How similar is Portugese and Spanish?

How similar is Portugese and Spanish?

Can both sides understand some of the others language?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gXk6PRzooq0
youtube.com/watch?v=3yusAPpjSYU
youtube.com/watch?v=R8DrXK8WS4k
youtube.com/watch?v=GW7YuIy9KCk
youtube.com/watch?v=ybQecR1WuCk
youtube.com/watch?v=wZsNDandeBk
youtube.com/watch?v=uZFfc5hXIFs
youtube.com/watch?v=2fHIq1qbWxs
youtube.com/watch?v=gjhbmN3kLgg
youtube.com/watch?v=oTShQma8lUw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9LCwg3Sik
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DO0XyS8Ko
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We can understand a vulgar level, but at the level technical i do not understand a shit. We can talk on Sup Forums together, but I can not read a physics book in Portuguese.

We can understand them
They are 600% incapable of understanding a single word we say
Every time I went to Isla Mágica I felt like punching the cashier

i can into portuguese
fica pra casa filho da puta!

Che galle de debajo del rio puto

>How similar is Portugese and Spanish?
Very.
>Can both sides understand some of the others language?
Yes to different extents:
Portuguese understand Spanish better than Spaniards understand Portuguese.
Written language is easy to understand; almost no effort needed. You'd need to get into very technical stuff and complex poetry to completely get lost.
Spoken language in not understandable for Spaniards, but I believe Portuguese can understand us better here too. We can have conversations, but slowly -which makes it a very frustrating "grandma" talk from both sides-, otherwise everything flies over our head.
All of this is with EU Portuguese and Spanish, I don't know about LatAm.

we can understand them, but they can't understand us.

youtube.com/watch?v=gXk6PRzooq0

I understand you.

It's simple:

Written portuguese and spanish: 95% the same

Spoken languages: portuguese has a very hard accent that makes words difficult to understand. spanish doesn't

so portuguese understand spanish pretty well
but spaniards only if they speak slowly

not even us can understand you

actually we can understand brazilian but not portuguese

I will rip out your guts and make them into cheap chouriço
Don't you fucking DARE to cross the border

Exactly the same thing sempai.
ps: your version is more understandable than porteños

It is what the mother of a childhood friend of mine screamed at dinnertime. she was Portuguese

is there any latin american spanish accents you can't understand?

or all of them are pretty normal for you

Spanish
>GIVE JOB
Portugese
>GIVE FOOD

I have an easy time understanding written protuguese and not too advanced spoken portuguese as well. Once they start throwing in slang I get completely lost and it kinda sounds like some form of russian dialect.

So when you want to learn both of spanish and portuguese, learning portuguese first is better?

Chilean spanish is almost unintelligible with other spanish dialects

>English
GIVE PAKI COCK

if you want to learn both, then yes, and I would recommend brazilian portuguese, since it's closer to the spanish accent.

chilean is pretty difficult sometimes. (anyways, this can happen inside spain, f.ex andalusia)

but spanish spoken in news/tv/films/meetings is 100% understandable in all hispanic countries

We can't understand them when they speak too fast

>talk shit about enemy countries from centuries ago because butthurt
>spend 25% of your income in "costa"
>spend 100% of your retirement income in "costa"

It goes something like this:

Spanish and Portuguese are very similar when written. I think both sides can very easily understand what they're reading. If I go to /esp/ I'll understand pretty much everything that is being said. As mentioned, unless we're reading really technical stuff or poetry, we'll both be okay.

When it comes to understanding speech it's a different case. Personally I understand most of what Spanish people say. But Spanish people seem to rarely understand what Portuguese people say which, to be fair, is understandable because Portuguese people honestly sound like they're talking underwater. However I think it's not the same when we're talking about Brazilian Portuguese (many of which also have a hard time understanding PTPT). Spanish people seem to understand them better, since they talk in a more open and clear manner.

Personally I think SA Spanish is even easier to understand. I think they speak slower.

I think the best would be to learn Portuguese, yes. And maybe Brazilian Portuguese since it's clearer and easier to understand. PTPT is like hard mode and you'll understand both PTBR and Spanish if you learn it first. Learning PTBR might hinder your understanding of PTPT.

I really depends on the accent. The written language is similar enough that you can understand most of what is said, but the spoken language is another matter entirely. I think Latin American Spanish speakers and Brazilians can understand each other the best. Usually, Portuguese speakers will understand Spanish better than the other way around, especially in the case of European Spanish and European Portuguese. You have to understand that Spanish speakers pronounce every single vowel, while European Portuguese speakers tend to swallow and omit a lot of vowels. There is also the problem of nasal vowels, which are present in Portuguese, but not in Spanish.

So you could say that from the perspective of Portuguese, Spanish has a pretty clear "spelling pronunciation" while the Portuguese seem to swallow half the word.

