/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440P-14-Laptop-Core-i7-4900MQ-2-80ghz-16GB-256GB-SSD-01-/172642111607?hash=item2832459077
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What are you expecting in the mail, /tpg/?

1. Which Thinkpads do you own?

2. Which Thinkpads do you use regularly?

X41t, G40, T42 and 380ED
I use the T42 and x41t most often for shitposting, selling stuff on ebay, listening to music.
G40 is just around because its cool, 380ed is around because its old.

Waiting on payment for an rx460 and Pentium g3260 to buy a 1.8" pata ssd and a new battery for my x41t

In order of acquisition:
>T60
>X220
>T510
>T420s
>T420
>spare parts X220
>T61
>G40
>T60p
>W520
>X201s

regular use:
>T601F assembled from the T60, T61, and T60p
>W520
>X201s
>gave X220 to my dad, T510 to my mom, and T420s to a friend

Not really a question to you specifically but entire general. How are the tablet model thinkpads for drawing? I have tried drawing with wacom drawpads but i just cant learn the mapping. Is the x220t good btw?

X230
T430i, except upgraded to top of the line T430 levels (except the wi-fi card, fuck whitelisting)

I use the X230 regularily, the portability is a must for my work. It's also the sweet spot between portability, power and durability.
I'm an automation engineer. Working in a factory is the perfect chance for having your laptop commpletely destroyed by the end of the day, so durability is needed. Small size for lugging the bastard around the factory floor. Better graphics power compared with the X220 for CAD shit on the go.
I actually bought a X260 before, but sold it. More power and far better battery with the extended options, but the durability just isn't the same.

The T430 is just too big to fit snuggly inside a random machine I'm working on.

waiting for my t470 coming this week.

sold a fully loaded t420 for $380 with the *30 series dock.

He lived in town so i didnt even have to waste money on shipping, it was originally $370 but he didnt feel like going to the bank to split a twenty, so i got an extra $10.

Also got a new job, it's been a good week senpai.

Side note:
Anyone know how to stop the screen on a w530 from auto dimming when i sit in the sun, without dragging my power cord outside?

Doesn't make any fucking sense, hurr de durr you're on battery and it's bright, lets just dim the fuck out of your display.

my t420 never did this so i'm assuming it's the thinkpad and not windows.

i might just eventually buy another t420......

>tfw this old w530 laptop is almost fully loaded, i7, the 2gb card, even has a smart card reader but no spectrometer

triggered

1. X200T, X220T, T420, T430

2. X200T and T420, but I'm migrating over to using my T430 and X220T as my main devices.

I fried my W500 a few weeks ago from ignorance of the safety a battery provides.

Do Thinkpads protect HDDs from bring ruined from power surges more effectively than other laptops? Can't try to access the HDD yet but people are telling me I should be worried.

turn off adaptive brightness in windows services

hmm, it's off but i changed the "dim brightness" to 100%, let's see if that fixes it, thanks, never noticed this setting before.

A T470, 256 gb SSD, and one of those autism calming fidget spinners

fuck yes

thoughts on t4*0 vs dell 7000 series, /jii ?

Looks like comparable CPUs are cheaper in Dell and HP than Thinkpads.

thx, what about keyboards ?

Tfw poorfag and can't afford a qt P50. Hopefully when I graduate out of the hell that is uni into a comfy job I'll be able to pick one up for cheap on ebay.

Where is this from, a lenovo ad?

T520, X220, T43, and my sister has a T530 that I sometimes hop on. I use the T520 and the X220 regularly.

plus a 3940QM and a dock

3840QM**

w500 goat laptop speakers?

So.. I just bought a x220.
Which test should I perform on it after arrival?
Just to check "it werks"
Thanks in advance.

Install Trisquel.

Prime95 with OC.

funfact for anyone else wondering: yes that fixed it

turn it off, and also change the "dim percent" to 100%, not sure if bug or intentional, feels more like a bug.

side note: haven't done it yet on my w530, but fucking repaste your cpu/gpu

it dropped temps nearly 10c on the t420 i5-2520/nv4200
(artic ceramic)

first pastebin is ded

Go to the setup
Does it ask for password? if not, great
Go to Security tab -> computrace
Does it say "disabled"? then choose "permanently disabled"

Just installed intel ssd dc s3500 to my T420 and installed a fresh copy of Win10 with creators update...

Holy shit, that thing is so freaking fast... Literally, tell me one reason why you do not use this os and you stick with your outdated win7 with 13gb of patches to keep it working properly..

>dc s3500
holy shit. That SSD will last forever

>Just installed intel ssd dc s3500 to my T420
That is the reason it feels so fast. Not the win10 installation. To get it going even faster, install some lightweight linux distro with systemd.

