E-readers

What's the Sup Forums approved ereader?
Are kindle a botnet

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/ebooks.pdf
calibre-ebook.com/download_windows
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Are kindle a botnet
Maybe. Mine is offline from day 1 so no problem here. Only plug in to laptop to recharge battery or upload new batch of books from bibliotik.

I use Pocketbook.
Gets the job done. You upload documents via USB, no online shop or anything.

Kobo Aura One if you don't care about price.

Nook, duh.

Bump for interest.

PRS-300.

Had many good years of service from a Kobo Glo.

Aren't those bad?

Kindle paperwhite in airplane mode permanently is pretty great (except for the fucking lack of epub support without conversion)

Idk if it's a good thing or botnet thing, but they're still pushing updates for my 2011 kindle touch

How terrible is the lack of epub support?
I've looking at the e-books that are available and it seems that Amazon offers a better price/quality than Kobo, when you don't want to spend more than €150. So I might buy a kindle...
But I'm not planning on buying my books via amazon. How annoying is the conversion thing, how long does it take and does it work well?

takes like 10 seconds with Calibre. There are sometimes minor glitches in the occasional word but nothing serious

it's just an extra step that's unnecessary. works pretty as long as your book is pure text with no charts/graphics.

Ok, thanks, I'll probably get a Kindle then.

Kobo Aura H2O

Reading in the pool and on the beach without any concern is pretty comfy.

By the way, how do you guys deal with DRM books? Any reliable plugins for Calibre there?

what do you mean DRM books? I thought the amazon format was the drm (which calibre converts easily)

I only dealt with a drm book once. I used a specialized app to convert it to pdf to read on my tablet (never open pdf on a kindle).

They were good at the time. Even have more resolution than the current regular kindles (non paperwhite), but they are old and hence slow. Also batteries likely need replaced. Mine does.

Got a kobo glo hd. It's nice. Only downside is that a lot of ebooks are not properly formatted and will not display correctly on a high ppi screen. Then again I do love the high ppi screen.

Yea, they're fairly cheap also. I would imagine that they're slow if they have a bunch of shit.
Also it doesn't have a backlight if I remember correctly, which could be an issue.

Kobo is pretty good, can read all formats and has pocket for reading web articles. I support Kobo because fuck amazong.

Kobo aura edition 2 has a worse screen quality than the paperwhite, even though they cost the same. And the software on kobo is slower.

I've had the same first generation Paperwhite ever since they were introduced, the bitch is still going strong with everyday usage. I really can't recommend Paperwhites enough. If I lost it tomorrow, I'd buy a new one the same day.

Librebooted thinkpad w/ Parabola OS & Calibre EPUB reader

stallman.org/ebooks.pdf
>Amazon can remotely delete the ebook using a back door. In 2009, Amazon deleted thousands of copies of George Orwell's 1984. this way.
>Amazon can do anything to a Kindle user through a universal back door.

>"are kindle a botnet"
kill yourself

Why does your e-reader have to be approved by a bunch of autistic weaboos?
Just do some fucking research and get a model that suits your needs you god damn idiot

I have a kindle. I think it's called the Kindle 3 touch or something.

DRM hasn't really been an obstruction to me, I just have calibre automatically convert and email the Kindle whatever i want, which is super nice.

Hey user. How do i get a bibliotik account? Also if not possible, could you share an account? Please

It's very hard to get I think.

I have a kobo glo hd. Is it possible to replace the battery when and if it ever goes bad?

just use calibre???

>Are kindle a botnet
Sup Forums will probably say yes, but it's comfy as fuck. Wouldn't recommend it for reading manga tho.

Kobo. Can be flashed with scripts to disable google analytics, can add custom fonts, doesn't need to be connected to the internet, works perfectly with every format I've tried.

Get out of Sup Forums.

Calibre?

>"are kindle a botnet"
learn to enunciate you stupid fuck

bq Cervantes. Only FOSS e-reader out there.

I'm not sure where you would find batteries, but the connector just snaps up, and the battery is stuck on like a phone's battery, so it's smooth sailing, in theory.

I have the kobo mini which is still updated (Linux based so you can do pretty much everything with it, look mobiread forums)

I bought it 3 year ago for 40e and I still use it with Calibre. No cloud sync, no signup, no nothing!

Pic obviously related

I've been fucking around with the sync system on kobos, and it looks like it has certificate pinning with hardcoded certificates in-binary :(

But, I can confirm that kobo can- and DOES- change your settings remotely, the trash new homescreen comes back for me everytime I do a sync.

But it's easily fixed, just change the NewHome value to something like 0 and save.

It's a fucking pain to do it every sync though.

kobo ui is just shit

I honestly prefer the "regular" kobo UI to the kindle UI (preferences)

But that new kobo UI is just fucking straight up trash, yeah.

What are some decent cheap variants? Are there any under 50$?

Airplane mode or just don't connect it to the internet

I don't care. I just spent 50 euros on a kindleshit, and now i don't need my 18 Ikea billis anymore.

Best invention after paper tape

Considering a 7 inch Kobo, mainly because it's the only E-Reader I can find that resembles a trade paperback sized page. Any other options I should look into for that? Really surprising to me that most E-Readers try to mimic the worst, cheapest versions of books.

I'm happy with my Kobo Aura H20

What's the cheapest ereader that I can get for loading epubs?

I bought a refurb Kobo GLO for $99 australian dollarydoos.

