Incompatibility issue? Help

I just recently got some significant upgrade parts for my computer, a Ryzen, and an AB-350 motherboard. I put em all together, building went smooth and flawless, it boots and... My monitor cant detect the GPU or the motherboard video cables.

Using a completely functioning 850 watt PSU, a GTX 980, 16 gb of RAM(DDR4), the Ryzen 1700, and the motherboard. The monitor is a great BenQ monitor I purchased a year ago, supporting that 1900 x 1280 resolution or whatever, I cant be specific, I dont have the packaging for it.

Did I misspick parts or something? It was just the Ryzen, the motherboard, and the 16 Gbs of ram for the board I picked up. Every time I boot up the computer with less and less things connect, included RAM, it has no issues booting, but still, the monitor can't detect the display. The fuck do I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350-gaming3_e.pdf
ebluejay.com/ads/item/5584675
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The AB-350 is a gaming gigabyte motherboard, for anyone wondering.

wtf are you even talking about? wtf does monitor can't detect display mean?

You aren't doing something dumb like plugging into the Motherboard display outputs, are you? Because those don't work with Ryzen.

The BenQ monitor cant identify the HDMI or the DVI cables from the GPU or the onboard motherboard port.

And to answer the last question specifically, the monitor allows you to quickly change inputs on the side of the monitor, from D-sub to DVI and HDMI 1 & 2. When the monitor cant get a signal, that means it cant detect the motherrboard or the GPU connections.

No, I am not.
Currently am using the GTX 980 outputs for HDMI and DVI.

My 7700k doesn't have this problem.

Try moving the ram to the 2nd and 4th slots.
Try reseating the CPU.

When I built mine, booted it up for the first time, it held on the 'you want in the bios?' screen for a while, I went to get something to drink. it went passed that point and i had to reboot, this time it took upwards 5 minutes to get to that screen.

basicly just keep shit plugged in and on and wait.

I'll see to trying both these things in a moment.

too bad you are a raging fagot, cant fix every problem in life though.

Oh yea, look up your motherboard guide, my taichi had an absolutely retarded naming sceme for ram and how to place it in.

a1
a2
b1
b2

and to populate it, you put ram in a2 and b2 first.

It was simple shit like that that just made it harder to setup and install then need be.

try another screen?

oh, one more thing, only use one stick of ram, these boards have no issue going to single channel, so you if there is a ram issue, you are less likely to hit it. on a side note plug the speaker in, if the board is on and working it will five you a sequence of sounds you can look up the meaning of.

It may be rams fault. I once had gskill sticks (2x8) but they weren't compatible with my motherboard. I know sounds silly but shit didn't want to start. I found on gigabyte s page official list of supported manufacturers and the model I got wasn't there so I needed to change ram. Now got Kingston - works smooth.

what the fuck is with amd and ram issues?

>he bought AMD

Well i had fx-8350 at that time.

Currently running Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8 GB at 2400MHz, would that be considered incompatible?

You sure it's booting all the way? No beep codes or anything? If the board has a speaker connected it should beep at you if there are memory problems.

Did you check that the GTX 980 works in a different system?

I get no beep issues when doing this.
Yup, No no POST beeps at all.

they are a minority that barely sell outside of oems for fucking years, so the oems just by the cheapest shit no matter what.

the ram issues they have now are due to the 100% new platform.

ripjaw 5 16gb per stick, will not clock higher then 2400 on my taichi when it is rated for 3200. could probably get it to 2600-3000~ if I dicked around with timeings, but decided against that till after the ram compatibility bios in may, or if a bios comes around for my exact sticks

Take out everything, and make sure you plugged everything that needs to be plugged in is plugged in with the correct cables, my psu came with a special cpu cable that needed to be plugged into the pcie area, thats possibly an issue, no idea how smart you are and even if you are, mistakes can be made

after power is confirmed, and make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the cpu header on the motherboard, reseat everything.

If it still doenst work, you got two options

1) motherboard is bad
2) ram is incompatible.

