What does Sup Forums think of Plex? I'm thinking of paying for it, but idk if there are better...

What does Sup Forums think of Plex? I'm thinking of paying for it, but idk if there are better, free services I'm unaware of.

Other urls found in this thread:

plex.tv/web/tv/generic?secure=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just connect with a vpn and use that.

the fact that if you have plex on a different subnet requires it to go out to the internet and back in again shows how fucking garbage it is

>KODI

*XBMC. Kodi is a retarded name that was chosen for retarded reasons.

I bought a lifetime plexpass so my mother in law in the midwest can access my media (i'm on the west coast). She hasn't had issues with lag or anything. Worth the cost to me since I have me, my wife, and her mom using it to stream media.

Are you really that triggered by the name change? It's not like staying with XBMC would have made any more sense when the Xbox hadn't been supported for such a long time.

are there any downsides to KODI? It looks exactly the same.

KODI has less device support and less support in general, but it is free and also has 3D MVC playback, so you car play ripped 3D blurays

Name change signified the death of the project for me desu.

You don't need a plexpass to do that, if you have them create a free account and add them as a friend you can share your library.

It's free. you just use your PC as a server. you just have to pay $5 to use it on your phone (just use lucky patcher)

or just pay the 5 fucking bucks. idk why people expect everything to be free.

Use Emby (server) + Kodi (client) if you care about freedom

Or even easier, you can download Plex from the Amazon underground app store which is free for the full version.

Kodi is a decent alternative, but its devs are increasingly flipping out because people are using their open source project for piracy. They also may be getting into bed with the movie industry because they're talking about adding DRM. So it might be a project on its last legs in terms of usefulness. If that happens I'm probably going to switch to plex.

Plex works fine for my needs. You don't even need to sign up for an account if you're just playing everything locally

Neato thanks!

I use it on my gentoo machine. I love it, other than some permission issues, I have had no problems. Paid the 5 bucks

best $40 I've ever spent hands down

>3TB external HDD set up 1080p rips with movies all organized by folder.
> Set plex up to use said HDD
> Use RDP on my android to remote start torrents and move them to the appropriate partition
> Plex updates the library and metadata automatically
> Close Teamviewer on android and open plex app
>My content is waiting to be streamed right to my phone from my PC.

Kodi is just a player and UPnP share server retard, OP is talking about Plex server, not PlexHomeTheater

No thanks I value my RAM and Emby takes a shitload of it to run. It takes 2GB of RAM just for my media library, before any transcoding is done. Plex on the other hand takes about 150MB while not transcoding.

>RDP

Why wouldn't you just use a file explorer with SFTP support to directly organize the files from your Android device? Why RDP?

>Have synology NAS
>Do nothing
>Get message new movie has been downloaded
>Open Videostation and play movie

Because I need to get windows to connect to my VPN for torrenting and then start the torrent download. I suppose I could make a service where I could text or push the torrent url to my PC and it would automatically fire up the vpn and start the torrent but im lazy.

If this was in linux I'd just ssh and do it all through the terminal and it would be a piece of cake. But my plex server is on W A N G B L O W Z

one day I'll ascend to your level of autism user but for now I'm a poorfag student and my solution works just fine.

>if this was linux

well why isn't it?

I use Plex and KODI. Plex for movies and TV that are downloaded. KODI for streaming newer movies/sports/etc. That said, KODI is typically a bigger pain in the ass that it's worth.

Because muh gaymes.

Its dual booted, I suppose I could run plex in linux too so that it didn't matter which OS I was in at the moment. I spend more time in linux anyway since I use it for dev and school work. The only time I use windows really is for games and watching movies/tv shows on plex.

That brings up the other issue of getting that fucking 2TB NTFS partition to mount...

Oh so you're running it on your home computer. My mistake, I assumed you meant this was a dedicated server

not him but are there any good sftp clients on android? none seem to offer support for interactive login shit like 2fa

...what? why don't you use transmission-qt and a remote torrent client? Or run a VM of linux with a torrent daemon? Or buy a piece of shit computer to run linux on natively? Why are you even torrenting through a VPN if you're streaming everything through Plex?

I just use ES File Explorer (version 3.2.5.9 which is right before the botnet takeover from that chinese company) and add an SFTP entry. I don't know if it supports interactive login, but im not really sure why you need it

No no user, like I said I'm a poorfag uni student. My PC is probably the most valuable thing I own besides my truck.

VPN is so I don't get cucked by my ISP. Also, I'm pretty new to all of this personal media server shit so I'm learning. Advice is appreciated.

Why don't you just use your phone browser?

Because the web page doesn't have a mobile layout yet, so it's janky as fuck. It's easy to cast to something with it but to actually watch within the browser is pretty laggy the buttons are tiny.

I like it a lot. Right now I've just got shit on an external hard drive that I plug in to laptop when I want to watch stuff on my parents' various TV appliances (Apple TV or chromecast)
Moving out in a month though and I'd like to buy one of those NUCs that I can run linux on and have as a server and primary client for plex.

