/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for girls cant love girls

>Used debian
>still no closer to becoming a cute lesbian girl

I never used Linux but I decided to go full-gentoo right away. So I am now emerging the whole gnome-desktop profile. How long would it take more or less with an old SSD (160 mb /s write), an i5 and 8 gb ram? Its running since 2 hours now

Hello I installed arch linux and am having a gpu/screen rendering problem. When I launch a openbox-session it makes my screen flicker like in gif related. If i unplug one of my screens this goes away but none of my programs launch they just seem to forever load. Im using the amdgpu drivers like a user in the other thread said but can't get this os to work properly. It's making me really sad plz help.

Just in case you think im meeting. Can someone estimate it? Just want to know if I should sleep or wait

Forgot img

how long do you sleep? suggest nap for 3h

My virtual linux and win 7 can't communicate with eachother but they can with my main OS. I wanted to setup samba between the two virtual machines, they are both using NAT and host only. What do?

Is rtorrent still the best?

>Haven't used laptop in a while
>Decide to run pacman -Syu
>Everything goes okay
>When I restart it the screen is just black after it goes through all the boot up stuff and starting display manager and stuff

What do I do now???

What would be a good laptop to put linux on hassle-free?

I'm running linux right now, but I'll probably replace it at some near point in the future and want to know what brands have the least amount of fuck-ups.

Even my one still fucks up after a year of usage(namely due to screenhanging) and stamping out bugs so I just want to avoid unnecessary hassle and just do stuff.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

HP laptops work well with any SUSE distribution (they should because they're partners)

Install a better distribution

make a live usb to rescue your data then reinstall.
I reccomend arch-openrc if you want to stick with arch, otherwise void.

I'm a pleb and I use Linux mint, is there a 'partnered' company for that or Ubuntu variations?

How do I fix the problem though.

>GNUtard trying to increase his ego by forcing the GNU name on everyone

How is Tumbleweed compared to Arch?

certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/

I'm trying to install Debian from a USB drive, and it's prompting for firmware. I have the firmware on another drive, but it's not reading it. If I plug the bootable USB drive in, it's read-only and I can't put the firmware on it. How do I add the firmware on to the bootable USB?

Just consider: the GNU Project starts developing an operating system, and years later Linus Torvalds adds one important piece. The GNU Project says, “Please give our project equal mention,” but Linus says, “Don't give them a share of the credit; call the whole thing after my name alone!” Now envision the mindset of a person who can look at these events and accuse the GNU Project of egotism.

PLEASE! HELP!

Oh, there was a page for that, should have actually looked. Thanks user.

>pacman -Syu
>screen is just black
That's normal.

its not really enough information nigger
go into a tty and see whats happening with x.

I'm not your nigger.

Is this true?

it just says this then screen is black.

What do I do please I'm scared

>systemd

>GNU acts like their userspace is the only userspace for Linux
GNU couldn't write a kernel to save their life, just look at Hurd.

Please why wont you guys help me

Noone is trying to develop hurd nor have they been. They abandoned hurd when linux came along.
Hurd did not fail, something else filled its place.
Stop shitposting. There are people stupid enough to actually believe what you're saying here.
Login to the tty and troubleshoot from there. I dont know exactly what to tell you, its harder to figure out someone elses issues from vague thigns like this than to figure out your own. Id look at xorgs logs first.
If your autism level isnt high enough to figure it out, there is always saving all your config files and data then reinstalling.
I have heard systemd is hell when it doesnt just werk.
Theres just not enough information here to just give you an answer.

I logged into the tty but I don't know what to do from there

you shouldn't have used arch then

why not

I liked using it until this part

you come into this thread that's supposed to be friendly, you spam your help request even when there have been multiple answers already, keep on insisting there has to be a "better" answer than the one's you've gotten and you write like you're 13.

Is it possible that Arch is too much for you? Reinstall your OS with an easier distro and learn a bit about the software you're using, please.

There hasnt been any actual answers though.

kill yourself

alternatively, refrain from installing a real man OS until you have the brain capacity required

what is the use of multiplexers like tmux and screen?