My suggestion to you is buy more ram from a local store, best buy will have it, take it home and test, if that's the issue, buy flare x ram as its the only shit currently 100% compatible, or find the cheapest shit on the compatible ram list, return the ram.

if the ram you buy doesn't work, then it may actually be the motherboard. hers hoping you didn't buy from newegg, as they have a horrendous return policy on motherboards, you will be going through an rma with gigabyte.

ill hope its the ram and you don't have to go through a potentially several month long rma process with them over it.

OP here, just tried reseating the RAM, and using a different monitor, AND using just one stick. Still getting nowhere.

I dont have another system to check the 980's display outputs, all I have to go on is that I used it for over a year and it's never given me any problems, but at the same time, I never tried using the display outputs.

I have doubts, very high doubts that the motherboard is bad. I actually gave the same model motherboard a test drive, with the same parts, and returned it thinking it was the motherboard, a week ago.

As for the other parts, I purchased the RAM and the ryzen online over amazon, yea. I know. But I havent had issues with them since I get the stuff relatively quickly. I'm DEFINITELY leaning towards incompatible RAM.

ok, in that case most likely the ram, if you have a second computer, insert every part one at a time to it to confirm.

Nope, just got this secondary laptop.

All these suggestions are going to sound dumb as trash, sorry:
0) Locate the status LEDs on your board (bottom left corner). With no HDD installed, none of those should be lit except for "BOOT" when booted up.
1) Double check that the ATX 12V connector in the top right of the board and the PCIE 12v supplemental power cables to the GPU are connected
2) Populate only the farthest ram slot from the CPU (DDR4_1). If that fails, try populating only DDR4_3.
3) Move the 980 to the second "PCIex16" slot. If it does work, note that it's working at reduced performance. RMA the board.

RESEAT THE CPU

so its not AMDs problem?

Last PC from them i stuffed around with was a APU a6 and i chucked a $20 ebay 8gb stick in and it worked fine

its an issue that most pc hardware goes through when new shit hits. amd's in nowhere near what intels x99 was.

The issue should be solved almost completely may, but some kits may still need motherboard manufacturer workaround bioses to run fully, Like i said, mine is running 2400 but should get 3200 when compatibility comes around.

OP he, now I'm real skeptical. According to gigabyte's compatible RAM for the motherboard I'm using, the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 (CMK16GX4M2A2400C16) IS compatible with the motherboard, I am really confused as to why the RAM wouldn't be working now.

Make sure you plugged in the power connectors for the gpu.
Check if your monitor can change the input source.
Try a different hdmi/display port/dvi cable.

Did all these things, far earlier before making the thread.

i bet your ram isn't in properly

I'm not an idiot, and this isnt the first PC I've built, nice try.

See Status LEDs?
ATX 12v?
Second PCIe slot?
Disconnect power and short the CMOS CLEAR jumper for a few seconds and try again.

Welp, if you have a hdmi tv try plugging in that, but you either did that already or dont have one. If you tried reseating the cpu and leaving only 1 ram stick( try both ones) and changing the pcie slot then youre fucked.

My 6950X doesn't have this problem

Specifically, the second PCIe slot (x4) hangs off the B350 and runs at Gen2.

If something is fucked with the board PCIe routing/soldering, CPU seating/pin contact, CPU itself, or with the GPU not able to function at Gen3 speed, that will work around it.

If it "boots" as you say, the CPU can already reach the B350 to fetch BIOS and DRAM. So anything hanging off the B350 should be fine.

LEDs? - No status LEDs from what I can see.
ATX 12v and PCI-E? - Check
About to try clearing the CMOS
RAM - Check
Gonna relocate the GPU soon to see if anything works.

Also for pic related, yeah, the GPU cables are just offscreen, and securely .lugged in.

nope, my gfs computer has a gigabyte hd3 mobo and a r5 1400, that kit works just fine.

If you disconnect the SATA cable, does the boot light come on during reboot and go out, stay lit, or not light up at all?

are you sure its ACTUALLY booting? i had this issue and it was actually my motherboard arriving half dead, had to switch to the second bios for it to work

It powers on no problem with or without the SATA plugged in.
Switch to the second BIOs? How would I do that?

Uh, that boot light should come on and only go out when you reach the OS. Without a hard drive attached, it should STAY on.

You're not even starting to boot. Either no BIOS, messed up CMOS settings, or bad CPU seating.

