/dcsvt/ - Daily C security vulnerability thread

Previously Welcome to /dcsvg/ where we discuss security vulnerabilities caused by stagnant C/C++ which is preventable by default by modern languages and their compilers.

>ITT
Use-after-free vulnerability in fs/crypto/ in the Linux kernel before 4.10.7 allows local users to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference) or possibly gain privileges by revoking keyring keys being used for ext4, f2fs, or ubifs encryption, causing cryptographic transform objects to be freed prematurely.

>Exploit summary
This exploit would let an attacker invoke denial of service in Linux. Authentication is NOT required to exploit this vulnerability.

>Caused by
Use after free.
Here’s a simple example of user after free in C, it's a valid C code:
uint8_t* pointer = (uint8_t*) malloc(SIZE);
if (err) {
abort = 1;
free(pointer);
}
if (abort) {
logError("operation aborted before commit", pointer);
}
>How modern languages tackle this issue:
Like C++, Rust uses the RAII approach everywhere (Resources Acquisition Is Initialization). That means that every variable is deterministically freed when it goes out of scope (= a pair of curly braces). So with “safe” Rust, you NEVER need to worry about freeing memory.
But Rust doesn’t stop there. It goes a crucial step further. It won’t let you access memory that was freed! That’s enforced via the Ownership rules.

In Rust, variables have a property that’s called Ownership.
An owner has the rights to use its data freely. Also, it can lend its data for a limited lifetime (= Borrowing).
Moreover, data can only have a single owner. Thus, the scope of the owner dictates where the data will be freed (via RAII).

TLDR: C == GUARANTEED SECURITY EXPLOITS
>Why does windows has less exploits in comparison
Written in C++, it has RAII

Other urls found in this thread:

gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Integer-Overflow-Builtins.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2C2lP8_tNE
github.com/google/sanitizers
hacks.mozilla.org/2013/12/gap-between-asm-js-and-native-performance-gets-even-narrower-with-float32-optimizations/
research.cs.wisc.edu/areas/os/Seminar/schedules/papers/Deconstructing_Process_Isolation_final.pdf
daniel.haxx.se/blog/2017/03/27/curl-is-c/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Look up CVE-2017-7374

>which is preventable by default by modern languages and their compilers.
Rust won't prevent integer overflow bugs any more than C or C++ will.

Who said anything about integer overflow?

Dumb C tard fuck off

This thread is about security vulnerabilities. Integer overflow is a security vuln.

Which is why rust has checkedadd()

Not by default.

GCC C has gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Integer-Overflow-Builtins.html

>Not by default.
Nice try, NSA

Try actually using the languages you shill.
The Rust compiler disables overflow checks in release builds.

And it doesn't do that in debug builds. Nice try diverting the attention from though, fucking CIA nigger

Test cases are not all encompassing.

It's quite easy for an integer overflow to escape testing, and in rust it'll quite easily land into release like with any other language.

You're a retarded diehard safety fag who won't listen to any reason whatsoever, and you clearly know nothing at all about actual software development.

>safety is bad
I know would say that why don't you try fucking right off, cocksucking faggot?

>>safety is bad
Can you point to the post where I said that?

are you just RUST shill?

I'm not seeing it.
I see me calling you a diehard safety fag, but I don't see anywhere where I say that safety is bad.

Not only C doesn't prevent integer overflow but also C doesn't prevent invalid pointer returns. What a shitty language.

What?

Nice backpedaling. 12 shekels will be deposited into your NSA/C defense force campaign account for trying to divert attention.

LOL repeat after me:

C was a _____

>C doesn't xyz
It makes a lot more sense if you think of it as portable assembler. It gives you control over the hardware instead of trying to hide it.

Yes, I know that, what's your point?
I'm not a diehard Cfag so I'm not going to defend that, but it's only when you start doing low level things where you start to appreciate the language not getting in your damn way all the time.
Low level programming is inherently unsafe.

Backpedalling? where?
If you think me calling you a diehard safety fag means I think safety is bad, then you'd be wrong.
I don't think safety is bad, but I think people like you who defend it AT ALL COSTS and disregard any reasoning and coherency are severely retarded.

Example:

"""portable""" garbage is for people who cannot write ASM

Write a UEFI bootloader in your safe language, scriptkiddies.

>Backpedalling? where?
>I'm not a diehard Cfag
>If you think me calling you a diehard safety fag means I think safety is bad, then you'd be wrong.
Are you alright there, user?

does these threads just a shill thread?

Yeah, I shill for safety. I shill for security

It's possible in Rust, you just need a few unsafe blocks.
Rust is actually a proper systems language, and it's safety features can be easily bypassed when needed.
It's just that it's easier and simpler to do in C or C++.

Of course, if you have any competency in programming at all, safety shouldn't be a concern for you, so C is a good choice for simplicity reasons.