Use a nonfree iso image
Or use the non net installer (full dvd1 I think) and sideload the files on a flash drive via cp to /lib/firmware, or dpkg if you have the deb, then finally reboot.

because arch isn't for mongoloids, it's for high-functioning autists

you don't even belong in plebbit, you're literally 9gag material

all helpful advice

What are some cool terminal commands?

vimtutor

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M size=2G

this website is 18+

They're not telling me how to troubleshoot it at all

I don't think size is a valid option.

Friendly reminder that you AGP scum would just be ugly hons.

Maybe a single lucky twinkhon among you.

how old are you

I am 21

for i in {1..100};{((i%3))&&x=||x=Fizz;((i%5))||x+=Buzz;echo ${x:-$i};}

>new ip

Why can't you guys just help me without memes?

there is no trouble shooting on Arch you fucking mongloid. Reinstall or FOAD.

What's your problem?

y'could look up xorg logs and see where they go. Im pretty sure its /var/log on arch too
y'could try reinstalling the graphics drivers, maybe trying to do so would reveal some broken dependency problem
maybe go on archwiki and look at the systemd article, and see how systemd stores logs, then figure something to look through from there
This is sort of a risk if you fail to update arch regularly. Keeping it relatively updated is important.

signed selfie to confirm it's not a bait and we'll help

he doesn't know how to do any of that though

just let him give up on arch and go back to ubuntu or some other faggot distro

Whats up with all these threads using anime pictures, I'm a weaboo myself but I don't see the point in these huuur look at me I watch anime duur.

Faggots.

>friendly linux general

Gee I wonder why it doesn't have more users.

Was friendly when it started. Had a lot of improvement in terms of knowledge and resources, then turned into the autists go to after dtp.some days it seems like do is actually going smoothly. A trip to this thread explains why

How can I get back that sense of wonder I had when I first started using GNU/Linux

I've tried every "good" distro and many of the obscure ones too. I didn't like gentoo. Debian was okay but apt was too slow. I stuck with Arch and now I've been using it as my only operating system for two years

what do /fglt/

Windows

it's aesthetically pleasing when combined with tech

I don't like Windows

>posts on Sup Forums
>doesn't understand why animu is everywhere

You're about 14 years too late to be asking that question.

I don't understand how to interpret the logs

Wasn't there a history of having app/os-tans bust size correlate with ram usage? It's why DOS-tan and BSD-tan are dfc.

Photoshop-tan should be a 42G MILF.

>I didn't like gentoo
shit taste tbqh

spending hours compiling a program I needed in the next five minutes just wasn't enjoyable

>what is distcc

not worth dicking around with

I didnt like gentoo for complete autism reasons like portage being slow and eselect being an ugly

Get into operating systems design and start working on a free project. Such as the kernel.
Or read LFS.

OSX

Fuck off macfag

>tfw still can't figure out how to fix the black screen problem

No

P L A N 9
L
A
N

this

TempleOS

Never this

Use transmission-daemon + transmission-remote-cli instead.

Can anyone explain this command? I know what it does (it prints the fibonacci numbers), but how the hell does it work?
dc

What is the best free VM software that I can use to test different distros?

qemu

Thanks user

Fuck wasting time troubleshooting. Just reinstall and keep your /home and you'll be back to normal inside of an hour. Maybe install something with a different release model if you're not going to update it often.

You are the dumbest motherfucker I have ever debated, I bet you voted for Drumpf.

But then if it happens again I wont know what to do. That's why I'm trying to figure it out.

Surely just reinstalling everytime isn't a great idea?

weak

>But then if it happens again I wont know what to do.
Don't put something with a rolling release model on a machine that you aren't updating frequently. Do you even know how to access a tty? It doesn't look like it from what I've read.

ctrl+alt+F2, log in, check your X configuration and that you have appropriate video drivers installed

I do but I don't know what to do from that point on. I've had a problem like this before (xorg fucking up) and someone in /flt/ just walked me through it but now I forgot what to do

>didn't seperate home
Start over and use a proper partition scheme from now on

two things,
- "tabs", they turn one terminal into multiple, you can even tile them and view multiple programs at once in a single terminal in tmux (unsure about screen)
- persistence, they can be disconnected from and attached to, this is an indispensible feature when working with remote machines

/fglt/*