/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
TWRP released for Samsung Galaxy S8+ Exynos (SM-G955F)
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8 /development/recovery-twrp-galaxy-s8-exynos-t3594756

Lenovo VP Reveals Moto Upcoming Phones Will Come With ZUK’s ZUI
gizmochina.com/2017/04/23/lenovo-vp-reveals-moto-upcoming-phones-will-come-zuk-zui/

Huawei P10 lite review
androidauthority.com/huawei-p10-lite-review-764800/

[AnandTech] First Look: Samsung Galaxy S8
anandtech.com/show/11285/first-look-samsung-galaxy-s8

Galaxy S8 vs. iPhone 7 Camera Shootout: Samsung Has the Edge
tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8-vs-iphone-7-camera,review-4337.html

Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Real Camera Review
youtu.be/NAEVPxQ4MCw

Samsung Galaxy S8 Camera vs LG G6 and Google Pixel
youtube.com/watch?v=WbloTFz2LKY

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GRmY-4HKVIk
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/04/22/samsung-galaxy-s8-review/
ebay.com/itm/Nextbit-Robin-32GB-100GB-Cloud-Factory-Unlocked-5-2-13MP-Android-Smartphone-/152258661534?rmvSB=true
kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/order.usdPrice,order_type.asc
amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00XJBIX24/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am looking for a youtube channel I saw on Sup Forums a few months ago in /spg/

It was just this autist with a monotone voice taking apart new phones/tablets and then trying to put them back together afterwards but usually he would just take them completely apart while talking about the components.

youtube.com/watch?v=GRmY-4HKVIk
this?

Yes thanks man. I have been searching for this guy for months to show a buddy.

Okay boys, need help. Canadian here.

I'm on Rogers. Don't do much special with my phone. Take pictures, watch videos, listen to music, browse the internet, social media, email, etc.

I can get a G6 for $180, an S8 for $250, an S8+ for $320 or a Google Pixel XL 128GB for $480.

These are just the regular prices, and I intend on waiting for a sale on whichever one I choose, but they'll still be discounted the same, so the differences in the base prices are really the most important.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm weary of bootloops on the G6, weary of hardware failure, TouchWiz and Bixby autism on the S8/S8+, and I'm not sure the Pixel is the best value compared to the others.

The Pixel's hardware and software don't worry me in the slightest, it's just that it's pretty expensive compared to the others. If I wait for a sale I'll be able to afford it for sure, but then the sale prices for the others will be even cheaper...

Ideas?

>I can get a G6 for $180, an S8 for $250, an S8+ for $320 or a Google Pixel XL 128GB for $480.

where the everloving fuck are you getting those phones that cheap?

If I want to get the moto g4 from amazon, is any warranty provided?

S8

He's probably on a plan.

Most likely not paying the full price outright

Reposting from last thread for those who are curious about the S8/S8+
This is coming from an iPhone btw
Pros:
>That fucking screen
>camera is just right
>speedy, no stutters (yet)
>great for multimedia
>very fast wifi/cellular
>Face/Iris works well even if there's some sun directly on it
>RAM usage is good
>great battery

Minor gripes:
>fingerprint sensor, but it's actually pretty decent if you're a big guy
>no dual cameras, but those are kinda of a meme
>edge screen can sometimes take a couple of attempts to bring up
>samsung software (not lag, but minor regionalized things)

Cons:
>gyroscope for potrait/landscape is a bit oversensitive
>a bit taller than I would like
>No, i don't want bixby, I want to change the volume

I got a HTC One M9 with 2 year contract through sprint for $1.00

no Im not leasing the phone, it was one of the last 2 year contract phones available before this leasing bullshit all providers use. I got pretty lucky.

This.

My dad has a corporate deal/offer from his job, so we get a discount on a sharing plan (it's a Rogers Share Everything plan, to be specific). Because of this, we not only get a good plan on a reliable, big carrier's network for relatively cheap, but we also get a shitload off of the phones for being on what is otherwise an astronomical plan (regular by Canadian standards). We also pay get a larger discount with each person that joins, so when I switch onto the plan we should get an even larger discount.

Basically, I'm lucky as fuck.

I recently found an iPhone 7.
I have an S8 so didn't think much of it and besides checking with my building's security haven't taken too many steps to return it.
I tried to do a factory reset so I can have it as a spare and now I am stuck on the iCloud activation lock screen. Is there any bypass to this?