It's hilarious how Rust faggots can only advocate for their shitty language by attacking other languages.

Point to the post where I claimed I was a Cfag.
You don't have to be a Cfag to defend C. Actually I'm not even defending C, I'm just dispelling your stupidity.

Literally the only people who bash C is retards who don't know how to program.
t. Rustfag

>Rust is actually a proper systems language, and it's safety features can be easily bypassed when needed
_Its_ safety measures are unnecessary for competent programmers. Now learn some grammar and fuck off.

Oh no it's not like C tards attack other languages for what shortcomings they have, amirite?

I agree.

No, you're just seeing it that way.

Name one competent C programmer

>windows has less exploits
Oh my god

Linus Torvalds

The reason Rust is being pushed so hard is because social justice warriors have found great difficulty penetrating the communities of open source system coders who use C and/or C++.

The "safety" features give advantages to lobotomised Feminist studies "coders" who are trying to "disrupt" these communities while breaking the knee caps of everyone else who knows what they are doing.

Literally nothing in Rust actually solves problems that haven't already been solved by RAII in C++ and even some GC/stack/heap techniques in the arguably superior but slower D compiler.

The advocates are all social justice warriors and this is their "long march through the development communities". They are employing critical theory against their main targets C and C++, by criticising everything it is and does and demonising its users. They've held back their "cis het white male" jargonism for now, but once they have established a foot hold "killer app", expect them to go wild with it. Just read through the big throbbing CoC they've erected on their main website.

Rust is kill. Don't touch it, spit on all its advocates.

Thanks for the most bug ridden and vulnerable kernel in 2017, Linus. Consider your project dead after you die as well

That would be Windows.
Torvalds doesn't even write any code for Linux anymore, he just merges pull requests.
Someone else is responsible for the bug in the OP.

D hasn't removed their GC just yet, Rust is still miles ahead of D. Nice try to appeal gullible Sup Forums babbies with your muh SJW bogeyman so they forget about the elephant in the room called security and privacy

wont you tired of samefagging?

>t. Rustfags

> He thinks a bloated language can replace C
They lost before they even started. All the bloated languages that can't be deeply understood without devoting your life to them will eventually die.

C++, C#, Java, Object-C, Go, Python, all this shit will eventually go down in flames. Languages like C and Lua will prevail.

By the way, do you know any more small, may be niche, languages like C and Lua, that were not dissolved into uncountable dialects? Regex would count too, I suppose, there aren't too many differences once you know the basics.

>The "safety" features give advantages to lobotomised Feminist studies "coders" who are trying to "disrupt" these communities while breaking the knee caps of everyone else who knows what they are doing.
Hmmmm
>Use-after-free vulnerability in fs/crypto/ in the Linux kernel before 4.10.7 allows local users to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference) or possibly gain privileges by revoking keyring keys being used for ext4, f2fs, or ubifs encryption, causing cryptographic transform objects to be freed prematurely. CVE-2017-7374
> The keyring_search_aux function in security/keys/keyring.c in the Linux kernel through 3.14.79 allows local users to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and OOPS) via a request_key system call for the "dead" type. (CVE-2017-6951)
>The vc4_get_bcl function in drivers/gpu/drm/vc4/vc4_gem.c in the VideoCore DRM driver in the Linux kernel before 4.9.7 does not set an errno value upon certain overflow detections, which allows local users to cause a denial of service (incorrect pointer dereference and OOPS) via inconsistent size values in a VC4_SUBMIT_CL ioctl call. (CVE-2017-5577)
>The KEYS subsystem in the Linux kernel before 3.18 allows local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and system crash) via vectors involving a NULL value for a certain match field, related to the keyring_search_iterator function in keyring.c. (CVE-2017-2647)
All these in 2017. I'm afraid your Sup Forums bullcrap isn't solving any of these

Nigger

What are you talking about? C is a bloated language.

>Sup Forums babbies
Notice how Rustfags can never call you a faggot or a nigger. They have to use infantalisation terms. This is because their SJW-programming short circuits the moment

>D hasn't removed their GC just yet,
And?

C++ has shared_ptr, unique_ptr and weak_ptr, Rust literally has no point except for penetration of existing communities by the same freak Firefux show that fired the creator of javascript (Brendan Eich) because he exercised his democratic right to fund a lobbying firm. In truth, just to stop his resistance against w3c's agenda of inserting DRM into HTML5.

We are well aware of your agenda, don't think for a minute we are ignorant of it.

>Sup Forums outgrouping

Back to you go.

>C
>bloated
I mean what's less "bloated", FORTH? Scheme? Go fuck yourself.

Well, if C is bloated, then Rust is your mom.

This is the nature of a monolithic kernel. There will always be bugs in a monolithic kernel. Microkernels are the answer.

Isn't it amazing when C toddlers defend Linux when Linux itself is literal SJW garbage?