The DualBIOS thing should automagically overwrite a damaged BIOS on the second boot attempt after a checksum fail on the main one. I dunno what is talking about.

Umm there are status leds. 12 and 19 page of the manual.

I'm reading the manual right now I dont see anything on either page, nothing about LEDs.

Ignore this, I was looking at a the ab350 gaming 3.

I 100% doub it could be a CPU seating thing. I made triple sure when I inserted that nothing went wrong, and the CPU was inserted properly and perfectly.

As for the BIOs and the CMOS, I dont know what to do. If I'm not actually booting, how would i go about fixing these?

I just tried resetting the CMOS by touching both metal pins with a screwdriver, as instructed by the motherboard manual. No changes.

you know, something like this? didnt say YOU have it, i just happened to mention its a feature on my board. RMA your motherboard

are you sure your GPU works?

did you try waiting 5-10 minutes?
stock bios boots really long time, I think it has to do with memory training
also check battery, some people got dead batteries with gaming 3 with your symptoms

try clearing CMOS, remove battery and disable PSU for 10 minutes then short terminals

>no beeps
Your motherboard is shit.

>no POST beeps at all.
there shouldn't be any beeps, you have to connect a beeper for that

I dont think my motherboard has swapping BIOs as a feature.

Clearing the CMOS and taking out the battery for a bit now.

>GIGABYTE™ UEFI DualBIOS™

did you actually read the manual?

>Diagnostic LEDs
>Hardware Troubleshooting at a Glance
Onboard LEDs controlled by the system BIOS indicate if a malfunction is occurring, allowing users to quickly diagnose which major component (CPU/DDR/VGA/HDD) is malfunctioning so they may take action promptly.

come on man

I have the B350 Gaming 3 and nowhere does the manual mention how to actually switch the fucking BIOSes. In my case, it has randomly switched twice for absolutely no discernible reason. The status LEDs are basically worthless, too. And who the fuck knows what the beep codes actually mean, because that shit isn't posted anywhere. My Asus AM3+ board had beep codes in the manual but this shit doesn't? What the hell?

I kind of want to return it before my return window closes.

it says in manual. can't you google beep codes?

Beep codes online are for something else, possibly older non-UEFI BIOSes. They match neither the speed or tone of the beeps this board emits. A quick google search shows that no one knows what the new ones mean either. And don't tell me switching BIOSes is in the manual, I fucking have the paper manual in front of me. Not a word.

download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350-gaming3_e.pdf

Here's the PDF. CTRL+F "dual," "bios," and "dualbios." Tell me if you actually find directions on switching between the regular and backup BIOS. Or don't, because you won't.

I have a gaming 5 manual in front of me, it has a section about switching BIOSes. funny.

Well, you paid $100 more. You probably even got a switch. Really regretting B350.

Fuck, you do get a switch. You even get a little error code display.

removing battery, unplugging power(24pin and cpu4 pin), waiting 10 minutes and shorting clear cmos terminals for about 60secs didn't help?

Oh, I'm not having the problems OP has. My mobo just randomly switched from default to backup and back over a 3 day period, and I have no idea why because it didn't even give me beeps when it happened. I don't even really know when it first switched, and I only found out when I wanted to post my CPU-Z in a thread and my overclock was gone. The BIOS's status page also has no indication as to what BIOS you're in, so now I have two F6 versions because it switched back on its own again today.

OP here, did that, no results. Nothing's changed.
I have no clue on what I haven't tried at this point it's driving me insane.

because of ram, keep it on 2133 for this bios revision at least

can you measure battery? might be low on power
are you positively sure 980 is alive and well?
get a $10 used GPU and test

I've got an AB350 Pro4 and I had the same issue with NVIDIA cards
The way I solved it was buying an AMD card desu

My PSU and GPU have been in my system on an older setup for almost a year now without a single problem. I'm positive they're in working condition. I also don't know if I can measure battery power, what's the best way to do that?

I think I'm gonna do that. I was being conservative and only boosting it up to 2667MHz, but with all the teething issues AM4 is having with memory, stock is probably the safest way to go. Funny, the IntelBurnTest and OCCT worked without shitting themselves, but I can't tell whether rebooting will dick around my BIOS anymore.