Have a PRS-505 and it's perfect for my epub needs. It's not good for PDFs or gook toons but otherwise it's a perfect reader. Was lucky to get an unused one.

swindles are overpriced and have useless features. For me, the core advantage of an ereader is very long battery life and less eye strain

Any other ereaders with keyboards or should I stick with getting a Kindle Keyboard? I know you used to be able to get root on Kindles, is it possible to bridge the free 3G over Wi-Fi and/or USB?

there's a plugin for Calibre, works just fine for me

Been enjoying my Nook Simple Touch I picked up from a thrift store for 10$
Handles whatever I throw at it and I appreciate the fact that I can root the android OS and pretty much have a shitty android tablet with an eInk screen at anytime.

this but for PDFs
preferably the X200T

When will E-readers get color displays?

If they become a thing then those legal pad sized e-readers might be more useful. Comics, magazines...etc

I got that one too.. Its soo sexy and sleek looking.

I also have a PRS-600 and a kindle 3... The 505 is the oldest(its a 2nd gen. ereader) but still my favorite. If i could somehow transplant a pearl(or better) backlit screen onto it, id be epic. Dont care about wifi, or touch screen.

>I got that one too.. Its soo sexy and sleek looking.
yeah, I was really happy, mine came in mint condition in original box for 25USD
>Dont care about wifi, or touch screen.
same, it's the perfect ereader for epubs in terms of size for me. Backlight doesn't really matter. I honestly think I like reading on a non backlit screen in a lit room since it's the closest to actual paper I can get on an electronic device.

The newest Paperwhite is pretty solid. It has a better pixel density than the comparable kobo ifaik. Just wish it was a little bigger

I picked mine up used 8 years ago for $40cnd. Old guy included a extra case and the PSP charger for it too. I think i might have to swap the battery soon. Since it was designed to be expensive and high-end, theres no glue or junk holding it together as a sealed unit, so it should be easy.

Interesting. My battery is still good since it's been sitting around in a box for years. Yeah, I got the original case with mine too. Good old Sony hardware. It's a shame what the company is becoming.

Had my eye on the Sony Digital Paper but the pricepoint and the fact that it only supports PDFs is a real putoff. Doubt we will ever see any good ereaders from them

Learn how to take a picture without shaking around like an epileptic.

I have one and I like it, paid $250 us for it.

+Feels good
+light
+good UI.
+Waterproof

-Red shifting is kind of glitchy, it'll change color temp a lot every so often. Talking like constantly for 10 seconds or so.
-Sometimes doesn't respond to touch/swipe, it'll take to or three tries to turn the page
-Wish I could change the screensaver to a slideshow of custom images instead of the book cover

>it's
I swear, I never had a problem with apostrophe use before it became a shitposting meme

Are the old Sony ones any good?

Kindles and Kobos literally use the same e-ink screens.

Fuck if that's the case just get a Kobo I guess

Good E Reader just launched a new 6.8" reader for around $200. Thinking of picking one up for the nonshit screen and the microsd, the pen looks gimmicky but whatever

Backlit e-ink has been done for many years now since the Kobo glo set the bar.

Just get a tablet now for that kind of thing. You can get a ching-chong tablet for fuck all.

please leave

>amazon deletes Orwell's 1984 of all books
that's pretty hilarious

I need a reader that just werks by drag & drop, none of that iTunes horseshit, it can be read in the dark and with huge battery life.

The original glo was hot fucking garbage, it didn't set any bars

The second gen paperwhite was the first one with decent lighting

Do you live in some cuck country without a library?

I had the first kobo glo, and the color balanced bent over the paperwhite's shitty quality LED.

Most eReaders can do that shit, of course not kindles cause they're proprietary garbage, but still.

Kobo has a few offers with backlight, but if you want the Amazon botnet the voyage and the latest paperwhite are really solid, with finally ( because Amazon just cared about the profits before and not the product) a non-shit text renderer.

I drag and drop to my kindle all the time. I also use the associated kindle email if I'm too lazy to plug it in to my computer.

That's all e-readers. However if you don't like Amazon cuckware, go for a kobo.
I do recommend using calibre though, it just makes things easy.

Kindles are botnet. But they're among the best E Readers.

>Get Kindle
>remove WiFi antennas
>profit

Get a Kobo.

Anyone ever tried a ching-chong e-ink android device? I've seen them online and it mite b cool to have kobo store available as well as google play store.

I do like the Kindle. If you're a true poorfag you can get a really old one for like $25 easily, $15 if you wait around for an eBay snipe.

If I ever get around to it I want to blackhole or completely remove all the tracking software in the Kindle. I guarantee it saves all your data locally in case you ever accidentally connect to a network. I bet it sends it to the Kindle PC software if you ever connect that, too.

I've been checking the Kobo Glo HD and the kindle paperwhite
I come from an old kindle 4 and I'm used to their ecosystem and formating however the Kobo statics and the pocket connection seem interesting but seems the system is buggy and slow
Anyone recommends it?

I've got a Kobo Aura H2O it does everything I need.
I came from an old keyboard kindle though, so the Kobo has massively better resolution, waterproof is cool. It's frozen a few times, but so did my kindle. Formatting options are massively massively better, much better kerning and shit. Also the AuraH2O has a larger screen which is nice.

All in all it works fine and I like it.

calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

>those Sup Forums book
eww

I got them in a mega link with all the rest of them.

Its not so much the backlit screen but the resolution itself since most other e-readers that have expandable storage usually have shitty low resolution screen.

Nexus tablet with AOSP and without any google services. Get a ebook reader apk from f-droid

>not using e-Ink

do you happen to still have the link? I lost the collection to my stupidity and not backing up

Just get an iPad

no

I have an iPad and a Kindle Paper. Gotta say that as much as I like the iPad, it just doesn't work the same as an e-reader.
Screen reflection and battery life being my main turnoffs. Also the Kindle just fits in my back pocket so I can carry it around all day as if it were a huge phone, which I only charge once every three weeks.

I got a refurbished kindle 5 from aliexpress for 53 bucks. How bad did I fuck up?