Fingerprint sensor placement

God Tier: Front of the phone
Wake the phone and have it unlock using one finger. Able to unlock it while it's laying on a desk or in a dock without picking it up.

Decent Tier: Side of the phone
Wake and unlock with one finger. Still able to unlock without picking phone up, but not as easily.

Shit Tier: Back of the phone
Use one finger to wake the phone and another to unlock (some have the back sensor wake the phone as well to negate this issue). Must pick up the device to unlock it. Extremely inconvenient in certain situations and just annoying in most others.

>fingerprint sensors

>fingerprint sensors

>Shit Tier: Back of the phone
Trolling this hard

God tier: below number keys

Refute it.

Elder God tier: on the bezel of the screen so you can use it on tablet mode

I agree, front is the most practical for the majority of use cases.

I guess some manufacturers are putting it on the back because it's cheaper (more space = less precise engineering required).

Just put in a password, retard

>Back of the phone
>Use one finger to wake the phone and another to unlock

this is how I know you've never used one

I said some aren't like that. Some are though.

>using a fingerprint as a password
lol

Are fingerprint sensors really secure? I unlocked my gfs phone using her thumb while she was sleeping lmao
L33T H4X0R

side is best unlock the phone as you pick it up in your natural grip

front because then you can unlock it fast if it lays on the table

God tier should be anywhere on the entire screen of the front of the phone.

Protip: if you ever get /fucko/'d, they can force you to unlock your phone with your fingerprint. Use a password instead.

Good thing my phone is encrypted and needs a PIN to turn it on if it's rebooted.

>using a fingerprint reader at all for any reason
>what are you, fucking stupid or something

There are only two tiers of fingerprint sensor placement
God-tier: phone doesn't have one
Shit-tier: phone has one anywhere

I got my first phone with a fingerprint sensor a few days ago. Finger prints are not protected by the fifth amendment (at least the eqivalent here in Germany). Why would I allow cops to unlock my phone if they snitch it from me?

Same goes for the US. The main reason I don't use one though is my coworker telling me about how she'd unlock her boyfriend's iPhone with his thumb while he was sleeping and go through his shit

I've never seen a phone that doesn't wake with the fingerprint sensor, back is the best

If I had a girlfriend [spoiler]I don't[/spoiler], I wouldn't mind telling her my pass code or saving her finger prints. It's just convenient to use your partner's phone.

If mine even tried I wouldn't have a girlfriend anymore.

Even if you consent?
Imagine you're driving and she's like "Lemme check if there's a car park nearby. Oh damn, my battery died, can I use your phone?"

>back is the best
how? Back seems to be the worst. The only advantage it has is it's slightly more ergonomic maybe? I've owned both front and back designs and there's no ergonomic difference to me. Not being able to unlock my phone on the desk is what kills rear placed scanners for me.

Not same guy but this happens to me sometimes and she can't even use my phone if it's unlocked because she isn't used to the layout or whatever since it's not her phone.
>tfw my gf is useless at backing me up for anything
She wouldn't find a place to park if it was her phone anyway.

I can invoke google while my phone is locked through my watch (top sekrit tasker technique, not possible to find it in the UI) so there's a workaround if I need it. It won't unlock the phone tho, my privacy is protected:^) Tasker is preddy gud.

Of course not, I'd unlock my phone and open BlackBerry Maps for her

> Unlock my phone on the desk
Yes and for the 99% that you don't it works more ergonomical as you can grab the phone from the most convenient way out of your pocket and unlock it before even looking at the screen.

>Elder god tier: embedded under the screen

Yup little doubt who was using the phone, can't even say someone took it.

>my phone spends more time on a table than in my pocket
Are you are teenage girl?

Except I unlock the phone on my desk all the time. Also I use a phone dock on my bike sometimes which mostly blocks the back of the phone.

No I just leave my phone on my desk when I'm working. That way if I get a notification I can see and open it immediately (or ignore it) without having to take it out of my pocket or pick it up.

This will be the best once they get the tech right.

>having the phone in your pocket at all times

I have some bad news for you...

Or your notifications go directly to your desktop

>I have some bad news for you...
It's okay, I didn't buy lost phone insurance because I don't forget my phone on random tables, so I'm not wasting any money. Either it's in my pocket, or it's in my hand, already unlocked due to superior sensor placement.

