WD Black

Is it a meme?

Longer warranty is not a meme

once you go black yo u never go back

I don't doubt that one, but is it really worth upwards of $100 or more?

yes, WD drives are trash

No, it really isn't... Anyone telling you WD drives are not good is an idiot. They competition (Seagate) can't even make their shit teir drives last longer than 1 year.

uninformed Sup Forumsermin detected

Old seagate were nice, i still have a 160gb one working with like 2k days on it, yet since the Barracudas 7200.10 onward they went to shit.

Fuck now i remember that fucking 7200.11 fuckfest with the bricking firmware, damn time bomb if there was one.

old WD was nice too.

the only hard drives worth buying now are toshiba/HSGT and refurb hitachi enterprise drives

Seconded. Warranties don't bring lost data back (for the brave ppl not using redundancy). Get a pre-WD acquisition HGST drive. Certain ultrastars, deskstar nas, and megascale drives boast the best reliability.

blacks? definitely a meme.

>Get a pre-WD acquisition HGST drive
ie just buy toshiba drives

Ive had multiple drives from all companies fail on me. Ive even had an m.2 ssd fail on me.

Biggest meme are evos or refurbished drives

>Biggest meme are evos
more like samshit drives in general. unreliable trash, people only buy them because of the large performance numbers they hit for 3 seconds before dropping off

I wonder when we'll see hard drive capacity take off even further. Like 25, 50 tb drives.

what are you doing, i've literally never had a hard drive fail on me. I have a 1GB hard drive in my windows 98 machine that I still use relatively often.

i doubt we will, ssds will start taking over as they become more reliable. moving parts aren't viable these days

No, they have stuff that makes them more reliable(Anti-vibration system for example) but can die any second like a normal HDD.

Falling for the Backblaze meme

Thinking Samsung drives are trash from a test with a sample size of literally one drive

Honestly though, while blacks are good, you're better off getting cheaper drives and running raid of some description, just avoid Seagate like the plague, their shit is still terrible

WD just works

nobody mentioned backblaze you moron, is that just what you have to resort to saying when anyone identifies wd drives as garbage?
>Thinking Samsung drives are trash
they are very trash, anyone with some form of knowledge is aware that intel make the most reliable ssds on the market

>wd
>samshit evo
you poor thing

Seagate had a terrible 3tb drive that ruined their reputation a few years ago. They have improved since then and their failure rate isn't astronomically high anymore.

See Me!

>WD Black

CLCIKCICKCTICKCLICKTICLTICKTICLIKCRASHBANGBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRCRACKCLICKCLICKCRASHCRASHCLICKTICKBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPSHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR

folder with 20 pictures loaded

Speaking from experience as a sysad, Seagate drives are still terrible, they fail more often, more quickly and more catastrophically, typically with thousands of sectors going bad more or less at once

Mine doesn't have this problem

guess I got a WD Nigger instead of a WD Black

>click folder
CLICK
vvvvvvvvVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRing
*click sub folder*
VRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRVRing
loaded

How old is the thing?

7 years, bought it with an i5 750

ever since I upgraded to kaby lake it went from loud to obnoxiously loud

>32 mb cache

>ever since I upgraded to kaby lake
>kaby lake
You got scammed, dumbass.

>186 days
So, it's nothing?

Ah crap! 7 years? Well, at least it still up and running..... Just bought mine nearly 3 weeks ago, I hope everything will be alright

Settings in BIOS/UEFI could cause this. You should have a choice of "Performance" which will be the fastest and also the most noisy or "Accoustic" which will be quieter but somewhat slower.
Oh yeah, with only 1 pending sector reallocation, that drive is a keeper!

Mine running 7 years only got caution just recently

I have thrown the computer around and all kinds of shit, kicked it over multiple times too

You really are getting reliability with these

three times the warranty (usually six years) and top-tier hdd performance is worth it, yes.

>Black
You already know it's not going to work

>misspelling "acoustic"
what are you, fucking acoustic?

> intel
> best desktop ssds
Now i know you are just a shity shill

well EXCUUUUUSE MEEEEE, Mr. Fucking Webster

mines got more hours on and doesnt have caution
mebbe dont turn off your pc so often

Depends which one you get. The 5 and 6TB models are blazing fast. 3 and 4 are older and slower. Smaller than that are older and slower still.
My 5TB Black loads vidya basically as fast as my SSD. Of course I'm SATA 2 bottlenecked, so what do I know.

step it up

I have the weirdest luck with drives. I've had 2 200gb IDE Seagates for over 12 years now and they are perfectly fine, and I've had a 500 and 750gb WD die on me inside of 6 months. I said to hell with it and now just use HGST drives as storage and SSDs for everything else.