Kill yourself, thief.

Pixel XL is best phone pass it on

No you fucking nigger, try to find the owner.

I honestly didn't even realise this was an anti-theft protection.
I definetly didn't steal it and the police in my country won't take the phone all they'll do is report the IMEI and your contact information.
I have had my phone stolen before so wouldn't be passing on negative ju-ju if I could help it

Just give it back to security. Unless my knowledge is outdated, iCloud activation is nearly impossible to get around without switching out the motherboard. Even so, if iCloud doesn't fuck you over, a IMEI carrier blacklist (which will mark the phone as stolen and prevent it from connecting to just any carrier) can and will.

Is there any apps/content that takes advantage of the HDR and/or neat resolution the S8 has?

Yeah might just give to security to hang onto. I found it on a park bench that makes kind of a courtyard with four other blocks so not certain it is someone in my buildings

Pirate some wide screen [>2:1 aspect ratio] movies.

HDR content is pretty slim pickings afaik. I mean, you could find some 10bit movies/shows online (10bit is most commonly found in anime).

In terms of actual, proper 10bit content, you're stuck with 4K/UHD BD rips, if you can find and fit one on your phone.

1440p media isn't really a thing, so you'll have to hope 4K will playback on there.

tl;dr Wait for Netflix/Amazon to update their apps to support HDR, it'll be difficult to find any real HDR content on torrents.

Wow, same here basically.

Yeah, the only method I know of is so expensive and difficult that you might as well just buy a new back up phone if you're that bothered about having one.

Phones aren't really hard to find tho, at least not to bother having a back up for. If you ever need a quick, cheap replacement, you can never go wrong with a Moto G.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is it possible to get the Zuk Z2 lockscreen on LineageOS?
I like how it looks, but prefer not to use a chink rom.

My deal is through No Wires Direct. Yours?

I'm about to switch over from """"unlimited"""" $35 on Wind/Freedom. I would stay if they had better coverage. I live out in the sticks, about 20 minutes outside of a fairly large town. Wind told us they bought a plot and were expanding the network up to us nearly 5 years ago-- still nothing. I doubt they'll ever expand on their old network now they have their newer one, and only a small handful of phones work on it anyways, so I'm probably gonna give up my grandfathered """unlimited""" for Rogers.

Do you think I should keep the Wind plan? I get by just fine with it, it's just that it's kind of shitty value to pay $35 for what's essentially unlimited talk/text with 5GB data (they slow it after 5GB, plus I never use that much anyways) on a shitty network that doesn't even cover my house/neighborhood when I could pay about $60 for unlimited talk/text with maybe 3/4GB of data on the much better Rogers network that actually covers my house.

Not him but I live in the GTA and there are literally dead spots near my block with Freedom. Unlimited data is nice but holy fuck it's so bad, not to mention
>no LTE
No wonder they're so fucking cheap, but then again
>CTRC
>doing shit to the monopoly

>USA
>T-Mobile
>budget around $300
currently have a samsung galaxy s4 and its p much what i want feature-wise (nfc, sd storage, compass and whatever) but its wonky and the battery dies too fast for me. would just be nice to upgrade, never bought my own phone before, all my stuff have been hand-me-downs (luckily?), so this is all new to me

Nokia 5 and 6 will drop price after a while they get released right?

Can anyone tell me if the honor 6x has a superior camera to the huawei p8?

I can get the huawei for 240 and the honor 6x for 260 buckazoids (adjusted for my country).

(In regards to aicp on the zuk z2)
Awesome. This is all working *nearly* perfect. After messing around for an hour or so, my only complaints are the utouch button does not work with gestures anymore(liked sliding right/left to change the active app. The option is in the settings, but it does not work) and the phone can't mount as removable storage, only as a media device. Dunno why android does this, but it annoys me since you can't play files off the phones memory on the PC(it instead loads it into a temp folder on the PC first) and file transfers take like 4x longer.

Moto G4 (2gb RAM, 16gb) with 165€ or Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (3gb RAM, 32gb) with 230€? Is the extra 65€ worth it?

Both are offered nearby with no waiting time and local 2-year warranty (don't have to send them to china), so these are my options. Would appreciate any input regarding value for money.