If you bought your stuff off of Amazon, maybe try returning both RAM and motherboard, and do what says and get some cheap shit video card from ebay. If the monitor still doesn't detect anything with your 980 after a new mobo and RAM, then stick the crappy GPU in. If there's still no image, it's your monitor.

Would a local best buy be a reliable place to buy DDR4 2x8 GB RAM from?

>The BenQ monitor cant identify the HDMI or the DVI cables from the GPU or the onboard motherboard port.

How did this thread last so long?

I was about to tell him to connect something else to the monitor, like a console or TV stick, after reading through the thread again. That's starting to look like the real problem, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure Best Buys only carry Corsair and bullshit brands, so probably (so long as you only buy Corsair from them).

Check your fucking monitor though.

multimeter, it should be 3.3v

I'd jump to this conclusion but my previous setup using onboard DVI, and HDMI ports worked no problem whatsoever, and based on what I've been trying to do it's not even properly booting, so if one of you guys can tell me how that's the monitor's fault I'll change my mind.

Dude, just connect something else to HDMI or DVI. Whichever you're trying to connect the new build through. Stop assuming and troubleshoot.

do you have a tv? connect it to gpu.

Already tried it with another monitor, didn't work.
I've USED the ports on my monitor here before, I don't see how that's assuming.

user, I've had enough coincidential monitor/input/power failures when upgrading something unrelated like storage or ram to always test every possibility.

I agree, the reasson I'm not going over some of thee things is because I've been at this issue for the last 12 hours and tried those things already.
I'm going to go to sleep for now, it's too late for me to continue trying at this. Sorry.

Connect a different screen, like TV
connect a different pc
choose a proper input source on your monitor
make sure the cables are connected properly and deep enough
choose a different output for gpu

This is one of the reasons why I prefer an onboard GPU. At least you can test if you get no display.

your fix is to change the PCI ROM Priority setting from "EFI Compatability ROM" to "Legacy ROM" on the "Boot" tab of the BIOS.

but first, find and older card, boot the pc with it.
go into bios and do above.

Maybe your GPU decided do ruin your life, OP.
Try using another. If the computer boots that way then you have some options:
>throw your GPU into the trashcan
>try to use a headgun and aim to the GPU (after removing the heatsink of course), maybe the 980 gets fixed after that
>ask for RMA

Did you plug it in your graphics card?

this is your solutionI have seen both gtx 970 and rx 470 doing this. this was how I solved the issue.

phew, I got sapphire 390 and got worried here

my 390 got two bioses efi and legacy, no need for another card

Not OP but I have a pretty fucking weird situation happening and you guys seem to know your stuff so maybe you could help me?

Friend of mine has an i3 2120 running a radeon 6850. I have a 970 and gave him my former gtx 760 as a gift when I upgraded, except the pc doesn't boot at all when it's plugged in. I get no image, no nothing, but the fans spin up and all.

Now here's where things get pretty fucking weird. The 760 works on my pc and my 970 works on his (alongside his 6850 of course). We tried switching his PSU and motherboard as well but no dice. Also tried different ram and got nothing.

So why the hell would this cpu simply refuse to work with this GPU in particular for no fucking reason? I ran stress tests on everything and everything works perfectly, but for some ungodly reason this happens.

Any ideas? I've tried other places but no one could help me and this is really frustrating.

it is the same situation. make sure you have the latest bios update. this is about bios not cpu.

it should work after the update. if it doesn't, do this with your old card then put the new one. you would be good to go.

If your motherboard has video out options it'll be set to those on boot untill you go into the bios and change it to your video card.

The bios is up to date, but I will certainly try that, thanks.

>AB-350
It fucking has DVBI and HDMI.. why has no one told him to connect to those ports on his mobo yet? fucking retards

because ryzen doesnt have an onboard gpu, those ports are for the APU's coming later

Went into my bios just to see what it would generally look like so I know what to do when I get to his place later today and found this. I should just untick the uefi boot option and check the legacy boot one right?

yes it seems so.

Remember these fucking things? ebluejay.com/ads/item/5584675

The fact that this thread is still up is why you still need one, or a board with some debug LEDs.

Yes, most UEFI bioses still write debug codes to Legacy Port 80, and you can actually tell what happened when a system won't boot instead of repeatedly guessing.