>PORTUGUESE
>HARD ACCENT

You must be refering to northen portuguese, you guys are the ones who speak like your on a race to finish a sentence. I live 18km from spain and i understand and speak spanish perfectly. However, the spanish people i know around here don't even make an effort to understand portuguese. i guess some of you guys are still buthurt about batalha de aljubarrota...
Still, very very similar languages. But being portuguese one of the most magnificent and beautiful idioms in the world, you wouldn't expect spanish burros to understand it.

Ironically, European Portuguese sounds more Slavic than Romanian, which is basically half-Slavic anyway.

it's the opposite, southern portuguese is the most dificult for spaniards and brazilians to understand. Even I don't understand a few words of this song.
youtube.com/watch?v=3yusAPpjSYU

What about italian? Who understands it better, Spaniards or Portugeese?

>You must be refering to northen portuguese, you guys are the ones who speak like your on a race to finish a sentence
While there's a study that said that Spanish is the second "fastest" language in the world, I still don't understand this meme. We speak just like everyone else.
>However, the spanish people i know around here don't even make an effort to understand portuguese. i guess some of you guys are still buthurt about batalha de aljubarrota...
It's a simpler reason: Portuguese always understand Spanish, making Portuguese "useless" for the average Manolo. Yes, it's the same mentality as "why would I learn any other language, I'm American".
>you wouldn't expect spanish burros to understand it
I'm sorry you are bothered by Spanish being one of the 3 great literature languages, but, come on, get over it.

youtube.com/watch?v=R8DrXK8WS4k northern accent is easier, we pronounce vowels clearer

Spaniards who also speak catalan/valencian/balearic

So they share basically 95% of italian vocabulary

Spaniards I think, I don't understand more than 20% of spoken italian, and 50% of written

Are you serious? Italian is really easy to understand. They speak very clearly.

>I'm sorry you are bothered by Spanish being one of the 3 great literature languages, but, come on, get over it.
Nah u can keep that, i just want the free pussy i get everytime i go to your country
PS: 75% of spanish guys (18-30yo) look the same and have the same haircut, why?

I can understand almost everything of italian. Especially when spoken (the inverse happens in the rest of languages).

It's the easiest language for me, I am even able to watch italian gameplays. They speak clear and we have the same words and expressions for a lot of things

not to me.
It's because the vocabulary is already a bit too different, I still understand it far better than french

Italian is very difficult to understand.
>i just want the free pussy i get everytime i go to your country
You say it as if getting easy touristboos gilrs was some kindof accomplishment.
>PS: 75% of spanish guys (18-30yo) look the same
Because they are, indeed, SPANISH? Did you expect a population of mostly iberian-mediterraneans to be very different? I have to also ask where you went to say this.
>and have the same haircut, why?
It's the fashionable thing to do. Aren't Spanish guys known outside of Spanish because of our hairstyles? I don't know about you, but I like the fringe to the side with gradual sides.

Yeah, they do tend to use a few different words, but it mostly aligns with French:

trovare - trouver - hallar - achar
cercare - chercher - buscar - procurar
mangiare - manger - comer - comer
paura - peur - miedo - medo

Spanish and Italian are very similar: I can understand most of written Spanish, due to very similar vocabulary. Spoken spanish is harder, though.

It's the same the other way around. Portuguese is much more difficult than spanish for an Italian.

Fine by me tbqh, slavic languages sound pretty cool.

Technically, Italian is more similar in vocabulary to French than Spanish or Portuguese, see here:

French is much harder than Spanish to understand tbqh familia

Obviously. I was just saying that Italian and French shares a lot of vocabulary, but French has undergone such a different development than most other Romance languages that it's become unintelligible to all other Romance speakers. Compared to Italian, the French basically only pronounce half of the word.

This makes me wonder if italians can understand french the same way pt speakers understand esp speakers

trobar
cercar
menjar
por

That's why valencians / catalans understand italian almost perfectly.

other spaniards don't.

Do italians understand valencian?
and portuguese?

youtube.com/watch?v=GW7YuIy9KCk

no

Not at all, especially when spoken. Italian and spanish are more similar in both spelling and pronunciation.

No one can understand French, user. They only pronounce half of the word, have a guttural R unlike the other Romance languages and they have up to 17 (!) vowels compared to Spanish's 5 vowels and Italian's 7 vowels.

some of it, much less than spanish though, between 55 and 65%, spanish between 70/90%, galician more than 90%

Catalan/Valencian are even easier than spanish.
Portoguese is much harder, even if you can understand some of it when written.

What border?

Spoken french is hard as fuck, but I can understand most of a written text even with my very poor knowledge of the language based on some trips to Nice

It is forbidden to touch those by law.

t. First in line to inherit a very large property

thought is the same language, catalans have a harder accent than valencians

it's more similar to italian. some words also.

more or less, the accent is pretty nice but certain words got me lost

NO YOU ASS! DON'T SHOW THE PORTUBROS OUR INVASION PLAN!

galicians are cucks
youtube.com/watch?v=ybQecR1WuCk

I understand European Spanish better than Latin American Spanish. I can barely understand anything Paraguayans and Argentinians say for example but Euro Spanish is very easy.

