Why is Sup Forums so cheap and hostile towards paying a small amount to software developers?

>wants to use an app on a daily basis
>gets upset if there's ads
>there's an option to pay 1 dollar for lifetime usage with no ads
>doesn't want to pay for it.

Listen fags, I understand not paying $120 for Windows because Microsoft is an evil Jewish company, but are you really going to get upset if some guy who creates a small business out of an app asks for a dollar for an ad-free app with (sometimes) more features?

Pirating media is totally ok because its just video and audio files that are distributed through volunteer networks. Nobody actually works on improving them after a customer buys them, so they are fair game. Software however, is a completely different thing. You use software all the time instead of viewing it once or twice, and the developer actually pushes updates to fix it and add more value.

When did Sup Forums get so hostile to independent devs who actually work on a useful piece of software to make it better even after you buy it with the change in your couch cushions?

Even if you don't believe in paying for closed source apps, you should donate to open source development. If everybody on Sup Forums donated a dollar to every piece of open source software they use, open source software would be in a much better position today.

I paid 2 bucks for threema. No ragrets.

Non-viable businesses don't deserve to survive.

>nothing software based is viable

nope

Holding your app for ransom under threat of Big Data is immoral and violent.
It is the duty of the just to break DRM and protect the innocent from commercial spyware.

>I paid 2 bucks for threema.

Signal is free and better. You paid too soon.

>not paying for that other company's software is okay
>but not paying for my company's software isn't okay

every software i ever paid for, I regretted.

1. i never use it as much as i think i will, because alternatives pop up immediately or it will lack some feature I need or want

2. i dont actually care that much about having the software.

only pay for what you really need, not what you want

Many of the most vocal posters on Sup Forums are underage kids and don't have easy access to a bank account, so that's a major reason.

>Jewish megacorporation vs. small business

hmmmm I wonder what the difference is

There is no difference. Employees of both companies want to eat.

I paid $15 or $20 for Serviio (basically an entirely locally hosted media server platform, as opposed to something like Plex which phones home periodically), and I'm pretty happy with that/don't regret it.

>There is no difference.

lol

t. hypocrite

what the fuck are apps anyway besides overglorified flash animations or websites

Is there any single app that's worth paying for?

I am NOT going to pay for anything I can steal easily

There's plenty. People have different needs and wants than you, user.

You're like one of those retards that says "why would you buy a smartphone when you have laptops?:

Apps are trash. Get a real computer.

>paying for a binary string
How retarded is this?

Why you buying Plex on EVE?

Huh? I'm not touching Plex. Plex is cancer.

Give it back Jamal

As long as they support most common payment options and if it isn't subscription based I would support it.

I bought CoD 4 last week, not because I had to (cracked servers anyways) but that game provided me with a lot of good memories when I was a poorfag and had to torrent it. No regrets.

Most likely I'll buy Mass Effect 1 & 2 for the same reason.

Software wise I can't really buy anything as I'm working on Linux servers/nodes so I guess I should donate to some open source project.

because companies don't want to sell products, they want to you to rent them. or they charge absurd prices, or have some other form of retarded drm (limited installs etc)

>because companies don't want to sell products, they want to you to rent them. or they charge absurd prices, or have some other form of retarded drm (limited installs etc)

not all of them

Anyone know how to actually make money developing software freelance?
All I can manage is contracts to develop directly for a business.

I'm making plenty of crap that people would find useful, but aside from charging people to download, livestreaming writing software and getting rubes to donate for me to answer questions, or accepting donations, I can't think of the avenue of profit.

Manly because I hate ads, and am a bit of a freetard.

Enough of them do

what are you? poor?
rich people don't get rich by wasting money on stupidly

>wasting money on 1s and 0s

I just don't want to enter my CC details in my phone.

If there was a safe way to pay for phone apps I would buy some.

Thee method and experience (even encapsulated in software) to do something okay or even well or perfect is valuable.

>wasting money on 1s and 0s

>I paid $15 or $20 for Serviio (basically an entirely locally hosted media server platform, as opposed to something like Plex which phones home periodically)

Why not UniversalMediaServer?
Sadly, it is java-based.

I just run a web server for everything I might need plex for.
If I ever need to do transcoding, nginx has an rmtp module, and it'd only take a couple of lines of php to get it to use ffmpeg for it.

How do you think it is safer to use a CC with a random reader in a store or even handing it to a waiter?

You know better that the software is probably safe because some srs and known cryptography secures it and ensures who provided it has the key to it. Plus you CAN inspect what it does to a degree.

With random devices in a shop you don't know shit. Clerk might have tampered with it or criminal designers might have made or altered the magic box before...

>Most likely I'll buy Mass Effect 1 & 2 for the same reason.

bioware is dead, user.