My only issue with it is that it's a pain in the ass to deal with media files that the scanners/agents don't agree with. Hopefully the new version of tvdb makes it much easier to deal with shows that have a different intended viewing order than dvd/tv airing. Also hopefully they make it easier to deal with things like pic related where the specials need to have multiple seasons of their own interleaved with TV seasons. I only managed to get this working with a lot of manual setup which sucks and I'm pretty sure I can't copy over to a different library looking at how plex stores this shit.

>weeb

DROPPED

Does it even support the mobile browser?

can you tell me the mascot of this site again?

cancer

Just an example. The show that gave me the most pain was probably Steven Universe since S1/S2 release was such a shitshow.

I play to my iPhone just fine.

Like I said, it works, it's just not very intuitive as it doesn't have a mobile layout so it displays the full web version right now. That gets pretty annoying clicking tiny buttons, or zooming in on the buttons and then zooming out to watch the media.

because I want security
pubkey is good and all but 2fa+pubkey is like the bare minimum

I set up a freenas server with sonarr, radarr, SABnzbd, and plex. Great combo if you want an semi-automated media server which pulls media from Usenet and sorts everything. Plex has given me no issues, really like the ui and it's ability to pull show/movie info, subs, fanart. Pain in the ass to get everything running but it's been great ever since. I use it daily

ntfs-3g shouldn't have any problems with mounting that
have you counsidered an iommu'd gpu passthrough setup? Just get a second cheape gpu for linux and passthrough your main card to windows. Lets you enjoy linux and load up gaymes with windows on demand.

In addition, if you have an unlimited data plan it's great for mobile viewing

You should use a torrent client that supports remote connections. Transmission-qt for windows does, I think. But there should be others. Then you can download an android torrent client that also supports remote and manage your torrents that way. It'll probably be a lot faster and easier than using teamviewer, but it sounds as if you need that to turn on your VPN. There might be a torrent client that allows remote access and can also be configured to automatically connect through a VPN. I don't have that problem since in Canada, ISPs are not legally required to do anything other than say "Yes, that IP belongs to one of our customers. No, we will not tell you who that person is. Yes, we can deliver a message on your behalf." Those messages usually say things like "WARNING, YOU ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR PIRACY. SCARY THINGS MAY HAPPEN TO YOU. IN ORDER TO MINIMIZE THE FINANCIAL RISK TO YOURSELF, PLEASE PROVIDE HERE YOUR NAME, BIRTH DATE, AND ADDRESS." They really can't do anything unless you identify yourself to them. Also I get 150/50 fiber internet for 70 canadabux, with faster options for 70 canadabux and they keep bumping my speed up every time they upgrade the lines. Canada is pretty OK sometimes.

actually, if he has a recent intel processor, he can use the iGPU for the host OS.

Huh, the button sizes seem fine to me. They're on par with the usual phone buttons.

Oh well that's in landscape mode. How is portrait?

I have no issue with the plex app button sizes on my end either.

Squeeze the image in half. So yes, it's harder to see, but you can now see about 24 movie tiles!

But then I don't watch videos in portrait mode, so it seems more logical to interface with it while in landscape mode.

Second image

What version of Plex are you running? Maybe I just need to update. This is what it looks like for me

Version 5.8.0.475 On a samsung galaxy s7 edge

you're in the browser, which doesnt scale for phones. those other anons are using the app

Yeah, I am on the app my bad

not this one

There was an update to the server fairly recently (a few weeks ago?) that canged the UI a bit.

No I understand that the app works fine. I have the app as well, but that's why I was asking how Portrait looks in the browser, because landscape does scale fine for me but not portrait, as you can see in Because they haven't added a proper mobile layout for the browser, at least not in my version. I probably should update and check if it changed.

Why use the browser version on mobile if you have the app?

Well that was the issue before I managed to get a friend with a Plex pass to add me to his PlexHome so I could use the apps for free, but the original point of the conversation was an user asked why people don't just use the browser instead of paying for the plex pass or whatever other methods to get the app for free. So I was explaining why it was kind of janky, but they may have fixed it in the new update

Browser is free. Also doesn't take up additional storage.

Looks like the update didn't change anything. Oh well. It's not an issue now that I have the Plex app, but still a bummer. I'd like to just be able to browse in portrait like regular apps and then rotate when media is playing, hopefully they add a mobile UI soon to match the app for users who don't want to have to pay for the apps.

have fun trying to use external harddrives with it in linux.

those fucking permissions

"Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video

just give it read permission on the files and folders you need it to see and execute permission on the folders it needs to use to get there.

you mean I wont be able to use Exodus to get free shit anymore?

It's better than pvc or copper plumbing. I like the way you can cut off single section of lines. Also easier to work with. Pex is awesome and the future of plumbing

it randomly cant read or just crashes on all drives.

or it moves shit from one folder to another, with no input, all on its own like a fucking ghost is using my shitbox htpc

It's great. But like said, it always been a pita for me on linux. Got an old x4 640 build on W7 and it works great though. Got Sonarr autodownloading my TV shows, youtube-dl downloading my favorite YouTube channels, pretty comfy

What the fuck

it moved everything from my folder named

>tv shows

to

>tv shows cartoons

EVERYTHING 500gb of it.