>D hasn't removed their GC just yet,
>And?
Suffers from sub par GC performance. Fuck off, idiot, D isn't all that bad but I'd wait until they completely remove GC to actually compete against Rust

>Notice how Rustfags can never call you a faggot or a nigger.
But this one just did.

>>Sup Forums outgrouping
>
>Back to you go.
What you don't realize is Sup Forums and /lgbt/ are actually crossboarders. Never been to Sup Forums? I thought so

(((Rust)))

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER XDXDdddDDDxD

Am I Sup Forums yet?

>((()))

Reported to SJW HQ

You can kiss goodbye to you Shariablue cents, goy

kek

>Sending a Sup Forums fag to /lgbt/ manually
How new are you?

C++'s scoped pointers don't have any support by the compiler; shared_ptr doesn't protect against data races and none of them stop access after the resource has been destroyed, moreover Rust's type checker guards against data races, iterator invalidation and other things C++ doesn't because it can't due to the fundamental design choices it made early in its lifetime.

People outgroup Sup Forums because you're all incapable of not dragging your dumb internet crusades into unrelated topics and use it to divert from topical discussions, like you just did with your response.

>XD
get out
... and take your rusty shit with you

C++ already has awesome sanitizers so your MUH SAFETY bs isn't welcome here
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2C2lP8_tNE

whoa that was fucking hardcore

> C++
Kill yourself too

>C++
LMAO Even C is bettar than that fucking SHITE broken language

>shared_ptr doesn't protect against data races and none of them stop access after the resource has been destroyed
Yes they do if you use the locks properly, holy fuck are you retarded? You sound like you haven't written a line of C++.

>Rust's type checker guards against data races, iterator invalidation and other things C++ doesn't because it can't due to the fundamental design choices it made early in its lifetime.
Except it can if you use the right tools. e.g >People outgroup Sup Forums because you're all incapable
>We outgroup you into this group because you're part of this group
Good to know your Rustic mind can't recognise circular logic. Cool argument bro.

>awesome sanitizers xzDdddDDDDxdd
welcome to 2007, the year you were born

Nuke this board already, it's all stupid generals, falseflagging shills, and Sup Forumsermin.

OH MY GOD I HATE C++ NOW!!!!!!!11XD

I AM NOW A FULLY FLEDGED TRANNIE-USING RUST. YOUR CODEBASE IS NOW SAFE FROM MY MENTAL ILLNESS.

THANK YOU BASED (((MOZILLA))).

->60059147
>C++
You tried. No (you) for you

>xzDdddDDDDxdd
Seriously if I didn't know any better I would have thought the Rust faggots on this thread were false flaggers.

But clearly they're this retarded. Threads like this are why no body likes your shit language.

He didn't say safety was bad, he said you were a safety fag. Which even if one takes context into account and a negative connotation, only means that safety is bad in your case. And I can see his point. You post these threads daily and seem either paid or obsessed. Anything in that extreme is bound to be bad in some ways. I think the go-to though is a shitty community which constantly baits and shills a language that may well have been decent, but now everyone hates. And its mostly because of you screaming incoherently about safety.

Thus you are a safety fag. Mods you don't have to ban rust threads, but can you please ban rust shitposters at least?

Oooooh, struck your nerve, haven't I?

>waaa mods ban them they hurt my feelings
Fuck off back to plebbit, NSA cuck

C really was a mistake after all. 45 years and these bugs still pop up

>Amount of C apologists ITT
Fucking WEW. No wonder there, CIA posts on Sup Forums now

HURR DURR DON'T BRING THIS UP GOYIM, C IS GOOD

>NSA cuck
>Implying Mozilla is not compromised after Eich was removed

>Yes they do if you use the locks properly,
This isn't something enforceable by the compiler in C++ and "it works right if you don't make mistakes" is a tangent to the idea that rust is better because it stops these errors from happening by way of compiler checks in the first place.

>Except it can if you use the right tools.
These are runtime debugging tools; they can't catch all errors of those categories and they only work if and when the control flow reaches the bug during testing.

>Good to know your Rustic mind can't recognise circular logic.
Generalizing about someone from the negative qualities of a group isn't the same as dismissing someone for solely being part of it. You don't seem any better at this.

Holy fucking shit, can Rust faggots be any more fucking shit. This thread is so fucking horrible holy fuck. C is a perfectly fine language, you can not blame it for the mistakes of inept programmers who do simple things like use after free, or don't check their buffer bounds.

This. If you are defending C after all these you are either an idiot suffering from baby duck syndrome or an actual paid NSA shill.

China, Russia and (((Israel))) are constantly attacking our cyberspace and there are idiots that defend C in this decade

Why do you have to blame the programmer if the language/compiler is able automate tedious tasks for you?