>How do you think it is safer to use a CC with a random reader in a store or even handing it to a waiter?

I don't use credit cards at all.

My main worry is what happens when my phone gets stolen and Mohamed decides to buy 100.000 euro worth of apps just to commit digital Jihad.

People wasted money on letters and it made them money despite they themselves "executing" these letters.

Software actually does perform work through usually inexpensive machines. Its usually a good deal.

Why not just something like samba or ftp +kodi?

No CC? You can still do classic pay in advance with a bank account or shop purchased coupon then.

And with 100k on a CC it will be flagged as suspicious + over limit and rejected with near absolute certainty.

>Why not just something like samba or ftp +kodi?

Samba is a pain in the ass to set up, comparatively.
Could never get it working right on my debian server.

Why ftp? That's got a lot of the same problems as samba, and I have less experience in running an ftp server. Plus, some firewalls stop you from connecting to port 21.

I don't use kodi for my media centre. I have a ps3 hooked up to my TV with movian installed on it. (kodi hasn't been ported yet)
Any time I've tried to use kodi in the past, there's been a better way to play media on the device.

Why would I buy software when I could share software? Same reason I go to the library instead of buying books.

Because Sup Forums is comprised of about 95% of those losers you worked with when you were just starting out. You know those IT support losers working not even in a tech company but in some shitty hospital or insurance company. They're middle aged and haven't accomplished anything other than entertaining other losers about their stories of being arrested in their late teens. They feel resentment toward anyone actually trying to make it and not going into IT support. They're almost all losers here and you should ignore them.

>library
>Touching the same books as poor people
Enjoy your scabies, matey.

Back when I paid (4 or 5 years ago) it was the first way I could manage to get mkv files to stream properly to a Samsung smart TV's native player. For whatever reason any other dlna server wouldn't work (the TV would see the files, but not be able to play them. This despite it not being a transcoding issue, since the TV could play files on a USB drive no problems, but over network it wouldn't work).

The Serviio guys have been pretty great with frequent updates too; they added in remote steaming that works great and that has a decent web interface to boot.

>stealing intellectual property is fine when it's media
>stealing intellectual property is not fine when it's a tool
Nigger, you are retarded.

>samba is a pain in the ass to configure
>download samba from your distro's repo
>add the folders you want to share to the config file
>add user
>set password

What's so hard about it?

Jesus. You guys can't even afford to pay for a plex license. I don't know why the fuck I'm even on this website...

This is what happens when the 'software as a service' nonsense is internalized by consumers.

I can afford it, but I don't like how things have to go through Plex servers when I should only need to have a connection between my server and my remote device.

Banks and credit companies have fraud departments for a reason.

I just get angry when I pay for something and it turns out to be something less than advertised. Spotify is a prime example of this. I was promised "unlimited downloads" when I payed for premium. The reality was that it limited me to about 4,000 songs. This kind of thing happens a lot. Now I just pirate what I want and if I end up liking it and actually using it I'll pay for it. I just spent the money for a legit version of a dashcam app I use because I learned it was a quality piece of software.

Many Europeans don't really understand credit cards, as they aren't really as commonly used as ATM cards are.

In the Americas at least, credit cards give you an extra layer of protection against fraud.

There is literally no difference economically or morally between pirating software and pirating a season of a TV show. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

They don't have permission to use mom's credit card to buy an user's "virus app".

>it's a "will shell out $4 for a latte but not $1 for an app" thread

When I pay $4 for a coffee, I get a decent cup of coffee that does the job. I would not pay $4 if 95% of the time I got an empty cup.

It's just to connect you through a firewall to your server. Once the connection is set up you talk directly to your server.

You need to sign into Plex on your remote device before you can access your server. There is no need for that except to keep you paying a subscription for something you should only have paid once for, or to monitor what you are steaming. Both of those site be anathema to any reasonably intelligent person.

*should, not site

Why should I do that? If plex defaults the files not going through their sever I'd rather not use it.

It's to negotiate the connection between the devices. You need a third-party server for it. This is not unusual or new. The only difference is with plex you pay for it.

I have no problem paying for it because I'm not a miserable loser like you.

I meant to say

If plex does not defaults the files not going through their server id rather not use it.

Jesus. The files don't go through their server. It's just to negotiate the connection between devices. This site really is full of tards.

You don't have to pay for plex though.

I can go straight to my server (using my wan IP and correct port) using Serviio. No third party needed to negotiate the connection. Plex could allow this, but they'd rather keep milking their users for monthly payments so they force you to go through them. No thanks.

Jesus the files go through their servers, it's not to negotiate the connection between devices. This site is full of retards.

I pay for it - bought the lifetime license.

> What's so hard about it?

