TV shopping

What are some specs I should look for in shopping for TVs in 2017? Are OLEDs worth it?

Is there any TV designed where the pixels actually shut off or dim during dark scenes? With my current old LCD TV, if you put a solid black background on display, it's backlit and looks shitty and gray. There's gotta be a TV out there that actually turns off the individual pixels if a solid black color is displayed, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100160979 600416631
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's exactly the point of OLED.

Alright, I thought that might be the case. Are there any other technologies along with OLED I should look for? I'm probably just going to go with a Samsung because I've always liked their picture quality over the years.

Also, I heard there's a new technology called QLED thats supposed to be better than OLED....the TVs seem to be very expensive though.

Shit, looks like Samsung doesn't even make OLEDs....they only make the expensive QLEDs...what are some good brand OLEDs?

QLEDs are developed as the alternatives to OLEDs. Currently not worth buying since the blacks are still not that good.

OP whatever you do never in your life buy Samsung or LG. Do yourself a favor and just go with Sony. The newest Bravia OLED will be a television you can't go wrong with.

I own 2 samsung tvs, they are great for low end. Cheap led smart tv in 4k, i like them. Not sure what the higher end models are like

> What are some specs I should look for in shopping for TVs in 2017
focus only on the display. all the other features are 20 bucks or less components, like receivers and wifi antennas, it's basically bullshit

Yes, they are called "LED dimming zones" Where the backlight for that are physically turns off.

The more local dimming zones the better. Most base Vizio TV's that advertise it have some like 10-16 local dimming zones.

It works OK but honestly youd need a much higher number to really have an impact on a typical picture. If like half the screen is black than even the TV with 10 local dimming zones will look stellar but that's usually not the case.

My smart tv can play 4k movie from a usb 3.0 and my pc with a fx6300 and a 970 shits itself on a 7gig 4k file. But for high end you should just buy external equipment

Yes, this is Sup Forums tech support, how can I help?

>fx6300 and a 970 shits itself on a 7gig 4k file
windows fag

TVs are by default shitty consumer monitors with a tv tuner, numerious post-processing filters, simulated overscan and nowadays an insecure cloud based operating system.
What you want is a proper monitor at whatever specs you want and a HTPC.

Dude a monitor is just a small TV wtf you talking about lmao

LG is great, don't listen to the brand name faggot above. Go with an LG OLED TV and you'll be set.

Hi yes my S8 won't turn on wat do?

my fx6300 and gtx760 have no problems playing 4k video

Read the whole post, child. TV's basically have a bloat problem. All the filtering and extra shit adds lag on the output, and let's not even talk about how shitty the "smart" features are.

Computer monitors do not have this problem.

it should be that way but it isn't.
tv's universally have low specs compared to computer monitors. They also often have components computer monitors dont have, like speakers, tv tuner cards, and "smart tv" modules, and a IR remote and IR sensors, and an array of AV hookups that aren't available on many PC's like RCA and optical jacks.

You really have to go way out of your way to buy a TV with a high refresh rate, which is in my opinion the most heinous of shortcomings of TV's

Get a sony PVM you newage scrubshit.

no problems here.

pretty sure he's trying to play it on vlc
so it's locked to 1 core

also gpu acceleration is not always enabled on by default on codec codecs or vlc

under $500 OLED TVs/monitors when?

Okay but link me to a 55 inch "monitor" go to newegg the biggest are like 35-37", they're called TVs when they're bigger than 40 inches

they have a whole section for this, dude

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100160979 600416631

VA has the best contrast ratio of LCDs