-every-day-without/realizing-it-through-a-peculiar-turn-of-events-the-version/of-gnu-which-is-widely-used-today-is-often-called-linux/and-many-of-its-users-are-not-aware-that-it-is-basically-the/gnu-system-developed-by-the-gnu-project-there-really-is-a/linux-and-these-people-are-using-it-but-it-is-just-a-part-of/the-system-they-use-linux-is-the-kernel-the-program-in-the/system-that-allocates-the-machines-resources-to-the-other/programs-that-you-run-the-kernel-is-an-essential-part-of-an/operating-system-but-useless-by-itself-it-can-only-function/in-the-context-of-a-complete-operating-system-linux-is/normally-used-in-combination-with-the-gnu-operating-system/the-whole-system-is-basically-gnu-with-linux-added-or-gnu/linux-all-the-so-called-linux-distributions-are-really/distributions-of-gnu-linux/

They can't even get text scaling to usable levels on Wine so I just left trying them after using 15 or so distros.

Stop shilling garbage.

What is Manjaro

>distros that automatically install des
into the trash hehe

Been running Kali for a few weeks, dual booting with Windows 10. It's nice a peaceful, fully locked down. Booted into Windows 10 the other day and immediately got hit by adverts and several pop-ups telling me to download updates. It was like walking into Times Square.

Never went back.

The problem is that the developer communities are forgetting their userbase. The users want linux (it's customizability for more skilled persons). But a very uncomplicated and reliable environment. It has to be working for the end user.

tl;dr They have to get feedback from users and they have to do usability expirements.

to your information: Microsoft,apple and google products are so popular because they are easy to deal with. It's the featurefull and clever simplicity which makes it powerfull

Server (Text mode), what do you think that is? Some fancy GUI?

Good luck friend your going to need it

>It's the featurefull and clever simplicity which makes it powerfull
We need more buzzwords

How would you say it? English isn't my first language, sorry

Dumbing down. No, I don't share your opinion that this was an improvement

>video games
what the fuck are you even doing on linux lol the ability to play video games that aren't even made for linux does not make an operating system good or bad you fucking loser lol just kys

>kali
are you a hacker :^)

>retard-friendly UI
I don't think it gets more dumbed-down than GNOME 3

>the amount of rubbish that is layered on top
you literally just described Windows lol you never even used Linux be honest. It is a breeze to use and maintain. The only, only ONLY problem is that you have to jump through hoops to run programs that aren't even made for linux in the first place, so that's not even the fault of linux.

yes it is man you man child

No manual entry for child

Kali is the most miserable piece of shit distro imaginable, almost everything is always broken. It hasn't been good since backtrack, also you are definitely not using all the tools on kali which ends up just being more bloat. Why don't you just install Debian and then the tools that you actually use?

Ok I chuckled, you can play your games

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>everything is always broken
Is this the state of Kali in 2017? I tried it in 2015 and again in 2016, everything seemed to just work

>you are definitely not using all the tools on kali
I agree, most people who install Kali are just kids trying to get leet hacker cred but don't even understand what most of the tools do. Better off just getting debian or something and only installing the tools you need

i kind of expected this to happen, although I do not regret my choice of words

sudo touch children

Linux is good for light and hardcore PC users. People who just want to surf the web and people who want complete control over their system. Hell, my grandma uses Linux.

It won't become mainstream until more schools and businesses use it for their desktops.

Have to use it for my PenTesting class and it almost never works, the repos are almost always messed up and require using the retired repos.

Gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix gnu not unix