I transported my pc and now it wont turn on properly, it just gets stuck on a black screen with a blinking underscore...

I transported my pc and now it wont turn on properly, it just gets stuck on a black screen with a blinking underscore. What do?

Install Gentoo

Something probably jostled loose. Unplug everything, disconnect all parts and reseat them.

Got any experience installing computer hardware i.e. hdd?
If so check how your boot drive is doing physically.

Are you sure you don't get anything before your blinking underscore i.e. the menu that's there for a couple seconds that you can press a button to get into the bios of your motherboard?

unplug the cables that go into the 4 x 6 x 1 rectangular prism and plug them back in

I get a motherboard logo, and then the blinking meme. I have no experience, my cousin installed the pc. But now i moved countries and the pc wont start right.

Can you find a pic of it? Also my insides.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

You see the yellow cable that's unplugged that should probably be plugged in.

Look for what it's connected too, if it's not already connected to the power supply plug it in.

Sounds like you could also use a Jucero. All natural Juice by Jucero pressed by a 5 ton mechanical press to ensure you receive all the nutrients a professional businesswoman like yourself need for an active life style. Act now and purchase the Jucero for $400.00, a steal at the original price of $700.00

Oh and when that motherboard logo comes up you should be able to press a key at that moment to access the bios.

You might need to use this later, if plugging in that cable doesn't work.

I have no clue where to plug in that cable... im so noob

Doesnt look like it has a destination. I remember my cousin leaving some cables unplugged..

If it's getting through bios boot, video card is working. Probably hard drive disconnected that it's trying to boot from after that. Check the hard drive power and data cables.

Oh sorry, your power supply is a non modular one, yes that is a unused cable.

It sounds like a drive issue overall so I suggest checking the cabling around the drives.

Otherwise you'll need to go into your bios and see if the drives are detected.

Forget that image it's irrelevent

Which one is it?

Think im in bois! What am i doing? Where do i check the hds?

turn your camera the other way up dude. Also if you hit F11 on that screen, it will give you a list of all the hard disks your computer detects.

Go to the H/W monitor so I can see what your motherboard can see i.e. HDD, graphics card..

This method is better, do this.

F11 and nothing happens... heres my h/w screen

I swear to god this phone...

Ah okay that was less than I expected, when user said F11 he meant on the first screen, the one you pressed DEL or F2 on to get to the bios.

F11 on first screen

This.

Here

Will it boot from a flash drive? If it does, then check the hard drive connection.

How can i do check. Im very bad at pc

ok, now unplug the hard disk and reboot back into this screen. If the hard disk is working, one of those will disappear.

Ah ok we now can see which drives are connected.

ocz-vertex4 = likley your boot drive, i suggest clicking it.

ST3500418AS = your main file storage most likely.

Ignore the other that is a disk reader.

Right, but my windows is on an ssd? Does that matter? Should i unplug the ssd rather?

>australian user troubleshoots his PC

yes, unplug that one then, or try as says

troll

Right, pressed the ocz, whixh is my flash drive, booted like usual, now on my desktop, but now this appeared. Also, will i have to boot my pc through bios from now on? Thats not cool

Dude, im just really bad at this stuff...

You might, there's only one way to check.
If so then you'll likely have to set it as the boot drive in the bios again.

At least it boots though.

Restared pc, back at the blinking underscore. But i can get it to work by booting from bios. What should i do now?

This is the first one,

you need to set the default boot drive to your SSD, go back into bios

Second. I dont even have an option tocselect my ocz... it went from working fine to this crap after a bus ride...

look in hard drive BBS properties

Ok think i set it up. Booted fine. Why would this happen tho? Is it cuz the flash got plugged out during the ride, but i started my pc up like usual, so the required drive went missing and the options got fucked? Also thank you a whole bunch guys! Works!

hooray for Sup Forums !

It could be that your bios battery was dislodged temporary and hence all the bios settings were wiped.
Bios data is volatile you see so it needs constant power to be sustained.

No problem, glad your systems back to normal again.

whatever happens it seems your bios settings got reset, could have been caused by anything. Could be that your CMOS battery became dislodged or discharged and wiped your bios settings.

Thanks once again!

Does it show a BIOS boot screen (assuming it did before you moved it)?

f2

now we know youre trolling