/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>delidded i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>RX550/RX560 is worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap or play low end shit
>1060 is worth considering over a 570 if same/cheaper in your country. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/qsLQYr
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RNTNFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/PGZj7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/XPjsCy
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
pcpartpicker.com/list/hYpW8K
pcpartpicker.com/product/xjZ2FT/phanteks-case-phec416pbk
pcpartpicker.com/list/nq6PHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/ymdtBP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for intel > amd.

pajeet out

Wait. DoW III is out?

Rare build coming through beep beep
pcpartpicker.com/list/qsLQYr

They have an open beta ongoing now and - at least according to Putin's IT department - it really likes AMD hardware.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

>pcpartpicker.com/list/qsLQYr
horrid stop being poor

Curious to see benchmarks for the 1500X and 1600/X as well. Probably a few frames behind the 1800X

The 380x appears to be ass whopping the 960 according to this benchmark, but of course multiple sources are needed for verification. Seems like that engine isn't updated for the Polaris cards though, considering the 470 is just above the 380X (provided the reported 380X performance is accurate).

>2015 $650 Fury X 62fps minimum
>2016 $700 1080 67fps minimum
** F
W I N E
** N
** E

Consider the 290x - it still refuses to give a fuck and continues to be a monster nearly 4 years later.

It appears that the 5960X is considerably CPU bottlenecking. them.

Good to know it'll still run fine on my 6 year old 7970 like basically everything does, though.

Which is the best RX 570 model to get? And is it worth considering an RX 480 8GB if all I will be doing is 1080p gaming?

Riddle me this, which is the godmachine of gpus - 7970 or 290x?

>tfw bought a 290x back in october 2013
>watercooled in summer 2014
>oc to 1200mhz
>still towards the top of every benchmark
damn i love this thing

Repostan from last thred:
>germoney
>800 bucks max, lower prefered
>gaming non aaa titles (heroes of the storm, starcraft 2, diablo 3, civ 5)
>browsing
>programming
>dual booting windows and linux

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RNTNFd

Some user suggested to go for a mATX case since it's also a mATX mainboard so I swapped the fractal one in.
MSI mainboards are supposed to be bad? I went for the asrock pro 4 instead and also switched out the psu for a semi modular one.
The gpu is a placeholder since I'm currently waiting for the release of the rx 560 to see how it performs.
Any suggestions? Brands I should avoid because they are shit after all?

I'm annoyed because I used Trixx to give me the voltage required to hit 1200mhx (I need an insane 1.4v) and for whatever reason after doing a fresh isntall of win10 (it worked on the old install) Trixx now locks me to 2d clocks and adding the required voltage to afterburner has always been a bit flaky for me.

trixx is trash, and i can get the 290x to that on 1.25

Unless you have a golden sample I severely doubt your 290x hits 1200mhz on 1.25v. The average overclock for the chip is 1150mhz.

Have an old pic of one of my mental overclock runs.

>2013 $550 290X, 64fps minimum
>2014 $550 GTX 980, 61fps minimum
AMD was always at least a year ahead for so long up until the past year, yet they always sold less cards.

I don't regret getting my 7970, but definitely the 290X.
They just kept getting absurdly better year over year up until the 290X.
The 7970 I'd probably put tied for 3rd with the 8800 GTX after the 290X and 9800pro.

Though I guess it might be too early to say whether, 2 years from now, the 290X is as good as the 7970 is 6 years later. It's got a 2 year lead.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/qsLQYr

just dont

im a get a image soon

also my asic quality is within the 90th percentile on a reference card

ASIC quality doesn't mean shit and hasn't done for a long time. It is one of those old memes that refuses to die.

I bet EVGA made killing when they were selling (iirc) 980ti's binned by asic quality.

For 1080p gaming you should be getting rx580 8gb
for 1440p gtx 1070
upgrade from 570 to 580 is what you need to pass the 60fps ceiling at 1080p

Please state your reasoning because everything I have heard has said otherwise.

I found a solution to my problem. I was getting a blue screen of death when installing windows for the first time on a new PC.