Shite tier: front of the phone. Means it has to have massive iPhone style bezels

Also shit tier: side of the phone. Means you can't have a proper full size sensor, just a shitty narrow one that you have to swipe and never works properly

Good tier: back of the phone. Where your finger comes to rest naturally when you lock the phone, just as shown in OP's pic related

It's called airplane mode.

Also if you were referring to ba cancer or such thing, I doubt it would actually cause it, even over time.

Basically everyone on the street has these things in their pockets, people are not quite affected by these signals, otherwise they'd be banned.

Except I'm not always working at a computer and only a few of my notifications go to my work computer anyway. Also you totally ignored the other scenario I put forward.
Constantly having to work around a design instead of having one that works in every scenario is a clear sign it's a shit design.
It's okay if you have a phone with the sensor on the back. I know people can get defensive when they've bought a product with a design flaw, but constantly having to find work arounds does not make the design better.

Once fingerprint sensors that work from under the display become a reality rear placed sensors will be relegated to budget phones.

>god tier back of phone is e ink display with front and rear fingerprint

I lay my phone face down on my desk. I rarely have it face up.

Why the fuck?

How do you see your notification LED?

>not using glorious face recognition.

this thread shows how mad you are OP.

>constantly having to find work arounds does not make the design better.
I don't need to find workarounds though, because I don't leave my phone lying on a desk. Your bike mount issue sounds like a problem with the mount design. If your mount covered the front home button instead, you'd be complaining about having a home button sensor.

Plus, the only reason I use a phone when biking is for navigation, and the phone is kept unlocked the entire time so that's a non-issue. I don't feel a need to constantly check messages or facebook while biking, or whatever it is you do.

>Your bike mount issue sounds like a problem with the mount design.

Having the sensor on the back is less convenient even if the mount didn't block the back of the phone because you'd have to reach around to the back of the phone if you wanted to unlock it. This applies to all mounts and docks.

Can you name one scenario where having the sensor on the back of the phone is more convenient? My phone has a sensor on the front and I can pull it out of my pocket and have it unlocked before it's even in front of my eyes no problem, ergonomics is not an issue.

You've given no scenarios where having the sensor on the back is significantly advantageous and I've given several where having it on the front is.

GF has an iP6s and I have a N5x, back placement is significantly better.

I literally don't even have to worry about unlocking it, as my finger automatically goes there anyways.

Nice try user but it's not *my* fingerprint

Not a CIA nigger tier: Non-existent

>Reach into pocket to grab phone.
>Finger already on the sensor to unlock.

Yeah it sure is shit tier lmao.

>cop wants to go through your phone
>he touches your finger to the sensor and goes through it
It certainly is.

This applies to every option up there though.

The finger placement is natural. You have to bend your thumb to the bottom of the phone if you want to unlock a front one.

Not a problem. You do that constantly while using the phone anyway.

It's a problem because you can easily drop your iPhone because of the awkward sensor placement, which is planned obsolescence.

When your oppossable thumb isn't in use to grip your phone you are essentially balancing the device instead of gripping it. A nudge to the elbow and you can kiss your glass goodbye.

>When your oppossable thumb isn't in use to grip your phone you are essentially balancing the device instead of gripping it.

What finger do you use to interface with your phone if you're using your thumb to grip it?

I place my phone on the table and use my middle finger or use both hands.

I have one hand on it mostly when I pull it from my pocket or am using voice commands.

How do you unlock it when it's on the table then?

Didn't know what that was for

I can either pick it up and unlock it or just say...
"Ok, Google."

>tablet mode

Sounds annoying.

If I put my phone on a table to use it its already gonna be unlocked, it was a dumb question lol.

>Can you name one scenario where having the sensor on the back of the phone is more convenient?
You don't need a flat bezel == more screen space. In order for a front sensor to be easy to reach, you need both small hands and a small phone, otherwise you need to contort your thumb to reach it. Therefore using a back sensor allows you to comfortably manufacture/use larger phones with larger screens. Back sensors are ergonomically easy to reach for all hand sizes and phone sizes.

The front sensor is only convenient when you're not actually holding the phone in your hand, i.e. laying on a table or mounted somewhere.

>BlackBerry
>Girlfriend
Stop lying.

I don't see what my cellphone's brand has to do with my ability to have a girlfriend. It's actually been a conversation starter with qts a few times.