So this is the power of Linux

You mean the power of C

because those things cause extra overhead if they are happening at runtime, otherwise you could just employ static analysis and be able to achieve the same results.

>This isn't something enforceable by the compiler in C++
Which is a GOOD THING because that's not the compiler's job. That's what sanitizers are for.

>These are runtime debugging tools
WRONG.
github.com/google/sanitizers

> Generalizing about someone from the negative qualities of a group
>Still employing circular logic by outgrouping as priori
What part of circular logic does your tiny head not comprehend?

>you could just employ static analysis
Why is that optional? Static analysis should and must be compulsory in compiler or project management.

Linux is not a hobby project. I'm pretty sure people that write Linux is smarter than you and yet they keep "mysteriously" forgetting about using static analysis

Fresh OC

Why does C attract underage memelords? Legit question.

Why does Rust attract homosexuals?

Why do pro rust shitposters all sound like they learned to speak "Sup Forums" from Sup Forums?

Case on point.

>you can not blame it for the mistakes of inept programmers who do simple things like use after free, or don't check their buffer bounds.
Basically every major project written in C has a not-insignificant portion of incompetent programmers then, based on the long track-record of vulnerabilities. It's good we can agree C users are too inept and need better tools then.

Rust (and many other safe languages) run their checks at compile time with zero runtime cost, and C and C++ do not have enough sophistication in their type system to support the same level of static analysis.

>Which is a GOOD THING because that's not the compiler's job.
Type checking your program to guard against clear semantic errors is exactly what the compiler's job is and the more well-developed the type system, the better job it will do of it.

>WRONG.
All three of the tools listed in the title of that video have runtime components that are linked to the resulting binary. Check their documentation in the llvm project.

>What part of circular logic does your tiny head not comprehend?
Sorry, your understanding of the idea seems thin and you're bad at explaining your interpretation of it in relation to what I've posted. I guess you'll have to take solace in calling me dumb some more :^(

This

>no GC
Enjoy your memory leaks, rustfags
I'll stay comfy over here using Go

Rust does a pretty good job preventing memory leaks but some leaks aren't prevented. It's the same with GC though

How exactly is that perfectly valid C code? You free the pointer and then use it again. Obviously that's not valid.
Yes if there is no error, the pointer won't be freed, and the program will compile and execute. But I fail to see why you'd free the pointer at all if there is an error, and I definitely don't see that as good code.
I wouldn't blame the language for that, I'd blame sloppy devs
Unless you know of a valid reason to free that pointer in the if statement.

It's not invalid and hence it compiles

It's hilarious to see how many languages have to tried to upend C and failed miserably.

C++ is the only one that really can, and even when it's used in place of C, few of the "features" of C++ are used.

>shit library devs are the language's problem!

Just use a sandboxed language if you're this retarded.

Is whether or not it compiles all you care about? That's a poor philosophy, IMHO
I would consider this a bug or a runtime error
For one, relying on compiler's to be smart is bad practice.
For two, even "safe" languages have buggy code that runs but gives an unintended result. The only difference is that this buggy code leads to unsafe memory.
If code is buggy, it should be fixed. I don't see why it is the languages fault for people writing buggy code.
Under your definition of "valid code" bugs are perfectly valid, and run time errors can emerge from valid code. I can't say I agree with that understanding.

now that multiple c to j.asm compilers exist, and of course any language really can do this. why not just move a javascript interpreter into the kernel and forget native code entirely

it's the most popular language with the most powerful modern oop opensource codebase.

portability would be solved forever and we can really do what we've been flirting with for years now, this is obviously what we need

browsers are the portal to 90% of average users programs, this can finally end this and make the computing world make sense.

Q1. Won't this be way slower than C or something?
WRONG! asm.js is approaching C speeds even with little investment being done so far, infact C compiled into asm.js is actually faster than Clang compiled code for box2d game engine.
Source: hacks.mozilla.org/2013/12/gap-between-asm-js-and-native-performance-gets-even-narrower-with-float32-optimizations/

Q2. what about vm overhead! it can never truly be as fast!
WRONG!. Infact according to a study by Microsoft a shift to virtual memory protection instead of hardware based irq we can increase speed by 25 - 40%
using a conservative 80-90% vm overhead we can actually gain a modest speed increase with our new kernal j.asm interpreter
source: research.cs.wisc.edu/areas/os/Seminar/schedules/papers/Deconstructing_Process_Isolation_final.pdf

Q3. Won't this be insecure!
WRONG! how often does javascript break out of sandbox today? Anyway. libcurl is written in one of the most insecure and outadted languates ever C, with no garbage collection and shitty manual memory management its practically a joke in the security world; yet libcurl is constantly and exhaustively searched for issues and therefore remains relevant even now
source: daniel.haxx.se/blog/2017/03/27/curl-is-c/

so Sup Forums, is it time to dump native code and move everything to the worlds most popular language?
I say yes