Why did BSD never catch on?

Why did BSD never catch on?

Other urls found in this thread:

copyfree.org
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Legal issues and such at the outset, then linux just already had the momentum.

Sort of the same story as with KDE/Qt.

Because nobody wants to use an OS named after a dubious sex practice

GNU/Linux is way better.

Because it isn't as good, comparatively.

It's too good. And m'gnu

The same reason linux never did

TrueOS is great, no issues ever like most linux users have to deal with daily. Security is also way better than your average Linux distro, only real issue is hardware adoption can be slower.

False

True

Thread's over, the shitposter found it.

As if gnu+linux has never had legal issues.
>SCO
>M$ nonstop patent trolling.

>he doesn't filter tripfags

I filter most of the dumbass tripfaggots, beawesome's an exception though because he can be hilariously retarded.

I'm glad you are able to reach full cathartic release, most people can't and stay in a triggered blue balls cuckland.

But it did and is likely the most popular OS out there. Apple can throw their own names overtop of it all they want but deep down it's still BSD at the core.

will it ever stop looking ugly though

does it still rely on a *box wm

How is that ugly? It looks better than most Linux DE's that people use.

It did. You might be comparing it to Linux too much, but don't worry, only autistic people use Linux.

Meanwhile BSD is on every Mac and iPhone and iPad, running on fucktons of misc. devices, both the PS4 and Nintendo Switch, the list goes on.

what

GNOME 3 may function like fucking garbage but at least it looks nice

i'll just stick to cwm

tfw your watch runs BSD

But Lumina does look nice and functions properly.

>cwm
you basically don't even have anything to see, your idea of beautiful is retarded.

exactly, i don't have anything to see therefore nothing's really ugly

That happened after well after Linux became ubiquitous in the unix-like space.

>and such
Yes, developers gone full retard.

keks

If i use ssh on ubuntu would you call it openbsd? Absurd.

This looks horribly outdated with glossed KDE3 candy, do the developers realize this? There is Gnome 3 for FreeBSD.

wat

Darwin is literally a fork of FreeBSD, and major parts of the OS are either straight up BSD software or forks of it, and powers iOS and macOS. Nintendo Switch and PS4 also use forks of FreeBSD.

OS X and iOS actually are BSD based though

And how does it affect any BSD user aside imaginary victory? Nothing? Then OSX isn't BSD that mouch.

>OS X is BSD based
>yeah b-but that doesn't really matter
Still BSD based, you little shit.

BSD is in your playstation and on many media centers

OSX isn't BSD you little snot.

>many media centers
For example?

See

>it's still BSD at the core
No, it's not.
At the core it's an unholy splice of some BSD code, early monolithic version of Mach, original NeXT code, original Apple code, some FreeBSD, and God knows what else.
It has *parts* of several different versions of BSD, but to call it a BSD is, frankly, an insult to BSD.

OSX didn't changed anything since 1997? It's just some part of the kernel and userspace, a standalone ecosystem.

Of course it has, just look at 2001-2004, they updated the BSD stuff to FreeBSD components and have been updating with FreeBSD components ever since.

filtered

This

>not signing up to BSDMail

>If i use ssh on ubuntu would you call it openbsd? Absurd.
no but you would have to call it GNU/Linux/OpenBSD

Playstation Apple etc don't use BSD code because it's good. They use it because they don't want to share the code.
If you can't look at the code, is it open source anymore? Is it BSD anymore?

Where's the rule that says it needs to be open source to be BSD?

if it's not in the bsd license, it's probably what they mean by the free in freebsd or the open in openbsd.

It doesn't have to be BSD licensed to be a BSD OS. OpenBSD, for example, generally uses the ISC license.

How is security better than GNU/Linux?

All I see in regards to FreeBSD security is constant exploits? OpenBSD on the other hand is a different story, but OpenBSD is maintained by such a small pool of developers and doesn't have much software available.

>What are ports

Explain to me how ports make the OS more secure, does downloading software through ports magically configure MAC? Does using ports magically sandbox internet facing applications?

this fuck again

The security is worse than Windows.

it's for server applications.

>Darwin is literally a fork of FreeBSD, and major parts of the OS are either straight up BSD software or forks of it
don't mind me just "forking" more BSD code

>here have this
>LOL I'M STEALING IT
literally your argument

Does something about a secure OS anger you?

nah, someone posting about MACs for 2 years does

>Use BSD license
Companies steal code, closes it off and tells you to fuck yourself

>BSD User-Developer experience
Literally get hacked by own Project leader

>Placebo security
Un-audited ports, Nothing else runs in BSD without ports

>Compatibility
Some BSD cannot even have non-free codec packs. Not many proprietary software and drivers run on *BSD, specially OpenBSD. Many Realtek and Broadcom devices will never run because of its non-free only drivers.

>NO active development
Except for PC-BSD, there is no live *BSD desktop. OpenBackdoor removed Linux compatibility AND WINE. BSD market share is not rising.

>Less softwares than Linux
Cannot even perform Vt-d virtualization on windows guests. (Good for nothing). Behyve is miles behind KVM/QEMU.