I'm expecting my T420 tomorrow. It'll be my first thinkpad so I'm pretty excited to tinker with it.

Well. I like to work when I'm not home and I don't have opportunity to backup my stuff everyday. I wanted a drive that I can trust...

I would really like to, if it had software that I work with...
For example, Keil uVision. There's no IDE on linux for Arm development like that. I refuse to use all that Eclipse java bullshit..

I've been enjoying my x230 on Ubuntu (using i3gaps) for the past week.

What all do you use for power management? I want to be getting the best out of my battery life. I have an OEM 9 cell, if that matters.

So I got a P70 from work. Why do people always say that 17" laptops are behemoths and other shit like "more luggable than portable" or whatever? I can hold it with one hand and I'm about as far from /fit/ as it gets. It's literally just a bit bigger than your regular 15".

Hey /tpg/,
the purchasing advice pastebin is kill, so I'll ask directly. Which Thinkpad would be best for dicking around in Windows 98. I have a Windows 98SE desktop, but I need to clean out. I was thinking the T23, since it has a dvd/floppy swappable bay. and takes 1 gb ram. Any thoughts?

Whatever you can find cheapest. I'm partial to the 600X but that's cause I own one.

No use in having over 512MB on 98SE, it starts freaking out and crashing with that much memory.

1. & 2. X230

Thanks!
Also, equipping a mech Hard disk & 4gb RAM... Which upgrade is more convenient... Ssd or 8gb ram?

What if it says enabled?

What do people think about the libreboot X220? It's completely refurbished with freedom respecting components. IPS panel, and a upgraded cooler. Its pretty pricy, up there with the MSRP of the X220 at launch.

Would you get it?

should i get a $100 us 250gb msata or save and get an $45 ebay 128gb msata? i intend to dual boot

Fuck this image

Isn't it super easy just to do Libreboot yourself? If the upgraded cooler is really that much better, then **maybe**, but it seems not worth at all.

How do I remove the thinkpad and lenovo branding from my x220? I don't want to give them free advertising

Anyone here successfully did a BIOS mod to add 802.11 AC to the T430s?

why>

Another X220. Hope GSP doesn't smash up this one. GSP failed to repackage my previous one after their inspection. Arrived with cracks on various parts.

>the keyboard can be replaced for the **20 "classic" one
>both the card whitelist and the battery jewery can be solved with a bios mod
>the individual who made this recommended the T420, rather than the T400 or the T60/T61, both of which have better build quality, superior keyboards and resolution, if you're a die-hard thinkfag

Meant to quote

Is it possible/feasible to install a 1080p screen in a X230?

>When you get a Samsung 850 pro for your new thinkpad but got gimped by sata2.
Reeeeeeeeeeeee

>Isn't it super easy just to do Libreboot yourself?
Yeah it should be easy, but I think the pricing comes from the fact that it's completely refurbished and components respecting your freedom if you're abscessed with every aspect of your computer to be free. I'm honestly tempted to get my hands on this when it launches.

Is the x220t as comfy as I think it is?
The tablet mode looks pretty useful for pdf and ebook reading, also browsing the webz while in the in your bed or toilet.
It also looks pretty good for drawing diagrams.
Should I? Or is it mostly a meme?

I'm going to be living abroad for some time, and I'm bringing with me an upgraded T430 (used as a desktop replacement) and X220 tablet PC to bring along. I was going to get an X201 or X200 tablet PC but I wanted a little extra power for virtual machines.

Am I doing it right?

oh no your computer is on 300% faster in real world performance instead of 350%
no
its a meme
tablet mode is terrible since the touch screen is so inacurate

Welp, I can confirm that Ivy Bridge (XX30 Series ThinkPads) doesn't like 16GB sticks.

Guess I'm selling them with my P50s after all and getting 2x 8GB.

no shit dumbass
computers arent limited by max total ram.
its max ram per slot

The EliteBook 2570p Is small and portable and can have ivy bridge quad cores.

>tablet mode is terrible since the touch screen is so inacurate
fuck, really? it looked so comfy and useful on paper.

Can't speak on the x220T but we had the x230T in high school and it was super nice. Touch screen was pretty good too.

Dat burn-in

Glad I'm not the only who who has this. It shows up bad on anything dark. I have a non-IPS x230 so I didn't expect the screen to be great, but still

I've been using a hand me down macbook for the past couple of years. I'm going to dental school in the fall and need a pc based laptop for some of the clinical applications.

I get a discount with lenovo through my university. Which thinkpad would be good for a student?

Are you sure its not just ghosting?

Mine is an IPS x230.

Ghosting doesn't last 5 minutes

Got a T420s for $150, not sure if price was good or bad, but I'm really liking it so far.

Only problem i have atm is that it disconnects from the wifi more often than other laptops I've had. Don't know what that's about?