Long story short: DO NOT DOWNLOAD WINDOWS ON YOUR SCHOOL'S PLATFORM EVEN IF IT'S FREE

It's just not working. I found a torrent for it and now everything's fine. Thought I'd let you faggots know.

I've got two 7970s. One of them was the non-reference MSI with golden dies. It hits 1325MHz stable in all the common benchmarks. I don't recall at what voltage, but not that high and VRM temps under 73C and card under 65C.
That's an almost 45% increase over the 925MHz base.
The average overclock for 7970s was around 1170-1180.

The range in afterburner is 800-1350mV so I'm guessing probably 1.3V-1.35V. I'm not going to do it again, though. Too hot. I run it undervolted at 1.025v and 989MHz instead.

This isn't rare from what I've gathered. Those usual limits like 1180MHz are generally due to some safeties on the PCB and not a limitation of the GPU die.

Hey Sup Forumsents i'm looking to do a build and was wondering what you think. The slightly overkill PSU is for possible future SLI.
pcpartpicker.com/list/PGZj7h

Reasoning is 60fps at v.high or high settings.
with 580 and 1440p you will be playing on medium
with 570 and 1080p you will concstantly run in to situations in with you almost almost hit 60 but not quite and you will be forced to either deal with 50fps or dial down important settings and maind you we are talking about going down from high/v.high not about ultra.

Best is the Red Devil, I guess. 1320MHz. Hard to tell exactly. Check reviews.

>is it worth considering an RX 480 8GB if all I will be doing is 1080p gaming?
If it's a decent model and within $20 of the same price, yeah. If an XFX GTR? Definitely. ROG Strix? Maybe. Windforce or reference? Not really.

>with 580 and 1440p you will be playing on medium
There's only like 5-10 games that you'll have to drop down to medium settings out of the many thousands of games.

Oh woops, that has 4k for Deus Ex.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/PGZj7h
Sli is a meme regardless of tier of gpu. You either buy best of the best and sli it from the start because you basically wipe your ass with dolar bills or you sell your gpu and buy next one. Thinking about
>may be i will do sli in the future
is pointless there will never be a good time for it.

Has anyone got a good budget (£650/$800) Ryzen 5 1600 built/list that they'd be willing to share?

So far the only part that I've bought is the monitor (lg-22MP68VQ-P) and I'm pretty set on getting the storage (Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£60/$70), but I'm lost at what I should do next, since I decided to change my whole build after Ryzen came out

>YOUR SCHOOL'S PLATFORM
Does this mean onthehub or some self-hosted software repository?

a 570/4 is okay, but the 580/4 is only $20-30 more. You'll really regret not parting with that Franklin when the 570 is slipping off 60fps and the 580 is still holding.

jpegview
honeyview
irfanview

eh i probably wont but its not like having an over kill psu is an issue

My only worry is that I am on a budget and can't afford a $250 RX 580 8GB or a simililarly priced RX 480 8GB. So a $230 RX 580 8GB, RX 580 4GB, or RX 470 are my only options.
RX 570s range from $180 to $200 while XFX GTRs are currently in the $250-$270 price range.
So grab the RX 580 4GB? I was told that the preformance difference was minimal between the two.

planning a build with i5 7500 and gtx 1070 what should my mobo be

B350. Also scratch the i5 7500 and get a R5 1600.

>RX 570s range from $180 to $200 while XFX GTRs are currently in the $250-$270 price range.
Yes. That was my point.

>i5
>2017
read the OP and fucking trash that shit

>There's only like 5-10 games
the important ones and there will only be more of them

You buy gpu to play back catalog and indies? or to hapli play for the next 2 years not caring much for if game will run or not?

Plus your tests are shit avrage of 60 means nothing if game drops to 40 or stutters. Posting graphs with only avrage should be puinished by locking in shower room with bunch of homosexual negros.

Most of them are shit games.
GR Wildlands, for examples.

Those benchmarks clearly show it'll play almost anything at 1440p 60fps+ at "high" at the worst. Those benches are on vh/ultra except for Ashes and Deus Ex.
There's nothing to argue. You just spout bullshit out from your ass that contradict the benchmarks done on all those new games.

