/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Xiaomi could arrive in US in 2019
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_could_arrive_in_us_as_early_as_2019-news-24724.php

ZTE Blade MAX 3 launched with Snapdragon 625 SoC and 4,000mAh battery
gsmarena.com/zte_blade_max_3_launched_with_snapdragon_625_soc_and_4000mah_battery-news-24712.php

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 may have a new, better earpiece
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_2_may_have_a_new_better_earpiece-news-24721.php

Google's three new Pixel devices for 2017 will all have the Snapdragon 835 inside
gsmarena.com/googles_three_new_pixel_devices_for_2017_will_all_have_the_snapdragon_835_inside-news-24708.php

Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Exynos) get TWRP custom recovery
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-and-S8-Exynos-get-TWRP-custom-recovery_id93429

4,500mAh battery totting LG X power2 to be launched in June
gsmarena.com/4500mah_battery_totting_lg_x_power2_to_be_launched_in_june-news-24702.php

Samsung Galaxy s8 DeX station unboxing and overview-Tim Schofield
youtu.be/cyO4Hy3Qrwo

Android Authority's Sony Xperia XZs Review: A Minor Upgrade
youtu.be/JWyf2n0ro4Y

old

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Moto-Plus-4th-Gen-Unlocked/dp/B01DZJFYLC
amazon.com/Motorola-XT1621-Factory-Unlocked-International/dp/B01JNP0106/
ebay.com/itm/Nextbit-Robin-32GB-100GB-Cloud-Factory-Unlocked-5-2-13MP-Android-Smartphone-/152258661534?rmvSB=true
youtube.com/watch?v=DtmGMcMeEJE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

still waiting for opinions on

What's the most private and secure phone out of the box? android or modified android only

I'm getting a Huawei Mate 9

modded Andriod, but Windows and iOS is even more secure than that

>Mate 9
>Gambling on the flash memory speed

The real thread is over here guys

What I'd really worry about is longevity with that 550 US dollar device (look at the priv support). Especially since it'll likely be very locked down like you mentioned. At minimum get your hands on one and try it out before committing.

Fuck off idiot, you didn't link to your shitty thread in the old one, and no one cares about Ryzen or Ubunto in a smartphone thread you dumb shit.

Im looking for a sub $150 unlocked smartphone in the US to use on T-Mobile. Any recommendations?

is the priv support that bad, like how bad is it right now?

Moto G4+
amazon.com/Moto-Plus-4th-Gen-Unlocked/dp/B01DZJFYLC

Are you/g/entoomen using a screen protector and/or a case?

If not, why?

Blackberry phones.

Is there an fdroid app that does calorie intake tracking?

depending how the phone is built
>camera hump
case
>metal frame
bumper
a screen protector for me however is a must since even Harambre GLass get scratches rather easily

>Gambling on the flash memory speed
elaborate

Huawei was caught using different types of memory chips in their P10, and apparently it's the case for the Mate 9 too. You could get LDDR3 or 4, or UFS 2.1, 2.0, or emmc, and it's random.

goddamn it
so which phone am i supposed to get now

I dunno, not Huawei though

LG V10 for $300 new. Or the LG V20.

Or do what I'm doing and wait on the Note 8.

I guess I'll go with v20, thank you my man

Be careful about bootloops though

How are bootloops generally fixed? Does it depend on the phone?

Yea. Sometimes a bootloop can be fixed because it's a software issue. The problem LG had with the early G4 and V10 phones was a hardware issue. They rolled out batches of phones that would eventually turn off and never turn back on. This hasn't been an issue in some time. For instance I have had the V10 since they fixed their problem and had no issues at all.

LG never released an actual reason, some people said it was a problem with the solder on the SoC, others the SoC itself. And really even the 5x has bootloop problems so I just don't trust LG at all now.

If my phone bricks during the bootloader unlocking procedure(it says it's not available in the service menu) will i be able to fix it with it's pc suite
(the phone in question is a xperia m4 aqua e2303)

That phone is just a bit out of my budget, anything else under $150?

You can get the regular G4 for $164
amazon.com/Motorola-XT1621-Factory-Unlocked-International/dp/B01JNP0106/

Do you guys think the new samshit s8 is worthy of upgrading to/buying it in general?

It's probably one of the if not the best phone available specs wise. The Exynos SoCs are better than SDs generally, so probably

What do you guys know about straight talk? I have an S7 (SM-G930V), should I be able to go over to them with minimal to no issues?

Why is my battery life so shitty

Went to the store and got my hands on the galaxy s7 and s8. I'm probably going with an s7 because it still has the home button and it seems to be the onlyone with the back button and the right and whatever the other button is on the left. Anyone else let trivial things dictate their phone buying decisions?

Also I have a feeling in gonna be forced to get a phone without the clicky buttons since thats looking to be the next market trend

You can change the buttons order on the S8.

>Blackberry
>Security
You have to be memeing. They gave their encryption keys to the indian government and the canadian police just because they asked.