I always laugh when people say that if we joined Spain our language wouldn't disappear eventually.

We literally speak better Galician than Galicians, you have to be insanely deluded to believe we would keep our language in the long-term.

>they even pronounce the final "-d" as "-th"
The ugliest and stupidest accentual characteristic of my city is the one thing the rest of the country is picking up.
FUCK
MY
LIFE

many galicians have blue eyes....is rare here......

for example this guy

youtube.com/watch?v=wZsNDandeBk

>having more than 5 vowels
B-but that is HERESY!

more random videos

youtube.com/watch?v=uZFfc5hXIFs
youtube.com/watch?v=2fHIq1qbWxs
youtube.com/watch?v=gjhbmN3kLgg

There's 7 in Eastern Andalusian too. And I happen to speak that d-dialect.

That's a completely different matter. With Franco anything that wasn't castellano was forbidden, making the bilingual population even rearer.
Before Franco castellano was the official language of the country but the second official language for several regions.

Why do they wear their caps like that?

In this video i can 05% understand what the narrator says, but when the woman talks i get lost. Why is that?

youtube.com/watch?v=oTShQma8lUw

>average manolo

>05%
95%*

I'm not making explicit exactly how it happens. But the truth is that eventually and for whatever reasons at any given time in the future you start losing your language. It's inevitable, it has happened every single time in history with smaller regions that share the same set of circumstances.

It rains a lot

Uy si, rarisimo...

Wow, I can understand a lot too.

Maybe is because I'm more familiar with it but I prefer Brazilian pronunciation tho.

what percentage of this autist speech do you guys understand, she's from central-northern Portugal, where I'm from as well
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9LCwg3Sik

ignore the eyebrows

Parece un moro con ojos azules

La comparación no tiene sentido, Galicia es pequeña e irrelevante, es normal que el gallego no tenga tanta importancia como el castellano.

>mfw I completely understand the man too
>mfw I cannott comprehend the woman either

But the Galician becaming weakear and weaker is thanks to the PP.
> Preguntado por este periódico, el departamento de Jesús Vázquez ha eludido valorar el gran aumento del monolingüismo en castellano entre los niños que refleja el estudio. La consellería considera que el informe del IGE demuestra “el alto equilibrio en el uso de las dos lenguas cooficiales conseguido en la enseñanza no universitaria”. Y subraya que el gallego sigue siendo el idioma hegemónico en Galicia porque los que declaran hablar esta lengua siempre o mayoritariamente suman el 50,9%. Lo que no recoge el comunicado de la consellería es que ese porcentaje alcanzaba el 56,4% hace cinco años y el 61,2% hace una década. A Mesa pola Normalización Lingüística afirma que el retroceso del gallego es “un reflejo claro de la política” de la Xunta.
>Cuando tomó posesión como presidente, el popular Alberto Nuñez Feijóo impulsó un modelo lingüístico en las escuelas cuyo pilar básico —el “derecho” de elección del idioma por parte de los padres— ha sido tumbado sucesivamente por varias sentencias que, según acaba de revelar el Tribunal Superior de Xustiza de Galicia, la Consellería de Educación ni siquiera está acatando.

>not including slovene master race language
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DO0XyS8Ko

*Irrelevante relativamente, sin animo de ofender

99%

not bad!!

75% consiguió la permanencia?

sim, por 3pontos

I'd be surprised if Catalán ever disappears just like I would be surprised of Portuguese being lost be the Portuguese.
Madrilean here and if I pay attention, I understand practically everything. Unlike with where I don't need to put my full brain to understand the man.

Portugal is tiny and irrelevant too, it's just not as tiny nor irrelevant. It would simply mean it would take longer, it's a matter of time. I find it quite sad that the last region to speak Galician properly isn't even in Galicia, and it's pretty evident that Galicians aren't going to be the ones to preserve it.

A language won't disappear per se obviously, but it will always eventually be reduced to second place in it's home turf and with a residual population.

>tfw when portuguese is the 6th natively spoken language in the world
>muh galicians

>Discussing a hipothetical scenario where Portugal joins Spain
>Not paying attention

I still disagree with that.
Catalán for forbidden for 40 years, yet it's the primary language of Cataluña. This is because of the people of Cataluña, who kept it alive even in dire times.
If there's any country that wouldn't allow Castellano to overcome their own mother tongue, that is Portugal.

the here same too

I understand few of spoken Italian but very little of written Italian, actually I understand written French more.

I literally dont understand a word that she said

you're canadian, no surprise

It's already happening there, it's just that Catalans are putting up a gargantuan losing fight so that doesn't happen to their language.

It's a tiring, and very fatiguing fight, a fight that bruises unity within a country and within a regional nation itself, and one best not fought, but avoided.

vela y monolingo

"pavor" can be used as a synonym for "miedo" in Spanish. Idk about Portuguese

yea pavor is also a thing in portuguese