*happily

>Plus your tests are shit avrage of 60 means nothing if game drops to 40 or stutters
Show benchmarks of one of those games averaging at 60fps that keeps dropping down to 40.

How good of a motherboard is the MSI B350M Gaming Pro? Thinking of getting it to cut down the price for my mobo and case.

no its you who sput up bullshit feel good propaganda

>uhh uhh games dont play at 60? Those are shit games you dont need them.

How many more games you
>want need?

Just buy rx550 and play cs go/dota and games from pre 2012 all other games are shitty games any way right?

nice goalposts. You clearly lost and have no argument. No sources, just shit you pull out your ass and strawmans you make up.

Needs 60GB SSD if it's a HTPC

Looking at these benchmarks, I'm completely embarrassed that fellow humans spent nearly 400USD on 1070s

Completely wrong. Literally stupid

>deal with 50fps or dial down important settings
No.

Anyway non-vsync 50FPS is great.

Interesting set of charts, and while the 580 may be ok for 1440p right NOW, looking ahead it would have a tough road.

What is your monitor? Unless it's >100Hz 1440p Gsync, pick one then figure out your budget for the rest of the build

pcpartpicker.com/list/XPjsCy

Is this bad?

I'm trying to keep it under 700$, but maximize my options for running virtual machines and emulators, as well as games at 1080p.

It's shit.

hey guys im looking to max everything at 1080p 60fps for a while what makes more sense a gtx 1080 or 1070?

to not look far

Thanks

Neither since you are asking the wrong question.

>Anyway non-vsync 50FPS is great.
Stutters tearing and constant drops to 40s are grate?

Why dont you simply play on console?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/XPjsCy
you made it as bad as it could be on propose right?

I'm not sure I understand whats wrong with it.

than what is the right question?

building platform for overclockable i3 is what is wrong with it

>building platform for overclockable i3
I selected it because I have a spare M.2 Drive, and this was one of the cheaper ones with that option.

Pretty bad honestly.

1070, but you should be at 1440p with a 1070.

There's no tearing as long as the max framerate stays below 50. Stutters aren't something that usually happen at modest framerates, and drops to 40 are meh. Depends on the game. Any esports game (where you actually want locked 60 or greater) is going to be ridiculously easy to run. E.g., Overwatch, R6 Siege

Check some of the builds here for core component examples
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

Thanks

bump

There is no single question to ask and even if there was there are no answers as nobody can predict the future. However to be somewhat informative you say "1080p max" while asking about gpus shows you are vastly overlooking cpu requirements along with any other potential limiters a system might have (not all of which can be fixed by throwing hardware at it). The point is you can't pin down projected performance based upon a relatively vague question - especially given the topic at hand is full of options that have diminishing returns that often have a staggering performance impact.

>i3
>locked cpu on a z170 board
>kaby lake on a previous gen board that might not support it
>8GB of single stick RAM at a weird speed

1070 is cheaper, 1080 will be able to help get higher FPS on more demanding games likes Witcher. 1070 is still perfectly fine for 60fps on high/max on most games.

Sauce on OP pic?

Just FYI, an average FPS of 60 or slightly above will have drops below that and will stutter, more or less. That really won't get you a solid, smooth 60FPS in any of those games except BF1 maybe. Average FPS really isn't a very good measure of how smooth a game runs and a RX580 wouldn't be good enough for those games at the settings used to benchmark them.

>i3
Not sure why I3s are bad if I'm doing emulation
>locked cpu on a z170 board
M.2 Drive Board that has a decent price (But I changed it)
>kaby lake on a previous gen board that might not support it
Literally what
>8GB of single stick RAM at a weird speed
well meme'd

Or you could simply build a Ryzen PC which is better for work anyways and most mobos also come with one or two M.2 slots.

Almost ready to pull the trigger on this. What do you guys think? Anything I should change/reconsider? Already have the RAM, SSD, and HDD.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hYpW8K

But then I'm out of my 700$ price range, and the performance for virtual machines and the applications I'll be running will be subpar compared to an i3.