S8 doesnt have the physical button which may be small but really bothers me

seems like a stupid thing to worry about. and you can switch the button order senpai. good reasons would be fp reader position, flat screen and price.

i have a samsung galaxy s4

what should I upgrade to if I want longevity and battery life? I''ve got a $500 best buy gift card. Also, I need to root it, if android

Ive had a physical button on every phone ive ever had. Its a factor of what im used to and physical buttons feel more satisfying to press. Plus you have to swipe to pull up the buttons in some screens instead of the button always being on hand so to speak.

Post useage and SoT you dumb nigger, not a useless chart with no device name.

Picking up my G6 tomorrow. Hyped. Have been using G5 for last year.

look what came in the mail

enjoy your slowdown and lag in six months :^)

Not bad at all. April security patch was released a few weeks late but that is the exception rather than the rule. My girlfriend's Galaxy S6 is still on the November 2016 patch. There are rumors that Nougat is in the works, which might be why the April patch was released so late.

Blackberry's customer support is also godly. Beats the shit out of what I used to put up with at Samsung.

S7 or OP3T

Nextbit Robin
ebay.com/itm/Nextbit-Robin-32GB-100GB-Cloud-Factory-Unlocked-5-2-13MP-Android-Smartphone-/152258661534?rmvSB=true

>5.2" 1080p display with Gorilla Glass 4
>Android 7.0 Nougat
>Snapdragon 808
>3GB RAM, 32GB storage and 100GB free cloud storage
>Dual front facing speakers
>USB C, NFC, fingerprint reader
>Full support for AT&T and T-Mobile network bands
>Official LineageOS build

Jealousy the post

good bait m8 :^)

64GB + 128GB MicroSD, storage for days lads

Is there any source for Galaxy phones falling victim to this short of people trying to meme them into iPhone style issues? I've had an S4 since the day it came out and it still runs the same as it always has.

Thanks user!
Do you have a priv on your own? Can you tell me how much it is locked down?
See for reference.

>buy a beautifully designed phone
>put an ugly case on it
why

>Xiaomi could arrive in US in 2019
fucking FINALLY

>buy a beautifully designed phone
>put an ugly case on it
>why
Because when you're done using it, ut still looks like new and you can either sell it and a good as new phone on your shelf alongside your other previous phones

>all this talk about phones losing support after a year or two

I don't normally like Apple products all that much but all I can say is thank God for the iPhone. I'm still using the same iPhone 5c that I got on my parents' corporate plan when I started university in 2013. It's running the latest version of iOS as of today. Name me a single Android phone, flagship or not, from that time period which is still supported with the latest OS updates. The Nexus 5? Maybe? But it's not getting Nougat as far as I can tell.

It's a shame because I really like Android as an environment. But there really is no excuse for this- Samsung's margins are almost as good as Apple's, and Blackberry is still supporting 4-year-old phones on a dying platform.

>Orient

The official "I couldn't afford a Seiko SARB" watch

Isn't the exynos socs usually unavailable for the u.s? If so, where can you purchase one with exynos?

Oh yeah, that's true you get the Snapdragon ones. Well the SD 835 is still a great CPU so it'll be fine!

Why do they do this, anyways? Just not capable of producing enough of the Exynos chips to go around every market?

Phone SoC's aren't just CPUs.

Do you mean like do I own a Priv? I do indeed, had it since March 2016.

As for "locking down", I don't think it is locked in the sense that you're thinking of. The version of Android that Blackberry puts on their shit is pretty close to stock, and you can modify all the settings and appearance things you would normally be able to on a stock OS. What people are talking about when they say it is " locked down" is the bootloader is locked so it is difficult to load a custom ROM. This doesn't really bother me since I've fooled around with custom ROMs before and find them to be a bit of a hassle. Also all your shit on the phone is encrypted so it runs a bit slower than comparable devices. Has to be some kind of tradeoff for security.

My 2nd gen Moto E has lasted me since 2015 but now it's shitting all over me, luckily I'm not as much of a poorfag as I used to be.

Reporting in from Canada with Telus and a 400$ budget (may go a bit higher). Looking to get a phone with an SD slot, minimal bloat, and good performance. Was considering the G4 Plus but idk. Any recommendations?

Nah, its a patent issue.

So I just got a Moto G5+ after a decade using Apple and Microsoft phones. I'm planning on rooting it, but what are some useful or fun apps for android that you guys can recommend?

I'm also leaning a little about cybersecurity; any android stuff out there?

OP3T or G5+.

Exynos don't have modems for your shit carriers Verizon and Sprint since they use CDMA, so they have to use Snapdragon chips

>shit carriers
>Verizon

Getting a Moto G5 by the end of the week, anything I should know? I want to delete Gapps, I found a root tutorial, but I was thinking whether someone already rooted a motog5 and what tutorial they used for it.

Thank you!

Except there is no proof they have skimped on the mate 9.