You guys reckon this is a worthy replacement for the Nexus 6?

there a good ad block for the S8? I'm new to android

>Canada
>Freedom/Wind
>around 200-350 CAD
>Prefer a phone that can run normie shit, >5 inch screen, micro sd slot or above 32 GB storage

>Currently have LG G3
I've had it for about 1.5 years, and now it's started having issues with rebooting when it gets overwhelmed, shitty battery life, can't connect to Wi-fi anymore, and screen flickering.
I've heard it's an issue with the soldering on the mobo so i'm going to try to apply thermal paste on the CPU, and Wi-fi chip to squeeze more time out of it

I was looking at ordering the Moto G5+ internationally, but it doesn't have a notification light (which I like), and it looks like it was made in 2010

Moto z play vs a7 2017, which one has the better camera?

This is embarrassing, but I forgot how to enable landscape home screen with Nova Launcher. Can you guys help me out? This is especially important with my new S8.

Oh, and has a decent battery (at least better than the G3)

Did you steal that S8 too, you fucking nigger

I want a pure android phone in which I do not have to configure root, remove all bloatware.

Price does not matter to me. I live in the USA. Going to go to T-Mobile.

Google Pixel XL 128GB with Device Protection from the Google store or something else? I don't plan on upgrading for awhile so I thought that this device would be good.

Has Samsung improved from their touchwiz garbage?

Look for ZUI Locker on the play store

>tfw miss my comfy z1c
I shouldn't have bought a phablet, why is this the fucking trend now to make phones bigger?

>battery dies too fast for me
Did you try replacing the battery to make sure that wasn't the issue?

the person who had it before me did. twice, maybe? it still seems weak

Well, you could always grab a used GS7.

i thought about that, guess i should stick with what's familiar

under $200 budget
coming from /csg/ people keep shilling for either zuk z2 and redmi note 4
is there any other I should keep an eye on?
or should I pick one of those two?

Pixel or the 3T/upcoming OP5.

You could also grab a moto g5+ which is supposed to be one of the best new phones under $300, or you could get one of the chinkphones always shilled around here.

What are you looking for? Camera? Audio? Updates?

Here again.

Anyone else know how to root the z2 in aicp? I tried installing the SuperSU IMG with TWRP, but it never actually gives me root. When I open the app, it says it needs to update. Neither the TWRP or the other installation option work.

>the phone can't mount as removable storage, only as a media device. Dunno why android does this
Because google decided to switch to MTP for fuck knows what reason.

RN3Pro, CroNigga

Dont know about your shitty phones, but mine has no issues being a removable storage device

That's MTP. You can browse the files on your phone but it's slow. Transfers are slow too. They're talking about mounting the phone as external storage, essentially turning your phone into an SD card reader. This is how Android used to work, but Google changed it so you didn't have to unmount the SD card from the phone before accessing it from a PC.

**Pssst**
(You're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about)

Yeah, that's shitty MTP instead of mass media like they used to have it, exactly what I said.

Fucking aussie shitposters.

My Galaxy S5 has a cracked screen and is starting to go senile.
Considering getting an S6 when I upgrade, but what's a Sup Forums approved smartphone?

America, carrier is AT&T

I mean, you might as well get an S7 if you're gonna do a Galaxy again. It's basically just the S6 but better

AICP has magisk root built-in in settings.

I've set left swipe for google assistant and right swipe for switch to last app, works fine. Switching to next/previous app with swipes is ZUI-only feature. And pretty sure you can't mount as external storage in ZUI as well.

Im interested with Redmi Note 4, which SoC has more power efficiency ? Snapdragon 625 or Helio x20 ?

SD625 is supposed to be fantastic, looks like the battery life should be better on the SD model according to GSMarena's rating 119hr vs 83hr.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I LOVE THIS INCREASED SCREEN REAL ESTATE!

Anyone got hands on experience with the Lenovo P2? I'm looking to buy it but everywhere close to me is out of stock. I was thinking it would be a good upgrade from my Galaxy S5 which is beginning to show its age.

Just wanting to know opinions from people who have used the P2?

GUYS I GOT 2-3 WEEKS LEFT

IS THE WAWEI P8 OR THE HONOR 6X THE SUPERIOR CAMERA??

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/04/22/samsung-galaxy-s8-review/

Found this to be a very interesting, critical review of the S8.

ADD THE LG G4 INTO THE MIX!

