Unity3d

Dear Sup Forums, Would you mind red pilling me on Unity3d?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4
youtube.com/watch?v=Y_5JDWNzFRI
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/art
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Unity is a cross-platform game engine developed by Unity Technologies and used to develop video games for PC, consoles, mobile devices and websites. First announced only for OS X, at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in 2005, it has since been extended to target 27 platforms. Nintendo provides free licenses of Unity 5 to all licensed Nintendo Developers along with their software development kits (SDKs) for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Family.

Five major versions of Unity have been released. At the 2006 WWDC show, Apple named Unity as the runner up for its Best Use of Mac OS X Graphics category.

unity can be used to make videogames

>proprietary license
Trash.

Use Godot, 3.0 is about to hit alpha and it is looking really promising.

Blizzard made lots of money using it

All video game engines are trash one way or another.

Godot won't save you from having skills to do anything more complicated, either.

Depends on your goals as a developer.

Godot as it stands is more than enough to make some shitty little mobile game to sell to normies for big bux. Even better is its MIT license, no royalties or legal shit, you pocket all your earnings.

>can't deploy to PlayStation 4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch

You seriously think you're going to get a deal with Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft?

It's alright I guess, makes it easy if you wanted to get into game dev. Not my interest so eh.

youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4
These guys did.

What the fuck is to be redpilled here? Unity3D is the biggest fucking thing if you're doing a mobile game. Why? It has a big fucking community, a shitload of good tooling around it making your work fucking easier, and external fucking tools for easy advert systems. If you're into game jamming, then Unity is also fucking perfect-it's very easy to do a quick fucking project in it. The problem with it? Unity3D doesn't force you to sanitize your code in any certain ways, which leads to pajeets using it to do poo-in-the-loo games leading to poor reception of the end-users of the games with a "made with unity" underline.
So basically, the rule of the thumb is: If you don't want to make a triple A project with unity you're fucking fine. Otherwise: you're in for a fucking ride, a triple A game in Unity3D requires you to reallly know your shit, m8.

Isn't Unreal Engine 4 completely free while with Unity you have to pay $125 per month, per user to get the complete feature set?

Yeah, UE is the common sense option if you can't make your own engine. Shit is incredibly easy.

Well that game looks mildly fun even if it is shit
This on the other hand:
youtube.com/watch?v=Y_5JDWNzFRI
Also trips

What? No. Not anymore at least. Unity now doesn't have some hidden features to those paying besides a dark theme for the editor and some things that would be only used by bigger studios anyway (like cache server for instance).

Unreal Isn't free. Go onto their site. You pay 5% of what you gained from selling your game.

Furthermore anything you make with UE4 isn't actually yours, it's Epic's and they can do whatever they want with it including cut you out of the picture entirely.

Proprietary licencing - not even once

Program to make entertainment for menchildren.

Why do you people hate video games so much?

>wanting to release games on locked down DRM consoles
Disgusting.

Because you people take them too seriously.

>keeping your games away from ~98% of all gamers

You might as well not make games at all if that's your attitude.

A lot of people take movies and music very seriously and no one gives them any crud for it.

>98% of all gamers
Implying they aren't all plebs who are only interested in call of duty and grand theft auto bullshit.

Also the most popular computing platform in the world right now is Android, which is Linux-based and mostly open source.

Consoles are the only way a majority of gamers play. Steam is the largest gaming distribution platform for PC, even for Linux.

If you won't release your games on these platforms, don't be surprised if no one plays them.

You're trying to compare art and culture with games?

>Also the most popular computing platform in the world right now is Android, which is Linux-based and mostly open source.

The largest distribution platform on Android is the Google Play Store, and most games on Android are closed source.

Video games ARE art.

No they're not, they're just virtual toys.

Until we can agree on a definition of "art" either nothing is art or everything is art. In the end its always just some gay argument over semantics nobody will ever agree upon.

Why do you see it that way?

its one of the best option to make 3d games on a indie perspective, the other one is unreal engine. If you want to make 2d games go for game maker instead tho. in the end its not about the engine, but commitment to finish it. try >/vg/agdg

you actually can deploy for playstation and xbox. but you need a deal for that if im not mistaken.

Sup Forums tier trash.
But you could probably get a comfy job if you learn how to use it.

that make more money than movies you fucking tool. its real money we dont even need to compare anymore.

>Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power.

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/art

You call them "toys" so you can feel smug about not playing them and fabricate an imaginary hierarchy in your mind to place yourself above those who do play games.

still we cant find complex plots in video games. by that i mean, video games still will have to take 10 to 20 years of indie gaming so we can get into kubric´ s or Picasso´s level of complexity. mabe we got there in the gameplay aspect, or in the aestetic of the 3d, human like thing. But we still lack writers for deep immersion movies can achieve.

Thankfully the younger and upcoming generations are not so adherent to this closed-minded perspective, and are more open and accepting of video games as something to be warmly embraced rather than something to be ashamed of.

>that make more money than movies
And making money somehow make them not toys for little kids to play, after finishing their homework?
>You call them "toys" so you can feel smug about not playing them
No, I don't feel smug about not playing them, I could play games I just never feel like playing them, I could also play with my hula hoop or with my Teenage mutant ninja turtles but I never felt like playing with those either.

Thanks user ^_^

Its a game engine
Some people love it, some people hate it. Personally I'm in the love it camp, theres tons of support for it, a massive community and some premade assets if you dont want to waste time on a small feature thats already been done the world over (for example, I recently needed a colour picker for a project).
Its got its flaws and its got its pro's, but I like it.

I personally favour Unity over Unreal as its a bit more diverse as to what kind of games you want to make. Unity lends itself well to pretty much all art styles, 2d or 3d, out the box. Unreal, in my experience, requires a bit of fiddling to get it working with some kinds of games. Its a good engine, just not for me.

Also, Unity is free, you just need to cough up when you start earning like $50,000 a year or something.

I use it as a presentation tool, hypercharges my proposals

You pay 5% if you make over 3000 quarterly. So, an indie dev would be much better off using unreal rather than unity. Not to mention unity sucks at optimization, or at least it currently has only 1 non-housefire game (hearthstone)

>go for gamemaker
No. It's shit. Godot and cocos2dx are much more powerful and free.

>2017
>have to pay for dark theme
this is just ridiculous

You still have people call things like well-prepared food, proper swimming technique, cool cars and various other barely associated objects or actions "art".

These days, "art" is generally synonymous with "good". It doesn't mean much when you have people call things as mundane as a game of badminton "art". If video games aren't art yet a greasy backalley burger is, that is pretty fucking idiotic if you ask me.