>giving it write permission
baka

I have plex pass (bought lifetime) and regret it since the sync option is fucking garbage and takes hours opposed to just transcoding and transfering yourself (alternatively just not transcoding since every format pretty much fucking works anyways).

Don't bother with plex pass. However, just regular plex (the free version) is worth it.

Plex with automated torrenting is pretty dope. No longer do I have to bother with GFs nagging about downloading her favorite shows.

and it also had a file that was unreadable with a long ass alphanumeric filename, that after i had D/L'd Kong at work. gave me a DMCA warning from my cable company.

i didnt even download the fucking file in the same county.

no, I had only gave it READ permissions.

someone is compiling metadata on everyone's pirating to slam the fuck out of people.

if you use plex just for yourself i think it's useless, regardless if you have a standalone server and whatnot.

who watches movies/shows multiple times?

> muh collection

why the fuck do you collect data, you don't even have people that use it.

i see no reason to use plex, unless the convenience you get from accessing your library from other location is worth the effort you're going to put into it. or if you are using your living room tv or something.

I have kids, and nieces and nephews that come over. it keep them occupied and from setting the house on fire.

this tbqh, lots of shows like spongebob got pulled from netflix so I store than on plex and let my nephews watch remotely from their house on their roku or xbox or whatever

for me, i like having access to all my giant music library on the go since i can't possibly sync it all to my iphone

plex wiiu app when?

yeah don't get me wrong, for that plex is great. i'd probably do the same in the future.

>wanted movies are magicly downloaded at wanted quality to the correct folder with couchpotato
>can configure couchpotato to automagicly fetch movies from different sources
>subscribed tv shows magicly downloads and copies to the correct folder with sickrage
>plex automaticly updates library
>everything behind vpn
>mfw the only thing i do is add hdds to nas and clean up torrents

>Last-gen console
>Whole extra tablet web UI to design
>Web engine doesn't handle audio beyond stereo
>Sold, like, 4 units

Sorry m8, as nice as it could've been in a universe where the thing sold better (which is the same as the universe where it actually got a new Zelda on-schedule and Mario 3D Land was replaced with Odyssey), this is pretty much certainly never gonna happen. You can point the web browser at this and it'll mostly work, though: plex.tv/web/tv/generic?secure=1

wait youtube-dl can auto download channel videos? also, why would you want this, why not just watch on youtube like a normal fucking human being?

Also honestly it would've helped if the dev tools weren't a wacky Windows-only GUI thing.

I use it mostly for my nephews. They have certain channels they like (DanTDM, Stampy, Little Lizard, etc)

>have schedule task to run youtube-dl 11am
>youtube-dl checks channel for new episode uploaded
>finds new episode, downloads it and embeds metadata and downloads thumbnail
>another program takes the thumbnail and superimposes it over a transparent .png I have made
>another script to rename the thumbnail to match the file name downloaded (so the thumbnail appears in plex library)
>another script to move files to relevant plex folder
>final script to tell plex to update that folder and look for new files at 2pm

so it "appears" automatically on my TV at 2pm everyday, kinda like a TV show. looks like this

I have it staggered so a new video from a different channel comes on every 30 minutes

I realize it's a bit autistic but the main reason I started doing it was because youtube-dl lets you blacklist videos by words and when they were young, those "horror" videos scared them.

forgot to mention, I'll have it clean out videos older than 7 days, so there's usually only 14-16 videos per channel on there at any given time

that's autistic but awesome, haha. clever how you do that, but i imagine it takes/took effort.

>My wife's mom

I've only seen them get irritated about shady companies selling boxes with Kodi pre-installed and configured with piracy apps, and then the people that buy these things coming to the Kodi team to complain when something breaks.
As for DRM, they're just planning to allow Kodi to hook in to existing binary blobs to allow it to play DRM'd content such as Netflix and Hulu.

Only pay for Plex if you need multiple users connecting to your server.

Literally never had any of these problems, ever. Something is seriously wrong with your setup if it's moving and renaming files. Plex should only be able to read files, not rename them, and it creates its own metadata in a separate directory for said files. I've used Plex on a Raspberry Pi with an external HDD with XFS with no issues, and now I'm on a standard x86 Debian server with a regular disk and still not having problems. I dunno how the fuck you messed up your setup that badly but I suggest you start from scratch and follow a guide or something.

If it's an optional add-on this would be perfect. I'd finally be able to use SBCs like the Pi to play Netflix. Sucks right now having to use another device to watch it if I feel like watching something thats on there

It's not really a central server, but it's free with tons of addons.

#1 Kodi is not a server, the only thing it does server-wise is share your library over DLNA (which is not accessible over the internet). You're thinking of Plex Home Theater/the Plex app which is the client-side player. Plex Server and Kodi aren't even comparable as they are two totally different programs meant to serve a different purpose entirely

Yeah I enjoyed the newest season of cuck works too