Oh, but I forgot to mention, they're wrong about the battery life. It's better than the S7's by a good bit.

smartphones are for dumb people.

How do I find out what the fuck is draining my battery? I have "Android OS" at 35%. I even sperged out completely and removed logd so it wouldn't drain my battery by writing unnecessary logs but it didn't help at all. Is there any app that shows battery usage per PROCESS?

Where is my Nokia phone?!??!??!

>old shit with no updates
>cheap shit with no updates
>bootloops: the phone

Just get a OnePlus 3T, or the Moto G5+ if you need camera that badly.

my dad's samsung galaxy S3 doesn't work anymore
what should I buy him
maybe a S5?
I just need a no brainer, cheap if possible, that will "just werk"

Mi5S plus vs Zuk Z2 Pro

Best cost-benefit of the two?

Should i buy one of them or should i buy 2 phones (RN4X and Doogee Y6) for the same price?

>budgetshit from a company notorious from having 0 quality.

id sooner get a windows phone than a moto

Moto g.

Cheapest smartphone with a decent android version and 1GB ram? broke nigger here

It's a Galaxy On5, what the fuck do you expect? It's a phone made for dirt poorfags and third worlders, there's a reason why it's free. Android isn't like apple, there are tiers from dirt poor to flagship
I love all the chink shills immediately pouncing to shill their zuk, xiaomi garbage

bump, someone help me, please

Good deal for burgers, Nextbit Robin selling for $137 new on eBay
ebay.com/itm/Nextbit-Robin-32GB-100GB-Cloud-Factory-Unlocked-5-2-13MP-Android-Smartphone-/152258661534?rmvSB=true

As a reminder, for that price you get
>5.2" 1080p display with Gorilla Glass 4
>Android 7.0 Nougat
>Snapdragon 808
>3GB RAM, 32GB storage and 100GB free cloud storage
>Dual front facing speakers
>USB C, NFC, fingerprint reader
>Full support for AT&T and T-Mobile network bands
>Official LineageOS build

Look at reviews, the s8 OS is crispy and smooth but don't take my word for it and go look at reviews

Out of those two, ZUK Z2 Pro. The dual camera setup on the Mi5s plus isn't that good, the regular Mi5s takes better photos.

Why would you need 2 phones?

Are Sony phones good?

So, ZUK Z2 Pro or Mi5s?

>Why would you need 2 phones?

I don't.

Bad deal for people outside US?

I would pay 137 dollars + 60 dollar of tax.

That seller only ships to US but it's 179€ on Amazon.de and about the same price on Amazon.co.uk which is still a pretty good price.

Decent but not amazing. It has good specs except the Snapdragon 808 runs really hot.

Oh shit. I didn't know wtf that msgisk thing was, so I disabled it. Is there a way to use SuperSU instead. And did I fuck it up by installing SuperSU through TWRP?(right now nothing is asking me for root permission, as if I don't have root at all.)

It's also the least well built phone ever made. Jerryrig said if folds up effortlessly. There's no metal in the phone at all, other then the solder and copper on the main board. Pay a bit more for the zuk z2, and get something 40% better.

>S8 plus: 88 hours of battery life
>A7 (2017): 115 hours
>A3 (2017): 93 hours
why samsung didn't just put 5k battery on the phone, instead of making inferior product?

Has Anyone tried Motorola Moto G5?
what did you think of it, can you recommend it?

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/order.usdPrice,order_type.asc

Typing from a G5

It's really great. If you can live without LED light or plan to shoot your next Portfolio on it, then I can recommend it.

The removable battery is also a huge bonus

Should I get the Redmi Note 3 Pro or the Redmi Note 4?

Look for mainly battery life and performance.

Redmi Note 4 (the Snapdragon version). It has way better battery life than the RN3P, for only slightly less performance.

Is it reasonable to assume the OnePlus 5 will be in the same price point as the OnePlus 3 (~$500)?

OP5 will cost more than the OP3T

>amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00XJBIX24/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Only 199quid for a LG G4 refurbished from a very trusted supplier (96% rated 1000+ reviews).

In comparison

>moto g4 plus 190
>moto g5 plus 249
>honor 6x 230
>huawei p8 regular 199

Should I take the plunge? I need a seriously good phone camera for social shit.

What's a good phone that doesn't require a fortune to buy?
I live in egypt and tech in general is pretty expensive here.