Any upgrade suggestions? Was thinking of adding another 240gb or maybe a 480 gb ssd instead of the disc drive, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Currently I go between a surface pro 1 and a t510 for schoolwork (I am a graduate student studying in the humanities, so when I'm away from my apartment I use the former for reading articles and such and the latter for writing papers). I bought the surface pro last october and while it's been great for reading, the screensize and mediocre keyboard make it a chore to write or do any serious work on. On the flipside, the t510 is great for writing, but it is so damn bulky and heavy that it really is not ideal for my usage case.

I would really like to replace both of these devices with just one (maybe keep the t510 for backup) and I am thinking about the x220, 30, or 40.

Could any user tell me about their experiences with any of these smaller options? How is battery life overall? How heavy are these machines? Currently I am deciding between one of these machines or a 2013 google pixel. Both would end up running debian or ubuntu.

Pretty good find considering it has the 1600x900 display. I'd investigate into that wifi issue to see if it's actually an issue and to replace the card if so. I wouldn't invest much money at all into an older thinkpad such as that one but if you're not a poorfag like I am then sure put another ssd into it. I'm 99% sure that you just have to get a drive caddy for it off ebay. I'm not 100% sure if the T420s has a 9-cell battery option but if it does it is definitely worth it to get it if you can find an OEM one.

Speaking as someone who is on 6 semesters with an X220, it is a tad bulky for today's standards, especially if it has a 9-cell battery. If I were in your position I'd stalk ebay for a T450s.

>tfw always feel weird giving thinkpad suggestions because to some degree I'm increasing the price by even a tiny insignificant bit for when I have the money to upgrade

If you're on the move all day then 17' laptops are far from ideal.

However, if you're just working at a desk then 17' can be really nice.

It lasts like an hour on my screen. It clears eventually.

just got an N580 for free. tossed in an old drive with arch on it and runs smooth.

Guys, I'm live booting linux from a usb and I was wondering, is there any way to save settings in a persistent partition? Or is it only files?
I have a norwegian keyboard so changing the settings everything is a fuckin' hassle.

Thanks for the advice. t450s is a little out of my price range right now. I'd like to cover the cost by selling my sp1 and use that money for 90% of the transition.

Trying to update my x230 bios, however I can't since it requires a battery and Idon't have one.

What do?

I have x230t but I don't think touch input inaccurate. The pen is though, on the corners. Tablet mode is comfy for reading and movies, but only in certain positions since it's bulky.

I don't regret buying it personally. If you use linux there's thinkpad-scripts that will switch the touch input and screen automatically when tablet mode it activated.

I have a x230 (only for a week or so, so take with a grain of salt) but coming from a MacBook Pro 13", it's definitely a bit more heavy (esp. since I have a 9 cell battery) but it's definitely not unreasonable. I have little qualms about carrying it around.

Thanks! My desktop Win98 only take 256mb so I didn't know that. What about the 380D?

What kind of battery life are you getting and on what os?

need to buy a new battery for my x220, where should I buy one from? does oem matter? any chinese batteries that work better than oem?

REEE I CAN'T FIND A T430 FHD MOD ANYWHERE

What thinkpad should I get if I want something portable, 6+ hours of battery, excellent linux support, and preferably a 1080 ips screen?

lenovo dell xps 15

why is this allowed

Is a used SLI model Y510p a good deal at ~$500?

Does anyone have any information on the x220 libreboot computer?

So I got my T420 about a month ago or so, and have been really satisfied with it so far, but today it's now giving me "Plugged In, Not Charging"
I read that this is some common Lenovo issue, and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows battery drivers (Win7 by the way), but I'm still getting it.
I tried to use the docking station and the AC cord but still not charging.
In this past month I've been putting a lot of use in this battery (commonly run it to under 15% and occasionally have run it until it's died), so I'm wondering if it's just time for a new one, but what I've read online has led me to believe this is a problem with the laptop.

one of those is useful

With a shitty screen like that, yeah, the tablet.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440P-14-Laptop-Core-i7-4900MQ-2-80ghz-16GB-256GB-SSD-01-/172642111607?hash=item2832459077

Should I buy it?

P series have 4k screens. There is no point of higher res in coding and spreadsheet machines.

4k screens are only in configurations that cost $1500 plus

Get a job you NEET shit.

>missing the point
I own a P50 you dolt.

th-thanks

Alright fellas, I got a t420 and I love it. Problem is, i can't tote it around as easily as I'd like to. I'm looking at getting an x220, i'm wondering if i'd be better to just get a newer model, or should i just get the x220. by the way, i have to be budget conscious. Thoughts?

Welp, nevermind. I just came back to it and it's fully charged. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Can someone tell me where I can get a tp with 8gb ram +

Screen size and res*