Goodbye chip-and-pin, hello chip-and-fingerprint

cnet.com/news/mastercard-biometric-card-fingerprint-sensor/
>Forget Apple Pay. Mastercard's got a fingerprint reader
>Mastercard on Thursday said a new biometric credit card it's developing completed two pilots in South Africa, with plans for more tests coming soon in Europe and Asia. Mastercard said the card could reach customers in the US by early next year.

So now rather than demanding your PIN or faking your signature, will muggers just cut your thumb off?

Wouldn't your latent fingerprint be all over the front of the card anyways from handling it, allowing it to be lifted/faked by a skilled attacker

Now this is pretty cool.
They can't fit a botnet inside a credit card...
Yet.

i will not use my fingerprint as a password
i will not use my voiceprint as a password
i will not give any coporation my DNA

>Will not use your fingerprint as a password
Largely your choice at this point although certain employers will mandate it and certain industries (E.g. finance) will require it

>will not use your voiceprint as a password
They might not explicitly tell you but companies and governments are voiceprinting you without explicitly telling you

>will not give any [corporation DNA]
Still your choice at this point.

>i will not give any coporation my DNA
You act like it's worth anything

it may be shitty but its mine

>i will not give any coporation my DNA
>implying they don't already basically have it
corporations can get whatever they want from the government
the government has your DNA
hell, your barber shop has your DNA. someone wants it bad enough and they can bribe the barber shop owner.

Why stop there it's time we implant the chips directly into our skin.

Yeah this is why biometrics is such an awful way to secure your stuff. Fingerprint is largely the worse of them all in terms of security.

Just waiting till everyone realizes that biometrics are not meant to be used as a single factor authentication, but in combination with others. And then will come triple factor authentication, with something that you only should have, a key, womething that you are, biometrics and something that you know password.

And only then you start to get some level of security, required for current year and level of dependency on technological systems.

>paying with the plastic jew
cash is love, cash is freedom.

This. It feels good not having all my purchases logged.

Cash can be destroyed in a house fire. Your inairance company won't pay for that. Money in a bank or credit union is safer.

>Americans are still confused by the concept of a 4-digit PIN number
>add some other shit to a card

Yeah, this will go well for Shartclapistan. Americans don't even have IBAN, they still use fucking checks for average payments and 'auto-pay' is a charged feature, instead of a free standard like Direct Debit.

No it's in the public domain actually

I'd rather use my phone. A fingerprint reader (especially a good one that can detect a pulse) would wear out a card's batter in what? A couple months? Are you supposed to recharge the card? Yeah, I'll stick wit my phone.

I've never been charged for any autopay function ever. I'm sure some shitty places charge for it, but what fucking institution have you used that charges for it?

>getting the mark of the beast
ISHYGDDT

>what fucking institution have you used that charges for it?

Its pretty clear I'm not American so I haven't. This is shit I heard from an expat, a $3 charge for each separate regular bill. If its not accurate I guess that's good because it means your banking infrastructure is one step closer to being on par with the UK's in 2004.

This retard doesn't carry around all his cash on him at all times so if his cash burns in a fire, he won't also die. Retard

>not cutting your own hair and burning it in a burn bin
shiggy doggy friendo

In decades you could clone

He has a shitty bank. Online Bill Pay has been free at banks for a number of years, it increases the "stickiness" of customers to stay at one bank as they can pay all their bills from the bank portal and they would have to repeat the setup of the billpay if they move to another bank.

The chip is a contact chip meaning it gets energized (electricity) from the terminal. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if they're testing it in South Africa it's probably drawing the requisite power from the terminal.

Americans aren't confused by PINs, banks just assume we're lazy as fuck and would switch cards if we had to use PINs. There are a few exceptions - Target's Visa Credit Card is chip-and-PIN - but in the name of "convenience" almost all of our cards are chip and signature.

Not using that. I rather like the fact that my fingerprints and DNA aren't on record, just in case I want to start strangling hookers.

I don't have bags of paper money lying around.

DNA is only contained in the bulb that hair grows from you dumb brainlets.

I fail to see how doing a signature every time you buy something is more convenient than punching 4 numbers in under 2 seconds on a ternimal.

The signature is basically dragging pen across the terminal and hitting okay, you don't have to remember anything or put any real effort into it because nobody checks the signature on the card or really cares what the one on the terminal looks like. It's a legal asscovering thing
>it is your card: binds you to agree to pay the charges
>it isn't your card: fraud and they can use that to throw the book at you

The fact there's that little security is even worse. It is not hard to remember a 4 digit number, even in the beginning. When you've been using your card near every day for many years, its not even something you must remember, it becomes a reflex.

Until today the muricas have not learned to use credit cards with chip... I wonder how they will be able to use credit cards with biometrics.

Chances are they already have it. If you have ever taken a drug test or been arrested etc etc.

Isn't a fingerprint like a pretty dumb thing to use as a password since you can't really change it if it gets compromised?

The average American has 2.25 credit cards (not including debit cards). If you only include people with at least one card, the average American has more than 4 cards. I myself have a dozen credit cards (I pay them off in full each month so I've never been charged interest). Different cards can have different PINs and banks assume we're lazy. Since the merchant or the bank assumes liability for fraud in any event, most consumers don't really care about the security of a PIN over a signature.

Have Americans not heard of changing the PIN on a card? I have 2 with the same PIN. Come on.

He said different cards can have different pins, not that they need to have different pins

Ok, but my point is you don't need to have the mental headache of remembering the PIN number of many different cards, because you can change them all to the same thing.

Literally nobody said otherwise, you're just repetitively stating the obvious

Credit cards are already a financial botnet, user

This, I refuse to use a card with a fingerprint censor.