1. Didn't work after first configuring it. Problem wasn't obvious in logs.
2. Server didn't allow clients to continue downloading a file if it hasn't connected in a long time. (e.g. if I play a file half way through, pause it, and resume playback a couple of hours or days later)
3. Server doesn't show up in clients most of the time.

Also, there's other configuration things I have no idea how to do with samba, like not requiring a password for certain clients, or using advanced http auth. (e.g. openID, or whatever facebook calls their standard)

I guess I could do that with PAM, but I presume that's way more effort.

I'm sure samba isn't that hard to set up, but it really was impossible when I tried it with this server.
For the sake of comparison, I was high as fuck when I did a lot of the nginx configuration. (I was entirely sober every time I tried using SMB)

>In the Americas at least, credit cards give you an extra layer of protection against fraud.

That's the case everywhere, PCI-DSS requires processers to reimburse you fully if you lose money due to something that's not your fault.

Wow. You guys are so incompetent you can't even get plex to work.

The only time when the data goes through the plex servers is when they can't negotiate a connection between your server and the client. They then try to relay the data through their servers but the data rate is pretty low.

>For whatever reason any other dlna server wouldn't work (the TV would see the files, but not be able to play them. This despite it not being a transcoding issue, since the TV could play files on a USB drive no problems, but over network it wouldn't work).

Did other files work?
Did you try demuxing them?
Any kind of debugging?

>i was high as fuck when

Opinion discarded, potheads can't do anything that requires more than 10 seconds of attention

>plex license
this is a thing?
what the fuck?

The only time when the data goes through plex's servers is when the files you want to play go through it.

>asks for a dollar
Let me be honest here: I never paid a single "app" developer on the Google Appstore. I quite frankly don't trust Google with my credit card. I generally don't trust online services who want to have my credit card number and store so they can charge me what they feel like when they feel like it.

I have donated to a few F-Droid developers with Bitcoin.

I won't know the current situation with Windows but it used to be the case that if you bought the game you had to fight some copy protection garbage all the time so even if you bough it you'd be better off just downloading a cracked version.

IIRC (it's been years!) avi files would stream ok but not mp4s or anything in an mkv container. Even though mp4s and mkvs would play fine through the TV's USB port. It was weird, had something to do with an application profile setting on the TV I think, but that setting couldn't be changed. Don't remember exactly what the problem was.

Yes that's exactly the point in trying to make. They only go through the plex server if there's no other way.

>How do you think it is safer to use a CC with a random reader in a store or even handing it to a waiter?

This attempt at an argument is just silly. I don't have any cc registered with the google appstore and I don't give it to waiters either.

Saying that it's alright to shoot yourself in the foot because shooting yourself in the hand also hurts is just foolish.

Exactly.

You should work on your reading comprehension

>Opinion discarded, potheads can't do anything that requires more than 10 seconds of attention
>potheads

No, 2cb.
I presume you at least finished reading that line of text.

If there was something I forgot, or did incorrectly, I'm sure I'd have caught it one of the many times I attempted to get it working.

Also forgot to mention the amount of load serving files over SMB to put on the CPU.

Sure thing bro, whatever your lazy pothead ass say.

I read it again. I agree with you. You make the same point I'm making.

Yup, you need to work on your reading comprehension, save the thread and go do that

k

>pay 1$ for software
>it gets acquired for 20 billion dollars

If I pay for it am I allowed to change and redistribute the code?

kek

>I quite frankly don't trust Google with my credit card. I generally don't trust online services who want to have my credit card number and store so they can charge me what they feel like when they feel like it.

There's this thing called gift cards you can buy with cash. Stop being dumb.

>download a terabyte of cp and gore
>it's fine, just 1s and 0s
>write a plan and time you're gonna blow up the White House along with a will and video about your plan
>it's fine, just 1s and 0s
>someone who knows you sends it to the FBI
>they can't arrest me for a bunch of 1s and 0s
>your house gets a visit by the feds
>officer, it's fine, it's just 1s and 0s
See how well that'd hold up in court.

>if I pay for a movie am I allowed to change and redistribute it
No, dipshit.

No thanks then

Why would I pay money for some proprietary shitware when there are open source projects I can support instead?

I paid $3.99 for an ad-free "pro edition" of a Manga reader. I like the reader -- it accesses files from websites' pages, and you can download chapters of the manga to take offline.

The payment was to lose ads (they are never in the manga, but in the menus), and to have unlimited downloaded chapters, which is really nice, since I have a 30-min commute without wireless on my iPad

because the average fa/g/got, can't comprehend the amount of work that is spent in developing software.

just a bunch of circle jerks, sucking aids infected arch dick

/thread

If it's free (both kinds) software then you can use it for a while before you can buy/donate to it.