>Community
Non-existent.
Few buttflustered autists that mostly comprise of mactoddlers (OSX is BSD :-DDDDDD).
FreeBSD is actually getting better though. I hope PC-BSD catches on but their primary goal is to fight own BSD counterparts' autistic community.

What do you have against MAC? I personally don't use it on any of my desktop systems but at work I have to manage SELinux across all of our production systems, checking the logs shows you how much it stops.

i have nothing against MACs, i have a thing against retarded useless fucks like you who think it's the only solution

it did
get off your desktop pc and go to bed kiddo

What is your solution?

having a system that no one shuts off without 5 minutes of usage because it's annoying

Holy hostility batman

>shit support
>cuck license
>backdoors
>no games
>toxic community
>known to scam people into becoming betatesters

How 'bout no

>checking the logs shows you how much it stops.
And 99.9999% of the time, it's stopping something benign, or worse, something that you need in order to work.

yes i'm hostile to the cancers that kill Sup Forums by posting the same inane shit every minute

i guess he'd rather have desktop threads

>le ebin cuck meme
This is an 18+ website.

Not the guy, but you don't know what you're talking about. Idiot.

>backdoors
>scamming

Citation needed

>cuck license

BSD is the most objectively free license, deal w/ it faggot.

is that why red hat has a presentation where they beg you to not turn off SELinux?

Is the freebsd autist still on the loose.

>no drivers
good luck getting your printer to work

>lack of packages
doesn't even have Docker LOL

>no good documentation
even Arch has better docs

>fragmented ecosystem
FreeBSD? OpenBSD? UHHHHH?

yes

so is the ebin "theo hacks keyboards xD" guy

>almost no one directly replies to him
>he keeps going
lmao

>>no good documentation

that wasn't my experience. I was really impressed with FreeBSD documentation.

I've never used SELinux but Apparmor is the same thing with a much smaller learning curve. The protection it provides is invaluable for servers, for desktops standard UNIX DAC is fine.

Never having dealt much with BSD personally but puzzling together from what I understand from others I think if suffers a bit from sitting on the fence in terms of design. It appears, from what I've been told, unixier than GNU, but still far from P9. However, I am afraid that (since everything touching that topic rapidly approaches religious territory) there is just no place in this world for a middle ground such as this, considering GNU had a head start for various reasons.

>so is the ebin "theo hacks keyboards xD" guy
Don't forget the OpenBSD backdoors, neither of which were proven. When asked to prove it they'll ask you to prove there isn't even tough burden of proof is on the accuser.

>the most objectively free license
you say that like there is a canonical interpretation of "free". Well, there is one close to that (>>>/fsf/) but that would disagree, so you cannot possibly mean that. If you mean the colloquial meaning to "free" you'd be better off with the WTFPL.

it's funny because every time this happens he goes "well they found bugs and mysteriously patched them, owned" as if we can't see the CVS commits

don't forget that apparently openbsd wasn't in the vault 7 leaks but there's plenty of NSA exploits for freebsd

copyfree.org

You're welcome. Enjoy you're are freedumbs.

the fucking FSF approves BSD licenses except for the very first one

also freetards are like the muslims of the software world

>good luck getting your printer to work
What is CUPS?

Why when I install desktopBSD pkg command doesn't work? I barely know BSD BTW

desktopBSD is a fork of freebsd that's dead and old

Wow you live a sad life. Every time I come on here and there's a *BSD thread you're shitposting in it, never learning anything. Holy shit I feel sorry for you.

Ohhhh, I see - I wanna know BSD but I cannot get it to install anything or even X + KDM + LXDE - why being 24/7 in text mode? Debian isn't that great

Being capable of defining a (probably) logically consistent framework of ideas and definitions does not make them canonical. That aside, they explicitly never claim their definition of "copyfree" to be synonymous with "free". It's just yet another flavor of a permissive free software license, with yet other focus on other things. Not that the GPL is special, either.

You won't see me saying something mean spirited against the BSD license. Yet I would consider myself as someone who tries to take "freetard" matters to heart.

try PC-BSD

Dat copypasta tho. On a more serious note... Nah, still lol.

two choices

you get freebsd and use pkg to install whatever DE you want

you can also get openbsd, which comes with X by default

don't listen to him

that's my problem, when I use pkg it says it is non existing - only ghostBSD worked well

he's right. don't listen to me.

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html

Sup Forums has officially gone full retard. I'm done with this cancer of a website, over 90% of the people here simply reiterate what they hear from random people in the FOSS community, have no brain for themselves and aren't capable of writing a single line of sensible code. Fuck this. Goodbye.

How do I run Firefox as a different user in FreeBSD? I normally use firejail in GNU/Linux but that uses seccomp which isn't available in the BSD's.

Goodbye, friend. :)

see you tomorrow, drama queen.
What did you expect.

why not try and set up a regular BSD jail?

if all it does is literally run a program as a different user you could always write a script that substitutes users and runs firefox

also i wonder how this could be handled by capsicum/pledge, the BSD equivalents of seccomp