CrystalDiskInfo's dev should just call the anime edition the weeb edition.

this

das rite

I bought a Black recently because I didn't want a drive that parks it's head constantly, but It was way too noisy. It made this pulsing or ticking sound repeatedly every 5 seconds even when idle. Place I bought it from tested another identical drive and it made the noise as well. I don't know if they all do it or if it was just that specific model, but I couldn't deal with it regardless.

I ended up replacing it with a standard blue drive because I found out you can disable head parking with WDIDLE.

name a more reliable ssd

i'll wait

it's called the shizuka edition you baka

>2012+5
>buying WD/NSA
wew lad

Get toshiba. A non-us brand.

toshiba drives are just hitachi drives, so yes they are the best buy.

wd gold costs as much and it's quieter and more stable hdd

I have a 6 year old 2tb black still going strong. Mostly go with HGST now however; they are a bit cheaper and seem to be just as good.

>SSDs a shit retards
Just don't give up do you?

SSDs are fine, Samsung ones are not

>5-10 year warranty
>bad
Do you act like a retard on purpose?

>having to rely on warranty because the product is so shit

SAMSUNG A SHIT A SHIT!1!!!1!!

I turn my computer off every night

in mid 2000s i've had 6 WD drives, 5 had bad sectors after 2 years and on the other one controller has literally fried after 3.5 - 4 years

post purchase rationalization in full force i see.

well you enjoy that decent performance for the 3 seconds it lasts before it drops off to garbage again i guess

Oh man I bought a SSD with a 10 year warranty! Fuck me and my shit purchase. This fucking thing even worked out of the box.

probably should have asked somebody who a thing or two about computer hardware before buying it then

You tired hard, have one more you.

please keep embarrassing yourself

>once you go black yo u never go back

Its pure meme.

SSD lasts longer than HDD per GB usage. The new intel's SSD could practically outlast human civilization.

samsung desu imo senpai

Fuck Seagate. I've gone through two of their drives in one year, then replaced them with a WD drive that's been going strong for over four. Currently recommending HGST however. They make really good shit.

Sauce pls I'm new here

HGST is WD owned now and trash, Toshiba make the real Hitachi drives

who ssd+WDred here

minecraft forums are >>>>>>

I've never played minecraft.

So how can you determine which HGST models are pre-WD?

if they're branded hitachi or you buy them from toshiba

>tfw I have to turn off my PC because of expensive electricity cost

Just fuck my flipland up senpai

Seems more obvious than I expected.

Thanks mate.

>once your bike goes black it never comes back
FTFY

>flipland
>turning off PC
how's it like to be poor?

No its an advertisement. Memes don't try and sell you anything. Go newfag somewhere else.

yes its a fucking meme
its a 7200rpm version of wd blue which is uses more heat and power

I have one of those 3tb drives. I lucked out for now still runs fine no errors. Bought it boxing day(December) 2012 for 89$ which was weirdly cheap given the hdd factory flood just occurred.

Just because WD owns HGST on paper doesn't mean they get rid of their manufacturing process over night you mongs.

right someone explain to me please cause ive been lucky enough to never have a drive die, this 'warranty' does it require you to send in your hdd to the manufacturer?

Fucking power outage for the hottest months dude. Everyday feels like 110°F here

>not running the AC on all day and house on a generator
the power doesn't go out that often in manila, and the heat and humidity are totally unbearable without AC.
even the malls are humid as fuck...

>hard drive
yes, it's a meme

Its overpriced shit, seagate barracuda is faster and better

people order the drives online and put them in shitboxes powered by crap power supplies that keeps them warm while running awful operating systems like gnu/linux

I had rather figured.

When they took over Samsung, the cunts rebranded their disks with with Samsung product numbers. So you thought you were buying really good quality disks, instead you were getting fucked in the ass.

Still got a ton of Samsung disks. They're amazing

THIS, I'm still using the same 2x400GB Barracuda ES in RAID-0 from 12 years ago

Harddrive speed peaked with the 7200.14 barracuda 3tb, anything more that isn't a massive archive drive is a pure meme

my wd black is eight years old, pulled it out of an older computer to use in my build, still works perfectly when every other old hdd I used died. now I might be lucky or it might be that the hdd did not have a lot of time to sit around and rot or any other factor, but I'm still glad it pulled through.

>WD trash
Use Hitachi or fuck off.
>inb4 its still WD
Different factories, different market (all better).