Unless I'm wrong.

Maybe get cheaper case and invest that money into gold PSU and get an AC wifi card.

I've been stuck on my case decision for months, are there any that you would recommend?

i3s are kind of a waste since pentinum can get close to those clock speeds. And ryzen 5 or i5 would be a better investment with more cores and threads for work.

Kaby lake cpus had an issue that they wouldn't POST on Z170s since the BIOS update required a CPU in the board to POST before updating it, so you needed a Skylake to update the BIOS before placing the Kaby lake in it.

8GB of RAM is kind of small and 16GB is the recommeded minimum. 2666 MHz just seems like a weird number since 3000 and 3200 MHz are available.

What's the difference between the p400s and the p400? pcpartpicker.com/product/xjZ2FT/phanteks-case-phec416pbk

Sound dampening materials are used in the P400S.

>and the performance for virtual machines and the applications I'll be running will be subpar compared to an i3
No. Just no. The only situation the i3 will be better is single threaded applications, that's it. For VMs you want more cores/threads to give your VM more while not starving the host to death.
R5 1400 or 1500X should be within your budget, if you could stretch it a little a R5 1600 would be nice for productivity.
Idk what you want with your VMs, but i recommend 16GB RAM, 8GB might not be enough depending on what you want to do.

If you want a silent case the Define S should be cheaper, add a third fan to the case and you're good.

The Define C just came out last year and is better.

What is the difference between the Define C and Define S?

The Define C has a PSU basement and better cable management options.

nah i'm getting the 7500 because it was recommended on one of these threads

>Needs 60GB SSD if it's a HTPC
What do you think the microSD adaptor is for?
I have a bunch of $11 125GB microSD cards laying around.
So there is my $16 125GB microSD drive

So if I bite the bullet and purchase this, I'll be better off overall?

I'm still worried about single-core performance

pcpartpicker.com/list/nq6PHN

why are you listening to obvious AMD shills. do some research yoursef. Hint: the i3 is not the answer

It's $20 difference and not worth it if on budget.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ymdtBP
This is what you want. Maybe add a second intake fan and you're good.
Note that Gigabyte made shitty RX400 cards and idk if they have changed the PCB, but if you don't want to OC it it's ok.

> virtual machines
AMD is basically your only option for VM without getting a Xeon.
Their virtualization runs so much faster.

>emulators
Make a dedicated $350 emulator box later if you feel you need it. I think you'll find that Ryzen does everything except Cemu fine. And Cemu is still improving and should run fine on it later on.

You can make a $700 R5 build that's way better.
Though that 7100 is on sale at Fry's for like $80 or $90 right now which is a decent deal to make a little HTPC emulator box with.

Oh, I didn't know he had a small budget.

So the Define S seems like a good choice. How does everything else on the list look?

do those benchmarks really look reputable to you?
Do you really think the 1070 only gets 62 FPS in GTAV at very high settings 1080p?
And that still doesn't show a 33% disparity between min and max frames, retard.

Not with Freesync.

>RX580 8GB + Freesync 1440p 40-144hz IPS
$270+$400 = $670
>GTX 1070 + Gsync 1440p 40-144hz IPS
$370+$600 = $970
>$300 more for a 9-34% fps increase.
It's just plain not worth it.
With that $300 savings, you can buy a whole new better card next year even if you decide to throw your RX580 in the trash instead of reselling it.

1070+gsync is poor price/performance. Only worth considering a 1080 or above.

Um, no. All Intel CPUs can do virtualization.

I'd drop down to a 1500x since you don't need the extra cores, and you can overclock it higher.

>All Intel CPUs can do virtualization.
At inferior performance

>an average FPS of 60 or slightly above will have drops below that and will stutter, more or less.
Only if the monitor is a 60Hz monitor and you're using Vsync. The the Vsync will drop the displayed FPS to 30 the moment the real FPS drops to 59, and then it jumps back to 60 as soon as the real FPS exceeds 60 again, causing a type of stutter.

As long as the real FPS stays below the monitor's refresh rate you're fine