"The exec even went as far as suggesting that the "crooked" competitors have been blowing things out of proportions to smear Huawei. "We would never do such a despicable thing as cutting corners." Well, Mr. Yu, numbers don't lie (he even stressed that all theMate 9units have the faster UFS memory), so we'll just have to view your words as a non-apology"

Op3t. Both are aging but the Op3t will age a lot better. Better community support and already the faster device.

>not putting your phone in a case when you leave the house and taking it out when you are home

>using a case
Lmao, no thanks.

Very occasional Sup Forums lurker here.

I'm reading a lot (and I mean A LOT) of negative shit about the S7 all over the internet - loads of normie hate. I've been using the S4 for the past 3 years with pretty much no hitches, I have about £350/$450 budgeted for a new phone. I like android, privacy and a phone that uses it's battery economically.

Is the S7 a good bet, does it have the stamp of approval around here?

youtube.com/watch?v=DtmGMcMeEJE

I won't spoil it for you but C is the best for me.

Whatever happened to the Moto E anyways? Was it replaced by the G4 Play?

Take it from someone who has been buying expensive phones all his life, don't bother spending more than $400 on a phone. Because no matter what they are going to be garbage after 2 years or so. I got a Moto G4 plus at BestBuy a few weeks ago for $230, even though it's refurbished I couldn't be happier. I'm completely okay with this phone coming from a Galaxy S4 so you'll probably love it coming from a Moto E. Best part, I'll use this shit for 2 years and probably sell it for around $60, meaning I only suffer depreciation of $85 per year on a not-too-bad phone.

Being a poorfag sucks, but being cheap when you don't need to be is a lot of fun.

CDMA, by default, allows for far greater carrier control over your phone than GSM, and therefore any carrier that uses it is shit.

I use a glass screen protector because they are the only ones that don't feel like shit. Normally I'm against a case because the phones look so good without them, however, I have one on my phone because I have a knife in the same pocket and I don't want my phone getting scratched

lol does it really matter to you if people post in your version?

will Nokia 6 be a worthy contender to upgrade from a 2nd gen Moto Sup Forums

don't care about how fast it can run pokememe go or w/e as long as it can handle the ever more bloated google play shit and chrome

Just wondering
But for people who has to have the newest top of the line phones. What do you do on them?
Do you have them just for the prestige and material value? Or do you actually make use for the specs?

OP3T seems like a good choice but damn, $600+ is a bit out of my range. G5+ also seems good but it's not available in this country for some godawful reason.

I was actually looking at refurbished G4+ phones at Best Buy earlier, go figure. Any cons of having refurbished vs new?

Nokia 6 seems like a Moto G4+ specwise but sexier, I'd like to get one but fuck me if Nokia will ever give us a release.

>using chrome
Lightning is free as in freedom and as in beer, it's on F-droid and it werks miles better than chrome

VIA Browser is fine too, more chrome-like

The Blackberry Priv is on sale from Blackberry's website right now for $399. Pretty damn good price for what is a solid performer and probably the last unique Android phone. Bloat is minimal since it's basically stock Android and there's an SD card slot. Also, keyboard.

intredasting, thanks

>implying there are no beautiful cases

Refurbished things are like a shot in the dark. Sometimes you get lucky and have the same thing as new for a lot less money, sometimes you get fucked and end up with neverending problems. I've had both happen to me but so far this phone seems good. For $230 it's amazing, don't know if I would be as enthusiastic if I were paying the full $350 for it.

Why can't they make 4,7" to 5,2" phones with near flagship specs? Every beast just has to be 5,5 or 6 giant

pixel XL is best phone

Check Xperia phones, specifically the compact series

Prease, prease respond

Last week my Asus Zenfone 2 Laser suddenly became stuck in a boor loop, now a friend of mine also has a Zenfone 2 Laser in a boot loop, wtf is this shit?

>Android
>privacy
But seriously, look at the ZTE AXON 7 or the One Plus 3T

I find little to no reason to upgrade from my 3yo Sony Xperia Z3, and I would only consider an iPhone just to use smth other than Android, but the value for money doesn't seem to be worth it.

Not them but I don't need proof, you retards cap over these chinkphone specs while not realizing the components they use are trash

They're great, don't listen to poorfags recommending zte phones

Android+Privacy:

>Blackphone
>Blackberry Priv

Considering how tinfoil Sup Forums is, I'm surprised these two do not get shilled more often.

ask someone who got his HTC 10 flashed for verizon anything

Apple is no better with privacy, blackberry used to be but they've switched to android so same shit, that's why I asked if buying a blackberry with their last OS bbos? was secure

Okay, I'm probably not as privacy focused as I first thought. But the general idea is that the S7 is meh?

I've heard nothing but the S7 being a great phone with tons of good features, but accompanied with shitty software by Samsung and meh-support.

Otherwise I don't recall anything negative besides the whole note7 thing

Nobody buys that shit anymore, just like 16:10 monitors.